D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Monday, October 05, 2009

notebook of a revolutionary jaded

Here we go into Winter. Again. One day it was too hot and today we're sliding down the thermometer - overnight. I am disturbed the Juncos have not shown up, I record their arrival annually and they are weeks overdue. They are my control group for Climate change. Meanwhile, the war drums are growing loud enough for silencer earphones, some sentinel warning siren grinds into the Eustachian tubes burrowing into the deep mind so we are never really settled, always on the brink of disaster somewhere, maybe here, maybe not. If you live in Nevada you would know the drone of Predators send you to sleep, wake you before sunrise, you would have seen the glazed eyes skilled in war games hanging out in the casino, feeding the paycheck into the slots as if ... as if it were all about the joystick. Do you think victims of joystick mania have any idea what is really happening when the drones start humming?

We were driving through a tight canyon sandwiched between semis when a couple of F22's took a detour overhead, low buzzing the lanes. By the time we gathered words of exclamation, they were gone. In that brief second, we were shown how fast death clears the landscape ... maybe families were gathering water, hanging laundry, an ordinary day, a vanilla sky and then nothing.

What accident of birth has us reading here today while Indonesia is swamped? Isn't this a question that has no answer? The western world demands answers for everything, flirting into WW3 where they have yet to understand some people and places will never be understood. The best we can do is observe the irony.

There are some words I detest. My grammar school principal used to close the day over a cloth-covered loudspeaker beamed into each classroom. She had a sense of humor that even 5th graders got. "Wagons Ho" meant the busses arrived. Her most hated word was Harsh. We loved her for that since everyone easily identified with a subconscious harsh reality even if we didn't understand it. My hated word is Urgent. Thus when I see the western world claim urgent action is "required" (also hated) against Iran, my skin crawls. When I see people encouraging one another into WW3, I know they really don't know, they have not been there, they are mouthing opinion without a basis in reality. They have never whispered inside a mosque in Isfahan and listened to their whisper bounce off a trillion tiny pieces of gleaming colored clay set perfectly in place centuries before a western world existed.

I read the small details in news stories, the minimized denial that what you are seeing is not what you see. You could actually read, digest and miss those details, put there for balance, "required" you might say. Those details are the sirens going off, we'd like to make it stop, it hurts, it grinds. Three months it warns and you can't blame us this time. Sounds like we'll make war for Christmas. It can and does happen just like that. Everyone remembers waking up to the nightlights, bombs bursting in air over Iraq.

By an accident of birth, winter finds us continuing our standoff with propane heat delivery, the fatted, gloating truck rolling up and down hairpin turns servicing the underemployed, out of credit, out of luck who convince themselves life is hell on Earth and there is no other way especially when the easy way stares them down. Livity asks we remove our personal survival from pipelineistan. We're ready all but for the chimney cap going into place this week. The primary woodpile is huge with extra piles scattered wherever there is room. The Fireteacher lives up to his name and I am cast in the role of carrier, all-weather assistance, snow, sleet and hail. Out comes the wheelbarrow, on comes the rain, then drizzle, then flakes fall and we are transformed into a fairytale. Today's soliloquy wraps with the last line from The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock: ... Till human voices wake us and we drown.

42 comments:

Pangolin said...

De old men dey be bangin de drums and banging de drums, de war drums dey be bangin....

We go to the old men we sez.... 'Hey, old men, what happened to de corn crop?' and de be banging dey drums, de war drums and pretends dey's don't hear us.

Den we say... 'Hey old men, we want to use dem empty huts for dem be sleeping under de open sky.' and de be banging dey drums, de war drums and pretends dey don't hear us.

Den we say.... 'Hey old men, we needs de medicine in yer lodge for dese sick children' and de be banging dey drums, de war drums and pretends dey don't hear us.

Den we looks around and sees de warriors dat listen to does old men de be gone, each one. Dey being sent across the waters to fight dem people we don't never see. Dere nobody dancing in front of dose old men banging de war drums.

Well, de story go on an on but at de end of de hol chicken fight it comes out dat de old man canna do nutting but sit dere at de drums.... while de folks goes on to break open de granary, and letting people in houses and distribute de medicine to de young and dem dat's might be working if de gets well first. None left for de ol men.

De ladyfolk, de got tired of bringing does ol men making noise food an won col night de drumming just fade away. Nobody go look either when the buzzards circle rouns and de hyenas came growling the nex night but later dat week does ol men dey was gone wen we gone to see. Nobody cried a drop.

An dat's why nobody lets an ol man near a war drum any more.

v'word: thint

chickory said...

beautifully written (yet again.)

urgency is the currency of tyranny. oh yeah! that bailout was urgent or else its a depression! we gotta bomb iran or they will bomb us! urgent! we need patriot act because al qaeda might kill you (even before our vaccines or monsanto does)

so sorry about the juncos. that hurts. i get slate colored juncos in january. i will send you one in a painting. it wont be the real thing, i know.

i have a constant internal buzz of anxiety which is what i think is my version of the sirens you are talking about. i am supposed to do a job in pittsburg on oct 22-25. and i dont want to go. i really need the money, but i am seriously thinking of backing out to the point of them saying "youll never work here again!". i do not want to travel in a silver tube of H1N1 carriers and then interact with a boat load of people during the peak of the flu. this flu mist they are giving people actually has live virus in it and can be spread by sneezing for days after they take it. am i over reacting? because my neck hair is up over this trip.

i visited the blue mosque in istanbul and saw the tiles - geometry has a frequency that imagery does not. also visited the hagia sophia. of course the HS was a cathedral when istanbul was constantinople...interesting to see the geometric islamic art fall away to reveal old christian icons. while in turkey we would visit ruins...a sacred place would be a greek temple, then roman, then christian then islamic.

i wonder what culture will build on top of our ruins.

freeacre said...

Somebody needs to pry the war drums from the old men's icy fingers, for sure.
Funny, isn't it, that just about the time that a whole bunch of people's unemployment checks will be running out that there will be a bunch of new jobs in the military available. Just in time for the Christmas shopping season. How fortuitous.
Or just think when all those disposable families living in tarped campsites start eying the abandoned, foreclosed homes this winter.. or the credit card rebels rack up a lot of food and supplies on the cards and then walk away from them.
"It was the winter of our discontent..."

Anonymous said...

To Pangolin: Credit Note. One free lesson in 'Talk Jamaican':-)

Dis ole man waan fi lik di oda drum dem. Dem dat mek di peepl dem feel Irie. Di peepl dem whe mi deh, nuh luv fi hayr dat de sown.

Nina, remember insulation.

I remember such decisions Chickory. I'll beat an "Anxiety Free Chick-o-ry" when I get a chance to 'lick drum' again. Hope the job works out. Been enjoying your gallery.

Best, turey.

VW: haritica. Her Costa Rican Ras Boyfriend?

nina said...

You three have outshined yourselves expressively and blown my mind. I am grateful. Wherever and whenever it hits, I know we'll be holding hands and knowing what happened, but will we ever know why?
Back later to speak to you individually, its the apron hour. Thanks.

nina said...

I cannot go to the stove without a word to the Rasta. Iry Ites.

Later.

chickory said...

thank you turey! i look forward to that lick drum. now that we've met, what is the deal with the air horns in reggaeton?

Anonymous said...

I had to look up reggaeton Chickory. This dinosaur tunes into Nyabhingi drumming, Hendrix and Flamenco. My kids could probably answer.

Noise seems to be part of the latest reggae versions.

Still, I'll dance all night to anything loud and lively.

VW: repper. A red eyed rapper?

nina said...

First things first, PANGO! Awesome. It sings like a hobo folksong round the twig fire cooking beans found while riding in the freight cars of the Underground Railway. Keep the beats with spoons and juice harp. I love it.

nina said...

Chickory, I'm confident the Juncos will show, but being late again this year tells me there is a temperature problem for long distance migration. Its got to be just right or some will lag behind or land in unfamiliar territory. I act like a resort hotelkeeper, readying the supplies every day and peering out the windows. They know winter here is avian friendly. I would love to see the slate variation, slate for the Smokies, right? Nature is so clever.

Make the trip, but if you have antibiotics access think about starting them at least 3 days before you travel. It might be unnecessary. Go to bed early every night and tell yourself you are perfect just as you are. Put you mind above fear mongering. Stay warm. Take your laptop if you have one and check in frequently.
The most important thing is no matter what happens, no matter what demands are made of you, remember you have it all under control, your survival, your back of the truck art sales, your animals, your crops, your blogs, your work, all is well and you are your own person.
Immunize your soul.

Pangolin said...

Turey_thanks for the 'Talk Jamaican' lesson. Unfortunately I can't translate what you wrote into 'mercan. I was attempting 'generalized bad rural english' which is spoken with variations all over the world. Believe it or not there are white California hill people that speak english so bastardized that translation is occasionally required. On the other hand I've met Jamaican's and Kenyans who speak the Queen's english better than I.

If I get your drift we call what you're talking about 'dance church' around here.

It's all fair. This fish-belly white guy then rode off after posting to practice Tai Chi by the reflecting pool to the serenade of djembe and didgiridoo played by another white guy laying down rhythm while his ladylove practiced yoga across the water.

Since I live in a town where West Africans drum for all-white African dance troupes, the Tibetan buddhist professor was a New York Jew, Farshad from Iran runs the Tai Kwon Do school and a Han Chinese teaches Capoeira it's very easy to get confused.

Californians; we'll steal your culture if you take it out of the jewel case for just a minute.

Nina_ thank you.

v'word:versis hmm, verse is? of vs.

nina said...

fa, you got it down. That's exactly how I've been seeing it too. When the troops were coming back from Iraq I blogged about what might lie ahead for them. At the time it seemed a remote possibility another war would answer their future, we thought erroneously no one could be another Bush, now we have how many home invasions ready to blow?
Your dream has been with me all day. It tells me you have no hint of a representative self buffering your reality and your subconscious is very close to the surface. I am sure its painful a lot of the time, but all the things you and murph have got going are super counterweights.

nina said...

Yes I, but do you skank?

Pangolin said...

When Albino! comes into town you're damn straight we do.

http://www.albinoband.com/

Best live band in California by far. They put out a sound that could make a dead man dance.

v'word: copir

nina said...

Oh this is very very yummy. The holidays are solved, the winter doldrums vanished, I might even have to get up to sweet home #2 to see this. Thank you, amazing Pangolin.

ZONER come in ... Zoner ...

If there is ANYthing to get us out of this suffocating, twisted, corrupt, psychopathic multi-tiered horror, its an all night skank, a little sacrament, a Heinekin ...

We ask so little to have happiness.

Jacob Gittes said...

yes, the war drums.
Robert Bly I think said that when you see Billy Graham visiting the White House for a prayer session, you know a war is about to happen.
So keep on the lookout for little things like that.

The demonization of Iran reminds me of something my main spiritual adviser recently told me about people who make accusations that someone else has some psychological disorder:
The person making the accusation is usually the one suffering from the disorder or the symptoms he/she is accusing the other of!

As a nation we are projecting our own evil onto Iran and other nations.
WE are the ones with WMD's! We are the ones attacking other nations without provocation! We are the ones trying to enslave other nations in networks and webs of drug "wars," wars on terror, and globalism as economic warfare.

The USA is a nation of self-proclaimed victims and whiners, and if we start another war, it will be in order to hide our own problems and evils. This time, though, I suspect the ruse won't work. Prepare for... I don't know what.
I'm just going to keep on drying seeds from my winter squash.

Anonymous said...

"This old man wants to play the drums. Those that make people feel good. People (some) here do not like to hear those sounds". I'm in Canada now not Jamaica, so have to 'behave'.

There are endless debates in Jamaica about our patois. Is it bad english or an evolving language?

Whichever it is, it's most effective when cussing and also talking to cops in 'foreign'. You know; "Hey where you from?", me: "Jamaica haffisa. Mi never si di red lite sah!", with those innocent eyes.

I do the Queen's english fairly well. The Queen would pick up on my glitches though.

Lesson #2 for Pangolin and all. Speak it from the gut, nasal twang is only used by 'di duppy dem' in Jamdown.

Best, turey.

VW: minises. Minnie sure talks a lot!

nina said...

"It was the winter of our discontent..."

BTW fa, that would make a great essay title at some point should you be looking for one.

chickory said...

turey: i was in a bar in jamaica last year and loved the music - insane blend of island beat ramped up frenetically with a kind of rap -english -sort of- and just very nutted up. copious use of bursts of air horn.
i remarked on it and the bartender told me it was his own mix. he took it out of the CD player and gave it to me. i played it for some friends and they liked it too. its young for sure, but it feels very now to me. i would have to say i am more hendrix too -the "cry of love" is in my top ten albums all time.

nina, you are right of course. i always had a bit of a howard hughes neuroticism - i mainline ionized silver throughout the day. i am scared of being sick; always was like that.

as it turns out, i wont be going to pittsburg as my mom is in hospice and i have been called home -i dont know if i mentioned it already -but this has been going on all summer. now my sisters are ragged out and i have to go. she will be moved to a nursing home and we will take down her apartment and i guess figure out what is next.

i talked to the museum i will do all the prep work and ship it to them - they will build the day of the dead altar from my photos and they will have examples of the activities...and i think they will pay me half. they were very gracious about it.

i actually feel like a total shit for thinking of bailing -and for my lame-ass ness the universe gave me something for real to worry about.

sorry for all the personal in this space. youre a rock, friend. thanks to you and everyone in here.

pangolin i smiled when i saw your spice=LSD comment at JHK last night.


how does one travel 8 hours with six hens? husband does not want to manage the chickens. dog yes, hens, no. i understand. they are not easy outside of their home at chickory. i will set them up at my sisters house i guess.

be well everyone.


gotta great word veri this time!!

"nopal"

the cactus in the middle of the lake tenochitlan where quetzocoatl perches

i will leave in a few days. next week your sitemeter will see me in orlando.

nina said...

...if we start another war, it will be in order to hide our own problems and evils. This time, though, I suspect the ruse won't work. Prepare for... I don't know what.

It isn't hidden from other nations, but corrupted with blackmail cash, they go along with the ruse just as Americans go along with it, only we don't get any placaters, just tear gas and tazers. Whatever happened to the two Japanese traveling in Europe caught with millions "in bags"?
And how about the Japanese Finance Minister found dead last weekend, the one who "resigned" for appearing drunk at the G-whatever? Perhaps he was not drunk but speaking out for once, fired and shut up permanently?
And Polanski who landed at bailout airport? Money talks.
We might not see any religious figures visiting the WH anymore, rather they have exactly what they require as close as it gets. At this point, the condition appears permanently out of control.

Yes, your seeds, POSITIVE. We are not evil, we are no match for whatever it is that is going on, so tending to our own natural survival is healing.

Anonymous said...

Glad the job worked out Chickory.

Coincidence about nopal. I'm researching an object that depicts the prophesied cactus and eagle that the Mexicas sought to locate the center of their universe. The Great Temple was built in this spot.

Seems the eagle was eating nopal and not a snake. Nopal symbolised the extracted heart that kept the sun in it's path.

Strange path they took. So much pain and suffering to fulfill mythical thinking. Same goes on now, without the pyramids.

I'll treat all to heinekin and sacrament if it's genuine.

turey.

VW: prack. The crack heard from the rack.

nina said...

Iry turey, Rootsman, do you know how glad I am you are here? You are the missing link dropped into place and it came about because Pangolin was celebrating Talk Like A Pirate Day. You revealed your true I-self, thanks and praises. I see many fruits coming from the revelation, Publius son's fever dealt with, Pango makes poetry, Chickory gets her airhorn lesson and me, well, I get to cherish memories of the clear-skin girl carrying her baby by the sea every day at dawn, oh beautiful days, Jah insulation for the winter of our discontent. Praises.

Anonymous said...

Bro G, my teacher of the ways of the Chlorophyll Beings, reminds me that 'Iron Sharpeneth Iron'. In these times we need such sharpening/encouragement from each other.

He also took care of the young Bob/Joseph in 9 Mile St Ann. He's planted a garden in Vancouver that blows everyone away. He practices the old ways that the slaves used on their small allotments to eventually control the silver currency of Ja.

Many stories to tell, more stories to experience.

turey the clear skin Rootsman.

Yea, we come in all shades.

Jacob Gittes said...

Nina, Chickory, turey, etc....
yes, it's interesting how people who are of very different backgrounds, islands, regions, "class" (hah!), temperaments can get together with thoughts running into each other's thoughts and actually help each other and create something new in terms of community... for my actual direct neighbors are nice people, but if I talked to them the way I do here, they would laugh or freak out or not invite me back!

Nina, thanks for the support on my idea that the child should be allowed to nap in the evening if he can't be kept up except by force. Last evening he stayed up pretty late (~10 PM), but since I entertained him, this went over OK in the Publius household. I'd rather have to entertain a child in the evening than try to "require" him to do this and that, and use force and coercion.

I often just want to say, in the midst of the melodramas and interpersonal conflicts among family that I seem to have earned in a previous life, "chill out!"

Where is the voice on the Int'l stage saying, "chill out!"

Dr. Strangelove's in abundance, but not enough Bob Marleys, Thoreaus, Ghandis, Tolstoys.

A permanent feature of modernity seems to be the "need" to continually prod people out of a peaceful state. To agitate them. Irritate the nerves, set them against each other.
It starts at home when parents try to force their children to subordinate the urges and creativity of nature to the demands of Moloch or Mammon the Machine.

A child's smile or laugh, or a mediocre performance by a street musician, is worth more than the GDP's rise. Since it will now be falling for the foreseeable future, that gives us hope.

nina said...

Chickory, you had not mentioned your Mom - that I recall. My Mom succumbed to Alzheimers at the hour Katrina hit. I know what you are going through with the "home" and sisters and wrapping up the apartment. We must be appreciative in this economy for her care, many others will not receive so much attention in their golden years. Enjoy your hours with her, recall how something in her gave you the lifelong gift of art. Now is the time to thank her profusely for even the smallest things.

I take it the hospice is in Orlando? I know you will make the best of whatever is presented to you. We'll all be looking for your speedy return to chickory farms, asap.

There is one more thing you should know, all concientious adults go through this time, its another stage in the cycle of life, its totally natural, you must experience it so be there all the way. Jah guide.

nina said...

thanks for the support on my idea that the child should be allowed to nap in the evening

He is very fortunate to have you as his daddy. Seems to me you are doing a great job as his guardian angel which is what that job really is. A guardian angel who slays dragons before they damage a perfect thing.

Anonymous said...

Same here Publius.

Brought together by this medium and whatever magic weaves destinies.

That a child of DARPA (The Dark Pa?) has a hand in this is another strangeness.

If Dark Pa could morph into Lite Ma, then we could skank till we drop :-) No More Bombs. Those predators and jets sound scary. No wonder you guys down S are aprehensive. It's easier to sustain the 'It's OK' face here. The banks did not screw around for one. Or rather did not screw around excessively.

Just come from Bro G. He is watching for two more weeks frost free for the Beans, Corn and Squash to mature fully. Ring a bell? As in Native American gardens. Bro G is a Maroon who has inherited this from his Taino ancestors (Jamaican Native American). Bob, his neighbour, was half Maroon and half Marley (Irish?).

G talks of Cap'n Marley riding to visit Bob's mom and being respected in the village. That's fer Nina. I'd like to do a CD, 'Burning with G Man', lotsa history.

Chickory, I'm taking care of my mom, 80, mouth still strong, if you get my drift and wanting to be in her house till she moves with my sister. I have family all round. For better or worst.

My grandma and step grandpa lived in Orlando. Nice, but we miss the mountains, rivers and sea. I wish the best for you and your mom.

Later People.

VW: dandl?

Zoner said...

Oh man, 3 solid days in the extreme North of California and how can I EVER go back to the flatland? Publius, it's the North Shore x 1,000 with no bugs and no winter. Oh, and an ocean, too.
And really big trees.

The air up here is amazing - something my diminished self sees as a bit of a miracle what with there being so much cool, dry, highly-oxygenated stuff to breathe in.

If things are going to go haywire, let's do it soon so I can become stranded in Humboldt County.

Motel 8 tonight in Ukiah, then back to Nevada tomorrow, and our "vacation" ends. I don't wanna go back. Ever.

This place feels like home now.

Let the old men do their thing, just leave me out of it.

wv; fenomat
Z

nina said...

Sounds good Z. Maybe you should stick around? Here's what's happening according to Pango Pango:

albino!

music

Upcoming shows:

DATE, VENUE, LOCATION
09/30 Yoshi's
Oakland, CA
10/28 Red Fox Tavern
Eureka, CA
10/29 Cooper's
Nevada City, CA
10/30 Hopmonk Tavern
Sebastopol, CA
10/31 The Independent
SF, CA

I just gotta go. What do you have that's so pressing to go back to?

Pangolin said...

Zoner_ You have landed on the equivalent of a sunny week in Seattle. It's sucker time in Humbolt county and don't you forget it. My sister lives in Eureka and there's no summer there either. Inland Humboldt county there is only one source of income and that involves the money tree.

If you had e-mailed me I would have told you about the http://www.solarliving.org/ in Hopland just a few miles south of Ukiah that is a must visit site if you are anywhere near. Way more than just solar panels.

On your way over Hwy 20 stop at Cache creek for a picnic. It's in just the right place for a break and a incredible little spot to dip the feet in water. Granzella's in Williams is also a good stop. Free olive tasting there and the taco stand around the corner is pretty good also. Marysville-Yuba City is to be avoided (except for the indian restaurants) and the next sane spot is Grass Valley. Grass Valley has Cornish Pasties which are like biscuits and sausage gravy turned inside out.

Aaagh, you won't get this in time. Dammit man go south and see Yosemite and Death Valley. Take the kids across the Golden Gate. You'll kick yourself later for not doing it. C'mon Zoner, wake up early and check your in-box.

Damn.

v'word: ingesse

Zoner said...

Pangolin, sorry I didn't get in touch earlier. I just turned over the wheel to my wife and we shot North to the Sea. Spent 2 nights in Eureka and fell in love a couple hundred times along the way. You could have dropped me off anywhere along the Redwood Highway and I would have been happy to wander off into the wood and never return.

The whole county smells wonderful. I see the migrant workers everywhere to help bring in the crop, and I imagine things are weirder than usual right about now? I'm guessing that things are pretty poor around here, but I don't sense desperation as much.

That solar joint looks like the kind of place I need to frequent so I can prepare myself for a real "off the grid" lifestyle. That is exactly how I see it shaking out here in the very near future (assuming there is one).

We'll be back for those other trips soon. Depending on what we hear tomorrow after my Father-in-Law sees his doctor, we may even be staying around longer still on this trip, but the plan is to sell our MN house and find a way to get out here and be in the sun with the gooder air. As someone who suffers a bit from respiratory issues, nothing has been more welcome than the coastal air.

Nina, the only thing pressing us towards MN again is the completion of our disconnection and the official "move". This emergency trip was a good primer and now I have a better idea of what we are moving towards. Gotta go back and do this right, and finish up the musical project that I'm working on, then freedom is ours.

I'll be back, but next time I'll have more time and different intentions. Thanks for the heads-up and the kind words, all.

Off to NV.

Z

nina said...

Somebody has California fever. You know Zoner, one day far from now, if man manages to survive climate chaos, the whole state is going back to Mexico. In my childhood, it was still the hot scene, convertibles and sunglasses, in my college years, it was pretty rolling fog and cute cable cars, now its kerrazy land, broke, over regulated, too hip and too drugged out to make sense of itself. You live here, you are half-mad, half-amused. Pangolin is a perfect example of the Californian of the moment. I guess I am too, in a way, but anytime you get the late night missys for this joint, wander through the Gallery archives under label west coast chronicle.
At least you know now. We'll see you back when you can't stand not being here anymore. ANYWHERE you are is hard to leave until you're gone.

baz recon said...

It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Eliot (1819-1880)

It's often quite saddening to me, to see vibrant young talented kids enlisting in the military. My own worst fears, would probably be my own sons sign up—in the core pit of me stomach. I'm somewhat thankful they don't live with me .. I think? Yes, where I live there is not a great deal of employment opportunities—rural area. Consequently, so many young folk 'round these parts ... even from hippy parents (split), who have given their children names like "Soul", enlist, ughh—saddens me. Especially when I've gotten to know them .. and know they're nothin' but cannon fodder / canon fed.

Yes, it's the old bastards like Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleezza Rice, dictating military policy to the young ! The young aren't so discerning about the very attractive offers presented by deceivers. Erasure of student debt, medical plans, housing allowances / incentives, and probably the biggest inticement for children of 'broken' homes—family. Instant and immediate. Very attractive to state institutional orphans, of whatever dazzling variety, by-products of democratic western capitalism awry. I know, sounds like some commie sympathizer—No apologies. It is what it is.

A military is an organization authorized by its nation to use force, usually including use of weapons, in defending its country (or by attacking other countries) by combating actual or perceived threats. As an adjective the term "military" is also used to refer to any property or aspect of a military. Militaries often function as societies within societies, by having their own military communities, economies, education, medicine and other aspects of a functioning civilian society.

The Military carefully conceals truth from the unsuspecting populace. Always has, always will. Like how many women, or as I would prefer to call them, stupid girls, secreted back stateside along the highway of body-bag boulevard. And many more "secrets" the dumbed-down civilian either knows nothing about, or excuses himself / herself from knowing. Not my business what The prez does with 100,000 stupid ignorant kids fight'n for, ah, truth, justice, and the american entitlement to own the whole goddamn world—and lead it on it's mary—catholic way to Hell! No sir-ree *salute*

HAHAHA—sorry, maniacal laugh at this junction, but like I said—humor's warped. Yeah, I know—problem's too big to deal with. Spent a few days with my youngest son recently, and his girlfriend. Man .. impressed with the kid's guitar playing—excellento! Hendrix, Doors, The Floyd, and she's a songwriter—won competitions even. Remember years ago, when Shanan wuz gettin' into trouble with the fuzz—petty juvenile stuff, still, that's how I got my start in the Army. He only had 120 Rap songs on his Ipod—all angry shit / songs about murder. Man wuz I scared! Eventually interested him in some themetically correct songs: Pink Floyd, some other old songs when there wuz revolution in the air, before them tunes got corporatized. Long story—short, now he plays them, and wants to be an artist!

Here's an excerpt from a newspaper horrorscope, just to expose tongue-in-cheek religious leanings: A well thought-out strategy yields the desired result. There is no further need for a contingency plan ... you can begin building on the current momentum. ... enterprises ...

Ciao! bella — later
WV: housies ?

nina said...

New exhibit on Deep Into Artlife West Gallery:
the man and his minolta

Jacob Gittes said...

Zoner and others:
I'm glad you are inspired by California, the Sierras, etc.
I would love to visit that region, the playground of John Muir and many others wonderful caretakers of the earth.
My reasoning for staying in Minnesota and moving north is not based on the idea that it's the most beautiful landscape on earth. I don't believe anymore in superlatives. It's my/our land, with its own subtle beauties: the lakes, streams, swamps (yes, swamps are beautiful and fruitful), rivers...
I want to make a stand for my land, my region... and yes, the Californians scare me a bit. I'm a Midwesterner at heart, of Lutheran Scandinavian extraction... kind of boring,maybe, but we have our own intense but quiet joys...

Zoner should go where the spirit moves him. Mine is moving me towards getting out of the rat race, and into the north country where the crowds fear to tread.
Cold weather does tend to keep the riff-raff out, I've noticed.
I fear that numbers will not be our friends in the near future. Rats in a cage do worse as the number of rats per cage goes up.

baz recon said...

NINA: OK—so maybe I could've transposed Madeleine Albright for Condo, but I think you get the picture—with or without catholic affiliations. I suspect people might tire of my singular point I've been making for years on blogsites, or even the NYTimes—haha. But well, truth is the rarest commodity in abundance—haha. The large grey wrinkled matter in the room appears to have disappeared through familiarity—or somesuch. You can write more sympathetically understandable!

Hey, it's John Lennon's birthday today! Alas, if he were still .. but, he is! At the further risk of appearing a kook (have no idea what .. ), here's a long-standing fantasy of mine, to celebrate uncommon senses:

a cold squally night .. inspiring for meditative musings on combating the darkness that threatens our souls .. scrawling—FORGIVE ME—in Blud: Slavic mythology, an evil-deity that causes disorientation and leads a person aimlessly around and round.

Imagine John Lennon sensed Mark Chapman behind him, about to shoot him four times in the back .. and turned, smiled, then persuaded him, he had only been kidding with his quip about being greater than Jesus, that hey, he wasn't actually being serious. I mean, c'mon, nobody can be bigger than Jesus .. can they?

No heaven. No hell—only sky. They became friends: the schizophrenic / delusional son of a U.S. Air Force staff sergeant, who would beat him and his mother, and, a peace activist who wanted to give peace a chance. It's easy if you try.

Together, they hatched a plan: to convince every soldier, in every Army, in every country, to defect simultaneously. That on the stroke of midnight they would ALL simply walk-out. Nothing to kill or die for.

It isn't hard to do .. Is it?

Goals can often be achieved quicker, or even achieved, in collaboration with others. John inspired me—his ideas, Marley too incidently, while we're on the same page. Seen some dread—mun. "A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality."—talkin' about the collective consciousness / unconsciousness of the human race, as opposed to say—the degenerative race. YOU KNOW!—the need to read between the lines, to understand what's really goin' on. What people say, may not be what they really mean—fundamental psychology of programmed amer.. er, mankind. Surrounded by Innuendo and intrigue—a day of mystery—mysterious daze. OK, baz—maybe waffling now ... back in yuh cage son. Said too much—already.

Notebook: Jaded revolutionary—haha. With the rise of corporations, visionaries thought Woodstock was the beginning of an era ... freedom ... but alas, it was the end of an era. 'Give peace a chance' died. Well I say, give peace another chance.

and that singular point .. ah, hell—it's vanishing.

nina said...

Thank Baz, that was an excellent and beautifully referenced work. Stay out of your cage more, the longer we visit, the more interesting you become.

nina said...

At least Publius, by honoring your own land, you won't have live under prude regulations and credit rating games mandated by the fruits and nuts. Oh, they may all dress like children at the playground in overalls and sandals, but they're packing -ahem - and mixing shake and bake at 85mph bumper to bumper hauling RVs up and down the Interstate. They are generally so totally into themselves, communicating with another person is either their way or you'd best move on before they lose what small reasonable-appearing persona you might have thought they possessed upon first meeting. I am talking hard core. Outlaws. You recall that photo on Z's blog a while ago, that's heh, heh, yet another popular style for the California habitue.
Pango represents a completely different type of Californian, sadly there are a lot more of the other and fewer of Pangolin. It takes all kinds, my point being you never know what you will be dealing with next. All expectations are off. Sometimes you win, moretimes you run.
It is my honest feeling, from the photos, the water, everything you've told us, you are going to a wonderful place and will be ultimatly satisfied.

Pangolin said...

I've spent some time since Nina's post pondering which half of me is mad and ending up deciding that it's two thirds. A third of me is angry and the uncaring stupidity around me; especially when it is expressed by people who should be my allies. A third of me is flat crazy with pain and despair that the great natural beauty of place and people is diminishing slowly. The final third is astounded at the beauty and great gift of the place I'm in an the opportunities that are offered me.

This afternoon I sat with my back to a great oak and watched an older chinese woman perform Tai Chi fan set, a young woman in a bikini teach her puppy to swim and was serenaded by a virtuoso slide guitarist. The slide guitarist took a break to take a young mother and her infant on a short ride on his bakfiets cargo bicycle in the huge wooden basket in front of the rider.

Sacrament was offered and accepted and we rode off to a free movie and discussion about oil wars. Mostly us old grey heads in the room looking around in vain for the younger set. Dmitri Orlov was mentioned as well as the Roman Empire. Those youngsters are going to be surprised some day to put their i-pods down and discover the goodie wagon isn't coming any more.

Publius is doing right in honoring the land he knows. Those lovely redwoods are a sterile forest for men's bellies and they don't leave much in the soil. All nutrients are in the trees themselves. Good for Zoner's lungs though; they are giant filters.

Nina is right about the outlaws. Good 'ol boys and hilltop hippies with high powered rifles you never see. Occasional feuds leave little piles of bodies that are exclaimed about and hushed up. Then there is the little coterie of cargo-bike, organic veggie grower, goat milking, tattooed buddhists that tolerate me visiting.

Me, I'm feeling the universe pushing me into some kind of crazy holy man role with a broom and a backpack full of herbs. Too many years of watching "Kung-Fu" with David Carradine looking humble and kicking ass floating in my subconscious. I've got myself a fat hickory broom handle all picked out too. Time to harvest some bamboo and practice making flutes.

v'word: entsu

Charles Hugh Smith said...

What can we say about Obama's Peace Prize? A slap in the face of "bring it on"? Perhaps. But I have a feeling of disconnect when I see on WSJ.com that 60,000 more young people may be shipped to Afghanistan for something involving great violence and maybe protecting people from the Taliban...but is that the way to "peace"? Yes, the Taliban is horrible. So the Afghani people have to rid themselves of that cancer themselves. I don't see how body bags coming home to America will resolve the turmoil there. How about "declaring victory" and exiting stage left? That seems peaceable enough...

nina said...

Hi Charles, you're so logical, so inspiring, thanks and praises.
I'm going to respond on the homepage sometime today.
Love, Little Wing

Jacob Gittes said...

Why was I so disheartened this morning when I read the news that the Big O had received the Nobel Peace Prize?