D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Sunday, September 27, 2009

war and shelf life

It used to be a mystery. That there was a sea change underway was certain, but we were hard pressed to narrow it down and define it as we were experiencing it. When exactly did it start, who was responsible, how long would it last? If we tried to explain this to other people, we got funny looks "what exactly are you saying?" That was then.

This is now. Almost a decade later, or is it milleniums, and nothing has reversed the course of madness. The welcome screens are overflowing with contrary headlines we won't quote on blogs anymore in order to budget for food. Something about Obama wants summer breaks in the school year abolished. What was that about no stone left unturned ... or something about an ownership society?

Uh hunh. And where do you think the money to make real the recovery story will come from, because the people are going to get the idea pretty soon a jobless recovery is a little shaky? How about from this comment written by a JSmith:
...The object is to destroy Iran's industrial and civil infrastructure, shatter its economy, destroy any self-defense capability, poison its environment, assassinate its scientists and engineers, and subvert its political system; i.e., to create a failed state incapable of exerting any influence in the region...
Let's consider in carrying out the above, how vastly the endeavor enriches the already obesely rewarded carpetbaggers salivating at the prospects of another boom. Let us no more eye pop at those reports of the oil giants' record profits. Bubbles and booms are the age old survival choice of leading western nations. What do they know that you don't? They know big, big money soon fill the piggy bank again. Right on schedule covering for the recovery story. This is how they do the Foxtrot, step kick, step kick, back step and repeat.

We used to think we were not supposed to know things. We supposed what we saw of the come lately leadership was some awful deviation from a norm and came to find it is the norm. We used to think they cared how they appeared and cared about their oaths and offices and the global reputation of a reputed global ideal. All that aid going to impoverished nations, remember collecting items for your Care Box? The toothbrush and toothpaste tucked inside, you were certain someone, somewhere depended on your gift? We were raised to love the world. Some of us still do.

You know what is coming next. I can't stand to see it. We know what has happened to Iraq. We know Mesopotamia was jackbooted off the pages of history. We know the noose awaits. We know there will be many assisting and cheering it along and the blood money will flow as the blood flowed in the gutters in Jenin.

In addition to the anguish and sadness this brings on when they Bring it On, the secret question lingers, when are these victims going to have had enough? Retaliate? Oh, never! No one retaliates against superpowers, are you kidding? Not with this air power, this technology, not with the cohesive, coordinated back-up super powers of our friends and allies. That's suicide. Whatz a matter with you?

The victims are erased and converted before retaliation. When you can wipe the rest of world off the face of the map, there isn't anybody left to argue.

We have known this chapter was coming since Condoleeza received a written response from Mahmoud and soundly denounced it. The translation was pure poetry. For whatever political copywriters that may have assisted him, it read as the writings of a well intentioned, wrongly accused, humble scholar. You cannot help but get the idea that is who he is - absent the propaganda. Westerners have difficulty listening to him speak because he speaks thoughtfully and softly. We must have missed the part about babies on the floor and gassing his people. Who is being groomed to replace him? Have roles been promised to relatives of his successor the same way Ahmed Chalabi's nephew, sharing the same office floor as arch-neocon palm-greasers Feith and Zell, was contracted for $75 million to arrange Saddam's trial?

After all is said and done and the dead are laid to rest, Gitmo will remain open for business, the same ancient business of the stretching rack, under the repackaged product line. The boxed convenience of prepared mixes under a sparkling new theme, Organic Carpetbagging, it sells so well. Down the road apiece, the masses online in front of the tube lose interest, max out their credit and go into depression and the whole joint comes unhinged. Then the music changes, everybody moves out to the dance floor and the Foxtrot repeats like a broken needle on a scratched '78. Step kick, backstep.

The only mystery that remains is the oldest mystery of all. Is there really such thing as the devil? Our ancestors thought so. They burned people at the stake and are striking the match all over again. Time - seconds, years, centuries - is just a hologram.

48 comments:

Rick Garves said...

Listening to the drum beating propaganda the last several days one only has to substitute Iraq with Iran in the content to see it is the exact same spin of years past. The many excuses given for this demonizing are only a sideshow for what the real reason is, which is what got Saddam, Hugo Chavez, and now Iran in hot water. All have or had proposed to change the method of payment for crude oil from U.S. dollars to Euros. This cannot and will not be allowed to happen because if implemented would mean the end of the US Empire almost overnight as the payment for oil with US dollars is the only thing keeping the machine going now. The reality of the situation is these countries cannot be allowed to exist because of their threat to the U.S. way of (corporation) life. It is like a long running Broadway show - the cast changes but the script remains the same.

nina said...

100% on the money, Rick. Money talks, nobody walks, its drive or die.
A GREAT post, thanks.
A warning to the people: turn off your TVs. You will witness the most outrageous lies made by "normal-appearing" men and women you've ever heard, that is - until the next go around. The official word is Iran has 3 months to shape up.
Placing that time frame on context with your comment Rick, I don't think it can be countered because its impossible.

Are we going to go around the world now and erase everyone who has declared they will no longer accept payment in dollars? Wouldn't this be the reason the dollar still exists?

Who remembers the Bourse casually mentioned in the lead up to Iraq? And did not OPEC say they would trade in a basket of currencies?

baz recon said...

ahh, computers. Should really be out there killin' something .. 2 eat. Alas, the lure of the machine—altruism? Juxtaposited thoughts—my own embedded in a sea / morass of entangled words—hah Could probably make this even more garbled / convoluted, if I really tried! Maybe if I keep typin' I'll sound like Salman Rushdie. Achem.

I am currently formally full-time employed, but I am tortured by the fact that I have NO freedom. I cannot just leave to go to ...

Publius' tale [his confession] really touched me. Mingled with my own memories of yore. Seemed to epitomize much of my own young-man daze. Remember it well ... like it wuz only yesteryear. Oh, how far I've come from the uncertainty and inexperience of youth. Lost much of the innocence along the way. Ignorance is bliss—is the adage which comes to mind. Now I'm tortured by knowing—hah, truth. Aarrgh—Hyper-vigilance, still awake at 0400—fuck. What to do?—the perennial question! Oh well, like I said, at least I know the truth—which is more than most people can say—from observation, constantly perplexed by the simplest of difficulties of understanding—hah

Like who bombed the WTC—Jesus, easy one—the fucken govt! Who else? Standard fare—panic the herd and acquire scattered loyalties, at a time when fragmentary herd impulses were threatening to de-stabilize the {strike}Corporation{/strike} er country. Professional demolition contractor vans parked outside just prior were a dead-cert giveaway—donchathink !

Over'n'out, is a call sign in the wild! [on the battlefield]. I've been ostracized for years. Don't really know any other way now—hah Altruism for me is to be marginalized with those who cannot defend themselves. Of course this may well be everybody now—hah Still, you can't carry everyone. You have to discriminate between worthy recipients and worthless baggage the goddess Karma has a date with—Timestamp. Lest you find yourself fightin' with a far-more inveterate foe than some piss-ant govt NSA microbe.

baz recon said...

ahh, computers, TVs, or for that matter SUVs that require oil ... and then of course, Work—that matters! But who can distinguish? Gross assumptions, much which passes for Warning—euphemism, Work. ALL of so-called work in western countries (so why only pick on western countries baz), convenience—they're running the show. Dictating to the whole world what is permissible and what is not. ALL of it is mismanaged / misdirected / mis-spent / exploitative, ironically to everyone! A HUGE percentage of it is concerned with deception. Mostly by deceptors themselves deceived, ignorantly busy with the work of deceiving others not yet deceived, yet questioning / resisting, but alas about to be pummeled / beaten into submission, indoctrinated into the party-line. Punished / rewarded accordingly, for their aptitude / willingness to allow themselves to be deceived in order to continue to deceive futher themselves, their children ... on and on into the future. The herd is comforted knowing there is safety in consensus ... until the cliff appears at the end of the road. Then the herd universally cries WTF! astonished with the bullshit they'd been programmed to believe their whole lives was in fact exactly what they'd secrectly believed all along, but were too afraid to say so for fear of upsetting someone, least of all themselves.

Multiple lies at every crossroad—corner of Wall and broadway. All the way to Washington and Vine. Biggest liars get paid the most—TRUTH. Unethical, but true. A moral quandary—stuckedness. Which way out? Even the ambulance driver is a fool—driving you to the morgue absent-mindedly, deceived, and you ain't even dead yet. Well that's what you think, you just don't even know it ... yet.

WV: boarail — hah! I kiduknot

Jacob Gittes said...

@Baz: man, are you a whirling dervish of seductively subversive thoughts... Thanks for getting my confession. (ah es, it's all about me!!!)
I plan on leaving this thing I'm in. I'm trying to prep and plan, and I have the added complication of a wife and child. The wife knows something is amiss in this hologram, but is still hanging on to hope. The child just want to play and build things and imagine. The in-laws and my mom would have me put in a psych ward (maybe for real?) if I just up and left and said ok, wife and child, we're headin' north to build us a cabin and grow us a garden. Pick up that hoe. Cook this here fish for dinner tonight. Get some water from the well. (Don't worry, I would fetch the water, too - I'm a modern feminist in some ways).

WAR: Nina's post upset me, because I don't know how I can take or tolerate my "nation" murdering more innocents. Which it does everyday, of course. But I might have a serious problem with mental stability, such as I have, if this obvious rush towards war succeeds.
Are there no countervailing forces, even within the elites? I overheard that old cold warrior Zbigniew Brzezinski talking about how the USA needs to tell Israel that they won't be allowed to use Iraqi airspace for an attack, and to blow the Israeli jets out of the sky if necessary.
As if. He must have been smoking something good that day - imagining Obama, of all politicians, actually standing up to the major terrorist state in the Middle East.
The main hope for peace is chance. Give peace a chance. There's a chance that the devils just won't be able to get their act together, and their children's stories about the bogeymen of Iran fall flat, and the world laughs at the fables like schoolchildren laughing at a bully exposed for the coward he is.
Odds?

Rick Garves said...

“Are we going to go around the world now and erase everyone who has declared they will no longer accept payment in dollars? Wouldn't this be the reason the dollar still exists?

Who remembers the Bourse casually mentioned in the lead up to Iraq? And did not OPEC say they would trade in a basket of currencies?”

Nina, points well made. However OPEC has not yet done it so the question remains why not? Probably because they have not been given the green light by the powers that be as they want to squeeze every last dime out of the U.S. first before pulling the plug and making it a third world country along with being the last super power. This leads right into the next phase: One world government.

In the meantime the U.S. role is to stomp out any premature efforts by any maverick states that would upset the timing of the afore mentioned. History has shown that things do not always go as planned. Take the rise of Hitler for example. He was put in power and supported with money by the Capitalist countries, mainly England and the U.S. with the intention of him starting a war with Russia in the hopes that Fascism and Communism would bleed each other dry thus leaving Capitalism as the last man standing. Well that all changed when Hitler decided to go West instead of East and something had to be done to stop him. So there are always some wild cards in the deck that can be played and when that happens a contingency plan has to be put into effect. That is where we are today as I see it.

Speaking of wild cards the biggest one is Russia right now. They have the means - oil, natural gas, and nukes to be able to upset the current agenda and Putan knows it. Keep an eye on events there as they keep playing both sides of the fence.

http://www.energybulletin.net/node/7707

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article478.html

arthurdecco said...

"Is there really such thing as the devil?"

The last-but-one Pope mused out loud that George W. Bush, Sociopath, had to be the Anti-Christ back on Earth to foment evil.

Though what that means remains a mystery to me, atheist that I am.

But hey! even Popes are atheists at heart aren't they? They believe in one more gawd than me is all, while disbelieving in all the others I disbelieve in.

word verification: twilik

That's eerie, that is.

nina said...

Dear Twilik, that's the kind of remark usually made behind closed doors. Heh. I don't think I've ever see it in print anywhere. But it does make you wonder, doesn't it.


Sorry to be so slow today friends, I'm in a painting and there ain't nothing I can do to get away. Back after dinner, in about 2 hours.

arthurdecco said...

here's where I got the information on the Pope's opinion of Bush, Nina:

Pope Fears Bush Is Antichrist
Wayne Madsden
Catholic New Times, May 18, 2003

WASHINGTON DC -- According to freelance journalist Wayne Madsden, "George W Bush's blood lust, his repeated commitment to Christian beliefs and his constant references to 'evil doers,' in the eyes of many devout Catholic leaders, bear all the hallmarks of the one warned about in the Book of Revelations--the anti-Christ."

Madsen, a Washington-based writer and columnist, who often writes for Counterpunch, says that people close to the pope claim that amid these concerns, the pontiff wishes he was younger and in better health to confront the possibility that Bush may represent the person prophesized in Revelations. John Paul II has always believed the world was on the precipice of the final confrontation between Good and Evil as foretold in the New Testament.

Before he became pope, Karol Cardinal Wojtyla said, "We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has gone through. I do not think that wide circles of the American society or wide circles of the Christian community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the church and the anti-Church, of the Gospel versus the anti-Gospel."

The pope worked tirelessly to convince leaders of nations on the UN Security Council to oppose Bush's war resolution on Iraq. Vatican sources claim they had not seen the pope more animated and determined since he fell ill to Parkinson's Disease. In the end, the pope did convince the leaders of Mexico, Chile, Cameroon and Guinea to oppose the U.S. resolution.

Madsen contends that "Bush is a dangerous right-wing ideologue who couples his political fanaticism with a neo-Christian blood cult."

COPYRIGHT 2003 Catholic New Times, Inc.
COPYRIGHT 2003 Gale Group

word verification: suphot

baz recon said...

the difficulty is not so much, as to whether the Devil exists, or even where he lives. Ask anyone in the east where the sun shines first upon the riches of the earth, and the answer will be an ecstatic, whadda-you nuts obviousness. Why don't you know already? Are you a fucken spy? The ridiculousness of both the question, and the answer, behoves both the sheer extent of ignorance and arrogance of complicit fools instrumental in their own destruction. Karma's goin' to lick you all over ... baby !

And yuh won't even need oil—HAHAHA HAHAHA

nina said...

Publius, if you get socked into a psyche ward, known as 'Baker Act'ed, you walk in three days. You cannot be held. For things to progress to that point however, your relationships with your accusers would be over.

Back off from that for a minute and remind yourself that playing the "You are crazy" card only comes about because people feel threatened by truth. If we all saw ourselves as knowing nothing, the crazy card holds no value. Just stay humble, but aware.

arthurdecco said...

Nina said: "...remind yourself that playing the "You are crazy" card only comes about because people feel threatened by truth. If we all saw ourselves as knowing nothing, the crazy card holds no value. Just stay humble, but aware."

The first sentence is as true as True gets, Nina. But I have a couple of serious doubts and questions to ask you about how you followed it up in the quotation above.

How is it possible to see ourselves as "knowing nothing" and still maintain our self-respect?

I must not be grokking your meaning because I’m aghast at what I think you’ve implied.

I'm far from knowing nothing and I would never falsely claim to know nothing as a means of screening myself from the inhospitable attentions of those who have drunk the kool-aid provided by the feral monsters in charge of everything.

And isn't "humble" a state of mind designed to keep it's adoptees enslaved by the scum-sucking bottom feeders who demand eyes-down, complacent, compliant worker bees as a replacement for sentient and self-respecting people who are clearly able to recognize a naked Emperor when they see one?

I firmly believe "polite and respectful self-confidence" works more effectively as a protective barrier against ignorance and the belligerent fear it produces than humility and self-avowed ignorance could ever.

People disagree with me all the time – on line - sometimes passionately, even diabolically – that goes with the territory, but I’ve never been threatened with the "crazy police" by anyone who actually knows me – even by those diametrically opposed to my opinions.

"Stand Up and Push Back Smiling" is my motto of the week.

I firmly believe it works for anyone willing to take the obligatory heat that accompanies self-confidence and the earned knowledge that is responsible for creating it.

After all, it’s the heat that keeps you hopping. (wink)

...oh...Publius...

"The main hope for peace is chance. Give peace a chance. There's a chance that the devils just won't be able to get their act together, and their children's stories about the bogeymen of Iran fall flat, and the world laughs at the fables like schoolchildren laughing at a bully exposed for the coward he is."

These are not the words of a crazy person - these are the thoughts of a sane and thoughtful person.

As all your words on this blog are.

nina said...

Probably a poor choice of words Arthur, I meant if people were more humble in general, some of them wouldn't get into the position of forcing last resorts in the first place.
I've seen your method backfire, for example as a child I got whipped harder for laughing. My inability to suffer at the hands of the punisher made everything that much worse.
Someone furious does not react well to smiles and logic. Confidence makes them seethe. They want to break a behavior which threatens them. They will not allow themselves to be seen by their offender as ineffectual.
I see your point. There are times that is the appropriate response and times to back down. Both work and we have to sense which one is the one that will crush the non-violent violence.
Later on, when everyone is calm, you can redirect the conversation, stand up confidently and smile while you explain exactly what happened ensuring it will not happen again. I suggest sneaking it in almost spontaneously before preconceived thought distorts the reception.

You know, this discussion could be applied to wars. If only we were the generals making decisions ...

nina said...

Rick, thanks, I agree, it is Russia who could upset the neocons' plans. You'll note the missile defense shield at Russia's doorstep was aborted.

I wonder if Bush has the balls to wear a devil suit on Halloween? He'd probably terrify the neighbors. His every move is so programmed, maybe it could be seen as good for trade. Then all the leaders and former leaders could come out of the closet. Good, right? However, the drooling monster from the Alien series might be too much to handle.

arthurdecco said...

Nina said: “I've seen your method backfire, for example as a child I got whipped harder for laughing. My inability to suffer at the hands of the punisher made everything that much worse.”

I didn’t have the courage or the knowledge base as a child to stand up for myself, Nina. I can’t tell you how much I admire you for doing what needed to be done when you must have known the price that would be demanded of you in advance of your reactions. The fact is - I never had the courage to join you in your cheerful, or otherwise, rebellion. I was a coward and a conformist - a potential blight on the planet.

Thank gawd that ineffable spirit of contrariness burns bright in you still! Because… it’s that spirit of yours that feeds us all here through your blog!

On the other hand, as a child, I was as cowed as the every other nondescript kid I knew growing up. I was as fascinated by my television as any other wide-eyed simpleton-creation of our public school system. Thank gawd I still managed in my later schooling to get a sound and rounded education, even if it wasn’t the one that I was assigned, even if I walked through the wrong door to get it.

Fortuitous accidents can happen!
Thank gawd this one happened to me!

I hope it’s happened to you too since your unfortunate experiences began, Nina.

No one deserves to have memories of oppression ascendant.

nina said...

Are you saying there was actually a time you were not suave and debonair and did not have a brilliant sense of humor?
Maybe someday you'll write it all down. I'd love to hear your story. You are Pierre Trudeau ... Wait, no, you are married to Celine Dion?
Whatever fortuitous accident happened, the person who walked through that door knew what he was doing.

nina said...

Baz: ...The ridiculousness of both the question, and the answer, behooves both the sheer extent of ignorance and arrogance of complicit fools instrumental in their own destruction...

So Baz you are saying the devil is real, have I got that right? You might find
The Trap very interesting. I agree there is "something", but if I do not acknowledge it, it does not exist. Only when I'm out of other theories does the devil assume the default justification. I'd rather see evil as alien psychopaths than men with horns and tails.
Actually I'd rather not see any of it because it never had to be. The first evil opened the gates for more.

baz recon said...

sheet—did I spell behooves wrong? Must admit sometimes I rush things, and don't do a thorough ahh, check-up—hah I hate that—makes me look ignorant—HAHAHA Butt, I didn't bother to check your spelling either ... sooo, maybe—arghh, I'll take it in faith, everyone knows what they're talkin' about. Even the disagreements. Maybe our different experiences enlighten us to differing conclusions ... 'bout ... everything! Yes, that's got to be it. Sounds reasonable, to me! But then, 'part from ramblin', on occasion, and even forgetting what it is, I'm on about, ah

Jesus ... sorry, patience is virtuous. Someone said that—probably means somethin' ... to someone. Yeah NINA, We've all had different experiences. Hell is only a bus ride away. Wanted to say somethin' else 'bout Hell ... more pithy, had it on my mind all day. Alas, forgotten it ... for the moment. Funny—intend to write a whole fucken book about it someday. Voluminous tome, on a par with War and Peace ... Devil included. Minions, rank, fucken serial numbers—and all the circles therein. Fraggin' Generals—fuck, might have to give Oliver Stone a call! Or maybe me brother, he makes documentaries ... although might have to ahh ... for that last time we wuz drinkin' together, and ahh Well, hell we'll start with the novel, and see where that leads us!

Haven't checked out piraterick1 yet. Might not even. Like I said, some learn of pirates through children's fairy tales. Others, lootin'. You know, the personification of evil needs no convincing in many regions throughout the earth, where American jack-boots have plied their trade. 'Tis a given to the murdered survivors still living deformed. They can't understand how devils professing to be righteous can inflict such atrocities on others made in their image ... like them ? I tell them, they're not like you. This comforts them some. Seems to lessen their anguish, enough for them to return to their daily grind. Not mine. I'm haunted by what I've seen. It never goes away.

And the knowledge of who did it, and why.

Man, wasn't goin' to even go into this ah, detail. Wuz goin' to whip off a quick note—to say talk later ... and I guess I may ? Sometimes I feel like Gaddafi talkin' at a U.N. General Assembly. I'm the only one with anything intelligent to say—which no-one wants to hear. The dumbshit PBS media specialist keeps referring to me as a pariah, along with Ahmadinejad—well fuck him, and his Dodge Nitro SUV. If it isn't too megalomaniacal for me to say—hah

Yeah, feelin' a little overwhelmed. The ex-wife's at death's door—Cancer. My youngest son, 18 just showed up with his girlfriend. Haven't seen him in ... years. His gf wanted to catch some eels, which we did tonight—Publius—and tomorrow we smoke them, in honey and brown sugar, for lunch! Yum. Shanan remembered the last batch we smoked, years ago. They're asleep in the lounge now. It's 2am, and I'm tappin' here. So, yeah there are no atheists on the battlefield—Men cry out for Allah, for God, or their mothers. None of them come.

Jacob Gittes said...

Hello friends...
this blog comment section is a real head trip... I like journey, but I don't know where we're goin'.

Nina: I was exaggerating, slightly, about being committed to a psych ward for my ideas... Arthurdecco:I actually have been pretty firm and confident about my ideas, but that sometimes makes things "worse," sometimes better. I am trying to be more fluid and unemotional about other's emotional responses.
SPEAKING OF WHICH, I have a new melo-fucking-drama in my life, all related to the ever-contentious issue of home-schooling.
My wife posted an article on home-schooling to her Facebook page. I'd sent her the article, since it's one of the options we are considering, in the unlikely event we have the time and resources.
So my wife, she posts it to her FB page. Next thing you know, a big debate ensues. What's worse, two "friends" of mine jump on the article and my wife, lambasting home-schooling. Homeschooling is anti-community, anti-social, the kids become weird, etc. One of my idiot friends (soon to be ex?) is "terrified" of home-schooled kids (along with parents who don't immunize their children).

What's more upsetting to me is that one of my only friends who is a fellow "prepper," who gets the economic collapse and peak oil, really lays in heavy. Even though neither my wife nor I even claimed we were going to home-school, he accuses us of everything except pedophilia! Here's the LEAST inflammatory thing he posted on FB:
"Also, I think these people should have to pay into the public school systems even when they choose not to participate. If they want to opt-out, they should move out of the community. They can go live in the marsh on a gravel road.

Of course there are illegal ways to opt-out, like not reporting your income to avoid taxes."
He then sent an email to me that accused me of wanting to undermine society... Also that by "not participating" in a society that I might see as "evil," I am just making it more evil. And that homeschoolers parasites.
Then it got really personal between him and my wife.
As some here may know, my wife and I had a major marital crisis a few months ago, which we have largely resolved. We are happier now than before the crisis. Anyway, this friend recently emailed my brother, claiming my wife is "ruining my life," etc.
My friend, strangely enough, is quite unhappy with his own wife, who ridicules his attempts to prepare for a possible econ/social crisis, and who forces, by laziness, my friend to both work full-time, as well as cook and clean and child care for two children. This friend has been expressing a lot repressed and perhaps unconscious anger in his emails and public FB posts...
Anyway, I really fear I may lose this friend, because when I tried to reason with him about my nuanced views of education, he just attacked more viciously.
My main point was that public education is not synonymous with community, and that childless people and homeschoolers can participate in community in other ways. An idea he ridiculed.
'nuff said.
I've noticed that people in general are getting very ornery and angry, and relationships are fraying.
How to stay above the fray, and react with compassion?

Jacob Gittes said...

Baz:
Sorry to hear about your ex-wife... I'm glad you are there now for your son.
You've convinced me to go catch a fish this week and cook it up, even if it comes from the old Mississippi - an action that would make my family think I'm going to spontaneously mutate from the toxins that are supposedly oozing out of the riverbanks, which actually look pretty clean thanks to decades of EPA rules.

Pangolin said...

I had a longer post but Google ate it/won't give it back. Synopsis:

We're bluffing on Iran and they know it. A few missiles into the Saudi oil handling terminal and the US economy is toast.

The devil is the creation of man; a little mental virus that shifts the blame from self to other.

Don't fear the reaper. He always shows up when Allah, God and Mamma leave you writhing in pain. Fear instead being trapped in a meat prison while 'procedures' are performed on you to keep you so trapped.

I'm with Baz on the Ghaddafi speech. With nothing to lose why not tell the truth?

v'word: hymbrest

Zoner said...

Publius, hang in there, man. I don't know what to say about those "friends", but, c'mon - those are some pretty f'ed up views to toss back in your face.

My solution to my own current angst about school? Load 'em up in a car and run across the country for a while. Maybe forever, depending on how things shake out on the big stage.

California is just outside the door here. Tahoe tomorrow, and a push to the ocean to give my kids some more "education" next week.

Anyone want to meet up for a picnic? I'll bring some fresh apples and a warm smile.

Be well, folks.

Z

Jacob Gittes said...

Zoner! I was wondering where you are, what you are doing... you ought to post a blog entry on your journey once in a while.

I'm really disturbed by this shit with these old friends. Aristotle said,in his Ethics, that you are lucky in life to have one or two real, good, deep friendships... I see more and more how right he was.

I believe that evil exists... like William James, I think a category exists if it exists for us, as beings. Evil is a force, usually with a will behind it, that wishes to destroy the good... qualities and people and beings. What is the good? That's a whole other ball of wax, but I think most beings are born with a sense of what is good. A child instinctively loves a flower. Why? She's never seen one before, but is compelled by its beauty.
Whether or not the Devil exists doesn't really matter... He still has his minions on Earth, whether he exists or not, and the damage they do is real. How do people abandon the Good and True to follow evil? I do not know. Greed is involved there, and isolation from others. M. Scott Peck did a nice treatment of it in People of the Lie. He saw lies and deception as being a large part of evil, deception that eventually destroys the deceiver himself, turning him radically evil, and unable to know truth from lies himself.

I'm going to try my hand at a screenplay - I'm getting good practice with the melodrama I describe above. Now my "friend" is telling me he thinks my wife has Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and my wife, well, she just wants me to cut this friend off permanently. It's way more complicated than that, and way simpler than I think. It's ludicrous, a hall of mirrors, a fun house of epistemological horrors! What is the truth? Who is good? Who is bad? Who's not going to get a visit from Santa Claus this year?
Just at the Goodwill, and to make myself feel better got four $1 vinyl records: some Swedish fiddle music, Renaissance Spanish Harp music, Baroque-era string quartets, and a "current events/news of the day" disc from the year 1973, a year when a lot happened! says the cover.
I love old audio analog soundwaves... it almost makes you feel like you're in a time machine.

Jacob Gittes said...

I just figured something out.
I'm the one with Narcissistic Personality Disorder for posting my domestic melodramas here.
Forgive me, my friends!
On another tack, I think I like this guy:
http://powerofnarrative.blogspot.com/2009/10/fools-for-empire-ii.html

Pangolin said...

Publius_Your misery has just given me reason to gloat about not hanging out in either Facebook or Twit-land. If people can't manage whole paragraphs I'm not interested in what they're thinking anyway.

Your wife is supposed to ruin your life or what did you marry her for anyway?
If I could find another woman willing to ruin my life that I could stand to be around I'd take that one up in a second. Lovelorn is no way to face my middle ages.

I was on MySpace for about three weeks before I started hacking up hairballs at the sight of some co-workers, soft-porn, narcissistic, boob-shots followed by delighted posts regarding how drunk they were last weekend. The online equivalent of the guy in the trenchcoat waggling his weenie and just about as interesting. Ick.

Baz_ As long as you remain free and crazy I have hope for myself. Keep those updates coming.

v'word: dersina

arthurdecco said...

Baz typed: "So, yeah there are no atheists on the battlefield — Men cry out for Allah, for God, or their mothers. None of them come."

These words are the base camp of a powerful song’s lyrics, Baz, in addition to being a powerful closer to a post that SANG TO ME on a multitude of levels.

Can I use your words as the seeds of an original song? (With accreditation, of course?)

(psst… Nina... I'm still working on putting melody and a taut story line to one of your salubrious comments I had asked your permission to work with last month.

Writing my portion as skillfully and eloquently as you wrote is taking time and has necessitated the discovery of a mother lode of unfamiliar introspection I’m finding intriguing, if unsettling. (wink)

It's not like tossing off a blog post in reply to one of your Dances With Destiny, is it? I mean - with the blog, you've already done the heavy lifting. All we're expected to do as your commenters is to guild the lily you've already grown for us from logic, curiosity, pathos, fear, love and loathing and quite possibly, loads of other nouns I haven't yet considered because I'm lazy tonight and reaching for my third glass of wonderful Home-Brewed Chilean Merlot, sore from a day of physical labour. Heh heh

Even under the best of conditions, writing a good song is a lonely and exhausting endeavor – especially when the germinated seeds of them are sown by others far removed from your orbit. Don’t ever let anyone try to convince you that the great pop songs were tossed off unselfconsciously – great art, no matter the medium, is a matter of hard work and attention to detail. But everyone here already knows that – what am I going on about?!? :-) )

So Whaddaya say, Baz – Is “Men cry out for Allah, for God, or their mothers. None of them come” an arresting phrase in search of an infectious hook capable of forcing people to face up to the meaning of the words you wrote that I want to use to carry a tune?

Or not?

…?

Let’s do lunch. Fresh, caught-by-somebody-else fish and grilled-in-olive-oil-and-garden-picked-garlic vegetables. With a complex, fruity white wine that I will make and smuggle to the site.

…It’s New Zealand, isn’t it?

…North …or South Island?

nina said...

Publius, stay off Christene's FaceBook page, let her have her own world there. You have your's. She is entitled to her's.
A side benefit: when anybody wants to say something to you about her page, you won't know anything about it and only if you feel pressed, point out you keep those parts of your lives separate. Don't give in to any teasers to explain more, it ISN'T necessary.
You should not be a conduit to your wife personal space under any circumstances. It is extremely rude and manipulative for an anyone to incite conflict in this manner.
How you feel about homeschool has nothing to do with observing natural social courtesy and the boundaries of friendship. Refuse to participate in the game.

nina said...

What the meter? Give us a melody.

“Men cry out for Allah, for God, or their mothers. None of them come”

Flat on your belly gun in your hand
The rising sun shines on half a man.
Every day there are less dreamin' bout home,
After the sandstorm lies the last one.

Jacob Gittes said...

Arthurdecco: do you really write songs and perform them? Any links, files, or samples we can hear? I love the singer-songwriter genre... it harkens back to the old troubadours, who sang love poetry to noble ladies they could never have, and thus invented the awful Western concept of romantic love! But I still love the power of song and lyrics combined by a powerful voice.

Nina: before I go watch my movie about a crazy guy who collects old 78s of obscure back-hills folk music: I'm already there!
I was drawn into the debate against my better judgment, and boy was my original judgment correct. I'm off Facebook, Myspace and the whole works now. It's all full of real twits.
The real conflict, though, is quite a bit deeper, going into layers of cultural detritus and split personalities, doomer vices, paranoia, personality conflicts, and murderous rages, all torched by the incendiary bomb of social collapse that pushes people over the edge of civility. I ponder the fact that ties are breaking down at the very beginning of the coming age of darkness. There goes my idea that we could all cooperate and sing kumbaya to keep the wolves at bay. Darn.

arthurdecco said...

Nina typed: "Flat on your belly gun in your hand. The rising sun shines on half a man.

Every day there are less dreamin' bout home, After the sandstorm lies the last one."

Too much American GUN imagery for my pinkoe-commie Canuckistan sensibilities, Nina.

Is it yours? Or are you rattlin' my chains?

LMAO!

arthurdecco said...

Publius asked:

"Arthurdecco: do you really write songs and perform them?"

Yes. (...and it's: arthurdecco, NOT ArthurDecco or Arthurdecco or...)

"Any links, files, or samples we can hear?"

No. Not now. I keep my online character separate from my bread and butter - separate from music and building beautiful things like POA.

If you were more familiar with my politics you'd understand my caution...

(wink)

nina said...

Are you saying the collapse has brought out the worst in many people? Has divided people and brought pain and suffering where there once was harmony? Because if you are, a lot of people have mentioned this, strongly.
But it has brought others closer together, Z and his tribe are some of the few examples. Mostly, when times are financially insecure, all hell breaks loose with one thing being a catalyst for another and another. Plenty of people are living in a state of floating anxiety and may be taking medications that have weird side effects in behavior. Or maybe not, maybe they are just jerks who should be kept at a distance anytime.
There is also a real phenomena known as separation anxiety that produces "clinging" by any means. This is probably more of what you are seeing? And when you resist the coercions the clinger become unreasonable because they sense they have lost you.
It really sounds as if "homeschooling" is a front for a deeper issue Publius. I know you are already there, but when you bring it up here, we're going to talk about it.
I agree these situations are exacerbated in collapse. It has to get worse. All good reasons for going north sooner rather than hanging around while the fast lane deteriorates further.

nina said...

Okay arthurdecco, I won't write em, you just pick out what is right for your work and go with it.
Everything is free, but please credit the author/s. Does that work for your purposes?
You could do something like [insert TITLE OF SONG here] by arthurdecco & Baz 2009... if you are writing sheet music. Oui?

Bottom line, I think anybody here would be honored/thrilled to make a contribution to your music.

Pangolin said...

Hey Nina, I resemble some of those remarks. People keep handing me drugs and telling me that my pain isn't really due to my circumstances.

I feel like a car crash victim visited by the woo-woo paramedics who drive up and offer to chant Kirtan with me while I bleed out.

A few bandages and a gurney will do fine thank you.

I sat in 'circle' the other night and watched several 20-somethings break down in huge sobs. They did everything they were supposed to and they're still screwed.

That's the idea isn't it? Get the individual to destroy himself instead of challenging the state of things?

What happens when the sheep look up?

v'word: araterst

baz recon said...

Sure, I've always said—the answer wuz blowin'n the wind, next thing some bastard from Pittsburg wuz beltin' the same lyrics out on some radio station on NYKZW!—Hah Funny (sense of humor's warped), but I forgot to write—dying men cry out for ... when I re-read it, but then—aarrgh WTF, same thing. Anyone's that even there is already dead anyway, just doesn't know it yet—talkin' to Mr D—"Pleased to make your acquaintance." Pangolin—keep'n them comin'—"Sometimes to be sane, you have to go a little crazy." Art—real education is sorely missing in our world ... while people discuss meaningless concepts like bourses—ah, hell, just being emphatic to get to my point. I could spend aeons fillin'n the details. But doom cometh! And for all the unbelievers, well, hell—HALABALAH HAHAHA

Yeah—just fly your F-22 Raptor on over. Top of the Nth Isle. You can use the horse paddock for a landing strip. Bit bumpy—maybe scorch some wild pigs if you over-reach. Throw them into the mix—it's all good baby!

Anonymous said...

So Prophets, we're up that creek and sunk even with a paddle. The drums are persistant, the air smells of fear. So I hear.

The religious anticipate the coming of the various promised God Men: Maitreya, Mahdi, Jesus and Crew. The come quicker with more blood and screams. So they say.

The Profits anticipate gold pouring freely. To late, they find it's inedible.

Time to bring out the real drums. Maybe they will wake us to our humanity. Anything to stir sanity. Chant down Babylon and sing the only songs left in our depths.

Remember Prophets; turbulance and quantum magic, the depths of mens hearts, common sense and The Uncertainties may allow divergence from the seeming inevitable.

I war against no one!

You?

WV: sengy. Who's Gy? Send him anyway. All hands are needed.

Anonymous said...

Right. Anon forgot.

Beat down Babylon was from turey.

chickory said...

jsmith wrote:

The object is to destroy Iran's industrial and civil infrastructure, shatter its economy, destroy any self-defense capability, poison its environment, assassinate its scientists and engineers, and subvert its political system; i.e., to create a failed state incapable of exerting any influence in the region...

replace "iran" with 'merica and it fits like hand to glove.

the biggest shift i had in recent years was when i finally realized there wasnt any us and them. we're all them.

you know my field was full of wild carrot and onion! how sweet the fragrance. and i found a door and two windows yesterday for the shed. door is really heavy and solid and pretty.

i still like pretty.

i sowed a cover crop of rye since the flooding destroyed my fall crop. instead, i will focus on my composting and defining beds and amending them to be nutrient rich for spring. now two hens are laying! one hen may be a rooster. im seeing some rooster behavior-charging others with a lowered head and tail feathers getting pointy.


wishing all a good weekend.

nina said...

You gotta be the most industrious girl on the face of this Earth.

I'm deliberately slow having lived with Pollacks who were trained in the fine art of standing back and pondering a piece through slit eyes, smoking, criticizing ...
While you churn out lovely piece after piece, sell 'em out of your pickup while evacuating floods, raising chickens and plowing the north 40 in a single day.

If I said to you Have a happy weekend, would that mean you'd change the flow of the river and harness the fog with your bare hands?

Thanks and I'll say this somewhat cautiously, have a good weekend yourself!

Love, n.

nina said...

turey, I knew that. Not for one second did the I not reveal his I-self. Joseph is my Jesus. I & I were fortunate in this lifetime, yes?

nina said...

Pangolin: ...That's the idea isn't it? Get the individual to destroy himself instead of challenging the state of things?...

This works amazingly well with Chickory's brilliant substitution of America for Iran in the JSmith comment. And why not, its perfect, when we are the weapon of choice against our selves, "victory" is achieved. Then we can be numbingly absorbed into the greater mass. Dissent? Do ants dissent? Have you ever seen ants in a Tianamon Square standoff?

Anonymous said...

Words of Advice for Young People
WS Burroughs/Axiom
youtube.com/watch?v=JgLcv1mQZBg

Anonymous said...

Yes Nina I feel fortunate to be moving towards the service of Livity and away from serving Babylon.

Joseph as in 12 Tribe?

VW: ignobas. Ignore Baz. No way Word Generator Prophet. That manic laugh wakes me from my torpor.

Anonymous said...

And...VW: brath.

Word GeneratorProphet was reminding me to breath.

This is and that was turey.

nina said...

Iry Rasta, somehow it became known to me that Bob's friends knew him as Joseph. You may know otherwise, but my source was pretty good.

These Vwords are strange, I've got hordiva ... Madonna?

Anonymous said...

Hights Sister, Bob was known as Joseph as he was born under Joseph sign according to 12 Tribe runnings.

Cold breeze start to blow already in Vancouver. I-man long fi go a Jamdown!

chickory said...

haha! i just heard my husband snort a hundred miles away. woman of industry!? if i care about something i am. i cant get lazy on the survival loblolly. i am alone in this endeavor. all preparations for the post hologram shatter fall under my jurisdiction. im very fortunate that my husband doesnt ride my ass to get some pointless job.

your art process sounds like Rothko to me. did you see the series the "power of art" with simon shauma by any chance? the one on Rothko was really good. also the one on Turner -all of them, really.

yet another intriguing conversation here. publius, did you happen to see that post on club orlov about how your children dont need school? if you havent read it already, you might find some solidarity there.

nina said...

I thought you and hubby were vexed? Forgive me if that isn't so!

You don't have to go to school