D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Friday, December 17, 2010

the gift that keeps on giving

You can't always get what you want, But if you try sometimes you just might find, You just might find, You get what you need, ah yes ... The Rolling Stones


The weather in my region has been all over the charts, I'd almost expect summer next week, except snow is predicted and the temps are way down, but lush green grass carpets the canyons and fallen leaves blanket the drive and deck.  Spring and autumn have come together to welcome winter, officially on the 21st of this month.  Cullen would have loved these grasses and I cannot help but think of him while I'm walking Bernie when we always bagged genuine organic grass for The Little Guy.  Normally, I couldn't do that until early spring, like March.  Is this how its going to be from here on out?  Seasons interwoven with each other, the more painful aspects of each dominating?  Its getting very interesting.  My latest theory on twirling chemtrails (definitely not art) is they are contracted to disperse industrial smog aka hiding the ugly secret we may be far worse off than we think ... Of course you are aware that no one denies Climate Chaos anymore unless its in the comment section of a tinseltown website appealing to IQs under 80: "Why is it so cold in global warming?"  Heh. 

Our beloved Scrappy Scrapwood turned me onto the following which could have been written for each of us, answering the old question of why so many Americans are self-unaware, emotionally stunted and in a near constant state of denial undertowed by sleepless anxieties.  Short answer is because they are force taught the wrong thing at the wrong time, the very time they should be exploring, using their imaginations and developing their creativity.  Here is some of Scrap's borrowed wisdom which he reminded me [...] its not for us, its for our children and our grandchildren:
From: The Wisdom of Hands Blog
Member Whole
Froebel's concept of Gliedganzes or "member-whole" was an important part of his educational philosophy. It means that a child is not merely a child but also a member of a family, a community, a state and a nation. Aristotle and Hegel both discussed the same notion, and for Froebel the idea helped to explain what he had observed in nature.
"The fundamental law of vegetable life is that each successive stage of development is a higher growth of the preceding one--e.g., the petals are transformed ordinary leaves, the stamens and pistils transformed petals. Each successive formation present the essential nature of the plant in a more subtle garb, until at last it seems clothed only in a delicate perfume."
Consistent with this thought, Froebel believed that "to become conscious of self is the first business of the child and the whole business of man."

What if we as teachers, parents, guardians and promoters of wisdom and growth were to see children in their full dimensions, not as mere children, but as growing into membership of family, community, state and nation, and more? Assisting that unfolding of consciousness is the most important goal of education. The following is from Susan E. Blow who founded the first public school kindergarten in the US.
The greatest mistakes in education are rooted in the failure to recognize and conform to the different stages of natural development. Educational theorists are constantly pointing out this error; educational practice is constantly repeating it. Notwithstanding all that has been said and written, we still make knowledge our idol, and continue to fill the child's mind with foreign material, under the gratuitous assumption that at a later age he will be able, through some magic transubstantiation, to make it a vital part of his own thought. This is like loading his stomach with food which he can not digest, under the delusive hope that he may be able to digest it when he is a man. It is forcing the mind to move painfully forward under a heavy weight, instead of running, leaping and flying under the incitement of its own energy and the allurement of its own perceived ideal. The attempt to force a premature activity of reason can result only in repulsion of his sympathies and the stultification of his mind.
There have been a number of articles recently about how desperately misinformed people are, how little they know about science, geography, and/or any other subject. They have a huge number of deeply held opinions about everything, nonetheless. Much of what we see in the media regarding moronic political discourse, anger toward academia and science, the calling of names like leftist and socialist, the fixation in the media with characters like balloon boy, Joe the plumber and Sarah Palin are the direct consequences of the schooling that Susan E. Blow describes. Her words were written in 1894. Can it be that by neglecting the education of our children's hands, we are turning their minds to mush? There is a direct one-to-one correlation between the decline of the manual arts in education and the rapid rise of the American pinhead.

Froebel, like other German educators of the time, was influenced by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, who said, "“Each has his own happiness in his hands, as the artist handles the rude clay he seeks to reshape it into a figure; yet it is the same with this art as with all others: only the capacity for it is innate; the art itself must be learned and painstaking”

I will harp on a point I have made many times in the blog that relates to Ms. Blow's point of conforming to natural stages of development. In Finland students become better readers in 37 1/2 percent less time by beginning at age 8. Here in the US, we seem desperate to reside in idiocy. [...]

Got that? Now, here we are in the holidays which in addition to the prototypical holiday behaviors, always brings up a few tattered memories of Christmas past.  Confession: I admit to a slight sadness the one thing I really wanted I never got, realizing what I wanted I would have to give myself in my own way.  As the years rolled along I did just that, but it was too late.  You must begin ballet training very early, between three and five, no older than eight, if you are going to dance professionally with a successful company.  All those childhood nights after school, the tears, the anguish, the cruel words and ambiance of abuse permeated the dining room homework sessions as I sweated out memorizing multiplication tables hating the deal that was my setup for failure.  If I made an A+ in math I would get ballet lessons, which never happened.  To see the variations of the Nutcracker now, I see what I could have been doing and am not.  Instead, in art school, I supplemented my course work with dance training, I loved every minute, was a natural, made "A"s effortlessly, every time, but even then it was far too late.  Don't get me wrong, art IS my raison d'etre, but it always existed alongside my other gift, the one I was denied until I could earn the means and the scholarships to do it myself.

Did something like this happen to Edward Degas?
One day helping out in the principal's office I peeked at my file.  I saw my IQ score.  There are nonsense rules against seeing it, if I been caught, I'd have been punished.  Detentions or notes home, something ghastly and embarrassing, but the deed was done and life suddenly much improved.  I suppose it was hard for my teachers to reconcile how such a child could not memorize multiplication tables, but they didn't know about the deals being made over homework when I longed with all my being to be doing arabesques and petite burrees on point. My longing obliterated the value of whatever lay before me.

The truth was, and I figured this out early too, dancers were thought of as fallen women, burlesque performers, at least as my parent's zeitgeist trained them.  I must have been raised to be rich, even though we were not rich that I could see by any means, have servants, nannies for the children, spend summers sailing at a family compound, perhaps they imagined me a surgeon's wife, provided he was well educated and from a good family, mostly I think I was supposed to be off to lunch with other rich ladies and write checks to popular charities at society balls.  I know a lot of women who were raised to be exactly the same thing, unconsciously transmitted to them by equally well-intentioned mothers and fathers.  Sometimes we joke with one another at our mutual reversals of fortune and the myths we were born into which fell drastically apart once we were on our own, because nothing we learned in school gave us skills to deal with real life.  It was as if we had been raised to do nothing while appearing to be doing something beneficial.  Everything I really needed to know I've learned by the seat of my jeans.

We cannot change the past, we can only move on and make the best of what we've got.  I don't blame my parents for their child rearing practices, my father abroad for months, my mother sliding down the social ladder from socialite to department store saleslady, repeatedly relocated far from anything she'd ever known, they were only operating within the sole system available in their gradually diminishing circumstances, however, the next generation and the generations following need our help right now as they enter their journey into a new world with new systems and options previously unheard of or lock into lifestyles previously demeaned.  Here is another very important and helpful persuader.  When you really think about the system as it exists today, anything healthy about the typical American education is being slashed from state budgets, so why even bother?  I have much praise for homeschooling and even more for children who are comfortable in their own skin, free to go all the way into their areas of interest as far as they want.  Is there a problem with that?  The only problem is the same problem unacknowledged inside the preoccupied din of the ever-creative errand boys operating as delivery men for the gnashing beast demanding obedience.

As recessions rose and laid dormant only to reoccur, what one person once snubbed as beneath them, i.e.; not good enough, became another person's valued employment as the little people en masse are at last forced back against the wall to accept total loss as normal everyday phenomena. Conversely, what was once refined and respected is now uniformly trashed as FUBAR and vice versa: any job will do, flip burgers, push mops, greet consumers, scrub toilet stalls, who cares, everyone has to eat.  The people who perform those jobs that Americans wouldn't do, deserve our sincere respect for doing them now. Thus, looking around, you'll see the revolution is already in full swing.  It is also violent, but not what we were taught a violent revolution was in world history class.  Now  violence takes place in protests, pitted against masked Darths and their thuggish, brutal street tortures, it takes place in undeclared wars far away from our vision, it happens in the too-frequent and violent crimes discussed in my last post, the kind of crime people resort to committing when they simply explode from a lifetime of abuse via suppression, backwards and upside down to the needs of the authentic self - that real self deep inside us who reaches out unthinkingly to carry a crying baby dolphin to shore as happened in the active phase of the BP debacle.  The kind of crimes that are a release from and attack against the abusive, often religious morality imposed from birth that denied whomever else it was the criminal could have been had he/she been treated with respect, insight to interest and encouragement of those interests, exemplified by the tragic fate of Shaquan Duley and her young sons:
[...] What is it that makes one child oblivious to abuse and another cower and fall ill at the moment its shadow appears over the horizon? What is it that allows one person to be unfeeling towards someones suffering but another experience compassion? [...]

As with everything else, if we want something to happen we have to do it ourselves.  Its too late for many of us reading here, our pasts are already yesterday's tire treads petroglyphed along forgotten trails, a permanent reminder those who inhabit our future might someday find themselves travelling the same destructive paths.  We can make it easier for them if homo sapiens are to survive.  And should they survive, which I am not exactly confident they will, we can at least allow them to possess peace of mind and meaningful lives free of irresponsible value judgements and at all times fully aware of self-worth and skilled in the creation and stewardship required for sustaining life on Earth.  If we cannot leave them material things, as used to be and still is for a certain minority, a yardstick for some kind of unearned accomplishment, we can give them a better trip.  That is the only gift that matters.
Coincidentally, from Visible's essay today, A Transmission from the Visible Planes:
If your idea of loving someone is to give them things in place of the love, you’re going to have a front row seat through the years to what that policy accomplishes. [...]

Photo: Degas oil c. Google Images

120 comments:

Burnie said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUAkxvPDgN8
Merry Christmas Nina
Thanks for your words and thanks for the art.
Burnie

nina said...

You are very welcome my friend. I say the same to you, thanks for your words and your art. I find you work SO inspiring.

nina said...

By the way, I just got an urgent email from a family member asking "What is the Jamaican tea made with soy milk and sugar sticks?" Sounds like a soy chai latte to me.

Iry Rasta? Come in ... come in ...

Sugar sticks? What's that?

This must be one of the ancient Christmas mysteries.

Terrance said...

Ms.Nina....merry Christmas!...what a time to be alive...we must give everyone a better trip...

chickory said...

I love seeing your childhood photos. Thank you for posting them. I once entertained a home school set up where the students would learn each subject through the study of art. History in particular would be served well: think of how Goya tells the story of our now, as does damien hirsts diamond encrusted skull. If i had children of my own, i would have educated them myself, using texts from the turn of the century. You can't believe how elevated the vocabulary is. Read a newspaper from this time, it will illustrate the weak writing and poorly formed construction of opinion masquerading as news stories. But its the State that educates the kids now to be the relentless marching hammers in pink floyds "the wall"

I found this, and thought, this could be my manifesto:

To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common--this is my symphony.

~ William Henry Channing


Ive decided that how I am going to face this situation we find ourselves in is to do whatever the F i feel like doing. to pack in as much goodness and joy as i can. Im grateful i can still sell art in this economy and have the means to grow some food in the summer. I cant convince my husband that this is a good path -he still believes that i could stay in town and "earn more" and "save for later" - instead of us living apart. its a house divided but i have to go this way. I will be vindicated one day - right now im still hovering somewhere between "drop out" and "survivalist"

i took ballet. was not gifted. my mom would drop me off at "carolyns school of dance"; when her car was out of sight i would come back out and hang out in the little woodlot near the school. Carolyn told my mom I hadnt been coming to class and nothing was ever said she just stopped taking me.

I had one of the luckiest breaks a child could get: around 12 years old my family imploded due to divorce. for the next 4 years i would be raised in a situation of benign neglect. there was nobody to push me, expect from me, even pay much attention to me. I see that as a real gift in retrospect.

Merry Christmas Nina. and to all that come here, have a blessed season.

Zoner said...

Glad to see your words here again, Nina.

Resonating with Chickory's gratitude for being left to one's own devices. Imagine an entire childhood in that space. Made for some interesting times that keep on giving indeed.

Best wishes to all.

Z

Anonymous said...

Well put. I am not much of a writer and that's why I use so many quotes and blurbs. You however Nina have a gift that keeps on giving. You put down words that are emitted from deep in your heart.

We can and must change if we are going to lead. All the great leaders are marginalized by the status quo. Because yes they speak the truth. They are not blinded or brainwashed by politics or media's greedy pomp and circumstance. One more quote from Rudolf Steiner:

Materialism has cast man into such depths that a mighty concentration of forces is necessary to raise him again. He is subject to illnesses of the nervous system which are veritable epidemics of the life of the soul.
Rudolf Steiner Quote

If we are trying to raise ourselves and others see our example I think there will be hope for us all. As we are now seeing if you get up off your ass and jam good things begin to happen. Like the focus of Wisdom of the Hands is if the hands work the brain works so much better. When the butt works the brain doesn't work so well.

Scrap

PS Also love those picks of you as a kid. It's like when I see pictures of myself in my youth I realize that I was once fresh now I have been manipulated so much I look a bit more haggard from the bombardment of greedy materialism.
I will not however let the MF's take me down that slippery slope.


Rain on Civil Disobedience.

Anonymous said...

Nice!

More on Santa

http://snippits-and-slappits.blogspot.com/2010/12/santa-timeline-from-then-till-now.html

Anonymous said...

Just had to add that when I see these people posting on forums or blogs stating it is time to get out of dodge (USA), I say to myself: what lazy conceited fucks. Stand and fight for something. Besides it's not about you it is about all of us. Get a backbone. For me it is just another sign of their greed and laziness. They can't change and do not want to deal with hardship. They want to runaway like a 12 year old. And to me that is our biggest problem. They haven't grown up yet. Our politicians and elites are the same. They are greedy little children and everyday must be Christmas

Scrap

Anonymous said...

That said, I think John Lash can explain this far better than I!

If the mind is open, then there is nothing that cannot come into it. Many people are afraid of certain thoughts, of contemplating certain ideas. There is a fear that if these ideas were accepted, they could cause their lives to change in ways they cannot predict. Such people have a fear of the unknown. But, if you can remain unmoved, sure of your centre and your path, it does not matter what enters your mind. Because no matter how your life may be changed by new ideas, you know that your harmony and tranquility will remain undisturbed in any given situation. So, what is there to fear?

Scrap

nina said...

Yes, Terrence, we must and we can. That's all its about anyway, but the human brain complexifies simple things.

That we are alive in this time is something they didn't tell us about, heh. Surprise, everything you thought was for keeps was a set-up and you are perfectly positioned to watch all of it fall apart." Hmmmm, that might have been a little much for too many, however, truth is always easier to deal with.

Merry Christmas to you too.

nina said...

Thank you Chickory. Have you shared your manifesto with your husband and if so, did it resonate with him?
I would think he must admire your creative decisions enough to know beyond doubt you know exactly what you are doing and have valid reasons for your choices.

And maybe its better you have free time to work late into the night if you want without anything stopping you.

I think you are well off with your arrangement for the time being, and it will change as these thing always do.

Have a beautiful holiday. I'm glad you visit here too. I have not forgotten I owe you a mantle piece garland pic.

nina said...

Zoner my brother, that's the most you've said in weeks. Is everything ok? Have you come out of your issue yet? If not, you know the magic secret, don't you. Think of it as medicine, if you've really got it bad, you need to keep doing what pulled you out before, even it it was only briefly. Never give up until you are sure. And then, again, when the need presents itself.

May all be well.

nina said...

Gosh Mick, I got a real surpise earlier today. I laughed and laughed. That was a very high compliment. Thank you.

nina said...

Oh and Mick, in my shock and awe I saw you picked up the typos I corrected afterwords. It doesn't really matter, its the point that matters and I see we all get it anyway. Still, I was amazed. You are too kind (and have great taste in blogs).

nina said...

Scrap said ...They are greedy little children and everyday must be Christmas

Excellent definition of consumerism.
And you have a very good point about cowardliness. It appears a lot of the people attacked on their own soil feel the same way you do. And rightly so. Everywhere it is becoming the same, in time there will be little difference. But, nothing can really be done about it, the snake has swallowed his tail.

Ye thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I fear no evil for thou art with me...

Anonymous said...

I am totaly with that style of teaching,or non teaching sort of guiding softly,much better...cramming childrens minds full of useless so called facts in an agressive competative enviroment,I would say is probably the worst thing you can do to a child,...neil

Strawman said...

Very nice Nina, thanks for it and Merry Christmas.

Zoner said...

Thank you, Nina. I am fine. Just nothing left to say, really.

Learning to make do with less extends to words it seems. So many do so much better anyway, so I will cheer from the sidelines.

Love and warm wishes to All.

Z

nina said...

Strawman, I've been meaning to ask you, were you on that Libertarian John Deere forum with me and Michael Astera? I can't even remember its proper name and now its vanished.

Thank you for your compliment and Merry Christmas. Don't be a stranger.

Anonymous said...

Mysterious Jamaica Tea

Sounds strange to me

Sugar sticks

Maybe cane peice strips

Soaked in hot soya stew

I'd add a ginger's tip

And short rum nip

To raise the strength and hue

Though Xmas been faked

For greed's sake

Any good reason

Whatever the season

Calls for the Mysterious Jamaica Tea.

Let me know how the brew worked out.

Sweet weather. Camping soon.

t.

'co-ten' Best start with two WP.

nina said...

Oh me too, neil. Its fun too, everything goes smoothly when the child is honored, respected and always in on the truth. That's a key element btw, always being truthful.

nina said...

Okay Z, you're off the hook for now. Although, when you set your mind to it you sure make a heart wrenching blog post.

nina said...

Rasta, I will send out your recipe today. I had no idea you had a rhyming talent!
I was thinking sugar sticks might be cinnamon sticks ... we'll see how it goes. I like the rum nip part.
Thank you!
Sounds like you are really getting down to business there. I am soooo glad.
>onelove<

Anonymous said...

well I have tried to bring keelan up like that,but school is school ,a harsh enviroment,he seems to be ok,quite balanced much more than I was at his age,but also quite materialistic aswell,I would of like to of brought him up traveling but that wasnt to be...neil

nina said...

You never know ..neil.., something could happen.

Are you getting the weather blitz too?

Pangolin said...

Hello all. I've been looking at the weather maps today and Nina's getting pasted something fierce. Well, at least the area I think Nina is at is getting pasted. Wish her luck and plenty of dry wood.

Not so bad here up north.

My sibs and I claim that we were raised by wolves. I could never stomach schooling since I was light years ahead in reading and a total social misfit.

Lord Dog help me survive another Christmas.

Thanks for the quotes.

Pangolin

Strawman said...

Nina,

Yes, that was the greatest forum and still miss it all these years (?) later. Never a stranger, just that now so many more are saying it so much better than I. Which is why I'm here, natch.

always.

nina said...

The Lord Australian Shepard and his archangel Basset are pawing at my pantlegs, "Ahrooooooo, Pangolin". That translates into you will make it through this season.

I love this, the Pangolin Clan raised by wolves, me raised by memorization, chickory raising herself.

nina said...

Strawman, I am so happy to reconnect with you, we really got a lot of information early, didn't we? I agree, it was a great place. I was sorry to see it go.

I wonder what happened to Kudzu, heh.

I officially welcome you to this blog and look forward to seeing you around.

MX+HNY!

nina said...

And Pangolin, this is a Climate Chaos pasting.

Zoner said...

You're still a dancer, Nina. Words and color are your avenues of expression to the world and the grace found there is unmistakable.

Z

Anonymous said...

nina,completely covered in snow,arctic blast or something,got me a day off work yesterday though,so I am not complaining.

..neil..

Susannah said...

ha beloved nina,

as a child and young teen when i awoke frightened at night i would imagine music, always tchaikovsky and then i would picture msyeld on this wide tarred road i know well, with palm trees dividing the lanes and old fashioned street lamps.
and i would imagine the music and i would imagine myself starting with one slow pirouette and then the next one, each one with me more airborne until i would practically be fly dancing under the palm trees.
would do this for hours.

ah so not only herders together, but dancers too.

chickory i love and recognise what you say by growing up with benign neglect. what a brilliant way of summing up my childhood too. and what a blessing that i was not pushed in a million directions.
just largely ignored to be free to explore my own stuff.

my ballet teacher was a mrs pretorious and she wore a bun in her grey hair. she was a spinster and every ballet class her parents would fetch her and take her in the little blue anglia from the school to the studio. once or twice i got a lift with her and she ate her lunch in the car.
cold sausages and potato salad. i relive the hunger even now so many years later.

i auditioned for a ballet school in london at the age of 13 - i was told i was too tall to be chorus and i was too undisciplined to be prima.

god i hate these accurate assessments.

scrap - goethe, steiner - they had that insight into emerging man that our current schooling system has buried.
http://www.sandpoint.org/waldorf/7th.htm - how they learn renaissance at this particular age and why.

and to burnie, scrap, zoner, terrance, dublin mick, scrap,
strawman, turey, jj, pangolin, neil, chickory and of course nina - here is wishing you all a solstice of unbelievable beauty and insight.
not forgetting warmth.
peace and blessings to you all.

Jacob Gittes said...

Interesting post. Very interesting.
First of all, hello everyone! Like Zoner, I've been getting by with less online activity.
I permanantly closed down my MugBook account a few weeks ago, and have been very happy with that decision. I've stopped going to bars and restaurants almost entirely, except to hear friends play a gig... that seems worthwhile to me. I've been staying home and getting into repairing things: old turntables, amplifiers, etc. And what's funny is that people want this sort of thing done. Eventually, the container-ship conveyor belt of crap from China will slow to a trickle and then stop. Well-made and potentially useful tools, devices, and products from the past (when things were still made with a modicum of skill and craftsmanship) will become sought after again. I want to be able to help fulfill this need, while doing something that I enjoy: working with my hands.

Nina's post as it relates to educations was therefore very compelling to me, as I find working with my hands to be far more satisfying than the mind-numbing cubicle or academic work that is the norm now. Even more importantly, I have a young son who is on the cusp of being inputted into the public or private educational machine.

I really don't see private schools as, in general, being better than public schools. Many or most of them are even more focussed on discipline and militarism and conformity than the public schools.

My critique and suspicion of the educational system is much more than just a disagreement over the methods, teacher-to-student ratios, etc. I think that I just don't believe that a school, where students are age-segregated and taught out of textbooks, is a good way to "educate" human beings. And I loved the idea from Froebel, "member-whole."

I've thought for some time that turning young humans into age-segragated separate species with "peers" and cliques is insane. Our son, for instance, feels closest to his grandparents, immediate family, and close family friends. Why would we want to turn him into a creature that is bullied by peer-pressure, and eventually cares far more about what his institution-mates think than what his original links to humanity think?

Thus, my issues with education are issues of legitimacy. I don't think the goal and project of modern educational systems are valid, so quibbles about methods, resources, and teacher's unions aren't really that important to me.

I think that the end-products of most modern educational systems are going to be extremely ill-adapted for the world that is coming. Only the misfits and drop-outs and eccentrics really stand a chance of a non-sink-or-swim adaptation to what is coming.

Jacob Gittes said...

Places like the Friend's (Quaker) school seem pretty good, but my oh my do you pay for that, unless you get "financial aid."

A more radical critique I have is the whole idea that every stage of our lives, including education, requires experts to do it for us. The main problem most people have with home-schooling is that they think most parents are idiots, and idiots shouldn't be responsible for the next generation. Well, I hihgly doubt that the graduates of teacher's colleges have been much improved in terms of their ability to nurture young humans.

As Nina's post seems to indicate, the best learning is done by the child herself, when left alone and encouraged and inspired to learn.

Yes, I guess like many here, I did most of my real learning on my own, with my microscope, primitive computer, soldering iron, and books.

I would like to figure out a way to keep my young human out of institutions of education as much as possible, and to be around the house/homestead doing my thing while he does his thing. The radical nature of my goal precludes its immediate implementation, especially considering the early stage of the denouement of our multiple crises.

Big huge blizzard here last week, the biggest since 1991. The shoveling and digging out of cars, etc., actually led me to meet and interact with a lot of good neighbors. Who would have thought that we could all be so helpful to each other?

bholanath said...

Simply lovely as always, Nina -
Some quotes I recently cracked-up with from crazy bastard Derrick Jensen re: education:

"I've come to understand the reason school lasts 13 years. It takes that long to sufficiently break a child's will. Less time wouldn't do it, and in fact, those who are especially slow go to college. For the exceedingly obstinate child there is graduate school."

"A primary purpose of school - and this is true for our culture's science and religion as well - is to lead us away from our own experience. The process of schooling does not give birth to human beings...but instead teaches us to value abstract rewards at the expense of our autonomy, curiosity, interior lives, and time."

"During high school, I believed the primary purpose of school was to break children of the habit of daydreaming."

Regarding 'changes', I see mostly everyone around, when you bring up the inevitability, as well as the possibility of big miracles, immediately turn their minds to the fear reaction about what they might 'lose', and couldn't possibly live without. Instantaneously. There's this need to insist that the old paradigm will continue on the levels they are invested in. So many haven't assimilated the major transformative miracles that have happened in our/their lifetimes, let alone the miracles that occur daily. I see nothing about the future as being 'fixed', and we are standing at the threshold of unimaginable changes and possibilities. All areas and levels of our lives are at the breaking point. No?
>onelove<

nina said...

Publius, I think its only natural people pull together in disaster such as the snows you talk about.

I used to know a lovely man, single, home schooling his daughter who had taken to raising birds. He found the means to get her a video camera and they went to live in Costa Rica where she did documentaries on wild birds. I saw a few of them during their brief return to the US and was amazed how wonderful they were. She was 8 then. As another side benefit, she had become and accomplished horseback rider because that was the best way to get to the special places for tapings.

I don't see why you can't homeschool Eero and let him get into all the needs of the future you are working on. You yourself already know a cubicle career will destroy his spirit as will regimentation of forced learning. He's very bright, ask him what he would specifically like to explore. His opinion counts and if you can let him do what he truly wants, he's guaranteed a more interesting, satisfying life in the years to come. Its really his choice to make.

nina said...

Pangolin, what is the weather website you are looking at?

Its so mushy and wet today I can't get out without risking my life in a muddy spin out. Mother Nature's karmic kickback. All our firewood is soaking wet, the winds ripped off the tarps. Its like running out into a hurricane to bring wood indoors. Nonstop sheets of rain.

nina said...

...when you bring up the inevitability, as well as the possibility of big miracles, immediately turn their minds to the fear reaction about what they might 'lose'...

I see it too. Too often. A whole lot of this segment of society was down and out before easy money greased their palms through sudden wealth driven by the equity vehicle. Now those same people have lost or are losing it all and they are terrified. But life is not unchanging, there is more to it than opulence and big spending, everything has a karmic reaction and every day is a new beginning if we want it to be.

Yes, it has everything to do with being invested which is in equal proportion to the amount of fear, usually expressed as denial. What is denied most vehemently is why they are even invested at all.

Thanks bolanath,you may be on hiatus presently, but this place would not be the same without you. I am honored spar.

Pangolin said...

Nina_I am The Harbinger of Drat. I'm really good at predicting things that are bad, but not crippling.

Actually, I looked at the WeatherUnderground enhanced-infrared satellite maps, made some educated guesses as to your location, altitude and living arrangements and said to myself....."Self, I think that nice lady Nina is going to have a wet woodpile if she doesn't set a dry stock in the mud room.

If I could get a degree in mild pessimism I'd be the Nobel prize holder.

b.t.w. today will be lighter with a 25% chance of clearing in the afternoon as the storm track appears to be shifting south.

v-word: honist...a person who sharpens their commitment to truth.

Pangolin said...

I still have nightmares about Junior High school.

however....

Without the official stamp of approval from an accredited post-secondary institution (which I don't have) an intelligent person has all the job prospects of a a leaky sandbag.

Tossing a inquisitive-minded individual into a WalMart or Mickey D's to work for a living is like tossing a bobcat into a kennel. It don't work nohow.

nina said...

Ah, the infrared satellite! Thanks.

I've had a few of those situations too, but engineered the departures because I would rather be a free person than live under suppression from someone with an allegiance to the bottom line. And I do have the credentials, but the outcome is the same. All of us are in this together Pangolin, credentials or none, the fact is a lifestyle as a truly free person doesn't work in the corporatocracy.

But, I always say, live and let live. We can read War and Peace in our tent city in the mud wearing rags wrapped around our bodies. Its just another experience and isn't that what life is all about? Besides, at the rate things change, it could all go the other way and as Bholanath reminds us, great miracles can happen, are happening. We may be here yet to see a magnificent reversal, or not, but at least we remained true to our principles.

I hope you are not battering yourself by looking at employments where you are guaranteed rejection or suppression and servitude. Do you want my suggestion? I'd go hang out with turey if I were in your shoes and lend your mind and woodworking skills to his project.

nina said...

Desmond SuSu, I should have known! Perhaps the commonality of "herders and dancers" lies in loving natural beauty and nurturing it live up to its best potential?

It sounds like pirouetting on a palm line street is an excellent prelude to meditation. A sort of taking off, like taxiing off the tarmac into over-sight.

nina said...

Thank you Z. Very touching.

freeacre said...

...ah, the dreaded Multiplication Tables. You could also include the frigging Periodic Table. Could never remember those damn valences either. I have a strong IQ, but seem to be a moron when it comes to memorizing. What a torture math class was. I still don't know what 8 times 9 is. I won't forget my high school math teacher giving me the "thumbs down" when I walked past his desk.

I guess it's all relative. My homelife was so miserable that school was like a vacation in comparison. That is my biggest concern regarding home schooling. If the parent is abusive, then the child would never get a break. One can only imagine the constant criticism, the threats and punishments for missed lessons or instructions not followed to the "teacher's" impossible satisfaction. Who would ever know or be able to do anything about it if they did?

What a great Winter Solstice with the moon's eclipse this was! Christmas is proving to be pleasant - with all the simple giving and good treats. I am looking forward to re-setting priorities for the coming year. Enough with the "preparations" already! I want to do more camping, fishing, rock finding, drumming, dancing, and exploring. I want to spend more time being a kid again - this time with no parents.

Anonymous said...

Poem of the Solstice
By: Nanao Sakaki

Within a circle of one meter
You sit, pray and sing

Within a shelter ten meters large
You sleep well, rain sounds a lullaby.

Within a field a hundred meters large
Raise rice and goats.

Within a valley, a thousand meters large
Gather firewood, water, wild vegetables and Amanitas.

Within a forest ten kilometers large
Play with raccoons, hawks,
Poison snakes and butterflies.

Mountainous country Shinano
A hundred kilometers large
Where someone lives leisurely, they say.

Within a circle one thousand kilometers large
Go to see southern coral reef in summer
Or winter drifting ices in the sea of Okhotsk.

Within a circle ten thousand kilometers large
Walking somewhere on the earth.

Within a circle one hundred thousand kilometers large
Swimming in the sea of shooting stars.

Within a circle one million kilometers large
Upon the spaced-out yellow mustard blossoms
The moon in the east, the sun in the west.

Within a circle ten billion kilometers large
Pop far out of the solar system mandala.

Within a circle one million light years large
Andromeda is melting away into snowing cherry flowers.

Now within a circle ten billion light years large
All thoughts of time, space are burnt away
There again you sit, pray and sing
You sit, pray and sing

Scrap

nina said...

BTW FA, its 72.
You have an excellent point. We should only encourage homeschooling for those whose parenting skills fit the requirement and then, still, drop in from time to time to see how its going. But again, there are children located so far from any school, they live in remote locations such as the Navajo kids, the ones you meet helping their folks at the lone tourist stand. We don't know what goes on at home, but they don't seem abused at all to me. Its a different culture, the kids are interested and interesting. Out here, in the mountains, it would be very easy for anything to happen behind closed doors and it has, there is one house sold over and over that nevertheless has child protective services showing up regularly. Chickory and Su seem to have had the best of both worlds.

(This reminds me, has anyone heard from Lightkeeper lately? She is the lovely lady who's father paid for their housekeepers daughter's college.)

This subject is large and important, I'll try to expand on where we've begun so we can go further. Why do some people turn out so well in spite of horrific childhood experience of which public education is only one of many abuses?

nina said...

That is beautiful Scrap. Why were we not given Poem of the Solstice to memorize instead of 8 times 9? How could anyone not think Poem of the Solstice is more authentic than memorizing math tables, because it is math, real math, it multiplies into the ultimate. Everything educational should start from this point.

Yes, I REALLY liked that one. Thank you.

su said...

yes scrap thank you for that.
added depth and dimension.

nina - how art thou faring with the abundant cloud juice.

nina said...

Thank you, we may yet survive, Tsu-nami, but I got a dread flu. My all-the-time hiking boots refuse to dry inside along with wet socks. I need a golden seal lesson again, if you would be so kind.

Still taken aback to come round any corner indoors and not see Cullen.

Weak heat, wet firewood.

Three elements = body disturbance. Real math.

Have you celebrated your birthday yet?

Susannah said...

nina,
my reservation about golden seal at this time is the cold.
it is a very cooling herb.
perhaps if you take a dose and then half an hour later some cayenne pepper or such.
and of course garlic, garlic, garlic.

and if you have any thyme oil around, mix it in a base oil and apply liberally to your chest. it will stop any opportunistic lung infection in its trace.
failing thyme, lavender surprisingly works well in this regard.

well here we are parched out. earth baked and dry but with some clouds floating around lazily awaiting the winds efforts to dispense with them.

no not done the birthday thing yet. february is due date. preparing for it now.......

yes that emptiness where you expect to see love and it is absent. amazing how deeply it shocks and how still grief asks so many questions.

veriword: oxcess

Jacob Gittes said...

Well, just got back from the local pub where I had a beer with my wonderful, challenging nephew. He's about 24. The oldest son of the oldest daughter of my father and his first wife.
He's in law-school. We argue a bit though he's on the side of right, really.

We are going up north tomorrow for Christmas, to spend it with my mom. We are leaving later than I had wanted, because it is mandated that my "performance review" occur before Christmas. So my boss, who obviously delayed it, requires it to happen before I leave.
I will be getting another pretty negative review, I am sure. As my "boss" told me last year, he's got high standards. Which must be why he once interruped his 10 year old son, who was having a heart-to-heart conversation with me, to say "you can just answer yes or no, Sam."
Fear rules. Was it purposely arranged that I got to see a spreadsheet about "downsizing" and firing people when I was helping the Chief Operating Officer with his PC not too long ago?

At the company Xmas party on Friday, the CFO (chief financial officer), the same cretin whom I had to complain about due to harrassment in the spring... this same dweeb sidled up to me with a drink and immediately tried to have a big confrontation about Wikileaks: "so what do you think about that Wikileaks guy? He's a TERRORIST... What do YOU think..."

"well..."

"If the CIA did set that sex scandal up, I support that... I hope they did do it... "

"What do you think, John?"

"He's doing it for the money... you see how Visa stopped processing his payments... he's just in it for the money..."

"If that's true," I said, "then that's disgusting...."

It would be disgusting if that's what Assange was up to, but as we all know, that's bullshit. Assange may be a bit full of himself, but it would take someone like that to dare to take on the PTB. Who among us would dare to incur the rath of pure evil power incarnate? Not I.

Jacob Gittes said...

I'm just posting because I think I can handle the upcoming assault on my performance. I do a damn good job of keeping my fellow employee's computers and smart phones and networks running, but I do not conform to the system. The firewall tells my personal PTB that I spend too much time on subversive web surfing, but... the people I serve like me. What more is there to say? Like all of us, I must simply endure the inevitable put-downs and threats. As Les Visible recently said, I should be OK if I keep in mind who and what I really serve.

I think I would be a good home-school parents. My father was abusive. A madman. I am not. I play with my son for hours on end, building things, helping him fix toys and machines. His grandparents play with him in endless role-playing games.

It brings me to tears to think of all the children sacrificed on the alter of war and greed, "Red State" kids brainwashed into military service, dying in agony thinking of their mothers and wives.

All I want is for my son, my wife, my family and friends (including you all here) to be safe and secure in love and friendship and community. But of course, that makes me a domestic extremist.

Jacob Gittes said...

Nina, I am sorry that you are ill or out-of-sorts from what I read.
I also am aware that the weather in your valley is pretty bizarre and difficult. I can't do much to help you from here, but certainly get a tarp or something to keep your wood dry. You are a beloved friend, even if it's of the pen-pal variety. I think that words, if written with feeling and good intentions, can be more powerful than almost anything, and your words mean a lot to so many... along with the comments and thoughts of your fellow travelers. We are blessed to have this ability to reach out. We'll see how "net neutrality" affects this gift.

nina said...

Good morning everyone, before I get into Publius and Su's comments I would like to say never underestimate the power of disaster. Chip, my Appy friend, had to be relocated to dry ground along with his pregnant girlfriend, the lovely Mustang Stella. This is good, I miss them, but they'll be back as soon as a drainage system for their stall can be put into place. Left behind, but safely up the hill are the three new black sheep. Paintings and photos to come. The sheep will be enlisted this spring for grazing the whole area and we could not be more thrilled. The two females are also heh, with child. The sheep have black faces and cream bodies, big too, super healthy and very humorous.
My whole region is under a state of emergency which is another way of saying lots of money the broke state doesn't have is being spent. There will be heartbreaking consequences all around.

I am taking so much medication its absurd. Probably making no sense, babbling, but a lesson to stock up on herbal supplies. Thank you for your well wishes.

Vword: relinc (This is real my friends.)

Charles Hugh Smith said...

Nina, take good care of yourself, and thank you for writing so keenly about education--a huge topic, so misunderstood. We are still in the factory mode of "producing" "educated citizens."

nina said...

Thank you Su, that's a great list of what one should have on hand for these times. All the more reason to leave civilization and go live in the jungle where spices have not been tampered with and health grows freely in the bush. The one health food shop within a hundred miles went out of business last month. Right now I am having Tazo Passion Tea: Hibiscus, Lemon Grass, Rose Hips, Mango and Passion Fruit flowers. Is that going to be helpful? (Typing is so much easier than talking, my voice is gone.)

I look forward to February, you are very brave. This is going to be your best birthday ever. Are you having the kids around? It seems like they would be perfect facilitators to your joy. I can't wait to hear all about it.

nina said...

Hi Charles, thank you, what a happy surprise to see you wedge in here today. Yes, this educated citizens system is just more of America going through the motions as if everything is BAU. Yes, that was one of your all time greatest essays saved in the Free Never Overdue Library.
I can't take credit for this one however, that started with an email from Scrap who keeps proving to be a font of beautiful, helpful information.

nina said...

Publius, we had all the firewood secured with tarps and the winds were so intense they ripped up the tarps. But, I found by digging under the wet wood, the wood underneath is dry, damp but it works.

nina said...

Publius, you will be fine home schooling Eero. You will have problems with extended family who will want to know what you think your are doing, but stand firm, its Eero and his life, all you can be is a catalyst for fulfilling his destiny.

And also, you are doing good works at your employment, you are especially valuable since most cubiclites have little or no grasp of technology. You know, if its not where you are now, there are others who need you. I've said this before, you are in the driver's seat. You sound like you have figured this out and are comfortable with it.

Performance Review? Sounds like high stakes report cards. Christmas is such a great time for this, isn't it? NOT.

Susannah said...

the most important remedy you can take now especially if your voice is faltering is garlic. tons of it.

about being brave - hey brave and foolish are so close are they not:)

the kids know about my intention and each in their own way goes and looks up something and then comes to tell me what they have discovered.
like there is retinal tissue in the pineal gland.
that the only thing that you might die of is astonishment.
it is the ultimate healer.
t

i don't know yet where to do it or how alone to be on the journey. things will just fall into place as they always do.

wishing you strength and speedy recover.

Susannah said...

ah i wanted to tell you that you have a namesake.
we straddled the road stretching through the vineyards, complete as a family on a rare outing.
nearing a rather large town i asked pieter to stop at the pet shop.
he said why - and i said we need to liberate some guinea pigs.
there were two in a small cage. a black abysinnian who is the most magnificent creature i have ever seen. a few years old. how could anyone abandon him to a pet shop?
and this most beautiful being of colours hard to describe, but of such exquisite gentleness and beauty - her name is nina.
in honour of cullen and malcome.

they fell into my lap your honour, they really did....

a new tribe forms......

nina said...

Oh my gosh, I am deeply, deeply honored. I must see photos. No one ever named anything after me before, well, that's not true, there is a curious hedgehog in Michigan...

I'll just wait until your next post, the way you fill in everything with beautiful moments and beloved species.

Let me know an address where I can send a few pounds of 3rd cut Timothy hay to this cherished couple.

Now to comb the cupboards for garlic.

This is great, you're back into it. Viva la liberation! The guys, of whom George is one of them, naturally, are smiling upon you from the Animal Kingdom.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting me post Nanao's solstice poem. One of my favorite poets. He died on Dec 21, 2008. I discovered him through Gary Snyder's writings and have enjoyed his writing since. It added a dimension to this thread in the way poetry is in itself a way to learn expression with just a simple format.

I was one of those students who the teachers always said had high potential but lacked the drive to excel. But I knew then as I know now that it is all relative to who is making the statement. As i stated to you Nina in one of my first bits of letter writing to you was a very early (1970ish) journal post on how I wanted to rip off society. I am going to continue in that mode until the day I die. It is a form of civil disobedience.

My first visit to the principals office was in kindergarten. So I have been a fly in the ointment from the age of 5.

Below are a couple of added bits about Nanao

From a letter written by poet Gary Snyder:

“Last night I got word from Japan that Nanao Sakaki had suddenly died. He was living with friends in the mountains of Nagano prefecture in a little cabin. He had stepped out the door in the middle of the night to stargaze or pee and apparently had a severe heart attack. His friends found him on the ground the next morning. Christmas afternoon they’ll hold the otsuya – intimate friends drinking party in his room, sitting with his body — and a cremation after that. He was one of my best friends in this lifetime.”

A favorite simple poem:

Read books
If you have time to read
Walk into mountain, desert and ocean
If you have time to walk
Sing Songs and dance
If you have time to dance
Sit quietly, you Happy Lucky Idiot

Feel better and Thanks again for your spot here on the world wide web.

Merry Christmas to all of you special people here in this special place

Scrap

Anonymous said...

turey and scrap top poetry...
and happy solstice for yesterday everyone..neil

Susannah said...

cool image at the top of the page.
is that jake?

have just uploaded new updates on the blog. vlad received the jamaican kiss and somehow softened into enjoying his experience.

praise.

don't know what is up with my blog comments - if you scroll down from the post you get huge ghostly crosses. no idea why.
also dates on the images - time is so dependent on our updating of it.

neil - writing one for you this time......
the tribe starts pouring in over the hills.

Anonymous said...

From slavery days Christmas time was jolification. Money tight, spirits still high.

Black wolf pup in good form and fighting the big dogs Nina. Pic eventually.

Peace and Love, turey.

nina said...

Love to you too Spah, may the season be a great one for you, if it isn't already! What a year you've had.
PRAISES

Anonymous said...

free chasing winds
a fired heart brush
four volts of union
a living bolt rush
thrust inner sanctity
rising in waves
stirred on a moment
expressions enflamed
rain on the living
bolt through the doors
swift on the wing
living light raws
crumbles all wars
stirs round the peace
wise as the mountains
the stars and the seas.

..peace..

Anonymous said...

its not really a christmas poem,sorry nina,that just the way it came out...

have a really nice christmas people

..neil..

chickory said...

so many wonderful comments to comment on -great solstice poem, su's rememdies, neils poems...publius' dreaded office party...so glad the horses are fine, all of you are fine

Nina! I had a cold and hadnt had one in years. i did the neti pot with silver in the salt water and it cleared up in 5 days...took one whole day off to lay around and feel sorry for myself.

i wish you, and everyone you hold dear, the very merriest day and a blessed new year. and we are blessed...whatever tptb's do. look at the wealth of heart and knowledge on these pages.

sending all of you here, my most sincere greetings of love and fellowship. Merry CHristmas!

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9rjO3J7R4E&feature=related

Daughter and self walking to our beach starring Rusty.

turey.

Erin Parsley said...

Hello to all,

I am finally posting a comment here. I have been reading yours (and other linked) blogs for several months now, maybe since the beginning of the summer. I have seen that called "lurking", though to me that seems a rather creepy term for an activity that has given me such positive food for thought and soul! I am feeling somewhat shy about jumping in here, because believe it or not, I have maybe posted a total of 2 comments in my entire time online (10 years now). But I feel a deep connection and resonance to all who show up here, what is said, what is shared, the views expressed, the writings and poems shared. And I really appreciate your paintings. The scenes of the California countryside bring up memories and deeply ingrained images, having grown up in the North Valley there. And then, when I read this latest post Nina, I felt it was time to dive in due to your sharing of your long held love: dance. I am a dancer, have been dancing seriously (as in, it has been my ENTIRE life, to the exclusion of even my high school graduation - a performance took precedence that night) since the age of 9, though took pre-dance at age 3, have no memory of a time when I didn't hold this love of movement. I am sorry for your lack of support in your younger years. I was lucky to have a family that supported me completely in this (though never pushed me - I was totally self-directed in my starting and continuing). After 26 years of dancing I have expanded my focus and passions to other (practical but happily still creative) endeavors, which I am glad to have discovered have only enriched my dancing/teaching/choreographing.

I don't mean this to be all about me, but I do want to introduce myself to this special corner of the www. As mentioned before, I have enjoyed reading all of your thoughts, and find it so strange and yet so at least good that if one cannot find others on the same page in the 3D world, at least they can be found online!

Merry Christmas and winter blessings to all.

Erin Parsley said...

Sorry about the multiple postings. I was told my first attempt was too big to publish, but it then appeared anyway.

As I mentioned, I'm not too experienced in commenting online!

nina said...

We have a professional dancer now! Let's see, is there anything worthwhile we don't have? Naw, we're good to go. Thank you and welcome LifeinCreation, congratulations on making that jete from silence into our noisy studio.
May your Christmas be happy and bright and your the New Year as courageous as your Christmas.

nina said...

As I was getting into the mood to reply to comments the Fireteacher celled to say he was stuck fast in the squishy in the desert. After so much rain, he should have not gone, but there was an ancient structure calling to be seen. I might see him by New Years, maybe.

nina said...

Chickory, you've really got the spirit this year. You've been posting photos on your gorgeous blog every day and I am enjoying ALL of it. Its weird, but this is the first year in a long time I've gotten into the holidays, this is because your enthusiasm is catching. Thank you so much. And most of all, thank you for your friendship.
Love, nina

nina said...

Rasta! You have a video now? I knew that visit with your daughter was going to be so nice. She's really proud of you, isn't she. It is important we step back every now and then and see our life through someone else's eyes.
I have to go see your video now.

May this next year be even more exciting, valuable and productive than the last, although I realize that will be hard to beat, but I have great faith in you.

>one love one heart<

nina said...

Okay ..neil.., I can finally ask you the question I've wanted to ask for a long time, What did you give your sweet Mum for Christmas? And you might as well tell us what you gave your son as long as you're at it. I bet you gave him an entire day of yourself. Maybe the whole week, yes?
Have I told you lately how much I love your poetry?

Anonymous said...

well she got a kasmiri carpet,but i gave it to her ages ago,so she is feeling hard done by,she wont ever say though,have only had two days off over christmas,so keelan hasnt had a lot of attention,today took him to the airport as he is going to see his mum and family in finland.been a pretty tough christmas this year though, still waiting for payments of jobs that I have done,will probably get my mum and dad a lump of silver when the money eventualy comes.keelan has done very well he somehow managed to get me to take him to the biggest shopping hell in kent where we live and spend too much money on clothes about £200 he now cant where a pair of trainers unless they cost about $60,also his uncle has given him his old music equipment,which I would say is the best present that keelan got...neil

nina said...

Thank you ..neil..! This is one of the greatest things about the internet, communicating with others who live in places I've never been. I've been in London, but not Kent, so it is a pleasure to hear you talk about your life in this season in your own vernacular. You are so thoughtful with your parents, that is a rare thing for men just turning 30. Keelan seems to have gotten himself into some consumerism, only natural when kids go to the mall and see what everyone else is doing/wearing. Btw what are "trainers"?
Be careful your customers don't default on you. I would love to see your parents' faces receiving their lump of silver. Be sure and keep us updated on this.
Hope Keelan has a safe and happy visit in Finland.

nina said...

Susanah, I meant to tell you I know about those crosses.

FACT
They are grotesque enlargements of the garbage can seen by whomever is an eblogger and signed-in. Normally, the tiny garbage cans we see on either our own blogs or other ebloggers' blogs while signed-in are the eb system's icon for comment deletion. Being signed-in gives us the opportunity to delete any comment on our own blogs and only our own comments on other eb blogs.

Evidence:
I saw these leviathan garbage cans only on my comments while on your blog. Also, I happened to be signed-in to my blog. None of the other comments had them.

Probable Cause of oversized, out of focus garbage can crosses:
Hypertext markup language error.

Erin Parsley said...

Nina,
Warm heart feelings to be officially welcomed into your space. Thank you, and I am happy I have made the (now shown to be effortless) leap.

Erin Parsley said...

Neil,
I too love your poems. It seems to me they must flow out of you with ease, which is how they come across as well.
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

actualy nina I was 40 the other day,keelan is 16,kent where we live is known as the garden of england as a lot of fruit is grown there,lots of weird stuff,canterbury just down the road,where the first christian church was,the placement of it was directly over where the old kings of kent were buried,which apparently was on an old lay line,so they say..
life in creation,sometimes its easy sometimes hard,it is the only thing that truely relaxs me,well actually dancing does too,have found dancing can turn into a trance like state..
.........neil

Anonymous said...

is that your feet up their nina,have we been blessed with a picture of your feet..neil

nina said...

Yes ..neil... a digital accident, but I liked the arrangement of elements.

Jacob Gittes said...

Dear friends,
regarding dance, it's interesting... my wife studied modern dance. Now she teaches yoga, among other things.
I think that her interest in dance and yoga has given her some amazing abilities to sense things intuitively, and has saved our relationship and given me a lot of new ways of thinking.

As a child and teen, I pretty much left my body and disappeared into books and science and technology, as an escape from the bitter truths of my family environment.

Thus, her body centerdness has been a blessing.

Anonymous said...

well nina,as a foot scholar initiated into the ancient school of foot scholaring,I have deduced that your feet may be attached by your ankle's to your legs,I have also discovered that them feet may have been used on the odd occasion to boot that poor fire teachers backside when all he wanted to do was have a nice cup of tea and relax.
if any body else wants any foot wisdom or advice,this sort of skill is extremely expensive and comes at about £20,000 for the first hour and even more for any hour after that..you can reach me by running outside and pretending to be a seagull for about 10minutes I will come as soon as I can

sorry in stupid land again..neil

nina said...

..neil.., after our introduction to Numerology, its time to look at Reflexology.

nina said...

That is beautiful Publius, and what a great benefit to Eero too. How sweet it must be to come home from your workday and relax in a Yoga session. You are fortunate.

Anonymous said...

thanks nina,and sorry fire keeper,peace and repects...neil

Anonymous said...

nina dont know if you was talking about yesterdays poem on les's,but that was unintentional...neil

Anonymous said...

as a carpenter am working with numbers all the time,numerology to be honest with you doesnt cut it for me,if the numbers align synchronisticly then good for them,but to deliberately try to manipulate that to me doesnt feel right,it seems as the innocense would be lost,the energy corrupted..neil

Erin Parsley said...

neil, on poetry and dance, i'm right there with you.

Anonymous said...

thanks life in creation,I'm with you too, have been over to your site,will write a poem for you soon...neil

Charles Hugh Smith said...

Happy new year to the Artlife West tribe!

neil said...

rising heart
warm a fire
lifting life
sacred higher
flow in truth
natures way
brush within
song bird play
sound of meadow
touching heart
river race
light in charge
a volt of union
living flow
lift within
heart rose

..peace..


life in creation,that poem that you wrote is really really good and your dances are beautiful,I wrote a poem for you but I cant seem to post anything on your site,so have put it hear for you instead..thankyou neil

nina said...

Happy New Year to all of you.

Hi Charles, we must be going for an even 100 here.

nina said...

I'm glad you did ..neil.. I hate to miss rafting on a single one of the rivers of purity from your heart.

Anonymous said...

wander waken
reach in heart
lift of living
life in spark
glowing union
liberation flow
rise a living
lift a rose
the north wind blow
brush the trees
up the way
over the sea's
true nature weaves
the heart in life
the art of all things
within all rise.

..peace..

Anonymous said...

thanks nina,happy new year to everyone.
.....neil

Erin Parsley said...

neil,
I LOVE my poem! Thank you so much, I am so honored. And thank you for visiting my site. As you can probably tell, it's newly created, so I'm not sure what the problem is regarding commenting. I don't have anonymous comments blocked. I tested it out myself and it seemed to work. Hmnn...

I am glad you enjoyed my writing and dances. That means a lot, coming from you, sir poet. I have been inspired in the last year with a rush of words flowing through me like the powerful energy moving all around us now. Yours have really inspired me, and I felt the desire to share mine, hence my new space.

Blessings.

Erin Parsley said...

to Nina and all,

A very happy new year to the good souls here.

Here's to a new (and unquestionably interesting) decade!

Anonymous said...

have tried everything erin,nothing seems to work,although have now some how got my name up on ninas,I think I may of become one your first followers too,just cant post anything but my computer skills are terrible,
anyway will have another go later..neil

nina said...

I'm going to check this comment problem out LIC & neil. I know there are some options, one of which should work.

nina said...

Life in Creation, we're going to fix your comments issue, ready?

Okay, first sign in.
Then go to Settings.
Open the Comments tab.

Under "Comments" select show.

Under Who Can Comment select Anyone.

Under Comment Form Placement select Full Page.

Under Comments Default for Posts select New Posts Have Comments.

Under Backlinks, select show.

Under Backlinks Default for Posts select New Posts Have Backlinks.

Then select your timestamp and create a short comment form header message.

Under Comment Moderation, select "Never"(to start out, if you want to change it later you have several good options.) You can leave that email address box blank.

Under Show word verification for comments? My suggestion is No until a spammer shows up in which case select yes to add one more step to the comment process, sometimes discourages spam, not always.

Under Show profile images on comments? Your choice, either yes or no should not impact the showing of comments.

Under Comment Notification Email, this is where you put in your email address. Every comment goes to your email and your blog. Even the deleted comments go to your email.
Now, click on SAVE SETTINGS and you should be good to go.
My suggestion to make this process really easy is to have this comment page open under one tab while you view your Comment Settings in another tab so you can switch back and forth.

If you still have problems after this, we will continue further. there are other areas in settings where the problem could lie, and we can explore them until you are all set. But this area is usually where comment page problems originate.

Anonymous said...

Another swing around the sun. Went to bed early and walked to land for sunrise. Found a miniature red hibiscus, I'm sure other rare things are in these hills.

Remember to date cheques etc 2011.

Best to you all, turey.

nina said...

Life, If we can get your comments up and running, I will put your blog on my list because it really is lovely and inspiring and people will want to tell you so.

nina said...

Dearest Rasta, Laughing here, anyplace where the date has to be chronicled I mess it up for at least the month of January.

Can you replant the Hibiscus to your land? Or was it on your land (Jahland) already? Silly thing isn't it, this construct we can possess personal parcels of Mother Earth.

IRY ITES

Pangolin said...

Happy New Year!
I went to New Years Eve dance church bash where we danced ourselves silly. We sat down to do a midnight meditation and a large freight train rumbled by marking the moment.

Erin Parsley said...

nina,
thank you for your detailed help. i really appreciate it. i followed your suggestions. Light Keeper was able to comment yesterday with no problem. hopefully now there are no issues. i have logged out and tested posting an anonymous comment, and it seemed to work as well. if you or neil want to try and let me know, you can.

regarding having comments or links open in a new tab, i have been trying to figure that out for awhile now, but it seems to require changing the html code, and i'm not confident in how to accomplish that.

i would be extremely honored to be included on your site.

ps-
the moon, and the color purple....
how is it that you painted two of my very favorite things since childhood?
(trees are nice too:)

Erin Parsley said...

Pangolin,

a "New Years Eve dance church bash" with meditation afterwards.

That sound like my kind of church!

Anonymous said...

Seems to be local. Gotta check "The Flora of Jamaica".

Your moon through the trees in a violet sky is yum.

t.

neil said...

quality computer skills nina,myself I seem to have aquired the ability to completely mess up any computer just by pressing a couple of buttons,even an atm..
sounds like everyone had a good time everywhere..
peace and respects to all..

john said...

Happy new year to you nina and also to all the people who comment here, it is always an interesting read. I hope you all have a good year.

I'm not sure if it was answered or not but 'trainers' are what we call sport shoes, running shoes, that sort of thing.

cheers for now nina and hoping your damp wood becomes dry again soon.

nina said...

Pangolin, now that's my idea of a celebration perfect for marking the passing of four seasons. I'm sure you experienced great release. In a perfect world everyone would have access to dance church.

nina said...

Happy New Year John, I look forward to seeing more of your work. I so enjoy the way you take us through the seasons and history behind the beauty.

nina said...

John, one more thing, thanks for clearing that up on the "trainers". I could not imagine what they looked like. I wondered if they were some kind of man sized baby shoes. Heh.


New Post up: Kali at the gates