D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Studio 54 closed

Just when I was going to post about how useless internet surfing is, Charles happened to post about a website he's found where they are apparently horridly honest. I haven't visited yet, the day is young. However, just knowing about it means we're saved again. Saved from throwing our laptops into the fireplace or the dumpster, whichever is handiest. We can go on posting for a few more days until the big questions return. And questionable it is my friends, don't scoff too quickly.

We've been over this many times, even now it glares from my archives. Before actually getting out of bed this morning, it came to me in predawn, post dream clarity that Visible is right, it is all in our minds. This world, this life, we've dreamed and created and maintain as if we are clubbing at Studio 54. Today, we are in these places, tonight, other places, tomorrow, who knows? And yet, deep down, under the gloss, we know something is wrong, something doesn't make sense. What do we do when something in life does not make sense? Like all good western citizens, we ignore it and continue to do what we always do, confident it will eventually make sense. This method of dealing with a created reality is built into the fabric of our very lives.

This is how our nations handle everything. You can read four headlines on your welcome pages, each one contradicting the next. House prices are up. House prices are down. Employment is up, unemployment is skyrocketing. Recession over. Crisis worsening, we're in the eye of the hurricane between subprime and ARM, or is it CRE today?

Now you ask, is this making any sense? No. Do addictions make sense? No, again. We'd like to know the point, but the point is loathe to be acknowledged. We don't want to kill off our species, so we ignore our overpopulation crisis and the accompanying rise of overmarketing and overwarring, all which denies our prolife vision, a vision not from any religious beliefs or desire for financial gain, but simply from the natural right to life entitled all species. We live, therefore others too must live. There is no secret to the equality of life. That is not an ideology, it is sensory knowledge, Life IS sacred because we live.

All that is wrong, that down deep under the gloss wrong, is wrong because it was never right on a small scale. On a larger scale growing larger, the monster is untouchable. We are doomed because we ignore it. But ignore it we will because this is how we handle everything. I wouldn't exactly call our situation western procrastination as much as a circular void of solution where everything positive is countered by a negative. When a one-fits-all answer is not available, we do nothing. Scanning over the past decade, we have done nothing. We have taken cover online and the issues we discuss worsen. What happens when there is no more web? You don't really know yet, do you. Trust in the way our planet has rotated lately and that will give you some vague idea.

Never again will we have normalcy because what appeared as normal was just another phase of the dream that twists and turns incessantly as dreams will. Glancing at what we know of the other regions on our planet, many have never known what we think of as normal. Western civilization might as well be on another planet for all the lack of similarity in thought and lifestyle. But westerners time for domination is over. Every day our schizophrenia is more apparent along with citizens' Alzheimer's. We go back and forth while going nowhere.

I discovered a used bookstore a while back and purchased a college literature anthology for a dollar. Pre-owned literature is castaway cheap I thought, leafing through tissue thin pages packed with the meaning of life from hundreds of articulate voices, many still living. There I found redemption, a confirmation in print we've always known truth, but choose to ignore it. In this most recent go-around, we blew it with religion. We sent out missionaries to denigrate all not living in our western imperialistic shadow and stole their free will while deifying the corrupt and the mundane. In a nutshell, it is the hijacking of free will that is the bitter root of our destruction. Our worst failing was an abject failure to see all living species as One naturally occurring and naturally maintaining gift born from Mother Earth, perfectly balanced in the Universe to exist and flow with all heavenly bodies and we blew it big time.

The debate today is not whether we will escape judgment day, but will there be another go-around? My vote goes into the yes basket, but next time humans will be left out of the mix. The part of the plan allowing guardians for the species didn't work. The deified corrupt and mundane thought they were capable of more. The citizens don't get along, they overpopulate and steal free will from everyone and everything else. They lie to hide their agenda until it can no longer be hidden. They've become confused and unnecessary, rampaging though the rotten fruits of their labor, trampling the sacred, valuing nothing, having lost all sense of purpose.

After the slate is wiped clean, perhaps archaeologists of the future, if they exist, will uncover our used literary anthologies and see where we went wrong. Inshalla, God willing, they do not ignore our mistake.

William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)

THE SECOND COMING

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

47 comments:

baz recon said...

the world's a fucked-up place. If you're not 4 change, then what are you for?

It isn't really betrayal, when you never actually believed them in the 1st place. Nor, they actually meant it. Get some balls, and start resisting the bastards—for Chrizakes. But hey, preaching 2 the choir for anyone doin' time—as they say in Afghanistan: “You [amerikcan'ts] may wear the time, but we have the time.” Archipelago—Sector 1; i.e. american gulag—Designated: 3rd-world country—51

If someone has thought of it, then it is reality ... for them, and everyone else ... whether they like it, or not! EVERYONE.

*********************************************
and all the lousy little poets running around trying so hard to sound like Charlie Manson.

So, maybe they're better!

*********************************************
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, just don't get too distracted on the hope and waste valuable doom-time—hahaha

nina said...

A great comment, Baz. Thanks. Doom without the hysterics. The hour grows late...

Vword: backer, ok, I'll back that.

Charles Hugh Smith said...

Love the Yeats--he must have written it for our time--but I guess the 20th century saw plenty of the same....

Cool photo of an F6F Hellcat...where did you obtain that?

nina said...

My brother has a scanner and every once in a while he gets into scanning as recreation. I just eat this stuff up. I'm so glad you like it! Indeed, it is a Hellcat.

The Yeats I am pretty sure I've stolen from Visible. It fit the bill for Achebe's masterpiece and our times, as you note.

I want you to know the last essay I put up had nothing to do with you at all. You must have already known that. You are always courteous and respond to your readers with great compassion and enthusiasm. It makes a world of difference. Thanks Charles. I just wanted to say this to you publicly for the record.

Anonymous said...

Courtesy, Compassion and Enthusiasm.

Common Sense pretty much covers the rest needed for the healing of the Nations. Seems great majority of said Nations see no need for healing as Y'All point out.

Yea we created the FU. The Clean Up Crew is getting itself together to redesign if it's not BAR or rebuild using the leftovers if SHTF. If END comes, ain't nothing to be done but pray, scream or confess.

If you see my glass half empty, kindly give me a half full one and a good slap!

Meantime....turey.

nina said...

Excuse me if I am wrong turey, but it appears you fill your own glass. No slaps or external fillups required. I don't say that to just anyone.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nina.

So easy to forget it's inside to out and not the other way. The vice of co-dependence is always ready to displace co-evolution.

Just spoke to a struggling musical Ras in 'town'. In the midst of scare-city, politrics and ginnalship, he is patiently perfecting his voice and guitar fingering and keeping vampires of the roots sounds at bay. Inside out. His voice encouraged me who is a short walk from all one needs and a lot of what many want.

turey.

'sketti' The next dance hall step.

nina said...

Sketti? I wonder if its not all deritive of Ska, we skank and then we sketti ...

Pangolin said...

Ah, the self-filling glass of happiness and personal contentment. Where exactly do I buy one? All I can find are the cheap chinese knock-offs that are as close to real happiness as an the happy white powders will ever get you; which is always farther away. We drive and drive but the mountain gets smaller. Got my map at the gas station free with the fill up.

Shit happens to good people that is beyond their ability to control. Grinning like an idiot when the shit is flying just gets it on your teeth. Job was tormented because God was running a side bet with his sidekick Satan and while Job got rewarded all of his relatives still were shafted while good ol Yahweh ran a con on Job.

There is a time to sandbag at the river bank and a time to run for the ark. If they start shaving your head; pull down the temple.

I'm hearing the clippers buzzing.

v'word: subleti? not I.

nina said...

Pangolin, you've got Albino! tonight and dance church tomorrow, fill up. Take a straw, take some shipping barrels, hey, hook up a pipeline.

Anonymous said...

Dat heartbeat rhythm goes waaaay back Sistrin.

.....Kumina, Nyabinghi, Ska....

The heart longs to dance.

When di riddim lick out, even di screw face dem waan fi boogie.

The glass is priceless yet free.

The container of Spirit.

Later will be greater, or not.

turey.

Pangolin said...

Well, I'll dance while the music's playing. When I walk home alone at least I had that moment. Holding it is another matter.

Sometimes I wish I could hand my pain off like a shirt to all those that preach Jah-love and watch to see how long they keep praising. Days come and go when the best I do is to not chase down The Reaper and beg for a ride home on his white horse.

It's a beautiful world but there's no love for me here. Enjoy it while you've got it because the 'screw face' knows loss better than you. He has only muddy water to drink while you have the warm river to swim in. Yet he persists and you may need him to teach you how some day.

"And the politicians throwing stones
So the kids they dance they shake their bones
Cause its all too clear we're on our own
Sing ashes to ashes, all fall down
Ashes to ashes, all fall down "- Grateful Dead

Nina_Albino! is four hours south of me but there's a local show I'm checking out. Lucky to have Dance Church here and I'll be glad of it tomorrow.

v'word: ethsop

Anonymous said...

Ahh Pangolin, I drank muddy water for many decades and my face knows screw till it won't turn no more. No one forced me, I thought that's all there was.

Preaching Jah love sounds like a dry task. Unless it's real. Only the speaker knows.

Don't wait for no band to play, the music is in all of us. Waiting.

turey.

'mo-lutc' And more luck to you too.

Anonymous said...

I think Rosie Ledet is the reincarnation of Jeanne Duval, Charles Baudelaire's quadroon mistress. His "black Venus." You read his private letters to her and there is nothing else, it is intense love........ he just loved her so much he could eat her....

Anonymous said...

When I was 15, centuries ago, my mother and stepfather packed me off for France to get rid of me, etc.
That was 1972. They wanted me to learn another language apparently. I had an allowance and went into this bookstore in Paris and the hippiechick working there turned me onto Baudelaire's "Les Fleurs du Mal" and his "Les Paradis Artificiels". and a French translation of Thomas De Quencey's "Confesssions of an Opium Eater." Life was never the same anymore! The drugs fell into place, etc.
Sometimes, I wish that had never happened, because it resulted in the past 40 years being drug soaked, with wrecked marriages etc.
But Im probably older and wiser than Charles Baudelaire now, so I always burn incense to him.... he was the real dude.

nina said...

I post about the way out all the time, apparently some of us are not paying attention because we are so busy seeing ourselves as the only one going through whatever it is we are going through. The answer is surrender, gratitude for being here at all, awe in the prism of experience, giving and doing something to help someone else.

Pangolin said...

I woke with the impression that life is like a steeplechase and we are ridden by the uncaring and incompetent. If you're not balking at the jumps you simply aren't paying attention to what's happening around you. We're all supposed to believe that the jump that we just saw some other sucker fail and break a leg on is perfectly fine for US to go over blind.

It doesn't matter to our masters; there are 6 billion of us in the stable and no lack of horse doctors to silence the screaming dog food when we break. So we shake off the jump and maybe even the rider but the grassy field is a distant memory and they don't let you out of the ring.

Metaphor.

If you haven't been clinically depressed lately you simply aren't paying attention. Love and trust are all to quickly replaced by fear and aggression when the pain starts coming in randomly.

I want to believe in the good; but i'm still limping from the last jump. And I'm gonna kill that fucker with the quirt if I can find him...... off to dance my pain away.

Ashes to ashes.

v'word: amuyhy

Jacob Gittes said...

Totally off the subject - I have some excerpts from an amazing out-of-print book for y'all later today, hopefully. Amazing 2-tone prints in the book, too. Details later. Pangolin - if you ever visit the great white north, I'll take you to the local pub where Zoner and I go sometime. Great music- lots of group hootenannies, up-and-coming artists, and kilt-wearing eccentrics.
Anyone know about boats? One of my dreams is to live with my family on the river, in a houseboat. I know I know lots of issues: currents, rising and falling waters. But no property taxes! No landlord! You don't have to pack your stuff in boxes to escape a bad situation. Just weigh anchor. Is this one a good deal? Any boat fanatics here?

Where is Zoner, by the way?
Any Bergman fans here? I'm on a Bergman kick. Scenes from a Marriage was good. Talk about a mixture of love and hate, desire and ambivalence, pleasure and pain. Great therapy.
Strange vibes in the air today. Gotta get outside and see for myself.

nina said...

Did you ever think about changing the order of the metaphor? That the steeple chase is a metaphor for life? That life is overarching and everything else is subtext?
I'm sure you have.

In the big ledger of life, there only appears to be an imbalance of bad. The "bad" column takes up a lot more space than the good. But, good carries far more weight than bad. We could think of this with gold and paper currencies balancing on scales, good has more longevity even though good is smaller. Good is packed with nutrients, the bad is just an airless string of false desires amounting to nothing.

Its much easier to be pissed off and hurt than it is to surrender. But if you can surrender, it is much easier to breathe.

nina said...

Hi Publius! Your enthusiasm is inspiring. The power of good literature is healing, it takes us out of common thought into a higher plane of unity. I'll look at your houseboat, I was going to do this a few years ago until I came up against zoning laws meaning I would have had to spend untold amounts of dough on tugboats to move the thing into a compliant mooring - and then there was still no guarantee of any long term safe harbor.

nina said...

Publius, doesn't it make you wonder why its priced so low? Why is this owner willing to dump it so cheaply if its so great? You'd better check out the zoning laws and what it will cost to rebuild the fuel system.

Pangolin said...

That's the kicker Nina. Surrender to what? Will somebody please accept my surrender? Preferably an attractive female under 45 years of age. Ok, a plain female under 47. Any bored person with lots of garden space, a spare room and hates to cook? A big garage? I'll clean up after your dogs. I like goats. (ok, I don't hate goats but that's the same thing)

No takers.

Publius_ Check out a site called Duckworks that has a lot of information about owner/builder boating. If you dig around there are discussions about inland cruising and live-aboards too. I've got the backyard Noah itch but I'd hold out for a motor-cruiser with an inboard diesel and a sail. Fuel is never cheap for boats and it's going to go up. A diesel will eat anything almost.

Lot's of abandoned boats in Florida I hear, free or as good as. Google it up(boat auctions). The first thing people quit paying are their boat payments and dock fees when they're in trouble.

v'word:shydrog

nina said...

Pangolin, you have too many specifics tied to an idea of rescue. I am also going to mention as an aside, your desire to find a bored person is a self-fulfilling prophecy for failure.
You were being sarcastic, right?

Anonymous said...

Being single for 7 years, I sometimes consider looking for a mate. Or at least being available.

My mom just suggested I should find a 'nice girl'. I never had the heart to tell her about the scarcity of such (nice!), only that I did not need an anchor at the moment. Yes ladies, I'm sure it's similar for some of you.

My daughters have declared that they would have to test said lady and she would have to be older than my eldest (32).

So: Divorced. Tall dark and handsome? I keep my Precepts. 60. Good cook. 3 kids. Talk to animals and some humans. Bun collie and nuh nyam deders. Stubborn and opinionated and move on the spur of the moment.

One never knows.

Us and another family discussed buying a cruising vessel with diesel (yes Pango), sailing/motoring, teaching our kids and trading antiques and art. Time passed, never happened.

A Russian friend had the line on some military ocean going tugboats with all parts and a workshop. We could have got an old Soviet sea salt with it too at a reasonable price.

Later, turey.

'rathump'. The rass thump I asked Nina to give me if my focus waned :-)

Pangolin said...

Nina_I would file that under self-mocking. I have no need of a prophecy of failure as it would come late. I wrote more on this theme and decided to spare the room. I don't grok 'surrender.' Rescue is last weeks lottery ticket.

Turey_ You sound like you'd make a great captain. My ideal for sailing away from it all involves something looking like this, along with appropriate cannon, parrots, multi-ethnic crew and false bulkheads. (plus soap, toothbrushes and a dental plan ;) If you're going to fantasize why not go whole hog? More fun.

For all it's fantasy appearance the Junk-rigged boat is proven to be operable by a small, family, crew and was the foundation of Asian coastal trade for centuries. While we're recommending classic tales "Voyage of the Liberdade by Joshua Slocum comes to mind.

"The twilight hours, like birds, flew by, As lightly and as free ; Ten thousand stars were in the sky, Ten thousand on the sea ; For every wave with dimpled face, That leaped upon the air, Had caught a star in its embrace, And held it trembling there."-ibid

v'word: sheboo

Anonymous said...

Thamks for the Junks Pangolin. I remember seeing one in Kingston Harbour as a child.

I'm not usually moved by poetry but the images in the twilight by the sea verse did it. It brought back mid Atlantic memories of a school of dolphins during an evening watch. They whistled and chirped and I smiled back entranced. The moon was full too making it otherworldly.

Monday morning and the traffic noise builds. So many off to do their 9-5's.

That fucker with the quirt may have been an instrument in your unfolding. Ask him before you act.

Later, turey.

Jacob Gittes said...

Pangolin,
I love Slocum, and Chinese junks. I'd join your crew!
The houseboat I linked to is not my favorite boat type, at all... for a river way of life, I'd try to copy the great Harlan Hubbard, and roll my own.

This is fun group to throw ideas at. Another idea: we go north to the shores of Lake Superior, and I apprentice to one of the two or three remaining commercial fishermen up there. Make a living from the sea, and concentrate on raising my kid, playing/learning the guitar, and building canoes and boats, while observing the heavenly bodies at night (last inspired by the excerpt from Slocum I think it was).

However, every idea or plan that I come up with is embraced by my child's mother, and embroidered and expanded until its beyond our means. So I try to save, prep, learn, plan and wait! Not so bad... but want to do it before the child is an adult.

Jacob Gittes said...

Book title: The Darkness is Light Enough
Author: Dorothy Andrews
Fellowship Press, 1976, Inverness, California. Produced at the West Coast Print Center. Illustrations by Ruby Morris.


I still haven't found much of anything about the author. I know she was/is an artist.
Excerpt, chapter 5:

Do you remember when you were a child how you drenched yourself in fairy tales - those tales we loved not for their stories, but for their atmosphere? Always it was the atmosphere that was the hero. The things that happened, do you remember where? In the heart of a forest, or beside an old well, in an abandoned hut, or on a path covered with brambles, at the foot of an ancient tree, in the depths of a silent pond - only in such places did this self awake, only in secret places. In them one felt the flow of energy; roots grew beneath one's feet; below, the earth was turned and turned again by hundreds of creatures; waters flowed; in the hot liquids of the earth a smelter flamed; somewhere, perhaps in that copse, eyes were watched; sap was running through the hearts of trees; buds preparing to burst; cocoons at the very second of dehiscence - all hidden, all in the secret atmosphere.
...One forgets, one forgets too much in cities; nothing is hidden; even at night all is bared by yellow lights so shy spirits dare not appear....
When one was a child how simple it was - grasped at once. Turn a child loose in a field and watch him run till he drops, racing phantoms. Turn a child loose in a ravine where wild flowers grow and watch his face turn into a flower, metamorphosed by nothing but atmosphere.
How many creatures have we stifled by our indifference to atmosphere, so careless of it our eyes have turned blind in self-defense?
...Who has not walked with a friend down a quiet road in the night and through the stars suddenly found himself madly in love?

chickory said...

if only the falcon(s) would break away from the falconers call - "no - i dont think i will bring the booty back to you herr master - i think i will feed myself from here on out." if there is something to worry about it is the over-domestication of americans -like you said last post -lost their northern star of intuition. dear God my prayer is that i can stay in some small way -wild.

like you have said, and charles too i think, stop participating in the hologram! im getting better at it. i relapse now and then into stupid superficial concerns but i can right myself faster now. this place helps. and yeats is the kingpin of prose.

publius: thinking about scenes from a marriage -i recently stumbled onto "whos afraid of virginia woolf" - there i was jammed into the corner of the couch, clutching my neck in horror at the brutal marriage. what a masterpiece. and, a drunken liz taylor stuffed into that dress is almost as terrifying as ann margarets descent from fresh faced widow to dragon lady in "tommy". but then, these may be cautionary horrors specific to the female.

chickory said...

oh man publius! i just read that excerpt you posted. i am in full agreement and live it as much as i can. thanks so much. i copied it to my hearts hard drive.

nina said...

...Who has not walked with a friend down a quiet road in the night and through the stars suddenly found himself madly in love?

Best for our species that walk be taken in walkabout.

[... Walkabout refers to a rite of passage where male Australian Aborigines would undergo a journey during adolescence and live in the wilderness for a period as long as six months.[1] In this practice they would trace the paths, or "songlines", that their people's ceremonials ancestors took, and imitate, in a fashion, their heroic deeds. Merriam-Webster, however, defines the noun as a 1908 coinage that refers primarily to "a short period of wandering bush life engaged in by an Australian aborigine as an occasional interruption of regular work", with the only mention of "spiritual journey" coming in a usage example from a latter-day travel writer.[2] To white employers, this urge to depart without notice (and reappear just as suddenly) was seen as something inherent in the aboriginal nature, but the reasons may be more mundane: workers who wanted or needed to attend a ceremony or visit relatives did not accept employers control over such matters (especially since permission was generally hard to get).[3] ...]

Zoner said...

Accounted for, but far from present.

Sorry, but love and gratitude is all I can offer right now. Spun out is the rule of the day.

Internet surfing/posting may very well be useless. Words are the most inadequate things to convey true feeling. I can tell all of you how much I love and appreciate you, but do you believe it? Do I? I just wrote it, but can't even trust my own words.

Maybe Studio 55 will be better. Until then, it looks like an endurance contest.

Z

nina said...

Yes, Z, I know what you mean. the longer we keep this up, knowing better I might add, the more generic it becomes. Imagine that, generic friendships? It started because Vis was talking about the TV during his hotel overnight and something began clicking, something about outsourcing and imports and China, how faceless it is, and thus, we are pretty faceless here, are we not?

No doubt we speak sincerely, but then is sincerity generic now? Heh, inside the HOPE, its ah, hollow.

nina said...

BULLETIN: Admittedly, the change we've been desiring from this keyboard exercise has done little to nothing. Let's all visit Charles today
who has actually done something, something grand. I don't impress easily, but his efforts are freakin' impressive!
If you don't get there today, the permanent link will be at the bottom of his essay tomorrow. The updated work, abridged version, can be linked from my Free Never Overdue Library if you forget to bookmark it.

THANKS CHARLES! Congratulations!

nina said...

Chickory, wonderful points. I couldn't say which is better than the next, but I have this problem about our animals, too, the ones that don't have a choice are called domesticated, the ones with free will are called wild. So indeed, there are wild people and civilization is just another word for domestication, another word for war against nature and free will, coming to heel at the master's call.
And about the portrayals of women as evil, going back to Eve in Eden, did you see this? Of Abortion, and Women as the Ultimate Source of Evil

Pangolin said...

Zoner and Nina_ I must beg to disagree. The internet is the only place in my life where I ever get to have real conversations about what I think without the scripted bs that passes for polite discourse. In the real when I start talking about what I really think people seem to slowly slide away.

If you can't share the dream it always remains a dream. The first step to realizing what you want is sharing your vision. Sometimes the next step is having some stranger on the net tell you precisely why that is a stupid idea; and then listening to that criticism. Faced with criticism in public, I at least, bristle up and have trouble listening. As text from a poster with a searchable history of post/response I find it easier to look at my faults.

There is nothing generic about the writing of any of you, Nina, Zoner, Publius, Baz, Charles, Turey or whomever. Not even close. While the writing takes wild twists and turns it is, on the whole, excellent. I say this as an unrepentant bibliophile with cases and cases of books in addition to my giant bookshelves. (none of it from bestseller lists either)

Now I'm off on my internet purchased Xtracycle to get some groceries. Real action, real world enabled by the internets.

v'word: clarc, note to self: wash cape.

nina said...

Well Pangolin, that was healing, thank you. You are brilliant so I won't do any past post checks, who you are to me and us here is all that matters to be friends. I value your contributions.

Jacob Gittes said...

Pangolin, Don't forget Chickory, and Tex, and those we've lost along the way, or may find in the future!

I understand what Zoner means, I think, and why he wrote, "Internet surfing/posting may very well be useless."

Maybe it is! Maybe this is all completely useless. But then you know what, maybe the existence of the world in general is, and our lives. But I doubt that anything is truly useless, Zoner. But I understand what you mean. It FEELS useless, at times, just like getting up in the morning can feel useless... because the new day, or your Internet postings and virtual friends don't necessarily lead to anything useful. But that can, and maybe it takes time. Maybe years.

Life itself can seem to be useless, tragic, absurd, or hopeful, or poignantly beautiful. It really depends on us.

So this Internet, with its ghostly letters made of nothing more solid than electrons, is most certainly useless unless it changes us. Change happens anyway, so we might as well try to guide it to new horizons and themes and destinations.

I will admit it right here: my job stultifies me right now. I want to get out, move north (or West or South), and live on a homestead, and learn new trades (boatbuilding -well, I've done that on a small scale), and be a small craftsman, tradesman, yeoman farmer, river rat: ANYTHING except for doing the same nothing day after day, because I need the income, benefits, and stability.

And I have been working on a business, and had some success, but now the sales have tanked - I can't control the economy. Until/if the "economy" really crashes in a dramatic fashion, I am trapped. Because unlike Zoner, my wife is still in thrall to the Zombie Food Court. But tough luck for me. I can bide my time a little longer. It's not like I'm Solzhenitsyn in a Gulag in Siberia. I have it way way better than that. I have my son, my books, my guitar, a friend or two (one of whom is on his way over so I can do another useless thing - have a beer at the pub where people are playing in a hootenanny right now).

What's the right path? Panicking like a paranoid prepper and getting ready for the Zombie hordes? Continuing happy denial? Joining an Intentional Community full of people who do meditation practices? Join the Army (well, I just got too old this year to join the reserves. Oh well... no Stripes option for me!

On we sail, not knowing what harbors or storms lie over the horizon. Unless we just stay at anchor.

Sorry for the cliches. I think I'll go read Sinclair Lewis's "It Can't Happen Here" while I wait for a friend who lived under an actual dictator.

Jacob Gittes said...

Wow - after my last post, I by chance went to Joe Bageant, and started reading his latest. Clickable excerpt below. He got my life down pat!

It may be my bias, or my imagination, or my distaste for toil, but from here America looks like one big workhouse, "under God, indivisible, with time off to shit, shower and shop." A country whose citizens have been reduced to "human assets" of a vast and relentless economic machine, moving human parts oiled by commodities and kept in motion by the edict, "produce or die." Where employment and a job dominates all other aspects of life, and the loss of which spells the loss of everything.

nina said...

You better not travel because you might start seeing things that way, and then you might not come back and if you tell somebody else they might not want to come here either, unless they want to be an indentured illegal. Dhs and tsa want you to stay put fella, right here in your little sweat wheel.

Your internet analysis was very good, btw. We come back 'round to Ras turey's halfway glass.

Anonymous said...

Early morning, not a creature is stirring.

The cars are starting. Midweek, only two more days...

The smiles that form on reading here are not virtual.

No body language to show subtleties.

Internet potentiates and the times stimulate.

Even the Word Generator Prophet chimes in.....

'carin'

Care for every chance given to speak our depths and hear/feel from our companions on the journey.

Later will be greater, if we choose.

turey.

Anonymous said...

'troth'n'

Right WGP, we been truthed.

Just the thing to fill half empty glasses.

turey, still smilin'.

Anonymous said...

Spooky.....

'ja-can'

t.

Jacob Gittes said...

Definition of "gulag" from Merriam-Webster online:
: the penal system of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics consisting of a network of labor camps

So we need to come up with a term for our modern American economic system, which is similar. Replace the word "penal" above with "economic."

Nina, I've lived outside the system in relative freedom at times. Once I lived in the harbor in Victoria, BC, Canada for a few months in a sailboat moored in the harbor. I met a crazy Frenchman there, named Joseph, who had built a sailboat that he lived in with is family. The 14 year old boy was still living with them on the boat. The kid was way too advanced for his age. More on that later.

Anyway, Joseph knew that our civilization was doomed, and he was ready to sail away when it happened. He'd grown up in an orphanage, so maybe that was part of it. He introduced me to Theodore Roszak, though.

The guy was a loon, I thought, but now realize how wise he was. I just tried to look him or his boat up on Google, and unbelievably, I found his boat for sale. Looks like it sold. I wonder if he bought or built a new boat, or if he moved back to land....

The boy. One day, when my friend and I were out and about in the dingy with motor, we befriended a couple of girls... invited them aboard our ship. Well, one of the girls took a liking to me, but I wasn't really looking for romance. Then she pursued my shipmate. Then, I found her under a bush with the 14 year old... he smiled broadly, she turned beet red. I found out that about a year later, she had a baby... so it goes.

Anonymous said...

Spookier!

'm-irie'

Yes Publius, a so it go.

I was praying for such an invitation when I was 14.

Consequences be damned.

I hope the child is well.

turey.

Charles Hugh Smith said...

Random notes of catch-up:
Thank you, Nina, for the shout-out. Send me your mailing address and I will mail you a signed copy of Survival+ with appropriate words of great affection and admiration...

Publius, that was a GREAT excerpt and it made me think of Conan Doyle--yes we love Sherlock and Dr. Watson, but the atmosphere stars as per your quote...

Nina, you mention Walkabout. Did you ever see the Nicolas Roeg film by that name? A beautiful, disturbing masterpiece.

nina said...

Thanks Charles! I'll be in touch tout suite. I have not seen Walkabout, always wanted to, you are not the first to recommend it, even those who aren't exactly film saavy have said they loved it. I saw Australia a few days ago and fell right into the big cattle bellowing scenes dusting up the Outback.
It seems to me that a Walkabout is no different than what westerners do when they send their kid off to art school in Florence, or even, say, summer camp. And then we have all these bright adolescents who choose to walkabout without permission, bless them. Its not cultural, its natural.