I am going to say something here today, some things the urbane cosmopolitia would likely frown upon or worse, but that doesn't really matter anymore now, does it, we certainly crossed the line long ago and as I see it, they've done us a big favor. I had a roommate in the olden days who made a surprising remark I've never quite forgotten, the conversation prompting it long gone, but she said "The government has a file on everyone." She was adamant about this. I could not convince her that was a ludicrous idea, an absurd impossibility, too vast, tedious, a paranoid, egocentric fantasy.
So here I am today, after a whirlwind tour of latebreaking additions to the bloglist, see RECENTLY UPDATED BLOGS over there on the righthand column, and being in a sort of one comment fits all kind of mindset, my roommate's remark made so long ago comes round full circle because she was right, but not in the way I originally perceived her to mean. I don't think its the government necessarily, the truth is I don't know who it is, but something out there knows us.
We're identified very early, that part would be very easy, and it is that label, applied so early, which follows us throughout our entire lives in this particular go-around. You could, if you are so inclined, imagine what the process entails, what your label reads and where these files are stored, what the space looks like, who are the workers privy to our dossier and so forth.
And then, as an exercise in enlightenment, go back over the events that mark the passage of your time here and match up marker changes effecting you with simultaneously occurring external events.
To do this properly, you'll need to accept there are no coincidences.
Perhaps it is all predestined once you've been identified. Perhaps it is one lifetime-long 3D movie without an intermission. It could be that the farther away we go from the script the more real it all becomes, the less we are available to the roles for which we were originally cast. Then the effort is made automatically to pull us back into line - which goes only so far because once you've caught on, everything on your end improves and keeps on improving in the joy of knowledge and clarity of understanding. You understand that the movie is awful more than its good. You know it is there and you know it isn't you. It is a predatory horror flick, there appears to be no way to get around it, but to leave the theater, hike into the hills and fall arms akimbo on the grass being at one with it, with our Mother, and lie there, cradled in her love.
In other words, I accept this file keeping nonsense because, in a sense, my senses tell me the rewards are clearly one-sided. Seriously, it would have been insane to spend the whole trip squeezed between armrests in the darkness with a jeering, hooting crowd applauding the tortures and yukking it up during the sex scenes, whistling and stomping on the meditations and having to duck flying panties and overripe tomatoes.
I guess I am saying thanks here, thanks for the labeling, and thanks for the memories, indeed your efforts, whomever and whatever you are, have not been wasted. We got the message and we are more than happy to vacate your premises and never ever bother with you again. The pleasure is all ours.
28 comments:
The highest compliment I could give you Nina, is that had I been in Origami, I would have thought it was Les.
JjGalt
Gotta go get tissues now ... thank you J-high.
Wow - another great post.
In a recent life-episode, I was forcibly ejected from "the system" in a strange and obviously conspiracy-driven way. The details don't matter, suffice to say it had to do with academic freedom (or the lack thereof).
After the initial shock wore off (no easy matter - I personally know of grad students who committed suicide and/or tried to take out their professors in the process), I was surprised to discover I felt better about life.
Now,institution after institution is starting to seem like a third-rate play to me, and I have teh freedom to shut the book.
I am still involved and entangled with difficult-to-navigate human relationships (I'm a father, after all), but the more freedom I feel the more I want.
At the same time, I am coming under enormous pressures to conform and learn my lines.
I don't know where it will call go. The only thing I know is that today I'm ordering a book on building birch-bark canoes. I don't live in the desert like Nina, and my future homestead is in the border country that Bob Dylan sings about in Girl from the North Country. I love building things: boats, furniture. I suspect that a birch bark canoe will be one of my main methods of transportation in the future, and it will be a good skill to have. I'm taking order now.
I forgot to add:
great new piece of poetic prose, Nina.
And I am pretty sure my file never read, "birch-bark canoe builder."
It read, "biology lab drone and genetically-modified crop engineer" or something similar. Also, "nicely repressed and self-controlled citizen/consumer."
When you go rogue, where does the file go? Better for the system to keep the rogues and outlaws and jokers hidden or labeled crazy, or humanity might discover that the current monoculture of available archetypes and roles and lifeways isn't so inevitable or immortal.
I have a lot of respect for canoes. To operate a canoe at all one has to have perfect balance. And to make one, you'd have to navigate the inner territory of balance throughout the whole building process. This is going to be the adventure of a lifetime for you.
Nina,
Was over at the visibles & Su's and have to say that you have so much love in you--so much caring--with a bit of daring
It's so sweet to know you without any preconceived notions attached or ever having physically met---maybe somewhere along the line--or better yet, circle--
Just Nina--Just Right
JjGalt
Su's blog just gets more and more interesting. This latest one she's got up is pure Bauhaus genius in function dictates form.
For a while now I've been considering a page two to this blog displaying select gems from the one mind. I'm mentally working on the layout.
I wouldn't be surprised to somehow find out that we all know each other from another place and time. At the very least, its more than likely we've passed on the highway and been aware of each other's existence.
Does it seem to anyone else that this morning some kind of fantastic energy was working in which a new threshold was crossed, whew, it felt like breaking past Mach 3 or 4. It was there all day, even when I stuffed our smiling dog in the jeep and boogied down to the flatlands. I asked the shopkeep how he was doing and he said somewhere between great and wonderful.
I believe it was bholanath on Mirrors who commented "Helluva full moon".
hi nina:
wanted you to know, I enjoyed the zombie food court piece, soooo much, I have posted it over at my blog, with thanks and credit to you for pointing it my way, or pointing me it's way, well whichever, thanks and I thorougly enjoyed it!
Indeed Penny, I agree, that piece is one of the all time greats. I want to send it out to everyone I know and say SEE? Look at this! Credit goes to "Admin" at Survival Acres for passing that one along. You might like his blog, by the way, he's always got something intensely thought provoking going on.
thanks nina, I have bookmarked his blog for now, and yes it does look interesting, so I shall pop in there from time to time.
Thanks for the link Nina--I sent it out to a bunch of people--very well thought out and despite it's length, concise---I'm not a real "global warmer" and have read some of his stuff before but this went to new heights--I'm seeing a lot of that lately--definitely a shift of sorts--like your most recent--seems like your words are catching up with your art--
So, what's new with you--hear any good stories lately-- :)
Couldn't resist----lol
JjGalt
Yes, I confirm it, new heights are being reached and surpassed. However, the Big Mess is still worsening. Its like a monster that grows bigger every time you look at it.
So much wonderfully written information out there and still the masses don't see, or don't want to see. Must be waiting for their retirement or salvation, always at the end of the road--they can't even remember if there were any colorful flowers and majestic mountains along the way--so much missed with the blinders firmly in place--tunnel TV vision--eyes closed, hands over ears, and stamping of feet and gnashing of teeth--"hey wait, it wasn't supposed to be like this"--or so they told me, but it must be god punishing me because I would love to bang the little cashier at the Safeway, or I covet those Prada shoes--when will those birds stop that incessant noise--time to spray more roundup on those weeds--Then, there's me--we don't have a Safeway, I prefer boots and tennis shoes, we eat the dandelions in a salad, nothing is sweeter than birds calling out to each other in song--it's a pretty damn fine day already---blinders off--
JjGalt
Dandelions - I sat around the fake wetland pond near my officepark/cubicle prison the other day eating some dandelion leaves and flowers, dozing in the sun, and listening to the birds (barely audible over the traffic, trucks, and airplanes).
Another strange phenomenon of our society: people addicted to marathons, or like my brother, triathlons. Constantly worn out, overly lean people who don't even look that healthy with their skeletal muscle-on bone figures. And all they talk about is their last performance, how they placed, what their times were. And from what I hear, they don't have much energy left over for sensuality.
They are also seriously wearing their bodies out early - not a good thing considering a future in which knee and hip replacements probably won't be easy to come by.
Just a passing thought... fitness freakery has always freaked me out, though I often ride a bike to work 11 miles one way, but I don't pretend I'm in the Tour de France. It's relaxing and non-competitive. Sometimes, though, I get a thrill out of almost keeping up with cars on a good downhill stretch with the wind at my back. I just know it irks some of the drivers...
My beloved friends, our Ark has been rocked today - please pause and see what Charles Hugh Smith has done with Publius's link. Whew, you just might never be the same again.
Nina:
You mean the "Great" Charles Hugh Smith.
I always put the phrase "the Great" in front of his name in my mind.
If you read this, Charles, don't worry: I won't hero worship you. At least not too much...
Good you caught that Publius. Cast me into the dungeons now for being so foolishly, heh, spontaneous. Always smart to think before we act.
I get the idea that probably half-way through your birchbark canoe construction project, we'll be putting THE GREAT before your name too.
How is it, Jj, we can experience happiness over a Lesser Goldfinch lingering on the thistle feeder and at the same time, anguish that 95 Afghani children entered heaven today at the hands of this nation?
Nina (if I may propose an answer to a question directed to JJ):
you may have learned the skill of unlearning the mind-traps of the civilized mind, and you are able to "live in the moment" (a cliche, but I can't come up with a better phrase at the moment).
Just like you can be enraged at a loved one at a moment, and be full of forgiveness the next. Speaking of which, check out the new Bob Dylan music video: I love Dylan, but am not so sure about the video. But it does make that point:
http://www.ifc.com/dylan/
I've been so enraged by stories or images of dead children and innocents killed by our bombs that I've vowed to never pay taxes again, only to mechanically continue feeding the beast... it makes me feel like I'm deranged.
Or perhaps in-sane.
De-ranged is a very good one too, thanks.
As is emerge-and-see or the-rapist.
(These jerks! Always leaving little clues around to their dirty dealings. So what do they do now? They change definitions and invent acronyms.)
I can appreciate your comment on my question. The MSM propaganda wing headlines today went something like this: "95 Afghan children killed in US clash with Taliban" followed by "Law Enforcement finds mess at Lindsay Lohan house, asks "is it always like this?"
Back to square one ... in-sane. De-ranged.
Mind-traps is a perfect statement in itself.
Nina,
Firstly may I put my name down for a month's solitude at the Elk Ashram.
After reading this post and pondering it over a few jars of honey (Winnie the Pooh style) I happened upon this poem which actually must have been my programming for this lifetime.
I am not sure how Pablo could have known me so well but he sure did:
We Are Many - Pablo Neruda
Of the many women whom I am, whom we are,
I cannot settle on a single one.
They are lost to me under the cover of clothing
They have departed for another city.
When everything seems to be set
to show me off as a woman of intelligence,
the fool I keep concealed on my person
takes over my talk and occupies my mouth.
On other occasions, I am dozing in the midst
of people of some distinction,
and when I summon my courageous self,
a coward completely unknown to me
swaddles my poor skeleton
in a thousand tiny reservations.
when a stately home bursts into flames,
instead of the firefighter I summon,
an arsonist bursts on the scene,
and she is I. There is nothing I can do.
What must I do to distinguish myself?
How can I put myself together?
All the books I read
lionize dazzling hero figures,
brimming with self-assurance,
I die with envy of them;
and in films where bullets fly on the wind,
I am left in envy of the cowboys,
left admiring even the horses.
But when I call upon my DASHING BEING,
out comes the same OLD LAZY SELF,
and so I never know just WHO I AM,
nor how many I am, nor WHO WE WILL BE BEING.
I would like to be able to touch a bell
and call up my real self, the truly me,
because if I really need my proper self,
I must not allow myself to disappear.
While I am writing, I am far away;
and when I come back, I have already left.
I should like to see if the same thing happens
to other people as it does to me,
to see if as many people are as I am,
and if they seem to same way to themselves.
When this problem has been thoroughly explored,
I am going to school myself so well in things
that, when I try to explain my problems,
I shall speak, not of self, but of geography.
_______________________________________________________________
Perhaps in the Goldfinch are the spirits and souls of those children--riding to new heights--Thinking /Hoping like that is the only way I can hold it together at times--My world is so small--maybe it's a defense mechanism of sorts--
Su: A rose by any other name--
JjGalt
Jj, you invite me to pull "a Publius", you mean THE GREAT SuSu.
Nina:
THE VERY SAME--"THE AFRICAN ROSE"---
thorns optional-----
Jj
I want my ashes placed in an old guitar
One that has felt the field dirt fingers of old black men on Alabama Porches
One that has felt the feeble attempts and fingers of the young
With stars in their eyes
Somewhat battered
Like me
One that has felt the fingers of times caress
Sweet notes
And Blues
The highs and the lows
And everything between
Put together any which way
Nothing that has been heard or seen before
Like me
Hang it from string
Nothin’ Fancy
Swaying on one of Nina’s porches
Content
And one
With the Barn Siding
Old men in rockers
Let the wind play the strings
The rain the melody
Slightly different sound in the heat of the day
Cool Jazz in the crisp night air
Come hang with me,
With us
When the music truly begins
To play
Jj
Four times now I have published and republished a new blog post. It isn't showing. Everything is backdating. Weird as weird has never been. We are in the middle of a glitch in time. It isn't being blared on the news.
Publius in the Midwest says he is seeing my new post and all is well there. Stll, I am not, I have to go to Visible's blog list to see my newer post. Visible's new post says he has 23 comments, but only 9 show. The shopkeep in the valley here says his cell has been out since morning. I still want to know what the black helicopters were up to.
As of this posting, whatever happened is not being given its due in the media. And its not repaired.
Post a Comment