D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Thursday, April 16, 2009

the sad slow-mo blues of history unfolding

As a pre-adolescent, I asked my Chess partner, was it not possible that when he left this room he turned into a solitary cardboard figure and only reanimated in the face of further human interaction.
My Father's response was "That's a very Zen thought."
We continued the game until I was checkmated, as usual, but I knew I was on to something. That something, all these years later, turns out to be freedom.
Yes, I was fortunate. My Father was the definition of a "good man", honest, kind, loyal. His end in that body/envelope came at least a decade or more too soon as I see it, murdered by an anonymous blow with a ball peen hammer in the empty hallway of an ALF where he'd taken rooms to be close to my Mother in the Alzheimer's wing. The Chief Surgeon revealed his findings to us behind closed doors. Our investigations led nowhere of course, especially not in the Corporatocracy. Fast forwarding to the present, his being not around in a physical state to witness and experience the last wheezes and groans of all that which he held sacred is somewhat of a panacea for the surviving family, myself included, living through these times, day by day, complication by extenuating complication, up close and personal, along with every one of you reading this far. Somehow, we make do. But, not always. No, not always.
The worst argument my Father and I ever had was inspired by another early free thinking observation when I asked him how he knew if our votes counted. The reaction to my question was literally an exercise in blood pumping anguish as I ended up on top of his upright piano and he sank into the cabbage rose covered armchair, "You're gonna give me a heart attack one of these days." Again, I knew I was on to something.

Sometimes I just can't bring myself to blog. I get revelations coming on top of previous revelations compounded with reflections borne from the five senses that to pause and post it all is arduous and defies everything we already know about our toying with these curious technologies. At best, its advertising, at its worst its advertising having taken over our civilization so that we've misplaced our roots, our raison d'etre, in a global contest of hustle, scam and cruel oxymorons. When you hear and read morons saying and commenting in the same voice, most of it multiple repeats of a once-original zinger, spoken to present themselves as clever, in the know, superior to whatever zeitgeist community they see themselves inhabiting, "how's that working out for you"?

There is no longer any question we are a deluded and deeply conflicted species.
How is that working out for us now?

I want you to tell me, baby, tell me
What are we gonna do
?

You'll be interested in this week's links of honorable mention while we wait at the depot to board the Shambhala Express:

Somalia's Degrading Environment
...Since the state collapse in 1991, country's environmental degradation has accelerated, especially the rate of deforestation has steadily accelerated while toxic waste dumping became newly established business. Because of the country's political condition and the lack of central system of government, many foreign private companies, which are taking full advantages of the lawlessness and lack of central government in Somalia, started to either plunder or pollute country's natural resources...

The complicated issue of Piracy and the Law of the Sea Treaty
ANY QUESTIONS?
Root Causes of Somali Piracy
...As is apparent these days, one man's pirate is another man's coast guard.
Somali Piracy and American Foreign Policy
...we paralyzed an already weak market, giving hand-outs rather than hand-ups, and extinguishing local farming through a disastrous IMF structural adjustment program.

Americans are in a frenzy over the advance of Somali thugs upon American merchants. What they do not understand is our country’s role in undoing the very fabric of Somali society..

The Titanic's Great Pumps Finally Fail

In honor of the sinking of the great ship Titanic on April 15, 1912, we extend the analogy of its sinking to our current financial situation... from Charles Hugh Smith | Of Two Minds


Dispatch from Victorville: Levine Starts His Journey Into the Heart of America’s Foreclosure Nightmare
... a complicated system of speculator fraud meant to do only one thing: transfer money from the lower-class suckers straight into executive bonuses. For that they needed a constant supply of fresh meat, and Victorville performed exceedingly well. In 2007, a year in which five million Americans migrated to shitholes just like this, Victorville was the second-fastest growing one of them...

(click chart to enlarge)


One final mention, we had snow this Tuesday. You know what's coming ... and they know it too. They have known all along. Believe me, they fear our reactions more than the consequences or it would be known as truth to all without the need for any diversionary debate monkeyshines. They could make themselves heroes, but they'd rather hide.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little boxes on the hillside
Little boxes made of ticky-tacky
Little boxes, little boxes,
Little boxes all the same
There's the green one and the pink one
And the blue one and the yellow one
And they're all made outta ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same

And the people in the houses
All go to the university
And they all get put in boxes
Little boxes all the same
And there's doctors, and there�s lawyers
And business executives
And they're all made outta ticky-tacky
And they all look just the same

And they all play on the golf course
And drink their martinis dry
And they all have pretty children
And the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp
And then to the university
And they all get put in boxes
And they all come out the same

And the boys go into business,
And marry and raise a family,
An they all get put in boxes,
Little boxes all the same,
There's a green one and a pink one,
And a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made outta ticky-tacky,
And they all look just the same

Pete Seeger

I think i would have liked meeting your dad--thank you for sharing--

Jj

nina said...

J-High, didn't Malvina Reynolds write Little Boxes? Our Great Folk Heroes all saw this coming. Hopping out of one depression into a worse one.
So my question is this, before the Great Depression, where in history are the others? What is the yardstick for "worse" if we only examine two depressions? Or is there just no precedent for this period? In your opinion...

Anonymous said...

I suppose that the Germans after WWI would have said they were in a depression worse than what we have here and hence they had WWII--all brought on by the same behind the scenes folks--
And remember that both depressions (among other things) were brought on by the fall of the stock market and bank losses--Joe farmer was still able to raise crops and livestock but now the paper-pusher jobs have the farmers by 10,000 to one--and 90% of American didn't have a penny in the stock market back then--imagine that!!
We also manufactured stuff back then--now all we manufacture is paper and waiters and waitresses--I see a lot of differences and I don't see people who actually even talk to their neighbors--
Folks worked for a living back then and the vast majority didn't go to college--I remember my grandparents talking about their gardens and the men would go hunt out in the country which was 15 minutes outside of Cleveland at the time--
I see the generation of college grads, paper-pushers, and "where's my social security" folks having a lot harder time of it--most can't, or won't grow anything, can't or won't hunt and have their hands out to the gov't for everything--
They will be the first ones to line up, roll up their sleeves and drink the Kool Aid---
This, of course, from a guy who hasn't been through a depression but has been broke, and may, or may not be broke again--but we can take care of ourselves and are in a position to do so--geographically, and spiritually/mentally/physically
Just wait till the prozak crowd can't afford their "medicine" and folks want to take what they won't provide for themselves--
People are pissed off about the tax thing but most don't want to hear the rest of the truth--
I hope that others contribute to your question--I will reflect on it more after i do some body work on the vehicles and get cleaned up
Your Friend,
Jj

Anonymous said...

yes, malvina did write it--never heard of her before--but she never heard of me either--
:)
Jj

nina said...

To paraphrase Charles Hugh Smith's quote, repairing your own vehicle is a revolutionary act.

Anonymous said...

Me again,
On the other side of the coin, more people are dependent on government—and that’s the 50% who don’t pay any taxes—smart folks.

Look at the welfare state, and the illegal immigrant costs that the gov’t has encourages—medical costs are through the roof too, as compared to back then—I think all the crap food has made people weak in more ways than one—

If McDonalds or Wal Mart’s aren’t open, people would starve to death while maintaining a vigil waiting for cheeseburger deliverance—the other half would be waiting in their now non-air conditioned churches praying to god for a Benny Hinn miracle or something—

Geez, let’s invade some piss poor country cuz this can’t be our fault and it’ll feel good to take it out on somebody—

All for now—

Jj

nina said...

You do know that Maersk is a for-profit corporate shipping business ... this makes the piracy bullhorn even more Bageantful as mainstream media stirs it with patriotic frenzy. The war on Somalia has already been playing out for a long time. Their geography is key to pipelinestan.
It appears there are three elements that make a nation, failed or not, invasion-worthy. Muslim majority populations, resource wealth and ill-equipped to respond to air power. Go look at your map and tell me who is ripe to refloat Capitalism?

Anonymous said...

Have you heard from the Su Su? Also, I sent Les a message that I thought you had a really good question regarding differences and depressions--thought he could carry it further in comparison to my feeble attempt--figured michael could do the same but left him alone riding his bike on the beach--

Jim (Jj)

Verification Word: diedinge--is that what happens if a hinge kills you in Liverpool(ese)?

Dadnerd said...

Your latest post was too much for me, so I'm gonna respond on a much more lighter note. Your painting, ticket depot I'm weak for weathered buildings and such. A few of us rented a small boat and cruised up the Loxahatchee River, this Saturday. Up river we came to Trapper Nelsons settlement. He carved out this location back in the 30's and died in 1968. He built all the buildings and docks himself without any real education.

We arrived too late and had to jump the fence to see the place. Rough hewn structures, surrounded by pine trees, bamboo, and a lovely river front. He created a little zoo of the local animals, alligators, raccoons, etc...He somehow managed to survive there all those years.

I didn't take any pictures but I found this one online. We went up to his little house and peered inside. Very primitive but adequate.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36137078@N08/3458213136/sizes/l/

nina said...

Thanks Jj! and I have not heard anything from Su. I have confidence she will show up when she is ready.

nina said...

Dadnerd, I could just move right in to that place and be perfectly content. That is the dwelling size we really need. Shelter from the elements, potbelly stove, good books and a few instruments, beds and a couple of rocking chairs. Too much space gives people the opportunity to hoard useless junk behind closed doors and smush other people's leave-behinds into cabinets and closets. I think life was designed to be lived lean so we could use our bodies to their greater potential and interact with others without the diversion of clutter.
With small children, you'd need a porch, of course and a tire swing.
Thanks for photographing the place.

psychegram said...

In conversation with my father (always a good source of the latest mainstream wisdom, news-wise) it turns out that the Somalis are, in fact, pirates and should be treated as such. As to any rumors of their beaches being nuclear waste dumps or their fish being stolen, this is in the past and does not excuse piracy.

So, bombs away!

The Victorville piece was great, btw, thanks for linking!

dimedin ... one too many dimebags?

nina said...

Dadnerd, I meant, thanks for searching out the shot. I missed that part last night.

Dadnerd said...

Back in the late 70's my then father in law went to Somalia to work. They were building some kind of port there, not sure where it was now. I need to call him and find out more about it. But I remember him showing us lots of photos of the stuff the Soviets left behind. Bombs and stuff just lying around.

A quick read on the recent history of that country says a lot. A lot about imperialism. How the British and Italians controlled the place. The role of the Soviets against the Ethiopians. How the Soviets decided to back Ethiopia, and how Somalia dropped them, and excepted US support. All the usual interference we expect from these world powers.

And of course the usual power grab the locals participated in. I don't see any innocents in the whole history. Piracy seems to be the latest effect in a long line of causes. I think it's good to step back and see the big picture.

Nina
Glad you caught that, I don't like taking credit for someone else s stuff. :>)

Silly me had a camera, I should have taken some shots, he had quite a few buildings over there.
I did take this one and gives something of a gist of where he was. He built the dock that is slightly visible to the left.

Dadnerd said...

whoops forgot to paste it.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/36137078@N08/3460094514/sizes/l/

nina said...

Psychegram, my Father would have probably said the same as yours. Theirs was a different world. I tried, but could not get the guy interested in the internet.