D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

new world shopping

I dread going into town, leaving the safety of my paints and the animals, braving the hairpin turns still patched with ice from last weekend's freak snowstorm. The only reason that I make the trek is almost always for my Guinea Pig's needs. Everyone else makes do as I do or fends for themselves. The way I see it is the Guinea Pigs are trapped in a cute little world imitating nature that isn't natural to that which their bodies, responses and abilities are designed because imperialist invaders denied them freedom on the Andes Plains by taking many of them as booty back to their home countries where they were overbred and bloated into exotic trophy pets. Compared to us, my Guinea Pigs have it pretty good.

My first stop then was the feed store where they are down to one employee and no longer order our needs in bulk. They had nothing I wanted. The employee remarked that this town's two other feed stores closed their doors this month. I went across the road to the ridiculous pet supply specializing in various pet fashions and melamine tainted treats to find not only do they not carry hay anymore for the live, tightly caged rodentia on sale there, they refused to exchange, credit or refund a faulty dog collar I'd purchased only a week ago. Hmmm, I thought, tough times indeed.

Continuing on, I passed up the surcharges at the convenience postal store and headed to the real post office. It wasn't the latest ruling on sealing tape or the new fees that got me, it was the mood in the parking lot, no one bothers to look behind them when they back out of a spot anymore. Its a sort of thuggish "get out of my way" driving style en masse that could cost you heavily if you know what I mean.

Next was the big metal box store, a bizarre job lot of mixed merchandise such as high-end toaster cozies and off-brand electronic toys that they like to shove out into the sticks. I was looking for parsley seeds to grow my own for the Guinea Pigs. Why they wanted my email address to make a 79 cent cash purchase is unknown to me. I declined which would have turned into a lengthy discussion leading nowhere with the hypnotized cashier except my horoscope that morning advised me to remain cool for the day. It appeared to work. Yes, I felt sorry for her, nothing else to do, the entire cavernous space devoid of consumers, no doubt she's got deeper concerns.

Outside the window wall was a person in a turquoise satin Statue of Liberty costume looking like the wired-up, bad apple victims, waving around a huge "hot pizza cheap" sign to no one, no one at all.

OK, last stop was the food megaplex. I don't need to tell you what has happened to the prices in the span of one week. I will merely remark on the sudden disappearance of cashiers causing thirty or forty carts to jam up at the three attended registers. What happened to Customer Convenience? What happened to the music? I used to stroll down these very aisles label-reading to the muffled mellow strains of Human Touch. And where are those TVs at the register lines that used to soothe the savages with Harriet Nelson instructions on preparation of processed meals for your busy loved ones? Did you know that the magazine covers are now featuring photo lineups of the "stars" with headliners Guess Who's Pregnant? I must not be the general public, I thought, UFOs were more interesting...

The roads are growing weeds in the pavement. Massive construction projects abandoned. No endearing scenes of grazing cattle because the ranchers went broke and redistributed their pastures. Lands sit fallow at the height of planting season. Skeletons of almond trees tremble in the breeze.

We are now less than pet Guinea Pigs trapped in a faux reality. We will continue to deteriorate until the situation is addressed with truth and dealt with realistically. It is simply not possible to return to that which was impossible to sustain. Its over. Gone. Done. Even if the truth is shouted from the headlines of every media outlet, the People have lost trust. What comes next is going to be the real proof of the American character. Will we wimp out in dungeons? Try to make do borrowing soap in tent cities? Walk the back roads of what once was, all alone in the dark looking to nest for a night or three? I've got that old feeling you're leaving ...

19 comments:

Zoner said...

Whew, that made me shiver a little.

And smile as well. Thank you.

word verification: worsti

Not even close I'll bet.

Headin' for the hills.

Love,

Z

psychegram said...

And the tumbleweed blows on down the street....

It's one thing to read it in the paper, another to hear eyewitness reports from the front lines.... Things aren't nearly that bad up here. I don't think, anyhow. Even on a weekday you still see shoppers in the downtown ... though I haven't been out to the big box stores.

And what's with the grocery stores laying off cashiers? What, people are gonna have to stop eating?

Right.

nina said...

The big supermarket chains were crowded round the clock 365 days a year. We used to joke about signs they put up advertising their compassionate approach to humans.
"We will be open on New Year's Day for our customers' convenience."
OR
"We will be closed until noon on Christmas Day for our employees' convenience."
Actually, I kind of liked the one I was posting about because one Christmas Eve, out of the blue, the entire store, and me too, burst into Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer, all verses, all the way through. Everybody hugged everybody else. It was a great moment.
But the moment is over.

nina said...

Allow me to announce that our dear friend Z, aka Zoner, aka Chris, has started a blog on this very day!!! Congratulations Z. He is going to blog his roadtrip from the cold northern midwest all the way to the thrills of the big sky out west and do what everyone else is afraid to do. Create a new and better life for the Z family.
May gratitude and compassion be your guiding angels, Z. Jah Guide.

Susannah said...

Wow Nina,
God I felt every sentence in that piece. Feel absolutely flattened by your experience and what must be the reality of millions.
The American Dream was basically nothing but narcissistic consumerism which has stripped resources and created a false sense of need.
A new dream is needed. A dream whereby human potential can be realised.
With no dreams then existence becomes like a gloomy sci fi movie filmed in darkness, devoid of human spirit.
I feel kind of guilty that I have never purchased any food for my eekers. In summer they have been living off grape leaves, mulberry leaves, grass, lucerne, carrots, apples, broccoli - basically whatever we eat, they get sections of before cooking. In winter it gets more difficult but then they go on porridge's mixed with grass and such. And those lucerne pellets.
Glad you are back home with your pets and paints.

nina said...

Su, I am going to be thinking about what you've said here. You've captured something important with many provoking applications.

One thing right away that I note is what you are saying about the Dream, is the reason I am attracted to certain scenes which show up here in watercolor.
We've been here before. The way out this time will be the way out last time which is to forget the lessons and blunder on.

Sending love and fur smoothings to your freedom tribe.

Anonymous said...

Nina,
You hit on the word I have been looking for to describe us all--
TRIBE!!!!!

Perfect--
Jim (Jj)

psychegram said...

Thanks for letting us know about Z's new blog, nina!

And Z, man, be not shy! Else how shall we know of such developments? We're not telepathic!

Yet.

nina said...

Heh heh, but soon ...

nina said...

mister JIM Jjay, is everything as ok, ok as it can be in these times, in your world? You have been lying low. We get concerned, you know. Speaking of tribes and all ...
Love, nina

Anonymous said...

Nina,
I am a man of mystery....like the wind baby...like the wind....
Always leave them wanting more......lol
A few bumps recently that needed attention....

Jim Jj Jimbo Jimnasium Jimbabwe Jimlicious Jimcarnate or, as I was known in my sailing days--Bimini Jim--
A Rose by any other name....

I especially like the color and pattern on the two horizontal boards between the branches on your latest piece---

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

nina said...

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ that was the best post you ever wrote. Ahahahahaaha

nina said...

Su said: ...The American Dream was basically nothing but narcissistic consumerism which has stripped resources and created a false sense of need....

A False Sense of Need: Think

Wynona Ryder,
Annette Yeomans,
the obesity epidemic,
hypochondriacs and health insurance,
Anna Nicole,
Derivatives...
It reads like intentional mass- induced consumerism peaking out of control. These things are not generally connected, but they all share the root of imaginary entitlement. "Go ahead, take all you want, there's lots more where that came from." This kind of thinking obliterates self-control.
The failing of the American Dream did not begin with just subprime loans, either. What we're really experiencing is more like the bitter fruits of NAFTA combined with an unprecedented flood of illegals, although it can be said the illegals are just another extension of NAFTA.

su said...

The American Nightmare actually started some time in the 50's - when all those labour saving devices were sold as spiritual salvation.
Then when everyone had every conceivable appliance available, education became the next consumerist craze to the extent that you had this highly educated labour force with so much expertise that everyone was dispensable. So you had to work longer hours, and even taking leave could result in retrenchment.
I mean I sometimes watch American movies and they show high school campuses and the cars high school kids drive and I am just smacked over.
I somehow landed up watching Sex in the City last night. Don't ask me how. After 40 minutes all three kids (who are severely entertainment deprived) said this was just too superficial for words and left. I pioneered for another twenty minutes hoping for redemption but there was none. This self absorbed emptiness that is filled by shopping and purchasing designer clothes - seems to still draw many people to its clutches.
Over the years I have tried not to whack the kids on the head too much by negating stuff - it is human after all to desire. But what I do point out to them is that the happiness they derive from the stuff never, lasts more than a very short while.
My mantra on the subject is the fulfillment of one desire simply leads to another desire. Best end all desires. In the ideal world anyway.
Nice to catch up with de tribe again. Back off to the garden to spread the manure.

Anonymous said...

An observation--what was sold was spirituality (the church variety) as a labor saving device--just make a donation, put a quarter (or rand) into the anointing jukebox and a song made especially for you will fill your ears--
and, if you pray, there are three variables--god will say yes, no, or wait--well, no shit, what other "answers" could there be--it's a magicians trick--
Karma: is it another trap or excuse to make people think they have no choice in living the shitty life they are currently living, or is it simply a continuation on another "time continuum", where we are responsible for our actions--simple as that, but according to whose rules?
Is it "original sin" all over again--is there just another illusion that of course can't be proven like all the others--I think of all the baggage and bullshit that has fallen by the wayside along this journey--what will be tossed next--again, in the letting go, we gain--
Dick Cheney believes in what he is doing every bit as much as we believe in what we are doing--
Maybe we are just a "Sex In The City" time slot for celestial TV viewers like "The Truman Show"--wouldn't surprise me--
I don't currently believe in all the Karma stuff--that may change--
I am too significant to be a part of a cosmic TV show--even one as long running as this one--it is so, because I say it is so--

Jim (Jj)
I posted at Origami and would like to hear what you have to say--

Susannah said...

Jj,
I don't believe in karma.
It's probably all a dream anyway.
And apologies to the tribe for the pontification about consumerism. Will go and check your post on Origami.
What the bleep do I know about anything.
A few years ago a Norweigan woman came to the village. She was one of the first westerners allowed residence in Ladakh. She showed video footage of these people in the most beautiful valleys, entire families working the land, tending the babies, there was something so magnificent captured in these images. Probably the absolute simplicity of life. And then the west came in and told these people they were poor, where were the coca cola fridges and the nike shoes? And the people started to believe they were poor because they did not have this western stuff. So they left their valleys and moved into the towns. The final scene was of a concrete collection of housing, devoid of windows, devoid of the colour green. No soul anyway. But this is where the wealthy lived. That is those that had stuff. And life in the valley where the treasure of humanity lived was lost to many.
And what they gained was something so pernicious and destructive in that the more you got the more you needed. And instead of planting and harvesting, you were tv licencing, passporting, paying bills, purchasing, protecting, avoiding, with very little experiencing.
Anyway, have done 120 bucketfuls of manure so far in anticipation that those fat white objects in the sky are going to release their precious cargo.

And Nina, that painting on top is soul food. Thank you for the nourishment sister from anoder moder.

Anonymous said...

Su: If there was a heaven, and people got there, it wouldn't be long before someone said:
"yeah, but"
Maybe it's more like the Beatles "instant karma"--but then again, it can't be because these people live their whole lives to control and destroy and other than disease, etc. they end up the same way the person with nothing does--
Karma is just another twist on the same pretzel--
It's just not in me to control another--but then again, the one who tries to control me is in for a surprise--
Please send us a picture of you with a manure bucket on top of your head--african style--lol
Someone will end up calling you a shithead though-----but it won't be me--lol

Anonymous said...

"Current reality has become impossible and continues to lose credibility. We must be outsiders, never represented, investing nothing in the death march we are expected to reproduce. The ultimate pleasure lies in destroying that which is destroying us, in the spirit of the Situationists, who, when asked how they were going to destroy the dominant culture, replied, "In two ways: gradually at first, then suddenly."
--John Zerzan, "We All Live in Waco," 1993, in "Running on Emptiness: The Pathology of Civilization" Feral House, 2002.

nina said...

If you are going to post here regularly, and I see you are leaning toward doing so, your opinions are welcome. I declared this place a free speech zone from the start. But you need a name so we can converse. How 'bout Tex? Like it? Maybe you already have a name you like better? You seem like a good "Tex" to me and you seem to have serious things to say.