It was easily three weeks ago I was doing my usual, walking the Hound. It was an extended period of multiple tests, one after another, coinciding with each other, piling on one another, you might be experiencing the same thing, my mind stretched grid-like in the demonstrations arising, working out the balancing act required to meet each one, confidently, making the most of each as they were presented and recognized for what they were. The Hound snatched something nasty from the bushes at night and whomped it down before I could inspect. He became ill, of course. In the course of getting him to the vet, the rockbuggy would have to be charged and a new starter meant getting to the car guy. These are classic everyday tests we experience in overpopulation, nothing is as it would be today if only ... You may have noticed these tests come in bunches. Certainly someone, or one key element, along the chain of multiple tasks required would flake and more, each test required it be done correctly in order to proceed to the next. As soon as it came to me the combination of dog, vet and auto mechanic was a test and the scenery and cast were all part of the demonstration, all doubt vanished. And still, I barely know my way around in this place. Driving around is always a sort of hunt and peck affair, but its small here in my quadrant and with enough time, you can reach whatever destination you want. I was up to the challenge. As a person who has lived jungle and rural for half of their life, to find my way around a complicated maze of ramps and overpasses in that special searching style explains my lack of interest in knowing where anything else is located, with the exception of what it is I want to find within every sector of post NWO structures, or would that be Neo-NWO, whale-gulping our Mother's resources in every skinflint shape and flavor. I refused the GPS app for a similar reason, why do we need this shit? GPS addicts tell me how fabulous and convenient are these talking beltway devices, but they should know better by now. I would take offense, if such a thing were possible, except I can't be offended by not being interested in mass consumer hypnotics to quiet the methane-belching cattle.
There are some days or nights or both that run by us magically in their perfection. Its as if you were looking at a tapestry of the hours woven as it happens, where the yarns, blending colors and weave explain it all in seamless mesh, as one activity naturally leads to another, each demonstration sweetly paves the way into the middle of the next. The Pup is cool now thanks to his vet who did what I wanted her to do and relinquished her own plan for dog te$ting and just handed over the goodies. I'd done my homework online. The rockbuggy took us there because 1) I got an unexpectedly easy charge for the battery, and 2) the car guy did his replacement at the speed of, heh, light.
There's more, two beat up strays were hanging around the 'hood during this same period. You could see they'd had it rough and for a long time. Various neighbors were leaving out food and water, but not taking them in. It was pretty cold too. I worried about their nights, under bushes, escaping the MAN, but the way they were roaming around the houses after dark said they were hungry, tired of exposure to the elements and in need of family. My own pup was worried too. For him, the message was loud and clear. I called a friend who has adoption connections and was told if I could bring them to her, she would get them medical attention. Ah ... the test took a sudden turn. I'll save some space here and just mention they now live permanently in a nice big heavily-fenced house with dog door, huge backyard and pool and are brushed, bathed and putting on weight, best of all, they are cherished. You might think I denied them their freedom, but the city kill shelter is reportedly worse than Abu Graib. The same people who would call the dogcatcher, and there are multitudes of them, are the same patriotic Roundup Ready racist fringe who are devoted to their version of cleanliness is Godliness.
The list of tests goes on, those I mentioned were important, but apparently not final. The tests are actually life, why we are here. Sometimes, a test will appear as minor, the reason for that is to gauge your ability to acknowledge they are tests. To use a TAO-like balancing example, without awareness of what it is that is taking place on a higher level, there is no understanding at all, i.e.; ignorance. Further, failing a challenge that you arranged, attaches itself to your core, negatively, from negativity into certain defeat and self pity.
An interesting test is giving small sums, if it is done compassionately, without expectation of reward such as currying favor or calculating return, there is no element of debt which changes everything that the recipient was preparing himself to feel badly about in advance of asking for what it was he needed. There is a beautiful Universe that exists where expectation and anticipation, rewards and dishonor are erased from the activity. There is no hypocrisy, no building of pre- and post-fabricated animosity. It can be for some a very difficult test especially in overpopulation, everyone you know running short of funds and thus quickly friendless, rampant corruption all around and the fear of being labeled with trash nicknames behind their backs. It works both ways when done wrong, the giver is a sucker and the taker is a deadbeat.
I well remember being so crazy hungry I actually called home collect, thousands of miles away, to beg, and looked down at the Lower East Side street beneath my bare feet before the call connected and staring back at me was a twenty lying on the pavement. In terms of demonstrations and tests, the message was clear and it was multipart on numerous levels, all of them corrections and lasting lessons. None of them forgotten to this day, especially the part about the futility of dwelling so intensely on fear of the future. Given awareness, all works out as it was designed.
Just because I am posting about beautiful things such as tests in no way negates the egregious, bloody happenings "out there". The time has arrived to make serious plans to secure a more survivable future. As a reminder, I am reposting Scrapwood's contribution of T'ao Ch'ien's After Liu Ch'ai-Sang's Poem ...
I'd long felt these mountains and lakes
beckoning, and wouldn't have thought twice,
but my family and friends couldn't bear
talk of living apart. Then one lucky day
a strange feeling came over me, and I left,
walking-stick in hand, for my western farm.
No one was going back home: on those outland
roads, farm after farm lay in empty ruins,
but our thatch hut's already good as ever,
and you'd think our new fields had been
tended for years. When valley winds turn
cold, spring wine eases hunger and work,
and though it isn't strong, just baby-girl
wine, it's better than nothing for worry.
Distant -- as months and years pass away here,
the bustling world's racket grows distant.
Plowing and weaving provide all we use.
Who needs anything more?
Away, ever away into this hundred-year life and
beyond, my story and I vanish together like this.
35 comments:
Bless you for acting on behalf of the strays, Nina. I recall an occasion where you came face-to-face with a human in similar distress, and that you may have had mixed feelings about "inserting" yourself due the potential for personal danger, and now again a chance to make a choice arrives. No judgement, just an observation of the "process".
Testing, testing.....
Indeed.
I refuse to allow my new driver child to use GPS. There is value in learning how to get where you need to go without total dependence upon "devices', which, not surprisingly, are frequently wrong in directing or do not know the most efficient way.
How else does on become familiar with their surroundings? Besides, there is something creepy about that robot voice barking out turns and such.
Now again without employment to rob my energy, I hope to "catch up" a bit here.
Nice to "see" you again!
Z
Wow Z, you "saw" alright! Of course, I didn't see it at the time, but there's a long thread of continuity behind those tests. Many thanks for your insight.
We always found our ways around without being chained to a robot. Just more expensive bs permeating our sad culture. SURI's true place is in stuffed toys like Mickey Mouse that when you pull his string says More cheese please.
My beloved father, the aviator, used to give me the most wonderful navigational information whenever we toured and come to think of it, this including our sailing adventures out of sight of land.
So goodbye SURI, we don't need you and never did.
Delicious you visited. So grateful.
Everyday encountering demons and Buddhas:
well-worn strategies and habitual maneuvers attempted
ultimately abandoned in the process of genuinely
opening to ourselves and our lives
awareness is the first step
"To return to the root is to find meaning
to pursue appearances is to miss the source"
Line from the Hsin Hsin Ming
"penetrtrate the source and travel the pathways;
embrace the territory and treasure the road"
Line from Song of the Jewel Mirror Samadhi
So perfectly at the heart of this post is that comment Scrap, you've inspired a new feature on the homepage, neil's memorial.
in the solomon islands they are down to one old guy who knows the ancient sea-faring canoe ways. He can sense the position of islands by the wave vibrations on the hull and by some kind of refracted light down in the water bouncing off islands, each with there own visual signature. He can also move storms out of the path of voyaging boats he is on. the anthopologist who is raising money to start training the kids before the 50,000 year old culture is lost mentioned that now inter-island freighter service is getting more and more spotty as diesel fuel becomes less affordable with the consequence that people lived a lot better trade-wise under the old canoe transport system....when they got to the island to interview the guy they had to wait a whole week for the government official to find a way to get there to give them official permission to step on the island.
A shame they didn't step on the island without permission. The fines would have gotten a lot of eager kids started in canoeing. But unfortunately, my experience with these "rules" showed the fines always go into the wrong pockets and if you should dare complain, the wicked hex is cast upon your vessel.
Zoner, yesterday after your comment, a lost child was put into my hands, we walked for about a half mile to his building which he described as "brown", I was pretty sure where it was from my dogwalks. Oh, he had his Mom's cellphone number, but he had no phone and has only lived here less than a week, yet was told to walk home from his first day at his new middle school, His lips were quivering, on the verge of crying, when he tried to explain why he came up to me.
He got home safely, it was the right building, I showed him the street signs and the various structures to remember on our way there. Knowing NSEW also is seriously important.
It is always best to know the lay of the land on our own. I was thinking while he and I walked that your daughter will never find herself in that boy's position.
Oh, I can hear you, God, above the cry
Of the tossing trees—
Rolling your windy tides across the sky,
And splashing your silver seas
Over the pine,
To the water-line
Of the moon.
Oh, I can hear you, God,
Above the wail of the lonely loon—
When the pine-tops pitch and nod—
Chanting your melodies
Of ghostly waterfalls and avalanches,
Washing your wind among the branches
To make them pure and white.
Wash over me, God, with your piney breeze,
And your moon’s wet-silver pool;
Wash over me, God, with your wind and night,
And leave me clean and cool.
Lew Sarett (b. 1888)
Masterpieces of Religious Verse (1948) # 298
ed. James Dalton Morrison
Bless you, Nina. A lucky child to be placed, even temporarily, in your care.
Z
Hello Nina .....am I projecting or am I feeling a thick anxiety pervading Americana?......every day is a challenge!.........
onelove.....
You are right Terrance, I see it too.
Thank you for bringing it up. Its real.
Oh, Nina, what a beautiful post. I think we all needed that. The comments are all beautiful as well.
I never really thought of "tests" much. Probably because I hate to fail, and a lot of tests might mean a lot of failures. Also, who is testing? What would perfection be? If I do the right thing, but my heart is troubled and I am angry and cursing the whole time, is that success or failure? I am confused.
But, if you mean tests to be like lessons from which we learn by evaluation of our thoughts and actions, then I can see that it is an integral part of awareness.
Plus, it empowers the moment by focusing awareness on the current situation. Good one for the mental toolbox.
"The Mother is with you strongly now, Ms. Skywalker. Put away your navigation computer and trust the force."
It does seem like we are approaching the Death Star, or is it just me?
Nina
Got to throw my 2 cents in here.
I really like your post, conformation of how I deal with life most of the time. Problem is way too many tests at times, I get overwhelmed. But, it works out, I'm not dead yet.
Great post, and feelin' it like everyone here says. Seems to be 5-6 tests/day minimum. Really intense full moon yesterday and days leading up, but been able to sing and drum through most of it. Kinda my only strategy left. Cutting way down on my internet intake, just mostly blogs from female scribes and the good medicine kind. Just happens to be the way it is. Clear personal focus seems most important, and where to put psychic energy.
>onelove<
Two cents for those who hava world anxiety:
You are what you think (your world view too)
All that you are arises with your thoughts
With your thoughts you make your world
― Gautama Buddha, The Dhammapada: The Sayings of the Buddha
Great read from Julia Butterfly hill. gives you faith in how the universe works
http://juliabutterflyhill.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/gifts-hidden-in-pain/
In case anyone was wondering about the title of T'ao Ch'ien's "After Liu Ch'ai-Sang's Poem", the reason for that is - in his time, there was a group of devout Chinese poets in friendly competition with each other. Each one's work inspired the others. Beautiful, yes?
Would someone here be interested in explaining the concept of demonstrations and tests? As I see it, it is a sort of take on the idea, widely held in certain circles, that all is pre-ordained, but that is where comparisons end because our free will superimposes actions and behaviors over what was designed, as the Universe and our Living Planet are the true teachers and all of it created by the Master Force who goes by various names, my personal favorite being JAH. Praises.
Not everyone who visits me reads Visible Origami, Visible says it so much better than I could ever even attempt.
And the tests keep coming, the Full Moon took me on an absurd quest with spikes on the highways of every hour. Now, its damage control time.
My gratitude to all who commented after I thought we were done. In retrospect, I suggest the latest 911 impacted the flow, although there are many levels of 911s going on around us every day.
MUCH LOVE
I believe that our possible futures are constantly shifting, and that our decisions are based on our various backgrounds and psychologies. Whether Everything is predetermined is hard for me to say – it seems like if it were, life might seem fruitless – if it is, at least thinking we have a choice might be all we need. However, to control the Tao is not our job either “Trying to control the future is like trying to take the master carpenter’s place.”
But I do believe that within the Flow of things, within the Tao, exists the choice that will ultimately lead to the most harmonious outcome. We work with knowledge of the Tao, allowing it to guide us, not being too attached to the desired outcome. Finding the most harmonious path and allowing it to guide, is what I call ‘Surfing the Tao’ – yet I concede that for many of us, making such choices may require a ‘revolution’ of our (perceived) free will, since it may be against popular notions of ambition and wealth.
I am no different from you guys. I just keep searching for what is the real truth and that is an image that keeps changing. My focus is simple, just tell the truth and get ready to go back where I came from, probably sooner than I expect the way things look :) Freeacre seems to be seeing a lot of what I am seeing also.
Aldous Huxley more and more is showing up big for me.
“The real hopeless victims of mental illness are to be found among those who appear to be most normal.
“Many of them are normal because they are so well adjusted to our mode of existence, because their human voice has been silenced so early in their lives, that they do not even struggle or suffer or develop symptoms as the neurotic does.”
They are normal not in what may be called the absolute sense of the word; they are normal only in relation to a profoundly abnormal society. Their perfect adjustment to that abnormal society is a measure of their mental sickness.
These millions of abnormally normal people, living without fuss in a society to which, if they were fully human beings, they ought not to be adjusted.” -Aldous Huxley, Brave New World Revisited
Just my two scents (sic):
The next question that, to me, naturally follows is - Who is testing whom?...or Who is demonstrating what, for whom?
Is it I&I being tested, or a false self?
I just can't concern myself with such concepts of 'testing' or 'demonstration', or rather I don't find them useful. I have dealt with individuals and a local 'spiritual' institution for over 20 years that likes to abuse people and use such terms as a 'spiritual excuse'. I believe all of our experience is spiritual. And also my question is who the hell is there judging and grading our 'performance'? I've seen the dangers and hypocrisy of the 'testing game' up close and personal, and it's ugly.
Life experiences come to us and we have choices as to how we respond and consider their significance. They could be karmic, astrological, devic/elemental, resulting from our spiritual practices, or from many other sources, but they nevertheless allow us to examine deeper levels of our Self and our relationships to all things 'other', which to me is the essence of our journey here.
onelove
I don't identify much with the ... for lack of a better description, the "we are going to wake them up theory." Honestly we can only wake up ourselves. Believing people are going to wake up and change things seems a far off view to me. Of course on this interwebz we all notice at times some people begin to honestly question all of the lies they believed in all of their lives. That of course is refreshing.
All of us are on a certain spiritual, emotional and intellectual plane which was arrived at gradually and possibly over aeons. I don't think there are sudden promotions in this process.
In Buddhism they say there are 24 spiritual planes. I kind of believe this to be true. I could not imagine some Brahmin checking on a couple of rungs below him and exclaiming ... we have to wake these guys up. The though causes me to smile though.
I am not above tossing a few barbs at what I view as utter hypocrisy once in awhile though as I think most of us have noticed a certain tidal wave of evil ongoing when it comes to this planet.
Of course it always gets my attention when someone announces their "Kundalini" has been awakened. We would not be alive if the Kundalini were not awake to some degree or another. Some seem to mistake a gradual awareness in themselves for cosmic consciousness which is very different.
I have seen a few people like this and none of them used the internet much however they knew pretty much all that was going on in the earth plane. I haven't seen anyone like this on the internet. I am talking about people like Cayce who could actually know what was coming in the future, heal people by actually knowing what their aura was all about.
I am quick enough to know my Kundalini is not fully awakened. I don't rule out however this could not change almost instantaneously due to a sudden burst of energy from sun or space. Now that would be a real black swan event.
Quest, rather than test?
Who is to test, and who is to 'grade'. Is it not all a personal journey? To some purpose which to me is that of Dharma or Authenticity?
I ask the questions as the concept of 'testing' in a spiritual life personally makes no sense. Questing makes a whole lot of sense.
How about "challenges"?
I don't know what to call these experiences, really, but there are situations taking place that work out very well or fail. In retrospect, meeting the challenges in a manner where everybody is working in positive synchronicity is the onemind/onelove showing itself.
Shadows and Echoes of the Mind
States of mind are delusions
The Way is about being free of delusions
The mind and body are one not two
Drinking a cup of tea, eating, shitting, it doesn't matter it's all the Way.
Daily life is the essence of Practice
It is not something you study, something you analyze.
These words are just delusion
Wake up to the real mind, the original mind, the mind free of delusions
I always rest my mind on non-being in my daily life so that I can contemplate the subtlety of Tao.
I always rest my mind being in my daily life so that I can contemplate the outer fringe (or evolution) of Tao.
Being and non-being are really the same;
They have different names only after they are mutually produced.
The unity of being and non-being is called hsuan (Mystery).
To contemplate more deeply and profoundly on the hsuan (i.e., the unity and identity of being and non-being) so that even the contemplating mind is completely forgotten,
This is the door of all subtleties.
Tao-te ching
Demonstrations and tests. Seems like games played, and narratives that emerge to play back into.
So, if sympathetic magic has come to that, but that is just a machine version of replaced intincts, that is the real Catch 22 of this place.
Not all that go dark attempt to buy Time, and destroy Space, some just do not get to keep any frame of reference that holds to Art. That is just some pile of rocks, maybe a magpie, I do not make the damn rules.
Now, Red Elk is gone, he was here from the start, it is hard sometimes to not cause trouble.
Your logo art as of late has been riding around in my head. As always it is real but finding words to relate is hard to do. I find the latest quite tasty.
Scrap
Buddha in Sunlight
Red Hawk
Our old dog lies on the front porch in sunlight.
He moves as the sun moves, follows it
along the porch, rising slowly, never
going further than is necessary
to stay within the warm curve of worship.
He yawns, scratches, sheer minimalist,
conservation of energy. This morning
a rabbit hopped into the yard,
nibbling clover.
He lifted his head, eyed it for a moment,
then lowered his head,
closed his eyes.
This is what Buddha taught:
take no interest
in the arising of thought.
The sun moves off the porch;
he descends delicately the way
a nude descends from her bath, and
he finds a place in the grass.
The rabbit nibbles away,
undisturbed.
Let it be, Buddha said;
it will settle
itself.
Thank you Neal, I really like that piece. For them both, both Buddhas, there is great comfort and wisdom in familiarity.
Its a repost Scrapsan, just another slice of beautiful California. The whole place is found art waiting for an artist.
Another way we are simpatico.
Ah, a correction: Buddha in Sunlight was submitted by Scapwood. The mistake is entirely mine.
n.
Paddling is a most efficient means of transport. The purest form of the sport exists in the Adirondak mountains in a land known as the 46 ponds near Lake Clear junction N.Y.. It is very amusing to paddle dozens of ponds with the connecting carries over the course of a day.
New post up: we can do this now
Post a Comment