On the day I held a fistful of dirt in my hand, everything changed. I think I'd been raking leaves and twigs, mingled with the occasional small feather and soda can when it came to me that the very crust of the entire Earth consisted of leftovers from all the past life it produced over millions of years. Weather and age turned this leftover matter into granules of dirt, the stuff we call soil. Simple, right? There's more. I looked around the place and could not find one, not one item that did not come from the Earth. Everything appeared to be derivatives of Nature, in other words, where was this fabulous industrial progress we've been conditioned to worship? You should try these exercises for yourself. I am not trying to be an authoritarian here, just an observer. Metals, plastic, chemicals, colors, kitchen tiles, the linoleum, our clothing, electricity, the bricks, books, soaps, the list is endless because the Earth is rooted in every item we use, the only exception is that which comes from our own creative inspirations, the Humanities. Maybe this is the only real progress we've ever made, adding our emotional input to the vast body of literature and art, music and dance, drama, all of which are achieved though our relations with and observances of one another.
If one is so conditioned as to never having noticed these easy things I've mentioned, they probably wouldn't figure out we are also living off the Earth, another layer of bark on top of her crust, another plant species traveling on our way inside the circle of birth, life, death, decomposition, nutrient, plant, seed, sprout, etc., at any given moment. What we become and how quickly we regenerate is up to Nature's temperment.
This is how we get stupid people in our midst: They've invested heavily in technologies that are progress-oriented by either believing they've invented something new or clerked for someone's outfit that believes they're doing something innovative. Lately its the Greenies. I really hate to say this, but between Rube Goldberg and Dr. Mengele, we're not exactly progressing, are we. When you consider Monsanto's experiments with Gaia and tally the amount of pharmaceuticals your health provider willingly dispenses to relieve "symptoms", you'd be kind of slow not to grasp the experimental nature of our amazing progress. Progress - which is has been redefined as solution. Solution - which has been redefined as you pay for it, your children and their great grandchildren pay for it. Sometimes, maybe all the time, we pay for it with our lives like lab animals. That time is getting closer and there is no progress, no solution, no paying our way to avoid the inevitable waiting on the horizon. How could there be as long as we're only experimenting with what we already have? Toying with the future, as if there was no tomorrow, as if we'd never run out?
Every media outlet wants us to know it will all go on forever, the plankton is THRIVING, there are plenty more Sardines where those came from and the life giving flood waters ALWAYS return to the Serengeti. They are still shoving shiny autos down our throats, promising to take them back if you lose your job (one year disclaimer) even though the states can't keep up the (experimental) infrastructure we were all conditioned to trust was inviolate. They are at this very hour arguing how Ms. Sotomayer might impact on Roe vs Wade ... They are bickering over waterboarding ... This will go on ad nauseum until fracking shows them the gas is depleted and the tar sands extract only granules of Earth, the same dirt I held in my hand and saw that small, soft, perfect feather they didn't see.
20 comments:
A lot of people just hate to get dirty. This aversion to dirt, is an indication of the mindset that creates so called civilization. All of Asia follows the custom of taking off ones shoes when entering a house. Not a bad custom, but indicative of the mindset, dirt is bad.
We may feel that nature is messy and chaotic without order, and we are here to fix all that.
Lots of people believe that. And when they die, one way or the other they return to the earth. Maybe that's it, dirt is death. Funny when we say someone has their head in the sand, it means they refuse to see reality.
For sure we have taken a turn for the plastic, and shiny metal. I find it lacking in depth though. A perfectly decorated living room is bland compared to the magnificent scenery of the most common square inch of ground anywhere.
We have taken a wrong turn somewhere. Methinks mother earth will belch out a volcano and bring her subjects back to reality soon.
We want things tidy, and clean. Cleanliness is next to godliness they say. I think we are in denial somehow.
If it crawls, spray it with Diazinon--if it flies and pollinates, kill it. Got a weed, drench it in roundup--"Little boxes, little boxes"
If your leg is restless (WTF?)take this pill, if that pill makes your liver shut down, take this pill.
Go to the grocery store and buy the shiniest red dye #7 apple you can find--who cares if it was picked in China before any nutrients could uptake--"nutrients", that would cost more and we gotta keep the bottom line--don't walk in the woods, you might get a mosquito bite--
don't prepare a meal with gratitude, just buy one already packed in plastic--it's easier.
Don't comment on, or say anything that might offend someone, somewhere.
Stay out of the dreaded rays of the sun--harmful, harmful, harmful.
Don't let the kids run outside, they might get hurt or abducted--put that helmet on--wash your hands every five minutes--germs, germs, germs--dry skin-here, lather this stuff on 10 times a day--pay no attention to the alcohol in it that is there to dry your skin out so you use more lather--
Just dump it, drain it, into the toilet bowl--so you can drink it the next day out of the tap--
Don't wash it, dry clean it--
You can go 5,000 miles per oil change but we are telling you 3,000 so you live in fear of your car breaking down--
Do you really need that? Of course you do--see those girls in bikini's, you can have them all if you drink our brand.
Want that guy? Just get this operation, and he'll fall madly in love with you.
After all, it's gods will.......
Right?
Jj
Must have had a little arrogance in my coffee this morning and forgot that I was in Nina's coffee shop where people already know what's on the menu at all the other places--
I'm going to recycle my soapbox and just stand on my own two feet--
Guess if I'm not part of the solution.......
Boy, it's so easy to bitch about things.
Jj
Jj:
I won't lecture you about "being negative."
When I try to paint a picture about living on our homestead in the future, growing and producing food/shelter/clothing/goods/services in cooperation with our Mennonite and other neighbors, I am called "negative," because my vision implies the death or decline of industrial civilization.
I am starting to realize that the "thing" about our culture/myth that keeps its death-grip on my family and the few friends I have who don't see what I see is not related to money/wealth per se: it's really about the fear of being different... the fear that one's life won't be meaningful unless one participates.
I have inverted that: the life that is mainstream seems meaningless and gerbil-wheel-like. The life that is lived by one's own lights, independently but in cooperation with chosen and beloved neighbors/friends/community seems much more meaningful.
To create your own songs and myths!
To invent your own days of celebration, revolving around the seasons just as the earth goes around the sun.
Maple-syrup making days, for instance, in the spring! I just invented it. Who wants to help celebrate. Someone can play the guitar and sing while people stir the big vats boiling over the fire.
Boy, though - am I deluded, sitting her in my cubicle, because for some reason my company is busy and not bankrupt, and my wife hopes that house prices will really tank and we can buy one come March. The Ides of March, methinks, will hold surprises.
Having recently rediscovered the joys of dirt and the things that spring forth from it, this was a very timely piece, Nina. Connecting with, or even just recognizing the links between everything, can indeed be profound and also elusive with all the shiny things to distract.
I like dirt. I like the guitars that ultimately come from the dirt. I hope the earth is able to use whatever it is I leave behind when I leave - small payback for all I have taken or been given (like, everything?? What a deal!).
Jj, glad to see you haven't lost any steam. Reading your list reminded me of my neighbors trying to figure out which chemical to use to kill the overbloom and chemical imbalance in our pond caused by........chemicals running off from the Lawn Gods that surround it. The windmill-driven aeration system was summarily dismissed, even though it was much cheaper. "Who wants a windmill in their backyard?". I'm thinking the frogs, turtles, and abundant fowl might prefer that to a regular application of toxins, but I'm outnumbered. I will fight this tooth and nail, however.
(raises hand to volunteer for first shift on guitar at the Maple Fest)
Be well, and well tended, people.
Z
Special days: When the boys were very young, they asked, if there is a mothers day, and a fathers day, why isn't there a kids day--Well, from that time on, May 1st was kids day--anything (within expanded reason) they wanted to do was fair game--this is the first year we didn't do it--they are 16 and 18 now-
I am quite familiar with the Mennonites as we have a boat load of them here in our county as well as Amish--Years ago, we were going to a Mennonite church for a bit and I was asked to give a lecture/sermon on what perceptions of them those of us in the non-Mennonite world had--
I wish I still had it around here but there was not much love for Jj as half were ready to kill me, one quarter were so shell shocked they looked like deer in the headlights, and the other 1/4 were laughing their holy butts off--I closed with : "be careful what you ask for...."
The Amish do grow the best weed, and have the best woods keg parties--
The Mennonite guys are more like girls are supposed to be--I don't think they get circumcised, I think they get castrated at birth--
Some of the Mennonite women can pack 60 lbs of potatoes in a 25lb sack when it comes to those ankle-length jeans skirts--but modesty is soooooo important--
I have also never seen a teenage Mennonite girl driving under 60mph--lot's of pent up frustration perhaps?
The "Z" has surfaced!!!!!!!!!
Jj
Dadnerd started off with the dirt parallels. How about dirt poor? And dirt cheap? Dumb as dirt ...
Our language and euphemisms are part of the "stupid" problem.
-----------------------------------
Stupid (who are collectively representatives of agency opinion) says to avoid Swine Flu, wash your hands, get your injection.
This is not a healing (sustainable) solution.
Dirt poor (the great UNWASHED masses) observes 1. There would be no Swine Flu without hog farms. 2. And more to the point, if there were no stored samples of deadly disease lying around for bio-war experimenting.
Jj says: Guess if I'm not part of the solution.......
You know that's just another meaningless phrase of the zeitgist. You don't really think that way. And if there is a small part of you that did, I'm sure it was amputated in the tea party dance.
Z said: (raises hand to volunteer for first shift on guitar at the Maple Fest
Make a cd please, upload to your blog so we can be there too.
I only have three guitars. Sob.
But I am rich in ways untold. Every day lately I've been dividing the day between log stacking, animal and wildlife husbandry, painting, blogging and then, ahhh, the addiction which has me hard in it clutches, walking the dog out into the mountains overlooking classic Steinbeck vistas "The purdiest lan you ever did see". It does to me what no church ever did. Happens to the dog too. We admit to following all of Visible tips and they work, they work beyond words.
Its time to make something interesting out of nothing, back later. Great comments today!
Dadnerd and Z, I'll lay spare keys on you both.
You caught me Nina--I'm only my own solution--Stupid is as stupid does--and I thought maybe I could fix stupid--but I was wrong--especially when stupid is wrapped in the bible and the flag--
No key for the middle child?
Jj
The author of this article and I were part of the same "program(s)" at the University of Chicago.
Title:
The Case for Working With Your HandsExcerpt:
Put differently, mechanical work has required me to cultivate different intellectual habits. Further, habits of mind have an ethical dimension that we don’t often think about. Good diagnosis requires attentiveness to the machine, almost a conversation with it, rather than assertiveness, as in the position papers produced on K Street. Cognitive psychologists speak of “metacognition,” which is the activity of stepping back and thinking about your own thinking. It is what you do when you stop for a moment in your pursuit of a solution, and wonder whether your understanding of the problem is adequate. The slap of worn-out pistons hitting their cylinders can sound a lot like loose valve tappets, so to be a good mechanic you have to be constantly open to the possibility that you may be mistaken. This is a virtue that is at once cognitive and moral. It seems to develop because the mechanic, if he is the sort who goes on to become good at it, internalizes the healthy functioning of the motorcycle as an object of passionate concern. How else can you explain the elation he gets when he identifies the root cause of some problem?
I used to teach sailing in my late teens and early twenties--
Women were so much better at "the touch" of steering and "feeling" the wind--men just wanted to overpower--
Just keeping the boat in the groove--between falling off to far, or heading up too high--the sweet spot-- was almost built into most women even when using a tiller/rudder with no mechanical advantage--
Women would be the first to reef sail and not overpower the boat so it was easier to sail--and faster--men couldn't stand the finesse aspect until they really learned to sail and then, only some of them really had "it"--
I used to tell them that I could teach them 80% of sailing in 3 days--the other 20% would take a lifetime of experience in varied conditions and boats--
Then there was racing--a whole other animal--
Capt. Jj
Jj:
Another thing we have in common besides guitars!
I love sailing. I even built a small sailboat some years ago.
And sewed the sail.
Nothing feels better than sailing on a broad reach, on a sunny but not too hot day. The sense of being a part of a dynamic world, and free and heading into the unknown, but welcoming it!
Let me squeeze in here a sec and tell Publius his heads up on the bike mechanic's story is must reading. Big thanks. Its on After Armageddon today starting with a fitting Ran Prieur article.
Ran is always onto everything! I read that story on Sunday... I should have written my own review... nah, it actually affected me too much to write about it. Too many ghosts bubbling up from my "experiences" (the Inquisition? Behavioral experiments on student-animals? Spiritual torture?) at the University of Chicago. It's the institution with the most unhappy-looking and acting bunch of people I've ever seen. Wow... I can now almost feel again the addiction to the struggle to jump through the hoops, wrestle ideas down to the mat until they've long since given up the ghost of meaning... Every March, the day off for "suicide prevention day."
One of my benighted "class mates" told me that he was glad he got into graduate school there, because he could never imagine working and living in the "real world." (his term - exact quote) I still remember the look of fear and loathing on his face when he said, "real world."
No comment needed. They gave us Milton Friedman, though... oh boy.
As Bob Dylan sang,"At dawn my lover comes to me
And tells me of her dreams
With no attempts to shovel the glimpse
Into the ditch of what each one means
At times I think there are no words
But these to tell what's true
And there are no truths outside the Gates of Eden"
allo, outchon . . . (all)
The dichotomy of 'dirt v. shiny' is merely a distraction, as well.
Every endeavour requires a balance. I love the woods and water (and hope to live out my days in seclusion, at one with nature), but I like being able to buy shoes pre-made, also. I enjoy working on airplanes, but I hate working in the soil. Something about horticulture just doesn't happen fast enough for me.
I have this inate hero-lust. I love to be the guy who fixed it. Not (so much) for glory, or other vanities, but simply for the knowledge that it was I who bested the machine; fixed the problem; found the solution. (Okay, so it's a construct of the ego - but it makes me feel good).
Many smiles to all. Love.
Milton Glaser, the designer who did the famous icon of the rainbow-haired Dylan wrote an interesting piece on drawing by hand versus drawing using a computer.
He said his best students tended to abandon the computer and work by hand. He said that ( I paraphrase) the computer tends to clumsily "make decisions" for you. It is "too clean."
When I draw, I often make "mistakes." Mistakes are dirt--erase them! But out of this nuanced dirt, these "metastakes," very often, as I watch carefully, better ideas/lines grow than the ones I was initially struggling to put down.
I read a funny story about Miro in this regard. A woman balled up a piece of paper and threw it in the trash. Miro rushed over and retrieved it. He smoothed it out, relishing the complex "random" crazy geometries of the folds. Then he made some art on it, held it up for her to see, and said mischieviously, "a collaboration!"
"Sunrise Mountain" has made me smile every day since you moved it to the top.
Jj
to late for this thread but hands know everything.
Scrap
Post a Comment