We are in a precarious stage at the present. It is a malevolent present, portending worse to come and this attitude is fully accepted as the way it is, as if we are caught helplessly in some satanic vice squeezing out our ability to self-resurrect. Everyday we go through the motions, in freefall designed by ourselves for self-preservation while completely unknown to ourselves as the architects of our experience. Nothing we do has impact on the mass psychosis of the present while everything we do is consciously performed to create our perceived version of what route the future takes. Everyone has their crutches. Some garden extensively, others meditate or count on whatever saving grace is available to them to reroute their tomorrows and when tomorrow becomes today did it help or was it just more whirling in freefall while time marched on?
![]() |
| Migrant workers housing Weedpatch government camp, watercololor on Arches |
I'm in agreement with bholanath who commented last week on the flexible timetable of prophecy. What we have here is a steadily deteriorating situation without foreseeable schedules. Name one edict, one plan, one rollback or reform that halts the onslaught of worse. You see, once it started it could not be stopped and here we are in growing lunacy contrary to all things good and right. I don't have any answers as nonspecific thunder rumbles in the background with lightening bolts scattering over any sequestered region/s self-possessed and sustainable under most conditions, but let me welcome you to the new conditions. Oh, its official. These are the new conditions and so much worse is on the way I cannot imagine it. I've tried. So embroiled in what was are we that what is to come has no reality. Must we delve into corruption to be decent? When everything appears to be heading into chaos, must we too be chaotic? Scrambling for breathing room, dirty dealing, concealing our one true deepest and inescapable motive, that of our own survival? No. J'objecte!
Aside from the occasional personal niceties, the mailbox bears very bad will. Everyday it is jammed with corruption. If you want to bring bad karma into your home, get the mail, open it, sign the forms and send them back in the self-addressed, no postage required envelopes now obese with forms filled to completion. It is a guaranteed self-fulfilling nightmare that will return again and again with more papers, more signature lines, more coercions in ever increasing sizes of packets until you are bleary with exhaustion even before the cell phone chimes with hundreds of unknown phone numbers, heh, kinda like a chain letter, the returns are amazing, but what is more amazing is the masses are actually participating and if they are not participating, where are the objections? Some of us who are amazed would have made excellent fish, refusing to bite the bait and all. But the creators of bait catch enough fish to make the expense worthwhile or they wouldn't do it. Do beware, the trawlers are working now and its sink or swim.
Do note also that no one is stepping up to the microphones to make promises of aid following Pakistan's 7.4 earthquake at the northeast border with Afghanistan (massacre alert, clear the property alert, evacuate immediately alert) or offering C-130s to evacuate flood victims and carry medical supplies and food to anguished Australians and South Africans. They don't even bother anymore, they're too busy watching Baby Doc free himself in order to power grab during Haiti's election crises before HAARPing on sudden shifts in the tectonic plates. There's a lot to watch on their phone screens besides porn. Mostly they watch Hu since his last visit was accompanied with little if any fanfare and now, trillions in national debt, likely quadrillions in world debt, Hu gets his state dinner. All the little things going down add up. They won't deny what is happening, they must deny it to the bond holders or there will be margin calls. While we stretch out what is left of our days, languishing in doubt and wonder, China turns into us and we become the cheap knock-off we were merely slightly known for once upon a time by any astute travelers who left the state and discovered the real thing. It seems that China created its wealth from the US buyer so its only right the US be bailed out by them, at least temporarily, but isn't this how wars begin? Anyone challenging our financials, our imperial rights, should be cautious, it looks like the whole thing is going to blow. Yes, I know, there are many reasons going all the way back to repeal of Glass-Stegall that brought us so low so fast, and it was fast. Faster than we recall since everything was rosy then. And now ... well I needn't go into it further. They say it is always darkest before the dawn.
Bulletin board:
Please do not miss bholanath's video, Kali Stuti, I downloaded it to the library and played it again late Saturday night reminding myself we are truly blessed to be among musical genius. It is shockingly, hauntingly exquisite and takes you far into the realm of great beauty and holiness. If you already played it, all I can say is Play it Again and again. Every time I hear it there are previously undiscovered nuances.
Prayers of gratitude and pure love are due for Susana Su-nami who saved her son's chance at a full life over the past week in an agonizing balancing act completing a perfect Yin Yang.
Blessings abound, one love.
![]() |
| The Cycle of Life |


47 comments:
I hardly know what to say except that you express your self beautifully. Your word resounds to me and reminds me love still exists [and health]. I live in the mountains of Central Idaho. If i had it to "do over" I would expatriate [probably to a third world country with jungles]. But i am now resigned to die trying. To influence one or two to the love of goddess mother earth/nature. Imagine the popularity of that message in the home of recreational slaughter. I don't delude myself that these efforts will accomplish much if anything. The US education system efficiently produces knotheads. I see that my pranic infusions have brought about an accelerating timeline to shorten the time of mass suffering. It's my best shot. Thanks for what you do at Artlife West. Alpholive
Welcome back Alpho, and thank you, if I had the advantage of the Selway, I'd be sticking around too. But I'm not going anywhere either. I love this line: ...i am now resigned to die trying. Thus we get to see how it plays out and play our parts - however it goes.
Vword: lagier (too close to Langolier, eeeek!)
Hello Ms. Deep...Your words flow with beautiful intent...as the world unravels, it's comforting to know we are all in this together!....good intentions bring good Life experiences...things never seem to play out, the way we think they will.....We truly live in interesting times...peace love...out...
Hi Terrance, I've always said the reality is never the fantasy. A Welcome Back! to you too.
Thank you.
I love your words
I love your art
The arrow to my heart
I haven't gone to Su's site in a few days so I am glad to hear the news is good. I sure as hell thought good thoughts..our good has weight you know.
Yes Burnie, that is very true. We have more power than we realize, but its the kind of power that is vastly underestimated, rarely trusted. But I've witnessed it working over and over again, even to me, especially to our animals, When two or three are gathered in thy name ...
I sincerely thank everyone along the way that showed us how to release power. It doesn't matter anymore how much it works or that we be present, all that matters is love. And a lot of truth of course, using the best of our ability to express it.
Thanks, your work, btw, is magical.
Hi Nina,
Myself, I disagree that activities such as gardening or meditating are "crutches". I see beneficial activities such as those as walking rightly in a treacherous time. I also see they are what can ground us and keep our spirit connected to that which is real and enduring, so that the "whirling in freefall" doesn't define the totality of our existence.
I really liked your fish analogy. Yes, even if you don't take the bait, beware, the trawlers!
Life, I didn't mean it negatively, crutches are assistance, the means to get around, to go on, to survive despite the situation. For example, painting is my crutch.
Well that makes more sense then Nina. I guess the word 'crutch' still has a negative connotation for me. I see how they are helpful and sometimes necessary (as last May when I hurt my foot dancing and had to use them to hobble around for awhile). It's just that their usage seems to imply the user is broken in some way, and has to rely on them to function. Maybe I don't want to accept brokeness as an inevitable human condition, even in this difficult time.
revitalising purposeful
invigorating fresh
recipe inspire
generate affect
atmospheric formula
of reverberating free
harmonizing whisper
essence of sun beam
pattern of equality
trail of butterfly
glisten on a moment
reach across the sky
rising through the living
lifting upper way
unifying all around
atuning inner wave
..peace..
Nice post as usual.
Interesting times, these.
We eat well, have warm shelter and clothing, even in this frigid winter that the sarcastic minions I work with see as evidence that global warming is a hoax. They like to joke about how big their carbon footprints are. Hardy har.
I believe the weather is going chaotic, and cold spells (no colder than what was normal when I was a boy) would be expected.
Regardless, one of the worst aspects of our slow, steady decline is the ennui and boredom and frustration.
I am eager to divest myself of the systems of credit, bureaucracy, medical Kafkaism, and educational meat-grinders, but here I am, slogging away.
Sure, I do my little side business fixing things. I have great musician friends who "get it," and talk about leaving the system as much as possible. But everyone talks way more than they act. I see some action, though, especially in terms of people helping each other.
Still, the depressing realization that there will be no sudden shaking off of the parasite from the host, no road to Damascus moment for us as a nation and Western Civilization - well, that realization is kind of depressing. I just try to find more joy in the small meaningful things I can do, and try to find out how to bend time to allow myself more of such times.
Such as cross-country skiing by the river near our house last week, when the temperature was a balmy 5 degrees above zero Fahrenheit, and actually working up a sweat over 45 minutes. And I was using 40 year old wooden Norwegian skis that I had refinished and waxed myself. Purchased for $14 from Goodwill - one pair for my, one pair for the missus. (This doesn't include new boots, etc.) Just gliding through the still night, seeing the river below the bluffs, and feeling my lungs breathing blood moving, was an experience that was far more enjoyable and with longer-lasting waves of pleasure than buying anything or consuming a media product.
So it goes.
TEOTWAKI...had no clue what it meant, now I do
We have been given the shoe
Fuck a duck............grin/grimace/grin again, again
Hello Nina, a poem to share....The Layers
--Stanley Kunitz
.
I have walked through many lives,
some of them my own,
and I am not who I was,
though some principle of being
abides, from which I struggle
not to stray.
When I look behind,
as I am compelled to look
before I can gather strength
to proceed on my journey,
I see the milestones dwindling
toward the horizon
and the slow fires trailing
from the abandoned camp_sites,
over which scavenger angels
wheel on heavy wings.
Oh, I have made myself a tribe
out of my true affections,
and my tribe is scattered!
How shall the heart be reconciled
to its feast of losses?
In a rising wind
the manic dust of my friends,
those who fell along the way,
bitterly stings my face.
Yet I turn, I turn,
exulting somewhat,
with my will intact to go
wherever I need to go,
and every stone on the road
precious to me.
In my darkest night,
when the moon was covered
and I roamed through wreckage,
a nimbus-clouded voice
directed me:
"Live in the layers,
not on the litter."
Though I lack the art
to decipher it,
no doubt the next chapter
in my book of transformations
is already written.
I am not done with my changes.
.
.
.
Pretty much my sentiments Nina, the present path is unsustainable. It is kind of like riding a karmic train that is headed for a brick wall. You and hand full of others are trying to figure out if there is a way to mitigate the collision while the entire train behind you is drinking wine and having one hell of a party.
Dubs and Nina -
Like Derrick Jensen compares our situation:
"Five people are locked in a room with 15 armed psychopaths and 30 asleep people. What do you do?"
Or maybe like 50,000 trapped on a planet with 10 million psychos and 7 billion comatose...
[fortunately, there are other species (grin)]
Over the top, exquisite prose, once again, and lovely big-heart art.
>onelove<
Everyone see the SOTU? Heh, that man, that room, truly believes we are the Jetsons.
Hello Nina ....I do not understand why more people don't comment on your post? Your insights are Right on....are we the handful on the train headed for the wall? Where is my glass of zin?.......
It always looks like the VP and speaker are sitting in red and white striped cut-out arches, doesn't it?
I hear Bachman is on next. Think I will pass.
I think I mentioned on the dog's site once it is kind of like being hand cuffed in the back of a taxi and Lucifer is driving and just hitting fifth gear.
I heard some of the SOTU speech today, rebroadcast on public radio.
Wow. A combination of platitude about how the USA has been, and will be again, the greatest, most competitive nation in the world!
What's up with all the competition crap? Why do we always have to be the best, the winners, the dominant everything?
The future, if there is one, lies in cooperation and a life of thoughtful sustainability. The latest technology will have little to do with it. Maybe a few solar cells to power you laptop, if there is even a net to hook up to.
Nothing in his speech about changing our consciousness, nothing about adapting to scarcity, nothing about accepting limits, nothing about the fact that a better life can in fact be lived with less.
I would claim that the only way to l live a better life is with a much decreased material consumption, less "getting and spending."
I give the speech a D-. It wasn't even particularly inspiring in a standard, old-fashioned Triumph of the Will way.
with you on that publius,..neil
How about an F, Publius, for his complete inability to get even close to truth.
That speech wasn't for us, it was for the bond holders. And I resent that too, are they the Union?
In a tour of the politically leaning blogs today, I find it interesting that the biggest scorn is silence.
I'd like to invite you, my friends, to listen to a bit of Minnesota culture, one of my friends. She's a wonderful fiddler, singer-songwriter, and musician. I particularly like the song, "Down the River I Go," which has some metaphorical resonance these daze:
http://www.meghandudlemusic.com/Listen.html
Thanks Publius, I've got her bookmarked for my Saturday night listening. Will let you know Sunday, but already I hear it will be good.
On a another subject, and a tragic one at that, when did protection of self-image become more important than courage? the Road to National Suicide/
Sorry, but if I hear more than one sentence from the mouth of that horrible imposter I feel my brain cells self-imploding. I'm sure there were many important code-words and wetiko-trigger-phrases used, but I've made my vow to not let any of it in any more forever, especially the "moving forward" shit....aaarrggghhh!
>onelove<
http://www.clowncrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/StateUnion.jpg
You know bho, you can make those out of clay, bake and glaze them shiney, put in a small gift box and wrap for holiday giving.
Julio in glazes...ahem (grin/groan)
It was a natural, there was no choice. Its a vase from Peru with the name Julio scratched on the bottom.
However, as long as we are being silly today, Michael Astera had the same reaction as yours. And here I wondered if anybody "got it". Heh.
bho, your SOTU link is going viral as we speak. Going right on the progressives' sites. Hahahahahahaha The man saw it and couldn't resist. Ah well ...
Flying N for a while. Commitments and family runnings. I'll get a taste of what civilisation has been doing for the last year.
Old to gold creaking along, titling land, got a great team to work with, fitter and well solar heated. Will work on greasing O to G with some treasures stashed for this. I can't think of a better exchange. Permaculture in Itality for some dead mens things.
Remembering to Be Here Now. Looks like the majority are living in the There and When.
One Love, turey.
Jah guide spar. Keep in touch.
Beautiful and achingly sad post, Nina. What happens when the pain gets so excruciating that it cannot be endured any longer? When I was a kid I always envied the women on TV or in the movies who could feint. I could never feint. Nobody seems to feint anymore.
One time I witnessed a woman with associative disorder. I was working as a secretary on a psych unit in a hospital. This patient went on a supervised activity - on a jog around the hospital grounds. A dog passed by, and for some reason it triggered one of her personalities who was a dog. She could no longer walk upright so they had to drag her back onto the ward whereupon she got on all fours and hunched in a corner on the floor and growled. It was quite surprising to me. I think that, once again, I was envious.
I imagine that if things get just too painful that people will respond in imaginative ways. Some will go "postal." Some will off themselves or get sick and die. Others might just "pop" and leave their personalities - never to return. Maybe they'll go into their higher selves. Maybe into lower ones. Anywhere but here. It would make for a very odd sort of "rapture."
As for me, I'd probably be stuck here thinking, "Damn! I wish I could do that!"
Freeacre, amazing comment as always, thank you, I have witnessed first hand what happens to those who "pop" under today's pressures. It brings on the jackboots and "Vaders". I'm not talking about the mass shootings, just the ordinary miserable/confused/depressed individual who can't find the will to continue as we are. In other words, revenue is generated from the breakdowns.
Your psyche background must be an enormous help. I was an OTA for a few years and that helps. I think its ego strength that makes the difference, but really, who is to say what the future holds for anyone now. I'm hearing Syria shut down the Internet and Cairo is dismantling as I write this.
Live from Cairo
Al Jazeera English: live stream
Egypt Rising: Washington Dithers as its Factotum Faces Downfall
Protests in Egypt - live updates ...
• Mohamed ElBaradei has been detained
• Teargas and rubber bullets used in crackdown
• Internet access and mobile phone networks shut down
Sing your song all
bone crushing reality
best served in harmony
There are two doors
which will be yours
the sun and the light
or the black dark of night
Knight
i choose the light, but, as they say, anything worth having must be earned
with the sweat of your brow.
Lemons?
thousands of protesters challenge crackdown in Egypt
Earned by the free sweat of your brow, not denied, coerced, corrupted, stolen, repressed, fabricated or forced under threat of annihilation. Not bought, sold, padded with usury, trampled upon, gassed or beaten into submission.
Well said Nina..it is a joy, and a willing trial. Don't know what to make of Egypt. At face value it looks like revolution of disgust over oppression. I only know that it is contagious and can be positive or negative and very violent, or, all of the above.
Best to you
Burnie
The magic word to use for comment clearance is Spital..interesting.
The problem with Egypt as seen by the you-know-whos is it is highly contagious.
Hi Nina and friends,
Great post as always, Nina. It gave me a chance to reassess how far off the system I've come. Ways to go but making steady progress.
Reading through the comments highlights just how much has happened in the past week while I was back east with family ...Tunisia, SOTU, and now Egypt. Jordan and Yemen close behind. I seriously doubt that contagious revolt and dictator dominoes fits with the wetikos' game plan. Alas, their spokespuppets seem to be at a such loss for a coherent response message. Maybe, just maybe, the consciousness alarm clocks are going off. Even my siblings have suddenly woken up since the New Year, and I'd given up hope it would ever happen.
Terrance, Thank you for posting Stanley Kuntz' The Layers. One of my very favorites.
In solidarity,
http://www.gizamap.com/geomatrix/
Don't forget what is under the sphinx and pyramids. We are supposed to be entering a period of all revealed. Can't do that without Egypt tasting freedom under a responsible government.
That's right Mick.
But Mick, you will note the twisting going on, the crafting of a language of unreality, the minimizing, the soft quelling, the push into BAU, the highlighting of nonsense.
That is how it all will go down, all of it everywhere, to their dying days.
And yes indeed, Chris Floyd is the man.
The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
New post in the Gallery: food wagon at the Sphinx
Post a Comment