D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Thursday, June 17, 2010

drifting into darkness

Rarely, if ever, have we been more weirded out than by the circus tents and fireworks encircling the...BP and Barry Show. I agree it hangs out foremost in your mind, or at least brings you back to reality if you happened to wander. It is like a Ferris Wheel lurching to a stop as it leaves you rocking in the wind waving a little prize flag while allowing new passengers aboard. A play with many acts in which the curtain comes down between them. Of course, the curtain is gilded and patterned in a Cajun wildlife theme as it exists at this moment. Do you look? You should look. There but for the grace of God go you or I.

While you look, also look at this, just to get a good feel for what is happening.

It is unfortunate that this was entirely predictable, there is nothing quite like being in a disaster that makes it crystal clear your fate is in your own hands, or webbed feet or fins. I know you've been keeping up, it is riveting I'll admit, you can't keep away from it, but when it isn't there, you want it to be. One of the strangest aspects of media handling is the business as usual selection of reports. A general observation calculation would be 10% GOM/BP-OB/Offshore Drilling compared to 90% Treasure in Afghanistan/cellphone wars/female Viagra/Candidate Greene/Miley Cyrus and the Family Values coffee klatchers, etc. What does this say? It says a large part of the media audience is okay with that. Excuse me? Where have you been in the last 10 years? They are as okay with that as they are with laughing at late night comedians delivering one liners concerning the very Cataclysmic Catastrophe taking place in which there is no humor. None. Honestly. "Life goes on" according the cable/dish satellites mostly consisting of twenty-four hour a day, seven days a week, season upon season, sales pitches for something jammed together, shipped here and piled in pyramids of materials distributed to our TBTF variety of branded job lots.

This catastrophe won't be any once in a lifetime catastrophe. Without a total reversal of present policy, we have the extraordinary potential to become another Nigeria, we've been well on our way for some time now, you might not have seen it if you travel only inland. Perhaps eventually there will be pristine [gentrified] places with exorbitant admission policies and the remainder tarry shores and dead zones. Or, perhaps everybody will start migrating inland, there are plenty of vacancies. Multiply exponentially all that you are seeing today by ten years with nothing able to reign it in. Infinite collapse, inside the cyclone of this moment, the days before and days to come, not a pretty picture.

Pardon me, but I am feeling very negative about the crisis having any resolution. The situation at hand appears to be expanding in the usual variety of blunders we've come to recognize is hallmark of our supposed plumbers and cleanup/crisis management crews since the evening of April 20, 2010. This feeling is impacted by the continuance, rather, full throttle escalation of our teetering foreign policies furthering certain previously imagined paranoias in which our worst fears are gradually realized into concrete reality. I wrote in a past post something about I'd love to be wrong, as it becomes increasing clear we were right. You may now remove any and all ideas about anything being a delusional hologram.the paragraph below is all too typical of the wanton waste observed in our careless, dangerous species:

"As you can see in the pictures," said the text of the email, "plastic bags containing snare boom were recklessly placed without consideration for the natural wildlife" on Queen Bess Island where the Plaquemines Parish Inland Waterways Strike Force recently discovered broken eggs and crushed chicks of the precious Brown Pelicans.

"They (the Brown Pelicans) already have the oil affecting their population during their reproduction time. Now we have the so-called clean-up crews stomping eggs,” said Nungesser. “The lack of urgency and general disregard for Louisiana’s wetlands and wildlife is enough to make you sick.”

The above text perceives our situation as a one time, local issue as if a different leader and all the other deepwater drillers will never, ever suffer this problem when the exact opposite is true. Let's say theoretically, being that the damage in the Gulf is somewhere in the mile deep well casing beneath the seabed rendering it impossible to repair, such impossibility leads the reckless and inconsiderate to do anything they think necessary to come out of this mess looking good. They can't of course, we're way past that, but desperate people in desperate situations are too often given to desperate measures, the most desperate is this godawful nuke option which like martial law, lies on the table, eyed by some itchy fingers, awaiting deployment. If you think its bad now, should any other solution evade them, as appears to be emerging, we'll see worse. And worse after that and then again. You see, once the most tragic of steps are taken, the barn door is open for anyone else, anywhere to emulate the action. If the superpower does it, well, hey, it must be okay, right?

As we review the past decade, oh, go further back because they have known what we are seeing today for over half a century, ask yourself what is the real policy? Oil and water. Everything else be damned. Thus, everything else was indeed damned.

20 comments:

Burnie said...

I cannot read the post right now, busy..but I wanted to say how much I like the Art, thanks Nina, that one thing means something beautiful resides in you. Believe dat sez da preacher.

nina said...

Thanks Burnie. Its one I never got a lot of feedback on, so your words are very helpful and appreciated.

Anonymous said...

nina if I was extremely rich important super clever and famous,I would invite you to be my personal artist and you could bring your little wood working community that you magnetised,we could travel the world drawing painting and doing various wood working projects discussing paint colors and beautiful things.will write a poem tommorrow...neil

Charles Hugh Smith said...

Neil, I wish you were as wealthy as the parasites at Goldman Sachs--what a great idea to hire Nina as personal artist and bon vivant.

word verify: boost, as in, I need one badly right now....

Light Keeper said...

Nina, Thank you for your post and the articles linked. I find some solace in knowing someone else cares and recognizes this cataclysmic catastrophe for what it is.

There is a Coast to Coast interview with Rev. Lindsey Williams, who you may know has connections to the oil industry from his work as chaplain for ARCO in Alaska. Lindsey obtained information from his inside sources, confirmed through multiple senior execs at BP. What he revealed that is being kept from the public is further supported by the lack of response/solutions being provided by Govt/BP. It's very grim and incredibly vile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buB6e1EP-8s&feature=related

I've followed Lindsey Williams for over 2 years and have found him accurate in the info he's been able to obtain from elites within the oil industry. Most of his info is provided in the first 4 parts of the interview before they go to call ins, watching 8 parts is long. I was very troubled by the inability of both the interviewer and the callers to respond to the horrifying information Lindsey shared. It seems from both what I glean from the net, as well as personal discussions, that the majority of people can not conceive of the magnitude of what is happening.

I posted a short synopsis on my blog. http://manofestingutopia.blogspot.com

Thank you for sharing your art and your insight on your blog.

chickory said...

i only thought i had my head spun around when i witnessed the grand theft bailout but the gulf of mexico is the dagger to the heart of all time. its a state of being ive never experienced before - true alert buzzing horror and it is unrelenting. no where to run.

i heard the interview with lindsay williams today. it was good. but yeah, i dont think people recognize there is no getting back from this.

and the dispersants! making it worse and they keep doing it. and you see people on the beach scooping up little balls -as if! so tragic it is intolerable to witness.


thank you for this post. you certainly have it right. ive seen those golden hills of california. they are stark and lovely as is this painting.

Jacob Gittes said...

These are times to try the soul of man. The sky tonight, midwestern storms with that yellow-gray look that accompanies tornadoes. It seemed to be saying something: the storm is coming, so concentrate on that which is most important: your personal relationships to man and your natural world, locally. Do right be them and it.
Your art is magnificent, Nina.
I am also the proud curator of a work by Chickory, now. My wife and kid love it, too...

One starts to understand how people went on with life during great wars and genocides... you just have to keep living some kind of life, or perhaps even for the first time realize what life is and could be.

It's laughable that BP and the Feds have tried to keep people from the affected beaches, and keep planes from getting too close... they can't make the entire ocean a no-fly and no-go zone. Moronic bureaucrats, the evil that Kafka so eloquently portrayed. But they're going so far that they themselves will be swallowed in their own absurdities.

nina said...

Day before yesterday the Firekeeper called from the jobsite where a young Basset had taken up residence sticking mostly around my friend. "How abouta Basset?" Needless to say, but I'll say it, love is bittersweet with memories and impossible longings, but Burnie Basset, cuddler, has changed all that.
Photo atop right column. Definitely he had a bum scene before he hooked up with the chippy. He doesn't know toys, treats or play and requires house training. In 2 and a half days, that's changing too, at lightening speed. He's a hound, low to the ground, goes where the nose takes him and like Louie Louis, RIP, sleeps on the bed nestled right next to me. Thank you most merciful God.

Burnie said...

I'm a happy dog, I promise I won't eat anymore shoes, and when you take me to your friends house I won't the couch again. come on gimme a chance I'll show yehs.

Chicory, I don't know how to express that thought but you said it.

A party of music, art, woodworking,plant planting wide awake human beings in the best sense of the word. Next week I win the big one, plan the party hee hee.

Thanks all for the up, in all this one, it seems, must look for its opposite, and I find some of that here. It's really something that amazes me. You find people you might never see, don't necessarily know geographic location, age, and it doesn't really matter, we mesh in the ozone........I get comfort.
And the truth of the matter is we are legion, one little cell here, one over there, a little bit of this a little bit of that. we are everywhere (drum roll-clowns enter stage left). Signing off, laughing
Burnie

Light Keeper said...

Nina, How wonderful for both you and Bernie to have been brought together. I adopted a dear Basset-Corgi mix, Jack, who had been badly abused. He was so scared at first, then on the third day as I was reading in bed, he came close, smiled and looked up at me with such deep love,amazement, and gratitude, I'll never forget that moment. He was a true gift to my life. It touches my heart to hear you describe Bernie in the same way. Much mutual joy to you both!

Burnie, I appreciate your comment
"...and I find some of that here. It's really something that amazes me. You find people you might never see, don't necessarily know geographic location, age, and it doesn't really matter, we mesh in the ozone........I get comfort."

I too get comfort from recognizing that there really are others who share vision and heart. I don't know any of you, and you don't know me, but I so appreciate that you're out there. Your comment, and Nina, reading what you share here, inspired what I posted for today. So thank you!
- Helen

nina said...

These are among some the best comments we've had yet, eh? Heartfelt emotions AND information sharing.

Publius, which work of chickory's is gracing your household? I'm torn between Palm Sunday and In the Night Garden. I like them better than my own work. Seriously, she paints magic.

First thing today I tuned into an AP story (can't reprint those, they charge for the honor) that the artery called Macondo contain 40% methane compared to 5% typically found in the other veins. Everyone, the environmentalists, the saints, the perps and feds, don't know what happens at that percentage but definitely keeps the oil under the water. This is a breaking new and deeply ominous concern. Small sea creatures inhabit the sea floor and eat the oil and methane using up oxygen to digest which is how dead zones are made. A noted researcher and scholar discovering this phenomena, stated it is the most bizarre-looking oxygen profile she'd ever seen anywhere.

What, has Satan been unleashed?

Anonymous said...

Yes Nina Satan has been released but he started peaking in on us long ago. Sorry to be so negative but we are going down and it is happening faster then any of us can imagine.

I think "People are scared to empty their minds
fearing that they will be engulfed by the void.

What they don’t realize is that
their own mind is the void".
Huang Po

Scrap Wood

nina said...

Welcome back Scrappy. Sorry the situation you left while making chairs in NC is still here. Did you take photos? If yes, please share, we need the up - real bad. We have many more readers than commenters, so you will bring that "up" to hundreds more people than you know and I am quite sure they need it equally as much as we do.

Helen, thank you for casting your lot with us. Good choice if I say so myself. Is it a coincidence we have Burnie and Jack in common, no it is a synchronicity. The prayer you posted on Smoking Mirrors means a great deal to many of us, originally brought to my attention by Su in South Africa! It is only right and good you spoke up. I'm always amazed at who shows up and how we needed their input at the very time the decision to say something took place. This happens enough that it must be a truth as visible says it, which is we are all making this journey together as we were together making journeys throughout the past. A timeless tribe, infinitely regrouping one might say...

nina said...

One starts to understand how people went on with life during great wars and genocides... you just have to keep living some kind of life, or perhaps even for the first time realize what life is and could be.

Perfectly stated Publius. I well recall you and I are the Distant Mirror fans.

nina said...

i dont think people recognize there is no getting back from this.
and the dispersants! making it worse and they keep doing it.


And today, chickory, with the "most bizarre-looking oxygen profile" hitting everyone's welcome screens, that profile can only be interpreted as full-on lethal in combination with Corexit. Sounds like the ultimate WMD.
There is no limit to the ways the Earth can be destroyed, thoughtlessness, greed, a careless combination of componding errors, denial, secrecy, deadly plots within plots, ignorance, vanity, covetousness, social and physical plague...
A line from King Henry VIII: "The devil appears in many forms, but it is always the devil."
----------------------------------
Thank you God for the ability to see beauty where it exists and the skills to share it with others.

nina said...

Charles and ..neil.., I'm ready. I've ALWAYS been ready. That's the job I should have had, maybe have had and might have had except this particular time around was needed to handle another important assignment, that of giving a loving home to our animals and bringing one child into this world equipped not just with all the tools necessary for survival but the gift of extraordinary compassion. Heh, but next time ...

Anonymous said...

round the sacred heart
sitting by the fire
warming up our hands
running thoughts inspire
flow into the air
of the atmosphere within
stirring up that goodness
from where all things spring
sent into the sky
by the forces of the light
the living burning goodness
of loving that is right
cares for all the animals
the rivers and the seas
with love for all things
rustles through the trees
spirit of care taker
flows through all of us
refines our natural qualities
with the medicine of love.


..peace..

mczilla said...

The Big Drama has been unfolding (at least) ever since Columbus hit the beach, and no many how wrong turns "we" make or unskillful enterprises undertake, after the initial shock everyone somehow manages to go right back to sleep, and it all keeps rollin' along. And then the Universe jams another stick in our spokes.

Seems as though Mother Earth is shaking like a dog just out of the river - something is going to finally fly off. If you haven't already begun, now would be a good time to start working on the inner pole-shift. That will be the one that counts.

Peace & Blessings on us all.

nina said...

The following, found on Ran's blog, is all too applicable to a very wide variety of situations, but basically its a perfect recipe for perpetuating a sick system in which the sick can't heal without some magical intervention.
How to keep someone with you forever

If you lose the link, its in the Free Never Overdue Library (left column, homepage) now.

bholanath said...

Gulf Emergency Summit being LIVE CAST now:
http://mobilebroadcastnews.com/MBN/blog/Emergency-Summit-Gulf-Spill-Crisis-LIVE-CAST