When Arthur suggested the line between coincidence and intentional activity as a topic we should explore, it seemed to me we'd been over this question thousands of times in The Story of Nine Eleven, even if only in our own minds, so thoroughly that by now we should be on the other side where coincidence is one of the many hoped-for results of intentional activity.
This is not exactly an essay about 9/11. This is one of my usual word studies leading into the deeper recesses of thought under Deep Thoughts, the levels where seemingly innocuous statements turn into the heebeejeebies of bitter truth. There are no examples offered because any example I might supply can be better supplied by your own.
Blogging and surfing actually lessen our capacity to retain information due to the sheer volume of material being presented. After a while it becomes just more TV, another passive activity where you are fed words and images all the while thinking you are improving your intelligence and enjoying yourself in the process. We've learned that TV is utter nonsense, but we haven't yet figured out the true nature of the web. Yes, I know, we think we have, but the day will come generations of the future will scoff at what the Internet did to their civilization.
Watching 9/11 on TV and watching the 9/11 investigative commission unfold, sending off for your very own copy of the findings-in-full and watching mainstream news, you could form your own opinions without the assistance of the Internet. That's why its lame to legislate against the web, the web is just another tool in the larger bag of Satan's tricks. You'll notice he never runs out. You also might have noticed every trick leaves you in doubt - as if something other than what your mind tells you happened is taking place. What is really going on here, anyway? Taking stock - pause now to take stock - the amount of doubt currently being served to ALL OF LIFE IN GENERAL is equal to the garbage strewn acreage of every landfill dump in every major city worldwide. This makes it unanimous, humans refuse to trust their own judgment at almost every turn. What I am saying is: Coincidence is extremely rare, if it exists at all. We know, but we don't want to know what we know. We will stretch for explanations and sift tirelessly through the universe of pretense partnering with expectation, rather than take it for granted our hearts know best.
How did we get this way? We know that, too, don't we? Come now, from the time of the cave dwellers there has always been someone who wanted a story to fly for various reasons, the first is to place him/herself in the category of being more intelligent than someone else. Another reason of equal priority is manufacturing a pretext for action lest that action betray a scornful lack of integrity. The impressionable mind of the watching listener subject to these "reasons" will more often accept a story at face value rather than do the mental labor of asking questions. Thus the popularity of the student-teacher matrix in which some get away with murder and the others look on in amazement. Amazement is actually just a cover for avoiding the conflict that will naturally arise from disagreeing with the official story and always leads to pain and/or loss. Pain and loss are to be avoided at all costs, or so that story goes, according to the teachers who in reality are grocery clerks fulfilling the agenda of the other side of all that is humane, right, real, compassionate, healing and spiritually enlightening.
Our minds are not very talented in exploring the depths of personal existence. Mostly, we flow through our days unaware. We do whatever we are doing with the comfortable idea that if we don't see it, it isn't there. When things happen, we like to put them off to coincidence because we don't understand how something came to be and we don't understand because we fail to perform the mental labor connecting unknowns to darker unknowns. When we finally get around to doing the heavy work, we are confronted with things we already suspected were taking place and find verification for our suspicions. Then we can say we know what happened with certainty, even though we already knew. We did not like what we would find which makes the work even harder. Its like a grisly job in a dangerous business and you want to get out as fast as possible. It seems that the faster you can return to perusing the glossy brochure of Coincidence the better off you will be since everyone else says its much more enjoyable there.
To travel with Coincidence Vacation Tours, you'll need steamer trunks of expensive stuff like your benzodiazepines, a wardrobe stylist and an image consultant, Jocko's personal physician and Angelo Mozilo's bible for better living. That could possibly deter the average unemployed, credit-riddled, pro-life citizen, however it has never been a real obstacle as the powerful masters of fictional realities know. They know beyond the shadows of doubt or coincidence you will get exactly what you deserve. They create fables out of thin air knowing some people will do anything to avoid the pain of mental labor and worse, damnation from their peers. Coincidence is an intentional avoidance mechanism. Many things are done with just that end in mind. Sometimes the detective work is easy and the criminal confesses, other times coincidence shields a death match.
Of course, there is plenty of coincidence in between those stark contrasts. Its the everyday coincidence that makes huge coincidence possible. Before you know it, everybody is doing it and getting away with it. Have you made a coincidence today? Hurry, its happening now in real time.
Verification word: humancause
As if we needed verification.
47 comments:
Intentionally came for a visit and by coincidence am the first commentor.
Thanks for welcoming me to the fun earlier.
turey.
Sheer coincidence! Heh, welcome back turey.
Sorry Nina, but my personal Diety is a Jungian with a deep affiliation with the great God Murphy. There are no coincidences.
You read the book at twelve that will give you the idea at twenty-five that saves you from a life of addiction despite Murphy's heavy salting of your genetics with such triggers. Odd things repeat in some people's lives that don't show up or get noticed in others.
It gets me started on the mystical powers of little-old-ladies in white sneakers. If I climbed Everest a bridge hand of little old ladies in white sneakers would march up the other, harder route, pass me and trot on down the mountain with a howdy and quick amorphism. They've done it to me in Death Valley, the deep Sierra backcountry, an Alaska power line road and god knows where else.
The internet is for porn. We aren't supposed to be here doing this. We're supposed to be shopping and twigging our frustrations with endless porn. Titty porn, kitty porn, puppy porn, whale porn, music porn, car porn, fabric porn, house porn, and porn statistics porn for people who get off on spreadsheets.
Look at US PERVERTS. We're trading ideas with each other and something ineffeble appears to be growing in the bits between our words. What the hell's wrong with us that we aren't looking at dangly bits and coach handbags?
Freaking creatives all of you. Insisting on sharing your petty ideas about "real worlds" beyond the image. Can't you just stick to the dangly bits? There's still space for you in the Matrix; come back. House is on daily re-runs.....
v-word: verkle
Hmm. Big topic of conversation between Mrs Z and myself about "WTF are we doing - are we REALLY going through with his?"
Upon giving notice that she was leaving her job, there were the suggestions to seek counseling and to "take the weekend to think about it". Pretty much a subtle "you're crazy". So when I saw this;
"some people will do anything to avoid the pain of mental labor and worse, damnation from their peers."
I was, of course, marveling at the coincidence!
The 'net can be a great training ground I believe. It is a place to try self-expression in a new and safer way that can hopefully carry over into real relationships. Or it can be an anonymous platform for all the stuff that we would never say or do if face-to-face with another human (like being behind the wheel and acting out - it seems "safe" somehow). You can act like a punk or engage in discussions that help to sort out deeply important shit. It all depends on your intentions, no?
Or, it can be that land of shiny things and a place of reinforcement for any whack notion one might find rolling around in the grey matter. I'm sure if you try hard enough, you could find someone out there in the intertubes to agree with and even endorse damn near any position one might assume. Hell, there might even be a mug or T-short available.
When I post at the HFC (Hamer Fan Club, a board that is dedicated to Hamer electric guitars. I'm trying here, Pangolin, and they dangle wonderfully from their straps!) it is no coincidence that I find others that share my opinions about the subject at hand. Hell, some guys have the exact same model as me! (well, I sold them all but you get it).
Got a whack notion or an axe to grind or new personal revelation? You'll find reinforcement in the web if you look hard enough. Blogging and surfing can be a great way to spin around in circles thinking you are growing and getting things done, but hopefully at some point the lack of anything REAL about it can drive one to take it to the next level and try the skills learned there in the real world (whatever that means). All of this is only MY experience, of course, I like to proudly say I have been television-free for 3 years now, but now I can (and do) spend hour after hour on the 'net surfing and commenting and blogging, and convince myself that something is getting done. The jury is still out on that one.
Z
wv: doodia
See Interpretation of Coincidence
[showing 2 of many points]
...Remarkable coincidences sometimes lead to theories involving the supernatural or psychic forces. Or the explanation that a person or persons intentionally acted and the coincidence is the evidence these actions – see conspiracy theories...
...Everything that occurs can be related to a prior cause or association, no matter how vast or how minute and trivial. All is impacted by something related to it that is seen or unseen, cognized or unknowable...
Magical original post from Nina and the usual treasures in the comments.
Thanks for the thinking, everyone.
(But why would anyone play one of those funny looking Hamer guitars when there are plenty of good looking, better sounding Fenders, Gibsons and Guilds, Zoner? [Just kiddin'.] LMAO!)
word verification: dingl
Man, I wish I was smart enough to figure out what words arranged in a particular sequence actually meant sometimes. I often feel like the uneducated HS dropout that I am when reading you guys.
I guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses, eh?
Yeah, Pangolin, porn is exactly the word used when my HFC brothers show off their latest acquisition. For some I imagine watching the Towers fall or "Shock and Awe" was a form of porn as well.
I'm funny looking, too, so Hamers are perfect.
Z
Nina_ That's just that old, tired "from similar originations, similar results will follow argument." Where's the fun in that? How can I claim mystic knowledge of divine guidance if it's simply available to everybody willing to perform the experiment?
How does that help me communicate how special I am?
OK, special pours off me like water over a waterfall but it's not cuddly special. More like hungry wild animal special. Or big, scary, laughing-buddha special.
Zoner_Hear's to us phun he lou keen hi s'cool drop oughts. I am one, two, as whelk's dropping bout of collage a phew thymes.
v-word: pruct (en da pudding?)
That's just it Pangolin, everybody isn't willing to perform an experiment. In this way, you will retain your uniqueness by default.
Put a photo up on your blog sometime so we can see this big, scary character you often mention, I find your self-descriptions impossible as you seem more like a real Pangolin.
Zoner, you are not seeing lofty heights of educated intellectualism as much as humor finely tuned through years of wisecracking on the keyboards. I'm not speaking so much for myself, although parody does not evade the posts, I am speaking for, ahem, whomever you meant by referring to "you guys".
However, your inate brilliance shines here: "My best to all. I'm sorry if that doesn't amount to much right now." That line alone obliterates this one: "Man, I wish I was smart enough to figure out what words arranged in a particular sequence actually meant sometimes. I often feel like the uneducated HS dropout that I am when reading you guys."
Nina, thanks for that. "You guys" was a poor choice, but the sentiment expressed very often applies to so many comments placed here and elsewhere. It's often like my school experience where after a few lines of reading a textbook a certain "glazing over" occurs and I find myself splitting in 2 so I can focus on more important things like the music in my head or the color of the sky out the window that beckons. Words on a page are among the most difficult things in the world for me to grasp because of the lack of any experience of the thing being written about. I get the concepts and often the emotion behind the expression, but most often it leaves me wondering what the hell I just read. So many worldly people with so much information and insight. It's all theirs, though, and can never be mine by simply reading about it. It's hard to pick up on the humor, or maybe better, the intention, without seeing the eyes of the person delivering. Intuition is all that is available here, since I am not accredited or licensed in any way and don't care to be. Someone referred to the "dancer's path" once and I'm totally cool with that notion, even though I can't dance (without a funny looking guitar strapped on, anyways).
I no longer feel bad about being a simple creature. It has become my "specialty", and I aim to go pro.
Z
wv; lvintin. Live intintionally? Les lives in a tin shack?
I saw that reference too, of course and appreciated it fully as the perfect counterweight it is.
I am too big scary character see.
Gotta go talk about plants now.....
v-word: eledio
damned ironic AI
Oh, very big and scary. With heavy photoshop crosshatching all over the place. I can barely see a rather kind and gentle face. :)
Shhh, the kind and gentle is a sneaky disguise for my evil plot to take over the world.
Mu ha ha ha ha
SF Mime troupe free show in 15 min. Bye. Urban life has it's privileges.
v-word: maniedo
Hi my friends! I am very tired and a bit under the weather, but I just wanted to say hi.
I went to the clinic yesterday to get some tests - tests I didn't want, but sometimes you gotta get poked by the needle in this world where we are mainly tests subjects (does this feed into Nina's post)?
Strangely, in the room I was led to, there sat a full syringe of something. The nurse came in, took my BP (I have the BP of a child, she said... I hope that's good) and then she asked if I'd like a flu shot.
I didn't order a flu shot. The full syringe lounging on the window will was a flue shot! I demurred, simply asking, "how much does that cost?" She didn't seem to have any idea.... variously confabulating about my insurance paying for it all, or $35, or $25 or something. "No thanks," I said.
I'm very glad I refused - not that there was a chance I'd get one of those useless shots (proven useless by much underplayed recent research).
Not long after leaving the clinic, I started to feel ill. I ended up in a different bedroom from my fair consort last night, twisting and turning, with chills and aches an pains. If I had accepted the shot, the immune reaction would have been crazy: I would really have been hurting.
This little virus I have made me experience some crazy emotions today: I felt hyper-alone, and I felt as though death were milling around outside... I felt like there was little meaning in the universe, as I tossed and turned in the middle of the night, and that feeling lingered over into today.
I felt as though I were wrestling with some kind of demon, and the only "place" that I felt I wanted to go was this blog: the idea of TV made my literally nauseated. Reading the web: same... shopping, ditto. I didn't want to do anything but sit by a river or lake, and feel the sun and breeze. But some lurking force tried to jump my bones in the clinic, and I just got out in time.
Just rambling nonsense.
Zoner: wow... you are very courageous. I want to see you again soon. I hope my crazy friends didn't annoy you: but you were no less nuts! And my wonderful nephew who was so disturbed by our ideas. He's in law school. Idealistic. Wonderful kid.
Wait a minute Publius, did you have to stay in the hospital overnight? If you were not at home with your wife, where else could you have been? I know you wanted to be at home. I understand how that feels. Now, are you better today? Did you have a reaction to whatever was possibly administered to you yesterday like any prescription meds?
Without your own computer you would not have my cell to call where I would have read you the new post and the comments and The Trout's post and Z's and Ran's and Pangolin's and Charles', all your peeps. Yes, I would do that for you in such circumstances. And posted for you too. Just so you know.
I'm sure you got a happy welcome home today! You are SO loved. Get well soon.
Re: Zoner's post: September 12, 2009 12:51:00 PM PDT
You had me howlin'!
You're funny AND smart.
(even if you DO prefer funny lookin' Framus guitars.)
Speaking of howling, please stop whatever you are doing right this minute and take a look at another side of Pirate Rick.
Reporting in:
I was NOT in the hospital. I was sequestering myself at home to avoid passing the germ on to my wife, and also because I was tossing and turning like a Mexican jumping bean!
The fever broke, I'm feeling good.
I'm putting heirloom lettuce seeds into a paper envelope for storage... then I will be husking beans to store (for planting. Not really enough to justify eating this year). It seems that such labor is enjoyable in certain stages of recovery from certain unknown bugs or germs or perhaps even psychosomatic ailments. It's strange I'd get ill just after leaving a clinic. Germs can't take over one's body that fast, can they?
So Ran has a new post? I'll check it out. I'm in the process of digitizing the Gordon Lightfoot album "Gord's Gold" for him. I'm behind schedule!
youre a cross between the oracle at fatima and an alpha timber wolf with a third eye. its not a coincidence i found my way here -the counterpoint of reason to the peers -your community is my comfort.
*sneaking over*
WV: "dumence" er, that doesnt bode well
no! it gave me another now.
pinglyco
get well soon publius!
-chickory
Publius! Glad that things are clearing for you physically, and I hope things get even better with another night's rest. Call me when you're ready to get together again.
Your friends and relative were all stellar, and that sort of gathering is very informative.
That was quite the coincidence regarding Spider John and Dave Ray and Tony Glover being a topic. Brought back some memories for sure.
Z
Here's a disturbing idea - what if all of us are being manipulated by microvolt assaults on our cerebral centers through the use of vacuum cleaners?
Or maybe orange roosters are going to infect the planet with Rose mold.
Hey! It's happened!
(Glad to hear you're fine, Publius.)
How about television commercials telling 98% of the population that they suck every 9 minutes, six hours per day, for sixty-five years?
Naaaah.
I prefer to master the obvious and leave the subtle for astrologers.
v-word: glooffic
Pangolin, its looking more and more like TV does exactly what you suggest. Its a nonstop statement viewers are the great unworthy, unwashed masses of suckers. Why would anybody go for it?
We drove through the flatlands last night coming back from a rockbuggy sundown with the dogs in the wilderness, too fabulous to begin to describe, and every little crackerbox forecloseable on a fifth of an acre parcel showed huge flat screen plasmas in glowing color. I wondered "Did they leave the shades open so they would be known to be in compliance?"
Wow arthur, that's pretty far out. We haven't seen any proof that those things are not happening.
You are presenting an excellent argument for keeping life simple and minimal. There was a time I had no possessions at all and it felt so good. But then various people kept gifting me with "things" and it became obvious that the drive of materialism is a confused replacement for giving of ourselves.
Hey, I have to credit TV for the providing the first clue about how things really were and where we were headed. It was a shocking event that made me mad and still echoes in my mind to this day.
"Twix bars. Two for me, none for you!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLgrT83roSs&feature=related
Z
WV; dearess
Publius, sometimes when we are in the recovery stage, it seems that we might have made ourselves go there just to experience the breath of life away from all the noise that made us ill in the first place.
I think you confronted your personal stance against the injection at the clinic and reacted physically. I think you got comfortable with yourself at that moment and required time out. And awakening from your "time out" you reached for supporting nature. Nice work. Smooth. Welcome back.
Well said Z. The clues have always been there.
BTW, was that your deletion?
Yes, the deletion was mine.
Z
"Wow arthur, that's pretty far out."
No more far out than what newspapers and television regularly instruct us to believe.
Life is absurd when you stand back and squint at it, ain't it?
word verification: equide
"Our minds are not very good at exploring the depths of personal experience."
This is so true, Nina. This entry was just freakin' great!
BTW, I was thinking of you while writing my entry for tomorrow, "Every Day Is Christmas in America (as long as you have credit)" hoping I could make you smile....
charles
Oops, forgot to mention synchronicity, which riffs off the previous poster's Jung reference....
There is a lot of synchronicity in events these days.
Example: I saw some honey bees in our veggie garden this year, for the first time in several years. That's a good sign. Hope lives, breathes, takes a sip of wine and smiles.
Charles_Assuming you peek back here check out the Urban Bee Garden in your neighborhood.
thank you, Pangolin. It seems I stumbled into seeking a bee garden without knowing it...
Hi Charles, its always a thrill to see you visit! Your entry, Every Day is Christmas, did a lot more than make me smile. It confirms our tragedy, and sent me on a long websearch I am just coming off now. There is a sudden notable absence of debtor stories, usually daily fare. This absence speaks for the faux recovery we're supposed to be experiencing despite unemployment and drops in income.
A Wapo census piece broke through the recovery barrier: Decade of Headway in Household Income Erased
Another clue laden item in today's LAT mentions a new credit rating system which portends impact:
Vantage rating system
While the Costco site is spectacular, as in a car wreck, overwhelming is a better description, with caskets, patriotic floral wreaths and the last word in nauseating collectibles, what it says about the future is no matter how financially impacted, no matter how deeply despairing and beaten down, this isn't going to change. The message is just not being recognized at the very level where it counts the most. We are in too deep. We are forced to experience endless reruns of shabby pretense until we leave this planet, nickle and dimed to death.
I'd like to think that your essay today provokes as much deep concern as you sent my way. But I gave up on "hope" and "belief" a long time ago as destructive advertisements furthering the great deception of western civilization.
But still, Charles, the honey bees in your garden balance out all the above, for them we are saved, sort of.
Wow, I love this phrase: "endless reruns of shabby pretense" and wish I'd written it! That's why I come to visit--you capture the entire essence of our disease in just the right phrases.
Your description of Costo made me laugh out loud--it's so pitch-perfect.
As for the bees: yes. It's the old comic line: "why are we here?"
(deep philosophic question)
answer: "'cause the plants need co2."
So true.
Oh and I meant to tell you! Speaking of synchronicities, our Labor Day was spent hanging a new front door, POA is just a one hand master on his Skil77. And the router, too, I took pics for a future entry. I was jumping up and down with excitement seeing your essay, skills and skil77 and really being right there! It was all happening at once like a priceless jam of the craftsmen greats.
This is where I jump in a give a plug to Hida Tool Company in Berkeley CA. They sell real japanese hand saws and garden tools that do the job right and easily.
Sometimes there is no cord, no power and no generator. It's good to have a basic set of hand tools, drill, saw, chisel, mallet, kama, hatchet, and axe. Practice with them and make sure you keep them clean and oiled.
In particular I would suggest the
Seikouba Brand Sickle Thick Blade (a heavy kama) for bramble and vine management.
Watch that edge. They come razor sharp out of the box. Mine has a few nicks in the blade after 16 years use but is still very sharp.
v-word: lationsm
Thank you, good tips Pango, for all our people setting out to build their new lives around the lakes area and distant parts unknown. Do they have catalogues and do they ship?
They used to have a paper catalog; I haven't seen one in some time. They do have online shopping and shipping available.
While many of these tools are available elsewhere this collection represents the best quality for price available from top to bottom. I purchased $10 folding saw there once that is a wonder to use. Smooth, light and fast it's always in my go bag.
Warning to tool freaks; prices go up fast. There's an $180 vegetable knife on the site that I'm sure is worth every penny.
A final note; these tools can be used as patterns by your local blacksmith. They were designed and perfected by a culture that was short of iron and charcoal so they are built to a minimalist and utilitarian standard that works.
If I were a poet I'd combine skill77, synchronicity and the joys of Japanese handsaws into one poem. But alas...
Pangolin:
Thanks for the link to Hida tools!
I'm drooling... do I buy food or Japanese wood-working tools now?
I'll probably start with a saw.
And a red tee shirt with that beautiful Japanese illustration for Eero.
Post a Comment