On his way home from the jobsite, the fireteacher was passing though a hundred miles of bad road, lonely stretches of weeds, no dwellings, the occasional Sage families, around 6 p.m. Up ahead, he saw the taillights brake on a farmworker's pickup. The driver dumped something on the road and took off. The fireteacher slowed to look. There was Louis. When they got home, I was called outside and yes, it was an instant bond. At first I thought he looked like Peter Lorre, but that's all changed now. That night, Louis and I chatted in a shaft of moonlight from the tallest window. We talked about his suffering through abandonment, he wouldn't have lasted an hour out there, about what he might have experienced of life so far, especially as an unwanted pup on the verge of adolescence and assured him he was home at last. We've had a great time together ever since. He sleeps on the end of the bed already. He shines on a leash. Comes to his name. Its a lock. A win-win. I live in a houseful of males. That includes the Guinea Pigs. Louie's story is a metaphorical parallel to landing in Shambhala.I hardly know what financial terror driven drivel is supporting the Illusion this week. It runs together like tears dripping down the page, smearing distinctions. It is stunning to me that there are not nearly as many intelligent people around as we would like to think. I had a few encounters with merchants over the past seven days and have nothing good to report. Ahem. While it was always grueling to go into town, these most recent sojourns have been less than chilly. Workers at every place I visited have lost their smiley face. They are able to glaze their ways through routine mechanical tasks, but they physically turn away when you look at the receipt and your stomach drops twenty feet. Its the same with the auto mechanics to the framers to the supermarket cashiers. Each of them lost in a paranoid thought bubble in a ballet class. You do not want to hear about all the nickle and diming going on out there, I'm sure you see it yourself as you start juggling which priorities you can live without. But why do these hourly rate types sink into stupor? And there is a difference between these workers and the salaried who exist in a leveraged universe currently in freefall ... They have always done the best they could in most situations, see themselves as good persons, going along with the program in a timely fashion only to arrive at this moment in history, juggling their own priorities, maybe they can slide another month on the rototiller ... some days they wonder what is going on when there is time to wonder. Except when the card goes in the little reader, then there is a spark of real communication, a shared knowing, but it passes quickly into bagging and what Admin at Survival Acres means when he says BAU, business as usual.
I know we like to wonder into the future, always thinking a little ahead, asking how this multiplies, perhaps it extends indefinitely, gradually worsening. At some point, there are no corners left to cut. Here we are again, why is all this happening? Resource depletion. Too many of us. These are the great Energy Wars trickling down to a hundred miles of bad road, lonely stretches of weeds, no dwellings, the occasional Sage families. Its a long road.
14 comments:
Babies dropped off in front of hospitals--recycled stuff we don't want any more--or never did--the result of mass consumption with no responsibility--but we'll pay for it later today, or tomorrow--BUT let's not let those perverted homosexuals adopt--in the name of jeezus--repent ye sinners--we are 501 C-3's but almost all of our money goes to building higher and wider, paying the pastor, and putting on a new roof and slapping down a new parking lot every few years so it looks god-kept for those driving by laughing-fucking rats in a maze-how much actually goes to help those in need--can you say mega-church--we refuse to share worship quarters--we want god to see us as being dutiful in our building ivory towers for HIS glory--please wipe your feet and no farting in the pews--this is gods house, he lives here because he likes us-like AVIS, we are number 2 but we try harder-somewhat, kinda-chosen like a foster child--please pass the pillar of salt--
Where does it all go when the warranty on the hope we sold you runs out through the cracks in your life...but it's your fault sinner---I'm from the government church and I'm here to save you
Time to throw over the excess baggage to gain altitude--feet glued to the floor? Just leave them there and walk barefoot into the mist of the Sunday morn......
So much cast off on the side of the road to make someones else's problem......or joy
Jj
You ever see country folk's garage sales? It looks the same as always, stuff strewn around the tractors and horses, only this year everything has a price attached.
I always find it incredibly sad when people abandon puppies out on the road with no way to fend for themselves. I'm glad that the Fireteacher brought him home to you and that it was an instant bond, at least one abandoned pup was found and loved! :)
Life is indeed a lonely stretch of road that one has to learn to either deal with or manipulate, but either way, to live with.
Skye, Louis and I just got back from another marathon walk, we passed the "flowers" house and they've got ferns now.
The more I see of the representatives of the people, the more I admire my dogs.
Alphonse de Lamartine
Returned back home from up north... the old hometown.
I've never seen so many garage sales in my life: junk piled up in yard after yard.
And every other driveway the whole trip back (300 miles) had a car or boat for sale.
I didn't sense much real desperation up in the hinterlands, but the town looked more and more bedraggled, more like a ghost town.
I was disheartened to see that the old brick and charming building where my dad practiced dentistry for almost fifty years had just been torn down. A pile of bricks remained. I went to pick up a brick as a souvenir, but a sign read, "Private property: you are on camera." Indeed, there was a camera trained on the paltry pile of old bricks.
Times are desperate, indeed.
My wife seemed to take some interest in future homesteading issues, like how many goats to get, chickens, cabin design, etc. Maybe the fresh air and laid back atmosphere caused her to think.
Big event: we watched the very long movie, "The strange case of Benjamin Button," or whatever it was titled, with Brad Pitt. It made my wife ponder and think and cry. I thought it wasn't bad... amazingly long for an American movie. And the philosophical refrain, "you never know what life will throw at you," was a good thought to insert in the minds of today's citizen-viewers. It was more of a movie about the fleeting nature of life and loved ones, but one can apply the same notion to our current social and economic arrangements.
I'm feeling somewhat more hopeful about my personal resources and ability to act appropriately in the near and medium term. My three year old really liked our afternoon in the country yesterday, where I showed him his great-great grandfather's grave. He wanted to dig old grandpa up, but we didn't have a shovel, thankfully. Ran into a young couple voyaging down the river by canoe - had been for the past week. Nobody else was encountered. The trees my brother and I planted in 2001, well some off them, are growing nicely, competing with the grasses. The lilacs were in bloom, too. Brought some blooms back for my mom, who thought they smelled wonderful.
Future and strategy remain dark. Couldn't find my magic eight ball. Looking for a small wood-burning stove.
Giving thanks for friends, this blog, music, art, gardens, children, and unearned kindness.
You won't come into the insider's deals until you are among them. You want a woodburning stove? Someone knows someone who has one in the storage shed that needs some fixing up.
You can't plot things out to the nth degree. Stay open. Go with the flow.
I would have taken the brick anyway and given some lip to the camera. We took all the bricks from my companion's childhood home. He built a snaking low wall where the plum trees start. Next time, you get those bricks. It seems that your investment in the bricks is greater than demolition.
That sounds like a film I could get into. Will look out for it.
Perhaps you should show Mrs. Publius the photos from Visible's perfect woodland community. Cozy, civilized, off the grid.
Nina:
You are, as usual, spot on.
One of my ways of dealing with anxiety is to try to "come up with a plan." Yes, a secret plan for everything! My planning ability is great for things like camping trips, electronics repair, or, I imagine, Peak Oil Crash Adaptation Phase Transitions, etc.
However, I'm actually pretty good at
"going with the flow," too... especially finding useful things, ideas, concepts.
The movie is called "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."
Will check out Visible's woodland community. I've seen his site, but haven't run into that yet!
Anyone hear ever read Aldo Leopold? What a great man, ahead of his time.
Feeling strangely optimistic this morning, but feel a strange electricity in the air. Is it me, or is it Memorex?
Ours was found wandering the alley behind our old house in the'Hood, hungry and reeking of those pine-tree car air fresheners. Probably 4-6 months old and dehydrated, but pretty spunky for a tiny little thing. Her name is (Lucky) Lucy (LuLu for short) and 4 years later she continues to reside here with us.
Of course when my wife and 2 girls brought her to me and asked the inevitable "can we keep her" I knew it wasn't really my choice - she had made her way home somehow.
Nina, I know the feeling of being outnumbered! It's a 5 t0 2 ratio here with the female side in control. I don't mind one bit, though. My purple Homie Prince says that to hear the real blue in music today, listen to female singers. He contends that you can catch the deepest blues in their voices because women have not yet had their chance to run the world. I'd be happy to give the fairer half that shot, if anyone needs to really "run" things.
Jj, we did the "mega-church" thing for a few weeks. I cannot begin to tell you how that went, but it was all I needed to know about that trip. So slick and polished, and very shiny and clean. Almost unnaturally so. I guess God really places a high priority on polishing and scrubbing.
Unbelievable what they have going on there and the business model they use.
A few big toys for sale here in my neck of the woods where lots of people still have lots and lots of money. Signs of cracks are showing all over mainly in retail space vacating, but mostly business as usual. When things get really tight, it will be interesting to see how the very, very wealthy handle having to re-adjust their comfort zone. Some of these people have a LOOONG way to go before they reach Earth again. I hope they can cope and get along.
Hey Publius, I just got a canoe last week and there is a lake with Walleye and Largemouth bass in it 2 blocks from my house. Want to try and hit the evening bite sometime soon? I'll do the grill thing and the wives and kids can socialize while we go off and solve the ills of the world. And pretend to be fishing.
Thank the Firekeeper for me, and please administer a heartfelt scratch behind the ear for your new friend from "Z", since I can't do so myself right now.
Love to all,
Z
Sorry, I meant to include the link, then it wasn't the right link, then it was late, etc...
A Low Impact Woodland Home
Hey Z, that was a great post. Same ear scratches, fur smoothings to Lulu the Lucky girl.
Will share your sentiments with the firekeeper.
The way you describe your area is what I think is going on among a large tier of wealthier folk, a slow-mo fall from grace. Its starkly evident in poor rural communities where they had relatively little to lose to begin with, the losing is a losing of visible lifelines - jobs, health/dental care, the repo man visiting, the bill at the feed store hanging over the heads of their livestock. These people were heavily conditioned to think the bubble was here for the rest of their days. They were the easiest targets and remain so. You met them at church.
Charles Hugh Smith posted a guest essay from Zeus that says it very well. Maybe the best accounting to date.
We are in these times, an aftermath and an Armageddon, but our homemade families are sweet comfort.
I won't attempt to describe, promote or deny in any manner this gift to all of us from usxp today. The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment
A great accompanyment to The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightment is Jim Kunstler, today.
When a lot of people say the same thing in different ways, you know what you are experiencing has a basis in mass reality.
The sites I'm linking to here are all on the Blog List for our lazy linking pleasure.
Anyone at this point still in denial about peak oil does not want to know why there is war.
I realized tonight that in some ways, I'm still an "angry teenager with attitude." Then by chance I found this essay by Charles Eisenstein.
How best to nurture the rebellious dreams, the belief that the world, and one's own life, can be more, mean more, be more fulfilling? I guess I admire people who never grow up in some ways (of course, we all need to mature into our full capabilities as human beings).
My dad liked to call me a gadfly. I guess I am... Time for Gadfly Pride, I say.
That is a most wondrous essay Publius, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Post a Comment