D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Saturday, December 04, 2010

crime and consumption inside the pyramid of limited growth

Welcome to the end of 2010 AD, the hottest year on record where climate catastrophe expresses itself in ice storms, blizzards, tornadoes, droughts, massive displacement from record floods, the unleashing of the Gulf Stream, the death of our oceans and slaughter of sea life, as the manipulators of the markets trawl the planet for hidden treasure.  The wars and threats, the sly turns of phrase concealing nefarious intent, the untying of entire social fabrics into homelessness and penury, human against human, the survival of the most unfit with imitation mullahs, Jesus theme parks, the celebrated Sarah Palin gaffing with the stars ...  Next?

I had to get into town yesterday, prepare my mind, stagger my lists of our most dire needs, the idea was a quick turn around, the vision: brief inconveniences, but a zoom-thru. I was wrong. Every day is Black Friday now, every retailer anticipating the every need of the breathless consumer, too consumed in consuming to gift wrap the items being purchased. Thus, gift wrapping service is back, restructured in prototypical style for today's overworked workers - such as men's plaid pajama pants prewrapped for your convenience in a matching plaid flannel, gold-corded drawstring bag. "Just throw it under the tree".  Many people will.  (Then why bother to wrap anything at all?) I looked at them briefly, in sideways glances appearing to look beyond them, wondering what their lives must be like.  I wondered now that unemployment benefits are on hiatus again, WHAT were they thinking standing between the cashier and the card reader, ashen-faced, waiting for approval.  Approval.  And believe you me, this place was not Neiman's.  No, this prefab aluminum freestanding HVAC'd energy whale was only one of millions dotting the face of our tortured planet providing an all under one roof multi-aisled mall.  You may call them by their brand names, but they bear little separation from their engineering department's prototype illustrated in the engineering manual belonging to the mother ship.  That is why they all look alike and feel alike.  The little guys just can't get on board unless they are too absorbable to fail, meaning they statistically clocked-in with a profitable niche and bear AAA rated potential for mass consumption suitable for whichever targeted age and income demographic is most available for pocket picking.  Enter the Marketeers. This too is all in the manual as a No Child Left Behind sort of thing.

Everything out there has its place in someones shopping cart, maybe not ours, but someone who doesn't know when enough is enough.  Oh, I'm sure they mean well, but they have no, not even a basic low-level unacknowledged passing concern, self-awareness or grasp of free will to hold themselves back from dubious decisions.  You could surmise they've operated on auto-pilot throughout eternity. Such is the round scripted lifestyle of which the human being is but a square peg on which minute-by-minute the chisels work to make us fit the prototype.  The model. I passed children's dresses trying to find an exit and overheard the clerk tell a customer, "I'm taking this off the model because I have to have it, but come back later, we're restocking tonight."  Actually, I was amazed I heard anything above the roar of gnashing consumption.  It has a sound of its own like a sports stadium filled with puking migraine sufferers and crying babies.


Since it is impossible to shape us any more than we already shape ourselves, it chafes - some a great deal more than others (those in particular who go along to get along, the incurious) as we see in the almost daily, once  infrequent, bizarre crimes against other people they inflict as if their actions are fully justified by helpless lapses into sheer irrationality.  I hate to say this, but these home grown crimes are becoming commonly more gruesome as they unfold.  Fact: Too many rats in a cage will fight to the death.  We now expect stealth plotting, preplanned multiples of misleading illogical excuses, gang rape, death and dismemberment as another extension of WWT (worldwide terror).


For this many people populating our dying planet squeezed under unbearable restrictions growing stricter, like a house where the windowless rooms grow smaller, tighter, in every dimension, the unbalanced, the beaten-down, the confused, well, somethings gotta blow and many are blowing now.  In the Culture of Extinction (Charles' title), the tight lids "always-misfits" hide under are coming unglued.  They seem to arrive from diseased (dis-eased) roots, early on find solace in imitation, but poisoned by BGH and weed killer, never fitting into any mold whatsoever.  They grew misanthropic over time except for what survival for themselves could be appropriated through innocent others, whether in a volcanic release of roiling under the surface pent-up energies or a pure expression of hatred of humanity manifesting through acting-out a perceived satanic part in the great comedy.  Couple this stark void of self-awareness and lack of free will with all else happening environmentally and politically throughout the globe, sprinkle on stubborn chemtrails, the unpunished crimes of political criminals, increasing indebtedness and a representative-self dictating survival by any means within immediate reach and you get deformed, crippled behaviors that by their very grossness, further infect and upend everything surrounding them never to return to anything resembling even remote stability. Prison and programs are mere placeholders because the thing unrecognized is the healing required to eliminate these crimes against the innocent comes only from within.  As long as everyone going along to get along appears to survive in the Culture of Extinction, the example from on high set in stone and widely approved, the crippled mannequin, the failed prototype, still imitating, sees himself as deserving his role in that culture.   Giving vent to his rage is just a small part of an evolving malevolent philosophy likely glimpsed during the formative years with self-inflicted unhealthy and repetitive doses of pcp tranched with speed.

Ambient abuse turned to domestic violence is always wildly exacerbated by money issues.  Its like cremating a simmering pot. The slightest and most unexpected thing sets them off.  Thus, sitting directly under our noses we have a huge violent domestic crisis drowned out by apples and androids and yet, why this is so is rarely questioned. Every cultural trigger still exists.  The safety remains on off.


Somehow, in the immediate aftermath of 911, I came across a plastic flag pin and wore it.  I participated in the lights on all night solidarity of the masses.   I stayed online, seeking information while the TV alternated between hurricane warnings and Bushisms.  This went on for about two days, soundtracked by hammers slamming up storm shutters until hurricane pundits were all that was on 24 hours straight, drowning out the bullhorns and crazy pilots.  And then the power went out.  The winds howled, the foundations shook, the trees were breaking, sheets of rain beat its way into every crevice, the animals racing around the interior, horrified.  It came to me our present was all that mattered and would always be all that matters.  Everything else is extraneous manufactured prototypical stuffing except for the fundamental basics, our loved ones peace of mind which means of course, we have to be there for them in whatever way is possible.  This is why, especially in these harsh times, we dutifully get up every day and square off with dragons so that our loved ones will not have the same struggle.


We know just by observing the direction daily drastic events are heading, things are going to get worse.  Again, adjusting your program in support of your loved ones is priority.  Some of us do it naturally as we've always done and some of us will need to force the effort.  If you should find yourself feeling like rusty brillo, short and abrasive, swallow your pride.  A great love of my life, a brilliant orphaned, highschool dropout with a remarkable sensitivity to the complex nuances of jazz once said "Revolution begins at home..."  I would only add that revolution first begins with self-awareness.

I am thoroughly depleted by the bickering, contradictory Sopranos and their spiteful, worshiping errand boys so we won't even go there this week.  There are other more helpful and compassionate places to be.

36 comments:

Susannah said...

It sounds unbelievably lacking in compassion but that is what war is - i think chickory's father would fully understand if he was told about what was happening and that she simply could not morally play any part in giving this monster strength by appeasing it in any way. Not with the knowledge she holds.
By allowing it and choosing the t-shirt option - you have accepted it. Plain and clear.
for whatever reason.
maybe if you really can't leave your dad alone at this time of year then your husband must remain home alone. And you can go by train ----

Don't make it so fucking easy to be taken control over.

And nina what the fuck are you doing in the soulless paradise.
and whilst you might be observing everyone there with an astuteness and wisdom you are bowing at the feet of consumerism whatever way you look at it.

i urge all of you living in that part of the world to not wax in words about what is wrong with the system, but take it down in whatever way you can whilst you can.

As some renegade once said 'let the dead bury the dead".

And this is said with love and compassion and horror at where you are heading to....

nina said...

Will it make you feel better to know I went there in support of loved ones, seeking silver string to make Chickory's garlands which of course I realized I could make from this year's abundance of pine, acorns and cones?
Sometimes a need to see it in all its full blown horror serves to more deeply appreciate and reinforce values as most certainly will happen when the unschooled's sabbatical comes home to roost.
You mustn't fret. The lures of the desperate can never be enough to draw us in. Never ever.

I deleted this comment last night due to a typo and then the system crashed, no way could I get back on.

su said...

there is this rage raging within right now.
a fire burning bright and hot.
i want to move, destroy, transform, instead i whinge and question.
ah if my will and gods will were the same.

Pangolin said...

You went to Costco didn't you. I've seen it around here; hill people, down for the day, loading up a freight cart with giant piles of toilet paper, dog food, noodles, rice and cheese.

Pangolin prescribes a day of drinking nothing but nettle tea followed by a white bean soup and cornbread. Make sure you use the wild laurel leaves in the soup.

If I were you I would also use this as an excuse to build a sweat lodge out the back door. It's easier to heat a closet than a building.

Possibly the only advantage to having no money is I have no reason to enter these places. Christmas can go hang.

Pangolin said...

Su, It's the time get out the brush knife and take to the thicket. Or dig a new garden bed. If you're really angry collect seeds of burdock, privet, and Ailanthus and toss them over the walls of your local corporados. Privet will rot their roofs and Ailanthus will heave their foundations.

nina said...

Pangolin, over the years these things have existed, I've been inside every prototype of each. Costco looks like Walmart which looks like Kmart which looks like Target, ad nauseum. I used to swear religiously I would never go inside, but when you are staying with friends as we sometimes must, and they relish these trips, I've gone along or risk huge disappointment with my host/s. The weirdest of all these trips was the day I tagged along and was left to wander, coming across the party section where a clerk blowing up party balloons popped one. BANG! In minutes the whole cavernous cathedral was empty. I just stood around and watched that too.

Anonymous said...

enterprising everlasting
goodness knows whats best
sitting on the balcony
looking over whatever next
whatever happens happens
nescessity arise
formulas stir above
flying dove inside
rythmic patterns rolling
charge within the now
on momentary thought spins
who knows why and how
universal unifying
liberation flow
potent inner union
of the everlasting grow

..peace..

Anonymous said...

I dont know about costco,it sounds bad a bit like tesco where I live,I try not to go their,but sometimes its the only place ,its huge you could probably find lost people from years ago in their,it can take ages to find anything as I have no idea where anything is,I dread so I try not to go...

..neil..

nina said...

..neil.., thanks, I was pretty sure you had these leviathans in the UK. We know China does.

And then there were reports during the housing boom North American Walmarts were trying to become banks, I suppose to be able to lend at interest immediately during frenzied moments of consumerism. If they'd been successful, all the lookalikes would have done the same. Next time you are in your Tesco, look at the service area in the front and see if there is a Tesco Bank.

Isn't that just what subprimers, unemployed, homeless and welfare recipients need, more credit? Whoa!

Your poem is timely and wonderful as always. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

su..I had them the other day,the turmoils or something,whatever you call them,all of a sudden they lifted and then been floating around like a butterfly in varying degree's since,...neil

nina said...

On rage: About Anger and Raging

This is obviously written by a guy in AA which provides often very good information and has the lowest rate of recidivism among rehab programs. But I don't know, it doesn't seem to address the kind and of rage you are experiencing Su. Your rage seems healthy and appropriate considering ...
Mine is like yours. The one valuable line I got was it gives one a feeling of power over that which they have none. That could be happening completely unconsciously. We have been left behind, hurt and become unnecessary which - all together, past sadness, past hurt, is a strong basis for rage.
But our rage is ineffectual. Rage too loudly and you go to jail. Rage is a municipal cash cow even for abstainers.

Anonymous said...

thanks nina,it does have a bank thing in it,to be honest it probably has everything in it,I have never looked,its bad enough getting some spuds..
the whole tesco thing is bad,we used to have a healthy local market here but that is crumbling,people who work in tesco all on minimum wage,the takings in the local shops fallen,turmoil struggle is normal here,also good writings yourself..

....neil

Anonymous said...

The old markets still operate. Coronation, Solas, Black River....yams, bananas, beeswax, sour oranges, the herbs and potions and on. Strong ladies that heave good food and keep the megas away from their old turf.

Good banter, Ital food always cooking somewhere, extras given and qualities debated and mocked.

Tent up, simple water catchment and a level floor next. Front fence almost done, the goats giving a wary eye.

Later, turey.

Anonymous said...

Very heavy raging Nina. Leaves me without any recourse but to have you all check out this for some fun. And I know this has nothing to do with whats here today but we just have to have some fun on this cold Monday morning

When the band Still on the Hill came to town I got to play the guitar for awhile. One of those special moments of my life. The bridge is an old pork chop bone

http://www.stillonthehill.com/pictures/edstilley/index.html

I want to live in the mountains just like Ed Stilley. By the way it's Arkansas hill people you are looking at

Go on now have some fun and check it out as well as the band Still on the hill and my good friends Kelly and Donna. (the most beautiful people)

Do I her an Amen brothers and sisters

Scrap

Anonymous said...

amen,turey scraps and everyone

....neil

Charles Hugh Smith said...

Amen, brothers and sisters, always good to play some guitar....

There is a lot of rage around now, mostly honest. We need honest emotions. We all have to go through some version of denial, anger, blame, cutting a deal with God to save us and acceptance. I notice people are very jumpy at stop signs nowadays, ready to drag race over pedestrians and cyclists. Lots of anxiety playing out, we all know the feeling--get me out of here!

Today I was called a "phony intellectual" by a Zero Hedge reader. Isn't that a redundancy?
:-) It's good not to take the slings and arrows we all get in the back too seriously--not to mention the flat tires and indignities.

Nina, I'd like to pour you a glass of vino and thank you for your art.

su said...

ah scrap, the hill calls - with its bounty.

pangolin - burdock, only have in powdered form, use it in the liver formula. but seeds might just find their way here.
talking about seeds and rage and nina saying if one rages too loudly one will be locked up - - -
well.....
i don't collect anything.
if anything i am a fanatical clearer.
no sentimentality just an abhorrence of 'unused suff".
but for several years i have collected the seeds of a certain weed -
thousands of them.
all the police stations in the region have had a generous sprinkling on their lawns - like a very generous sprinkling.
the rains do the rest.

also heavily deposited them in the monsanto yard in the nearest town as well as the chemical yards.
the kids joined me and i must say the rage was suspended for a short while.

it is a strange phase - on the one hand there is a depth of stillness of being and on the surface the waters are being churned to breaking speed.

breathing in....breathing out....
neil - good to hear your world is softening.

nina said...

Ah, so you are going activist, Desmond. You have chosen a good outlet. I like the balance. Yin and Yang.

nina said...

Same crash, unable to get back on, last night after only one comment!
Thank you Charles, I will have that glass of vino.

nina said...

The hills or jamdown, the hills or jamdown... both sound blissful. Heh, we all know the answer to that one. Nowhere is perfect, but some places less problematic than others, or merely lagging, soon to catch up.

Anonymous said...

to share with all a great new site.
www.hollowtop.com

Scrap

nina said...

How Cholera came to Haiti on Counterpunch.

Anonymous said...

On the beach and in the hills of Jamdown. Still need a Tax Compliance Number to do certain things.

Barter'R'Us is one route out of the numbers beast.

Come visit. My host has $40/night rooms, we share food. Tent life not ready yet.

turey.

Anonymous said...

Cutting edge ongoing consciousness raising events going in the U.K. There is no food on the shelves and no gas for the cars.

chickory said...

i am finally well enough to read and comprehend a nina post. i had to laugh at the pre-packaged pajamas...dear God what more could be said to a loved one than i did not even bother to make this personal in some way. handmade takes a long time, but the effort shows (i think) respect for the recipient. by using everyday materials to commentary on labor as gift is made.

i wore my protest tshirt to the airport. It had an upside down flag and the words Training Submissive Americans with the TSA much larger. on the back i had some other choice words including one from bob marley: get up Stand up.

what a pitiful lot we are. im not too hopeful that we can subvert this juggernaut of willful ignorance and complacency. the Sith know that keep the peeps fat and happy and sated with pre-wrapped pajamas lets them steal the booty and leave us with worthless paper and plastic. lots and lots of plastic.


you dont know how often i tell myself to

feel no way

was that from Turey?


check your mail.

chickory said...

the dog in the snow! its wonderful. its quiet just like it would be in the real. you always do the coolest points of view. i should learn from that. I have a tendency toward straight forward wide angle or macro.

Anonymous said...

the shirt

nina said...

Oh you naughty girl. Heh. Get Sarah Palin outta the way, I'm voting for you.

Did you get any reactions? You are lucky you were not sent off to Siberia. It must be the blonde hair.

The trick about perspective is capturing the mundane. "The art of the everyday small joys that make life worth the trouble" kind of thing. You could do this perfectly with Koby's First Snow. Still, In the Night Garden remains at the very top of my favorite works. I realize it is a phase, one of so many past and to come, but you balanced love and innocence in a way most don't. I think it was how you saw the moment, it was in the way you think.

An interesting detail, that was Jake's first snow as well. I titled it exactly that and changed it later on.

chickory said...

im already in siberia. its called a landscape filled with wal-mart.

seriously. i am the perfect person to make a stink. i dont have a job to lose, no children to embarrass and no real wealth to risk. I am considering putting chickory in my nieces name so i can go ahead and stand up to some schizz. it is time, long past time, to get uppity on this police state absurdity. i loved that scene from the news where the pissed students in the UK shouted "off with their heads" at the weakling charles and his hag camilla. finally!

at the airport there were three radiation stalls but they were cordoned off. so it was just the regular metal detector. a few people gave me the high five and a i had a few good conversations. but the typical response was the woman who studied the sentiments expressed and then looked up at me and frowned. i gave her a wink and air kissed at her. she looked away quickly. LOL!!!

most people are so stressed and wigged out they didnt even notice. which is just how TPTB's like it.

i burned the iron on a bit so it didnt look as nice as i wanted. next time i am screen printing.

Zoner said...

LOVE the shirt.

Z

nina said...

chickory, I walked in with the envelope and the fireteacher ripped it out of my hands he was so excited. He loves your work. Me, I am deeply honored, touched, pleased, admiring your craftsmanship and humor. Already hung it over the fireplace, looks wonderful. Photo coming.

Let's see what happens when I show him the shirt. Heh.

Feel no way is a general Caribbean saying which is SO appropriate, one of those phrases that stick for life.

Its Siberian here today, wet, mushy, heavy fog, snow by darkness. AGHHHH

Dearest Z, I hope you have recovered from your weather beating.

Love to all, nina
I'll put up something new soon, promise.

Anonymous said...

Your cold just reached us. Good thing I brought some fleece.

"Mi nuh feel nuh way", is often a prelude to: "Bwayy, I man feel a-way!!!".

Peace and Love, turey.

'aversou'. As in beg you a smalls nuh? French style.

nina said...

Merci Spah, my explanation needed a little local color. PS: Are you making any wine for the holidays?

>onelove<

Anonymous said...

Hmm, sea grape wine! Next year, with a little help from my friends.

t.

Burnie said...

Is this world dead..fuck no. Just being temporarily rearranged into a physical and spiritual wasteland by those who, for thousands of years have fooled the fools into doing their bidding in life and death. Am I mad..hell yes, am I raging? yea.

When you are a kid and get beaten it doesn't just go away, you just learn to deal with it. I could have turned into the lone gunman in some Midwestern drugstore chain but I didn't.

I turned into what you see on my blog, good bad, or indifferent. I walk away from these fucks and yea we are surrounded but the game is being played at a different level. They may kill me and you but we go out successful as human beings in the best sense of the word. Fuck the beasts in this world, I've known them all my life, I am very well acquainted thank you very much. I choose those like all of you who have some sense of humanity.
We are wounded gravely yet I know very deeply there is an existence of such beauty it would steal your breath, I have seen some of it.

You are right Nina, whatever I do my children come first along with my friends. What else is there if not that.

If I sound like pollyanna you would be mistaken, I am a warrior doing battle in disguise of art. After all it is better than a bullet.
Best to all of you
Burnie
Thanks for the link scrap...listening now

nina said...

New post up:
the gift that keeps on giving