D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

deja vu

Its been a while since Joe Bageant published the Zombie Food Court piece, I would have thought that revelation alone would have changed some of us forever, but it did not. Some of us think such knowledge are just words arranged in a particularly appealing manner, maybe as appealing as Classic Comics, better than the average Mickey Mouse, but just cartoons after all is said and done. Joe's work was followed up, by me anyway, into Arthur Silber's Once Upon a Time blog, I'd liken it to post grad studies for those of us who majored in Zombie Food Courts during the undergrad phase in the Honors section and which head-master Visible rules the entire university, humorously, but indisputably. I can offer but small details, little subvariations on the theme, sociological anthropology I understand its called. Readership has nothing to do with anything after a point, the point being a moment in time where you pause to reflect on everything happening before rejoining your normal life, the one where you do laundry, collect firewood, buy milk at the convenience store gas pump fried chicken stripmall add-on. Sometimes I wish I'd never started blogging, its always there, waiting for more food, an open yaw like a comma in the day. Shall we talk about this week and last? Dinnergate? Tigergate? Huckabeegate? Ohhhhh, Climategate? No, how bout Moretroopsgate? We will not talk about healthgate. I am flat out never in the mood to discuss the health reform bill, why that's just talking trash and we don't want do that now, do we? In fact, there is nothing the Illusion does that is worth talking about unless we're talking real and since there is nothing real about the Illusion, we'd be talking about things that are said to be happening that are the opposite of what is and will be happening. Is there any point in talking about activities that do not exist and never have?

I am far more interested in real things. Then it gets good. Then my ears perk up, finally, we've been waiting for this. Why things are the way they are, our patterns, cycles, how we traverse this journey on this planet in this era. What we do for our survival, the graduating extremes we allow ourselves to experience and how we feel about our experience, that's the hot area. For example, at this stage of the miseducation of the born outcast, at this level of understanding where we admit to knowing nothing, but know something indescribable is taking place, you know things out there are impacting your trip ... severely. You know it is on the increase and you have no idea when it will change for the better or what to do to help that change along. If you are watching others, as we cannot help but do, you are amazed how much punishment they can take and remarkably, the suicide rate is relatively low for these ongoing horrors. Of course, suicide takes many forms, the most common aside from actually jumping off a tall building is substance abuse in which every act and breath is slow death. Another and likely even more common is the fallback into your pattern suicide. This is where one reverts to autopilot behavior learned from childhood success with the method, the one where you infinitely repeat your scenes, good and bad, in different geographies, employments or social situations meaning they are always disguised from the performers as if something new was taking place requiring a brand new solution every time. This is especially common to repeat victims in domestic violence and repeat offenders of crimes, they fail to note the overall picture of their life is unchanging due to a change of costume and the variance in script. When you understand the stakes in the game, you run as fast as possible to the most comfortable outlet, which is your own pattern, its always been there, there must be huge comfort in its familiarity - but none of that is noticed. Not noticing is what keeps the pattern happy. It does not have to deal with any Zombie Food Courts or petty emotional drama. Mostly, its the least embarrassing of all choices because you think its not noticed by anyone and its probably not since everyone else is busy patterning as well.
At some horrible point the pattern is broken and personal change is inevitable. It always happens, no one gets out of here alive. For some of us there are a series of pivotal moments which have the cumulative effect of powerful adjustment and we can see ourselves as we are, at least briefly. If only we had done this, or that, then. Its a very individual thing, the one mind is made up of humans carrying damaged baggage packed with individualized memories. Its only fair to see ourselves as the sum combination of inherited biological traits and anthropogenic experience. Patterns in plots we could say, all of us protagonists and all of us behind the Super 8 working toward that Fellini moment. We won't get there because that is just the pattern working in which the same old solutions are applied to the same old situations that brought you to where you are at this moment in time, typing, puffing, reading bad news, procrastinating on possibility, the broken record going round and round repeating a David Crosby lyric:
...And I feel
Like I've been here before
Feel
Like I've been here before
And you know
It makes me wonder
What's going on...

I'm just going to say this one time, we are already in the predicted disaster. The reason it isn't better known is things appear visually to be the same as always, when you look out there. We mustn't acknowledge disaster because that would incite real civil war the likes of which have never been imagined or exist in any pattern anywhere with this amount of people in this amount of misery. What is of constant amazement to me personally is that we are alive on Earth in this time to see it if we are looking. I want no part of it, just as I want no part of terrorgate, greenshootgate and deficitgate, but we both know peace of mind and tranquility is extremely rare as of late, don't we. One must make the effort, in spite of circumstance, to do something good for oneself and others as often as possible. Its the only thing that works. Trust me, I know.

21 comments:

Susannah said...

At this moment in time I find solace in trusting in Awareness.
That Awareness or Presence that is here right now.
My daughter is living in the city - her power has been cut.
Fortunately it is summer - although having said that it is still freezing.
Farmers are concerned, grapes are not getting enough heat to grow,
Bummer for this region, everyone pulled out the fruit trees to grown wine.
Ship of fools or what.

nina said...

One has to suppose they plan to be drunk now after laying in a huge supply of comfort in a bottle, or calabash bowl, whichever. Maybe they will do what the Californian family farmers did in freezes, march through the orchards with torches. Yes, ship of fools floundering with every wave.
Can your daughter get a lantern?

Rick Garves said...

Nina:
Well said. Not much can be done when The Zombie Food Court is the only game in town.
All we can do is what you said: do something good for oneself and others as often as possible,
living to die another day. As I have said before about going past an accident and can’t help but look. The difference with us is we just don’t look - we report on it. But this IS what we do, it IS who we are. Just remember what I wrote to you about The Circle. Bottom line is: All Things Must Pass. Evil will not rule the day forever and conversely so Good will not overcome Evil and triumph forever either. It is the Law of The Universe. Once realized and embraced this is comfort and reassurance. It is what allows one to get through anything.

Free download of CSN&Y Déjà Vu:

http://www.4shared.com/file/144976292/3f9742b5/Crosby_Stills_Nash__Young_-_06.html

feel free to distribute far and wide

su said...

She has two gods, one a lantern the second scrabble.

Neptune, as they say this too will pass.

Jacob Gittes said...

"Another and likely even more common is the fallback into your pattern suicide."

--Amazing insight, but so simple and true.
Amazing coincidence(?): I picked up the C S N&Y album Deja Vu yesterday for less than a buck at the Goodwill (on vinyl).

When I was up north, I was refreshed in the woods because there was nothing but the wind, trees, and animals. No news, no frenzied media, nothing... except that the "nothing" is really the news, media, malls, and hubbub that distracts me. The everything was more evident in the absence of the nothings.

The CFO of my company, whose cubicle is unfortunately right next to mine, keeps hectoring me by drilling me on what the company "mission statement" is.
Yesterday near the end of the day he was going around demanding, "what's the mission statement, Vanessa?" "What's the mission statement Publius?"
Same thing this morning. I responded with, "you're harassing me!"
He then mentioned something about just trying to help me on my upcoming "performance review."
Whenever I softly play music on my PC, he complains about "that crap" I'm playing. "What is that crap?"
I'll see how he respond to CSN&Y's Deja Vu.
Yes, the games we play to while away the time, precious time.
I'm feeling a lot calmer these days, as though I could change some patterns. And I have... I have, for example, given up more and more of my attempts to control other people. And strangely, it produces great results.
Thanks Nina.
I've decided to make my own tipi or yurt. I will go up north with it, whenever I can, and sit in it during the weekends, with a fire inside to keep me warm, and listing to the wolves and the wind. I'll bring my kid, get him away from this shit.

How is everyone, from Africa to the Caribbean to the plains, Sierras, and deltas?

nina said...

Thanks Rick. Another great one is the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. I must have listened to it a thousand times and every time there was more.

I recommend Arthur Silber's review and analysis of the Obama troop surge speech televised last night. Its not the one linked to in my post, which is a remarkable post as well, its a brand new one that poured out immediately following the speech.

Su, is the power out in her whole area or has she just gotten caught in the Zombie trap? There is a program likely worldwide that can really help this generation, we had EST, they have Summit. She should go, now. If you'd like, I can get the information today - a phone call away?

nina said...

I find the teepee plan to be probably the most useful for the area you describe Publius because of the teepee's sharp slope, the snow and rain would cascade to the Earth and you could use that soil for planting herbs for cooking and medicinal application as well surround a section of the teepee with a gutter arrangement for collection of water. There's my thought anyway, I'm sure with your inventive mind you will come up with something wonderful.

Rick Garves said...

nina:
I hadn't heard the the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill before. good recommendation! for anyone else who is not familiar with it:

http://www.4shared.com/file/164153209/9aef0636/Lauryn_Hill_-_The_Miseducation.html

Don't even get me going on the latest surge. Right off the bat, first thing I see front page news:
"30,000 more off to Afghanistan 1 year cost $30 Billion"
then in the next sentence:
"US Troops will be withdrawn starting in 18 months"
who the fuck are they trying to kid? Evidently people like my idiot sister, sorry sis love ya but..,who commented when I blurted out my disgust: "well, it must be what the american people want"
WTF??? anyway I left the room before any bad words could be exchanged and now I am in a shit mood. Guess I will go download some more music. any requests?

nina said...

Lovely sychronicity there Rickles. I was commenting on Writings on the Wall while you were posting here. This is Su's "Awareness of Presence that is here right now" in action. We gotta accept it.

Thank you for the Lauryn! I am thrilled to have it and delighted you like it too. My copy is probably lost to me forever in storage somewhere and it is a lingering cryin shame because if there ever was a moving voice she is it and won't be out there again because she blew it all off to be a good mom. Here is Lorenzo Wolff's take: The Vulnerability of Lauryn Hill

Rick Garves said...

nina:
you're welcome. just in case you want the entire cd it is here:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/21692057/f6773459/Ambient.html

yeah really amazing how we are all in sync. really cool I think, now if we could only figure out what to do with it?

About Lauryn: it is nice to know that there still are some people around who know what the right thing to do is and do it.
Thanks for the link!

nina said...

Thanks Rick, as always. I am soooo grateful. If anyone gets the opportunity to hear all of it all the way through you are in for something beautiful, maybe so moving you'll be smart to have a kleenex available. Heh, mind expanding, what good is anything really if it doesn't take you somewhere?

su said...

Nina,
So true what good is anything if it does not move you somewhere.
Daughter is singularly without power. Just could not keep up with the shooting prices and then unemployment came along and with two small kids.
So more info - she does not need out.
But the amazing thing is I am witnessing her strength emerging, something I had not seen before.
It is powerful.
In the face of such adversity at such a young age, she has had a turnaround of vision.
After school it was money, cars, horses etc.
Now it is peace, food, clothing and shelter.
She says she cannot see herself ever just shopping aimlessly ever again.
Quite a movement there but still it must be horrific.
Electric gates - hmmmmm.
Bathing children - hmmmm.
Warming bottles for babe - hmmmm.
And yet there was a time when we foraged and hunted and that was it.

nina said...

There was a time we went through that too and we survived. IN SPITE OF SEEMINGLY INSURMOUNTABLE OBSTACLES, we survived to commiserate with those in it now with sincere appreciation of their experience.

Susannah said...

Survival - unexplainable isn't it.
You see people skin and bones, a horse in that condition would simply fall over. And yet the human endures a lot of the time.
Hope must play a large part of that.

Just noticing on the live feed that I am from Joburg. Actually I am 1200kms away from there, wonder how they can get it so wrong.

nina said...

Mirrors. When I was using Earthlink it always said I was coming in from Leasburg, North Carolina, about 3,000 plus miles away. There are a lot of huge mirrors in the US, like Bowling Green, Kentucky, maybe the cell phone towers are mirrors? I see you coming in from simply the "Western Cape" most of the time. That's a rather large area. It feels strange to see myself sometimes coming in from Pacoima or Sunland, hundreds of miles south, filthy chainlinked junkyards for car parts, the dead zones of the planet.

Your girl will be okay Su, she's got too much on her plate but the good thing is she knows it. And she IS your daughter after all, that love and empowerment appears to have kicked-in.

Vword: heavib (heavy vibe)

Zoner said...

Well, any discussion of suicide makes me shrink a bit since the tactic of doing the same things over and avoiding the OBVIOUS TASKS AT HAND may very well lead to to an early demise. Guilty. Surfing and puffing means the chores get put off and the body deteriorates a bit further, which leads to a pattern of further inaction and the momentum grows. I always tell my wife that I won't take my own life no matter how bad I get - that I couldn't do that to her and my loved ones. Now you have shown me to be a liar of the highest order.

I'd talk a bit more about it, but it is simply too close to home right now. Another example of someone across the world voicing the thoughts in my own mind.

I appreciate the last sentence the most. The rationalization here is that I am allowed as much self-destruction as I care to indulge in, as long as I am willing to drop it when a need arises in someone else's life. I guess then it becomes a matter of defining how far to cast yourself out in an attempt to fix things. Maybe eventually the focus away from my own perceived challenges makes it impossible to wallow and the energies get sent outward rather than directed toward self-abuse. Gotta do something with all this energy! Save yourself by ignoring yourself and assisting others? Why not?

What is real anymore? I haven't taken any substances that would allow me to peer beyond in a long time, but lately what is presented visually is seemingly having a tough time holding itself together - solid objects vibrating, seeing through them, looking at the scenery and having it become a 2-dimensional thing like some kind of cardboard cutout prop. Things are getting seriously weird around here, and I can't explain it so it is simply another aspect to be endured and puzzled over. My doctor isn't worried, so why should I be?

su, it seems as though the daughter's situation has at least brought about a needed re-evaluation of priorities? I know it sucks to have all the things one thought of as important shown to be traps and false sources of comfort, but maybe there is a silver lining to all of the ills that befall us. That's my take, anyway.

Z

wv; uncommmum Talk to me, mum.

nina said...

Hi Z, you must have found a pair of sunglasses to wear at night between the time you commented here and your comment on Streams of Consciousness cause when you're cool the sun is always shining. It would appear you are hip to the game. Sometimes its just a matter of mental self-flagellation to get up and do something finer. Tomorrow doesn't count, on weekends one can breathe the air of inspiration without the massa's interference.

Zoner said...

Yes. In this case the sunglasses say "Vicodin" and "Flexeril".

As we go through these days and ride the wave as best we can, much of the effect of "out there" is mitigated by an unshakable faith and through reading all of your words. Attending the Headmaster's classes is great for this, too.

And then there are the women I share my home with, always there to tell me how much I am loved, even when I may resemble a muskrat in a trap - snapping and gnawing at myself. Thank you, Lorna. Thanks, girls.

But just when the mental issues subside and the world becomes less imposing, the challenges of being in a body come to the fore and a different kind of pain is faced. Physical pain has the ability to erase much of my natural good-natured state, unlike anything else I know, and the volume is on "11" right now. It's the one thing that can erase the ability to do as your last statement says.

That's the rub. Vanquish one foe and another pops up, harder to challenge and capable of crushing my spirit. I can't will it away. Prayer does nothing to minimize it. Drugs turn down the volume but rob as much as they give. That's why death won't be a bad thing. Sorry if any of this sounds like self-pity, because I know many people suffer far worse than me. Maybe a better filter is needed or something, one that only allows happy thoughts through. Rise above and all that.

I'll keep this stuff to myself until I get to the other side of it. I'm sorry, people.

Love to all, no matter what state befalls me.

z

nina said...

BTWZ, Save yourself by ignoring yourself and assisting others? Why not?
That isn't what happens, surprise, it is about giving our thoughts a worthwhile focus in which we review in advance all the positive seconds, or days ahead, in how many ways our gift can be needed within the receiver's values.

The secret is not all that well known. People born into Zombie Food Courts would have no idea what I just said. At least you have a justification, all you need really is any justification and you're on your way.

and ... it sounds to me you are going through exactly what everybody else is either going through or is just coming up for a breather - and you, Zoner, whew, it has not been easy - everybody I know is in and out of, cyclically, this state of existence. Humans require something to look forward to, we have imagination through our survival instinct. Rick and I were talking about something like this today on his blog, every action has a reaction, perhaps we have here a little case of the post vacation in survivalist paradise remorse? Couple that with a return to your literal pattern of existence in your home crib and geeze, you've got a right to rejecting controls imposed by a faceless enemy who runs this dimension in the string theory.

Susannah said...

Zoner,
The sun has just set.
Everything hangs in that still space where neither light nor dark dominate.
I was moved to read of your situation, but can't offer platitudes out of respect for you but don't know what to offer you either.
So I light a candle with the intention that peace touches you deeply.

Zoner said...

Su, thank you very much. I am actually doing fine for the most part (just pain and fear from the uncertainty), but I'll welcome your gesture and seek out that peace with renewed intensity.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do in kind.

Z