... And I know you're shining down on me from heaven, Like so many friends we've lost along the way ...
by M. Carey, One Sweet Day
Another one down and more to come we hear. Keeping score yet? Our ruined cities, our ruined seas, our ruined coasts, our over-indebted population, our controlled societies ... force fed on crisis management PR while Rome burns and Nero fiddles. Perfect timing Dennis. We'll miss you, but would never plead you stick around for more.This is what the end of the Industrial Revolution looks like, which is exactly the same as what Peak Oil looks like as we enter into Climate Chaos. Moreover, it looks a lot like this and this.
I am grateful to Su for bringing this quote to our attention:
We are all but recent leaves on the same old tree of life
and if this life has adapted itself to new functions and conditions,
it uses the same old basic principles over and over again.
There is no real difference between the grass and the man who mows it.
Albert Szent-Györgyi
When whole economies are devastated, what else can people do but migrate? A
nd they will migrate based on hope, as they always do, but I don't hold any hope, we've gone too far down the road of cruelty leading the multitudes into a permanent state of hopelessness. There are seemingly unrelated signs and omens pointing directly to the futility of hope, which is only wishful thinking, the busywork of hell on earth. I've seen things, from time to time, as an accidental passerby, that when you think about them later on make no sense in the larger scheme of what it is we are supposed to be doing here. Traveling through the corridors of an office building, huddled to the side of the elevators, an African American woman writhing to escape a band of steroidal law enforcement employees determined to cuff her and get her into the cage of a squad car, what had she done? She'd said she wanted to end her life is what she'd done. Alarmed co-workers called the authorities. Next, Between page downloads I ran across the Lindsey Lohan debacle where she is now court ordered to wear an alcohol monitoring bracelet. It must be an ungainly, chunky metal thing since she'd like it redesigned more fashionably. Who are these people who go into business principally to create and market such things as monitors and restraints? Now, let's just stop here and digest those two relatively minor situations and all they imply about our bizarre New World where you are definitely not in charge of your own life. While you think that over, are you seated at your desk? The one where you spend as much time prioritizing bills (for the price of living) as you do sleeping at night? Are we sleeping at night anymore? Its not so easy to sleep with the huge black weight of the plumes (denied to exist) wrapping the Gulf wetlands, is it. The more thought put into it, the more questions come up, the more nightsweats and alarm. They would like us to take our every breath in a never ending state of emergency.We see a lot of strange things when surfing, arguable, debatable reports, they don't seem to fit at all with what you thought was happening. We like to discard them, they make no sense with everything else we hear. At some point, we tire of the noise and hang back to peer at the bigger meaning behind what is displayed to us and tie in all those dangling ends to see how they might complete the image. Just for the mental exercise of course. War Zone? Clear the lands/waterfront for development? Impossible you say. I don't know. These things were reported during Katrina as well, indeed they came to pass. Everyday is another education in areas of expertise we never thought much about: It appears this is also the experience of our community organizer and his agencies as well. Unfortunately for the population, this means our leaders are learning as they go along because governing responsibly is not the priority. Maximizing profits is the only game in town. As we slide down the the Bell curve, they appear to us as evermore desperate because doing something realistically helpful obviously isn't maximizing enough profit to please, thus, AMAZING - take your breath away, murderous disasters are commonplace. As each day rolls forward, all of this is only exacerbated. It is the innocence of hope (false belief) that the little people have control over any of the increasingly dire spectacles of corruption taking place that keep these issues from being resolved. Your confusion partnering with your hope is just another profit vehicle, although a very successful one, that prevents the dawn of a brighter day. It is why we vote, if we vote at all. It is why we bend and conform, if we bend and conform. It is why we become angry and sad, we don't get what we think we were promised because we have spent the majority of this lifetime under the hopeful illusion of false altruism disguising the maximizing of profits. Nothing is going to change that. The transition away from of pan-petro-reliance that could have been smooth and an honorable example to the rest of the western world, is squandered in paranoia and cheap deceit.
We like to think there is justice in this life, but again, as the events bubble to the surface, there is no justice coming. What we never wanted to know and never imagined is now what is. We do not have to wonder where this is going, it has been made repeatedly clear the only changes we will see are changes that one way or another maximize profit. You might even say, its always been this way and you would be right. The only battle you've been fighting all of your life is a classic deficiency (desirable trait) among decent people, is mental, it is the failure to pick up on a hustle when its going down. As long as you don't get it, you remain vulnerable. Things happen to the vulnerable. For example, Haiti remains vulnerable. Guatemala is vulnerable. Greece is vulnerable. All who suffer under the ambient threats of corruption extreme are vulnerable. And yet, even while the Earth is trawled and protest silenced, the corrupt thrive, pushing the envelope, creating disasters, lying to cover sloppy corner cutting resulting in innumerable screw ups, and its all whited out with the next silly press release and all of it for the sole purpose of ... maximizing profits.
We've been watching some of the C-Span hearings and found the usual incongruity among what passes for professional expertise in our weirdo world lately. Each interrogator is outshined in sheer absurdity by each specialist witness. Mindful of the secrecy schemes at large, we took to fantasizing alternate vocations for the interogees as potential cannon fodder (In Another Life) replaced by perhaps un-registered sex offenders (IAL) replaced by transgender lookalikes (IAL), all of whom dutifully relate their personal versions to apparently deaf and blind information gathering experts completely ignorant of the terminology and cultural dialects employed in transacting with each-other. This discrepancy is no doubt due to the accident of birth in a house of mirrors where nothing is as it seems and yet, after reaching maturity, everyone adjusts to the noxious circumstance where life choices include shifting the joystick or watching traffic camera monitors while gulping cheeesburgers and slurping supersized slushies.
When you see these BP spokespeople, you know in addition to the settlements and fines, headline divorces of which there are not as many financial limits, are lying at the bottom of their teacups exactly as the Deepwater rig lies sideways on the sea floor. What shall they do with these rigs in a drilling moratorium? Perhaps we are looking at prisons of the future, huge, multi-storied metal structures miles from land, ready made Alcatrazes for the New World, just add cell bars and a few Latino gangs. The hookers can parachute their way onto the decks since we are in part one of Apocalypse Now. I can't wait for intermission.
We will never know what really happened on that fateful day aboard the DH rig just as we will never know what BP is doing. There are many more where they came from, thousands lining the coasts of the continents. We will only know what crisis management wants us to know, which changes on an hourly basis. It is not that we are allowed any truths here, mind you, all we get is what they give, nothing more. In conjunction with the WH PR machine, surely they have stacks of press releases ready for anything, predated and awaiting dissemination depending on the momentary whims of drug dealer BP et al who might as well be Countrywide or Goldman Sacks at this point. Sometimes they get caught in deceit, but it passes with the next press release. You know when you see it, you are seeing the definition of real corruption, plumes of bs so thick, so deep and wide and growing, a firing here and there, fall guys, patsies, the children of no child left behind doing the whistleblowing, we cannot heal.
There is only one true and sustaining place to turn in such times and that is to the God within you, to that which you value in this journey and towards the healing and nurturing you alone are able to provide and especially to the love you share with your family members and animals - even if your family is not in any way traditional since whatever we held as tradition was just another method of torture and division, both of which are among the most popular products designed to maximize profit through coerced ignorance = prejudice.
If you somehow (impossibly) missed Waves on the Ocean Worlds in the Sea, I end this post with a timely, soul searing Visible masterwork.
photos: Google Images
74 comments:
Nice. Has been nice meeting here,
but somehow I don't think we will be after a long, hot oily hurricane summer....on the "Labor Day 3-day 'weekend'."
Each day the headlines are more surreal, not just every other day as formerly... dreams seem to keep indicating now's the time to get one's affairs in order...
'Hundreds die in Indian heatwave-
hottest summer on record' (122F)
www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/
may/30/india-heatwave-deaths
WV: liumist
We had other plans for that time slot, but now that you mention the hurricanes lined up, we'll probably be in very deep ---- at this rate.
They have temperatures like that in Nevada. Will we be seeing figures like that so close by? How much longer can people habituate notorious hot spots without going from AC in house to AC in car to AC in buildings/hospitals/malls/universities? How can they pay for 24 hr AC day in day out? There will be huge migrations.
beloved nina,
i don't personally hold out much hope for survival.
i don't think it is going to get to the point of imprisoning half the worlds population.
the earth and the sun are dancing a dance and we are cells in the sprung wooden floorboard.
i think what you said about going within is the best advise to give at this time. because it is within, when thoughts are paused that one meets the silence that is not dependent on having a body, or a mind, or a home.
it is what we in truth are.
tao, 16 was in deep despair yesterday about the gulf and the damage - and it turned to rage and hopelessness. and then i read the comment by Light Keeper on your page with that prayer to the water, to the life that is at risk.
let us take all our energy, redirect it to loving intention,
instead of looking at images of horror and devastation, let us paint pictures of clear water, of healthy life. let us put pictures on our walls of the best of humanity.
"when you are deluded and full of doubt even a thousand books are not enough.when you have realized understanding even one word is too much."
Fen Yang
have just been online again, away from the beauty of the garden to read about israhell's attack on the flotilla.
there is no way that the limited understanding i have can come to accept this.
no way at all.
PR wise, that was the worst move they could make. Their excuses give them away. Despite it being a US holiday weekend, despite the MSM quoting false figures, the result will not be in their favor and the jig is up.
That means more and worse.
Su, I am honored you found something in these pages worthy of Tao's consideration.
little leaves
all are we
bustling rustling
in the breeze
little leaves
on lifes tree
thinking thoughts
of when we're free
free like birds
in the sky
thinking thoughts
to climb and fly
fly above
the broken lie
where the thunder
clap collides
higher and higher
past the clouds
to where stars beam
light to rouse
to stir and energize the mind
by lantern light universal sign
all of us just little leaves
like frogs or dogs
or little fleas
in our place on lifes tree
wandering eternaly.
..peace..
Nice pome, 'peace'
WV: iturnal (!)
Indeed and Amen.
I well remember, as a youngster of 21, stumbling out into the night back in '69 after seeing "Easy Rider", feeling like I had been kicked in the stomach. I knew things weren't right, but that film made it all inescapably visceral. A decade later Doris Lessing's "Shikasta" moved the drama into the archetypal realm, and it has revealed itself through that lens ever since. Good art is always out in front of the game.
What can we really do at this late date, except to remain true to ourselves and what we know to be right? Our Gilded Age is in overdrive, and a stone wall looms dead ahead. Buckle up!
thanks anonymous
and thanks to nina su and other anonymous,for the thought provoking
words you say.has anyone heard from les,wondering where he is.
neil
It seems there is no one left to deliver the Heimlich maneuver to a nation choking to death on their Memorial Day weenies.
We are a nation too stupid to fix that which we have ruined, too fat to run, too corrupt to rise to the occasion, too ill to move, too dense to fly away, to indebted to start over, too unworthy to be saved.
But, here and there are exceptions to the rule of the idiocracy. Let's toast the young ones who hear the call of the new life to come. My hope is with them.
Freeacre, your second paragraph encapsulates it all--brilliant stuff.
charles
WV: ambles (through the brambles?)
Su, I appreciated the Lightkeeper's prayer so much I put it where it won't be missed. I am in your debt as usual. There is nothing really other than compassion and listening to be done with Tao, he is like you and like me that way. 8 years ago I read about Bush admin destroying our back roads and wept while sitting shotgun on the bumper to bumper 80mph Ventura highway. The Fireteacher didn't bat an eye.
Isn't it rather weird for a sitting president to blow off Arlington? I don't recall this ever happening before and to happen now with so much warring on his plate. A no show at Arlington is a bad move, he should have been there with something uplifting for the families of the fallen. And then, to make matters worse, he was rained out in his home state and didn't get to soothe anybody. So is he running the show or is he being kept out of the picture? Is this nothing or is it yet another big bad scene on the back burner moving to the front?
This just in from Admin at Survival Acres. Now we see why BP does what it does. Now we see what lies ahead for Petromania: Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill ... “We see frantic efforts being made to stop the spill in the US,” said Nnimo Bassey, Nigerian head of Friends of the Earth International. “But in Nigeria, oil companies largely ignore their spills, cover them up and destroy people’s livelihood and environments. The Gulf spill can be seen as a metaphor for what is happening daily in the oilfields of Nigeria and other parts of Africa.
“This has gone on for 50 years in Nigeria. People depend completely on the environment for their drinking water and farming and fishing. They are amazed that the president of the US can be making speeches daily, because in Nigeria people there would not hear a whimper,” he said....
See the link above and Survival Acres.
nina ,
regardng your comment on Nigeria.
i have lost track of the amount of explosions they have had along the pipelines in that country. hundreds injured. no medical facilities. no clean up operations. how much oil has been stripped out of the earth and still the nation is poverty stricken.
spoke to a wise man about the oil spill the other day. he said he was not following it but thankfully it had happened on the american coastline, because if it had happened anywhere else the clean up efforts would have been marginal, a song and a dance.
that prayer has become as close to me as my breathing.
i am sorry
i love you
forgive me
thank you.
The beauty of the people on this site and the way they express their feelings is inspiring to me. We must continue to lead by example and pray
Scrap Wood
I think so too, Scrappy, and always thought that's what our leaders should do and don't, but we must and will. Now we find out through Nigeria's experience, witnessed by Su, more than ever our example will make a difference if only we stay strong and committed to decency and truth - efforts to corrupt everyone and everything have been underway too long, it does not have to be that way. Please put up the link to your woodworking video again, doing things with our hands and hearts is the way home vs. ignorantly gulping 40% of Nigeria's ongoing cataclysm. More than a few of the people who visit this site are woodworkers or at the least woodys-in-the-making (a good thing!) and I want to make sure everyone who missed it the first time around sees your friend's efforts. It does nothing to weep and wail when we can instead get physical with survival.
Nina, here is the place to check and today's post pretty well coexists with us her at this beautiful spot.
http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com/
Doug's post today is excellent so check it out all. Keep coming back because Doug has a great many things to say.
Scrap Wood
hey scrapwood I'm a carpenter aswell,
not really by choice,my father and grandfather were carpenters or chippys as we call them in england.
work is getting really hard to find
now though since the banksters stole all the money,I dont know how it is where ever you are.
I was thinking about doing a little explanation with sawdust about how they stole all the money on youtube,but I dont relly know
and I'm to shy.
peace to all neil
___
Koyaanisqatsi
...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___...___
"History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man......."
For those who aren't impressed by massive oil spills I offer these two data sets.
Arctic sea ice is retreating at the fastest rate ever. This will contribute to continued global weird weather.
Global satellite readings of the earths near surface temperature layer, the bit we live in, have jumped significantly in the last several months. This appears not to be a data anomaly but a consistent rapid increase in temperatures. (go to the link, click all the year buttons on the bottom and select "near surface layer)
Global warming is real, it's here now, and it appears to be accelerating.
..neil.., word is Visible is busy with life at this time, but he is fine.
----------------------------------
I love that term "chippys" and can't wait to use it.
Do your video, it will be good for you to see that shyness isn't a real obstacle, shyness is high respect of others talents of which you are among the very talented yourself.
This thread is particularly information heavy. Thanks to all who are putting up links.
Actually, thanks to all who comment. We are a valuable resource to one another and I am grateful to each and everyone so thoughtful and generous with their contributions.
thanks nina,you are also an extremely talented artist I have been trying to look for more of your work but cant seem to find it in the gallery,I would like to buy a picture off you for my mum for christmas if that is possible.
neil
Pangolin, denial of global warming/cooling always seemed lame to me since we've known about it our entire lives. Its in the common vernacular. How long has LA been known for smog? How long has the rainforest been under attack and its resulting hole in the Ozone layer? It seems the only reason to deny was mastery of a time frame in which to figure out how it would be profitable, which was done and further reinforces denial among many who should know better.
For your Mum? That is too flattering, I'm floored.
Have you tried going to the Gallery archives starting at the bottom and working your way up? A lot of my work is there, not all, but a lot.
Anyone heard from chickory lately?
aha now I know,will have good look at all of them get the feel of them
but the one that stands out at the moment is the mountain stars and sea
in the rasta come home section but I will have a look on a big screen over the next few days.
cheers nina
neil
..neil.., before this goes any further, I don't sell my work. Its here for everyone's enjoyment. If someone wants to download it, that's fine, I have no control over what someone else does, sharing is the whole point. I don't have an email address for you otherwise I would have explained in more detail, but basically, I am not in the money economy.
The article on wikileaks and its founder in the June 7 2010 New Yorker gives me a wee bit more faith in humanity... perhaps wikileaks will
have video of 'what really happened' on the flotilla instead of the israeli video spoonfed the sheeple by nbc/cbs/abc/cnn/fauxnews.
wv: nonin
There were two vids on CNN, one by the flotilla, one by the commandos. the flotilla shows the fighting taking place in darkness, the commando version is in daylight. No one addressed the discrepancy.
About the latest blowout fix, does anyone know if the saw has been unstuck? The Oil Drum has an excellent piece up today. A tidy wrap on the mass predicament. By this time, I think we are getting it at last, not that it will change much, we're in too deep.
I didnt know nina,I wish I could get out of the rat race here,need land for that though,which I have none as I'm completely useless with money,I have never cared for it so I suppose it is my fault,I'm a sharer like yourself.
where I live I mainly work for the poor for little money,if really really poor for nothing
have always been like this,living in a community where everything is shared out sounds like heaven to me.if I was by my self I would probably be traveling as I am a nomad underneath but I have my son keelan so we just stay round my mum and dads for the moment as its cheap,keelan likes this aswell.In england the government does not want self suffiency it just wants slaves well demoralised slaves the same as the usa,I did see some mad thing in america about the fda trying to ban people from eating food that wasnt government stamped and the people would be unable to eat the food that they grow,more complete insanity.
anway bye neil
perfect image choice...those fish are us. BP lies, gets caught, nothing happens, lies again, gets caught, they backpeddle, nothing happens. In this world clearly the dumbest and most evil have risen to the top and for some reason the rest of us recognize them as authority...or do we? maybe, finally in the last hour we can glimpse the truth as we fall off the cliff. i could barely write a blog today after two weeks i am so sick at heart - moving as if in molasses. literally, my spirit is heavy. the lack of justice as you wrote burns like a sun of rage in my stomach. thank God you are able to still write with substance and acute observation. how i cherish this page~
i mourn the animals. im sure i would be sedated by now if i saw it up close and personal as the coast people do. horrific. unbelievable. and yet things keep chuggin' -BAU
I will miss you guys for a week or so as I am off to the mountains of North Carolina to build Windsor Stick chairs. A little vacation but still using my hands. Hope it helps my head. Say a pray and light a candle for all creatures, us included
Scrap Wood
I did see some mad thing in America about the fda trying to ban people from eating food that wasnt government stamped and the people would be unable to eat the food that they grow...
You saw correctly. Ive seen no evidence it was taken seriously. However, if the municipalocracy is running in the red, and they all lost their pensions and dreams of a comfortable golden years, well, all bets are off.
I'm right there with you Chickory, it feels like a punch in the gut.
Have a look at the Nigeria links above I put up Monday, a few posts above this one. Definitely amped up my thinking on the event.
Scrappy, that's my kind of vacation. You are kind to let me know, I would have wondered. Sounds like the perfect thing, a retreat, mentally and physically balanced. Please take photos. I look forward to seeing your work and the landscape.
Jah Guide.
Spent four days in Treasure Beach with artists and musicians.
So easy to forget the harms being done, ours just 50 miles away in Tivoli Gardens and elsewhere.
Got seabath and beach run. Walked my land, to return for clearing paths etc.
Spoke with a German visitor. He noted that his people do not have the depth of love for the Fatherland that Jamaicans have for our Yard, this puzzled him. Most here get nothing from the state and depend on themselves for survival.
We were at a calm sea at morning sun lit beach with palms waving behind us and seabirds lazing by. All I could do is gesture at the beauty around as explanation. Time given we would have spoken of much more.
No tar balls here so far.
Be of good heart, mourning robs the energy needed for the works ahead.
Later, turey.
well said turey, there is indeed work ahead.
Last night in a semi-spontaneous gathering i joined twelve people on a bicycle tour of the city's dumpsters. We scored a crunched but otherwise delicious lemon tart at Trader Joe's. I also got a very nice umbrella. When all else fails, do something silly with friends.
Spent yesterday saddened at all I see. One can feel like some useless loser, when you know your not.
Feeling helpless, without power to affect any outcome of anything. You know the walk to take, and you can put up platitudes, softballs, that people want to hear, but nonetheless struggle. I am not prepared to survive any world disaster, how can one be, and it feels silly to say the world is ending but that is how it feels. Little parts dying or ignored. The good part of yesterday was following a suggestion from Murph to watch a movie called Second Hand Lion. I laughed and cried at this movie. I am a sucker for this kind of movie and it was just what the doctor ordered. If I had two uncles like that in my youth it would have been like heaven. I know it is not reality but if I could have had that my life would be richer and more complete. one can feel like some unfinished business that someone never got back to. What is important is my connection to the world, and whether you realize it or not we all in various ways grok this reality together and are not all by ourselves as one can feel on days like yesterday. We are here for some purpose, and the only way to find the way is to experience it(this is my personal path-not something to push on others). Here is a lesson..when you hit the wall in any circumstance, you can turn left or right lol. I'm after a smile in me and you
Ok, ah yesterday, I took the rockbuggy into the desert farmlands and blew the engine. Sob. In these time you can no longer safely accept offers of assistance from strangers, so I was stuck for hours and hours under the blazing sun in the blazing heat, in the middle of nowhere, pretending to be a normal someone just doing nothing, just thought I'd go out into the badlands and hang out awhile, lah de dah. (The thought bubble: Oh no! This could be a bad scene. Leave the vehicle, watch out for that nest of rattlers sunning, what will the cell records reveal? "serial killers found using stolen cellphone", don't go up so close to these railroad tracks, tomorrow is another day, help will come soon. Keep your cool. That's it, take pictures. See, its exquisitely beautiful, you could paint this.
The bummer was I had just started on a story in my head, it was a synthesis of life on Earth going all the way back to a speck of what we call dirt dislodged from another what we call planet and floated along gathering what we call space dust until it became a huge sphere where everything grew, everything was food for something else, everything survived from other life, death was the recycling phase in a process of endless recreation... and then the telltale noise started, off went the Jonny Lang, Wander This World and my gut told me to deal with the moment.
It turned out wonderfully, I saw my old friends the towers who don't usually go so far out of their region, but they did and at a fat discount too. Then I got to spend some time with our mechanics who are adorable honest bikerboys, kinda crazy, kinda druidlike. And the Fireteacher took care of my important errand (Guinea Pig meds) I'd been heading for on my rural shortcut, left his work in the middle of expensive chippy chaos to check out the rockbuggy and stayed with me by cell until the tow truck showed up. So many blessings, so many wonderful people, I'll be putting up pictures soon. It was a great day. Best of all, my Guinea Pig got his meds.
Actually, out there in the desert up against a brick wall, I walked right and left many times and then many more times until something wonderful started to create itself which brought more than desired results. It brought gratitude and a lesson on love/compassion I will call the happy beauties of a caring community.
Tex in Cantaloupe country, near Pecos, TX. Nina, I have tried to take yr advice AMAP about a year ago, and reflected a LOT about how my perception could have been affected/perverted by my upbringing down here. Down here.
And yes, as usual, your wisdom is true. I've been trying to get out of the usual patterns. It takes awhile! Longer than I imagined. Les Visible's sermon last Sunday was very helpful. Thank you, Les....
I have been researching weather patterns down here and what is indicated (as far as I can see) is: hotter summers, drier summers, cooler winters. Grok that! Al Gore only gets half a loaf? Tipper the Zappa Hater only gets a $9m manse?
Oh well, hanging in there, not dumpster diving yet but planting a lot of non-GMO seeds. I think you people are too rough on BP. BP bought out ARCO and Amoco. Now my poor 88yo father is sweating his hell care which was bought out by BP from ARCO. Mom has a lot of problems with Alzheimer's. BP goes bankrupt and if it is not in trust where are M and D? Don't think it is in trust, the pension funds.
A Scottish pension fund, Lothian, has sued BP for mucho for their lies about their Alaska spills and derelictions.
Der fleecers sleep in luxuriant splendor, we fleece them now eh chatzy. Equipment needed; Tasteful suit, power tie, wing tips, black brief case, and a silver tongue to baffle them with their own conceit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8ioa_7axug
hee hee they are putty in the hands of one like this.
My attempt at humor Nina, I am glad you got that all fixed, the universe smiles on people such as you and deseervedly so. Guinea Pigs are such cute little fur balls. In the summer we would put chocolate and Caramel out on the lawn in the back yard in a little pen and covered the top, they loved it and they were loved. Listening to Johny play that song, music is the language that crosses all barriers no matter what they are.
The comments section gets too weird...
it's like Bruce Sterling's s.f....
I don't go into that b/c he was my supervisor at the Texas Legislative Council before he made it big, in the eighties... and I had to proofread his shit, as a slave... at Table 5 and 7.
But he was right.. I was resentful at the time, ordering me to proofread his shit when I should have been reading Texas Resolution xyz, but now, I don't regret it. Take the short story, "Jim and Irene." That should say something.
Hi Tex. I cannot remember which site it was, a popular financial site anyway, repeating a rumor either Exxon or Royal Dutch Shell may be in the acquiring business soon. We shall see. Keep your eyes on the ball and watch for something like it in the money news.
BP can't continue as it is. But I don't think they will vanish either.
Your mom has Alzheimer's? Mine did too. My father, rest in peace, used to say if ever the devil created a disease, that one was it. A ten year tragedy. Stay strong Tex. I send you empathy.
Hey Anon. If Bruce Sterling's Distraction isn't a solid preparation for the near future I don't know what is. I already know Burning Man spawned nomads who wander about secure in their complete lack of steady employment or housing. I expect local governments to start roadblocking to raise funds any day now. As long as we don't stumble into the world of Heavy Weather.
I can see you a twenty-something, fresh grad sitting there proofing the work wondering what kind of twisted mind spawned that. Who knew it was your future eh?
Thanks Burnie, the engine is lost. I threw a rod and its completely blown. Its got to be an omen. I am confident that somehow, everything will be fine, someone will show up with a spare bicycle or something.
Good you had the top on the piggies, no predators mistaking them for oversize gophers. I can tell by everything you've said about Chocolate and Caramel, they were loved very much. They were Albinos, right? Heh.
You will enjoy Su's site if you have not been over there already.
Yea they were albino chocolate and Albino caramel hee hee. I am going to get to meet Murph and Freeacre this Sunday which will be a treat. We live close to each other.
Sorry about your rig, is that all you had? Is there a junkyard nearby where you could pick up a used engine. I can send 20.00 if it will help. If I won the lottery (right) you would have no worries mate.
I will visit Su's site.
Pangolin-I will soon be one of those nomads, only just slightly older, and I will wander the land if plans hold. I rent the house I live in and cannot stay...unless a miracle occurs, hey it can happen.
Best to all who see and stand.
Yeah that's it... mom has severe Alzheimer's and Dad can't walk (WW2 injury). They've always despised my views and now they are dependent on ..me. Do I go nuts w/ a gun like that doofus in UK? No.
Do I take advantage? No. Am I cruel and rubbing it in? No. Does my brother, or son in who wisely expatted to Germany help me?
No.
How do I get my strength? From Les, his Sunday message, prayer, meditation; you, my friends, and all the rest of it. G-d Bless! We can whip the 108F temperatures and all the other shit they throw at us!
Tex
belly laughter exploded at the relief of your engine blowing outcome.
i think it is at times like this when you feel that life has slapped you once again with a pap snoek that life also reveals her intense ability to turn any situation around.
infinite possibilities with the most amazing people manifesting them, in the most ordinary ways - which when seeing with gratitude always become extraordinary.
two nights ago i was woken up by bugsy the rabbit thumping on the wooden verandah. iona insists on bringing him upstairs at night. she says an owl would regard him as the ultimate feast. so here i was suddenly awoken by this thumping, took a while to figure out what it was. went and picked him up , brought him to the bed, iona came and joined, loved him, reassured him, he settled down somewhat and i knew he was not ill just trying to alert us.
wanted to go back to sleep so had to put him back on the stoep. rabbits and wires are best friends. he thumped and thumped some more. after a while i heard the distant thunder coming closer.
not used to it here. he obviously picked it up so much before we did it.
Lady Su Su, I used to know the stats on their hearing compared to humans, but I won't tell it here because it would appear a lie. It is far greater than dogs' olfactory nodes which are astounding already compared with ours.
That is how dogs tell time, by scent. How near, how far something is in relation to themselves. Considering that, Rodentia species possibly tell time by listening ie; how near or far danger is to their position. Loud = immediate future, soft = past tense. (Well, maybe.)
Let me thank you for your response to the Nigeria link. I am sorry that my fellow countrymen are by and large so myopic. Please forgive us. We love you.
Burnie, thanks for the offer, but no. I'd rather you have your twenty. But VERY KIND of you, I am touched.
Things work out. And the way they do it might even be predestined, I don't know, but every time something appears one way, the reality is never what was imagined and when you can divine where its heading, you can see there was a good reason for it all.
You will have an unforgettably thrilling experience at the Campfire. Isn't it interesting that you and Scrappy are both making a move at this time? Healing comes in all shapes and sizes.
It is heartening how many Bedouins we have here. We're all Bedouins in fact.
And don't forget, we're only in the early stages of Apocalypse.
Yeah, Pangolin. That was before
'Heavy Weather' though. And let's
bless our supervisor there in those
days, Dianne Stevenson Kruppa, who with her husband Joseph at Univ.
of Texas English Dept. was supporting Roky Erickson's rehabilitation from the Texas State 'criminally insane' nutward. His latest (2010) CD,with Okkervil River, "True Love Cast Out All Evil," should show how prescient DSK and Sterling, Howard Waldrop, Steven Utley and all those sf slaves at the Texas Legislative Council were, 25 years ago! - TX
Why does this happen? I just woke up after a horrid 5-day episode with rebound insomnia (got off all Rx meds in anticipation of the Collapse, including somniferics) & there is Les in all his glory! We live in strange times.
(June 3 was the 40th anniversary of my foray into the wonders and horrors of LSD at the age of 14. In retrospect, that was not wise. Far too early. It cost me maybe 6 years in redevelopment (in quotes))
what an amazing thread of multicolored thoughts here. Great stuff, and Nina there is no "alone" IMO quite like the desert at night. Maybe the Sierra in winter....
As long as it was only the engine and not your lower back that got blown out, all is OK.
charles
BP has a photovoltaics business. Time they ramped it up a few notches eh!?
http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9074&contentId=7038333
turey.
Hi Charles, I too like the way these comments threads go where they do. With the overabundance of "news" and its overarching "sea of marketing", we require someplace to express how we feel as humans without outside pressure, without having to maximize profits on our outlook on life in general.
I take it you are a "back out" person. It seems to be a common affliction in chippys. Not wearing the waist support up on rooftops? These lessons are expensive, aren't they. Just like forgetting to put oil in an old vehicle and throwing a rod, throwing out your back means we should always keep our personal blowout preventers in working condition. Sigh.
Well Rasta, that's like ELF going into factory farming. Perverted hypocrisy that will surely secure a sucker somewhere.
Good find! And "awful realization". Imagine the misguided survivalist trying to get a replacement part? Customer service/auto answer probably disconnects such annoying calls. Press one for English, press two for our excuses. Press three to end this call before we do.
oh not worry nina,I have the same problem with cars,they are stupid I find they always seem to break down on the way to an important event or something,usually when I am completely skint.
you have loads of chippys here nina, you must of magnetised them or something,a quarter of the worlds woodworking community is at your website that is unbelievable,that means there is probably another website,somewhere that all the brickies go to and dont know they're all brickies. strange stuff.
neil
LOL to your interior discussion.
.."don't go up so close to these railroad tracks, tomorrow is another day, help will come soon. Keep your cool. That's it, take pictures. See, its exquisitely beautiful, you could paint this"
will BP survive? note the last few years have revealed a marketing strategy known as "beyond petroleum"...in fact, they are well positioned to take advantage of tax incentives to produce alternative fuels. companies like Bp never die - they reformulate. Somebody's pension might dry up but the principals will not suffer financially. we'll pay for it with the cap and trade tax. our energy use will be monitored and restricted and taxed.
we're only an exit away from crazytown now.
glad you made it out of the desert safe!
Bullseye Chickory, you put together some pieces in a weird puzzle just now. When BP (global slob) is eventually acquired, we should know they were never slated to clean up by design. That's not their business and insist to this minute it is Transocean's job. Instead, BP was targeted for takeover exactly as happened to Lehman Bros. Recall the May 6th stock crash that actually halted the trading floor? It was Proctor & Gamble that took the beating that day. They make dish liquid which is the only detergent that suds in salt water. By 5/6/10 the blowout had already taken place, so it was a perfect opportunity for taking them down, expose their sloppy history and eco-genocides by attempting to prevent P&G's typical donations of dish liquid and make BP so detested they would beg to be reinvented as an eco-conscious entity as in "We've learned our lesson, we're good guys now". Probably why that CEO is such a lying limpo limpy, his mind is preoccupied. His CEO days are numbered. Watch him squirm. Lie upon lie, none of them actually logical, just paranoid to the extreme. Obviously, he must have very recently hired his own crisis management consultant. I mentioned my theory on the previous post and at Mirrors, but no one seems to respond. This is understandable because few realize how powerful are the global money people and who/what that power controls. The real question for BP is how much their shares are worth to a buyer now.
Do we need Charles to clarify? Probably, CHS, come in ... come in ...
Its not rocket science. If I had not discovered what is happening in Nigeria, if I had not read Pam Martens on the May 6th crash at Counterpunch, if turey had not posted his BP solar panels link and you had not phrased your post just as you did, and if Matt Taibbi at Rolling Stone had not so clearly outlined the demise of Lehman, the connections would fade into obscurity, hidden by the massive catastrophe in the Gulf ... and Florida now.
These open comment threads actually lead someplace given enough time.
You are right ..neil.., we are chippy heavy here. And I do attract them, and not just here, but everywhere. Maybe its the artist thing since a chippy worth his salt knows well he is an artist at heart.
Oh Chickory, I've been meaning to compliment you on your superb concept/artwork for the CliffNotes Outstanding, very clever.
nina, thank you (re cliffsnotes)
you know that Goldman Sachs (gold in sacks) sold off something like 4 million shares of BP stock while holding all their other petroleum assets? about 10 days before deepwater horizon. does anybody believe for a moment that that stock wobble on 5/6 was a fat finger accident? wasnt congress just then in discussion on ron pauls fed reserve audit? and then TPTB shut the money off and suddenly that bill dies a death down to a toothless symbolic show pony bill?
its too late to be reinserted into the matrix. i cant not see the man behind the curtain..i think the problem is that most people operate in the world thinking that it couldnt be anything BUT an accident...after all what kind of people would spoil entire oceans, purposely crash the economies of sovereign nations and poison pretty much the entire third world and are now working on the rest of us?
yeah what kind of people.
last night they started showing the oil covered birds crawling along the shore with their wings heavy in oil doomed to die. they cant stay warm and die of hypothermia with the beautifully designed feather structure matted up. horrific - i keep saying that word but it is inadequate. you can see it in the creatures eyes...probably i am projecting and anthropomorphizing but i swear i can see "why?"
i watched my little hens scratch in the clean grass and enjoy a banana this morning. these are just 7 dollar crop birds. when i think of the precious wild birds at risk - all the migratory birds, and the fish and mammals...
what can be done? sure i can divorce myself from some of it; insulate myself in the forest; not look at it, breathe and appreciate the beauties that remain intact. but seriously, it feels like time to push back. and i mean on a grand scale. this nation needs to go full tilt revolutionary against the global corporate cabal. but as long as they are selling left -vs- right, race -vs- race, and dancing with the stars, i worry we cant come together to git 'r done.
chicory,
how does one go full scale tilt into revolution.
i agree with you that something needs to be done.
i sometimes feel the internet at some level has been a disservice to us at some level - such a good platform for venting and release and yet not very potent in beginning to collapse the systems that enslave us.
the rachel corrie has just been boarded by israeli's. an irish ship in international waters - and the world does nothing.
fortunately the south african expelled the israeli envoy yesterday. but what is the bet there will be a terror attack at the world cup ala this rogue nation.
What, exactly, is a "chippy"?
Please pardon my ignorance.
Z
"The corporate cousins have raised the stakes of the game. It’s either them or Earth itself. When history passes its verdict on the current era, she will not assign much import to the advent of the First Black President of the United States. Rather, history will mark 2010 as the year a servile political operative in the White House exposed the seabed to deep defilement by the oil colossus, from which the world never fully recovered."
- Glen Ford, BlackAgenda
THEM OR EARTH
"You Will Have No Protection", by Alice Walker
http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article11319.shtml
So glad she found her voice again. Recently said she was partnered with a tribal for years, wasn't 'allowed' to question.
respects
Woah, so many comments, so little time... Zoner, "chippy" appears to be an affectionate name for us wood-butchers a.k.a. carpenters/wood workers.
Nina, I have fallen off quote a few roofs in my 37 years in the trades (yikes, can it be that long?) and could have been crippled or croaked.. but recent back problems stem from the glowing screen, posture, and the stress of overwork. Chi Kung and some major additions of multiple daily stretching plus mindfulness have helped...
BP's logo says it all--is that a sunflower or the sun itself, slightly stylized? They know fossil fuels days are limited and they are not dumb enough to ride that horse into the sunset....
Yes, there could be a BK and re-organization, maybe even some State ownership a la GM as a sop to the public, then back to status quo. I expect gasoline rationing soon enough, but of course at much higher prices.
Two quotes worth repeating:
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." (George Orwell)
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." (Leo Tolstoy)
I take that to mean (in part), adjust your life to rely as little as possible on fossil fuels extracted from 18,000 feet beneath the seabed. No, complete self-reliance is not practical for most, but how about a 50% reduction? We might as well get used to using only 10-20 gallon a month because that will be our allotment soon enough IMO, unless you have a farm, which will greatly increase your allotment of diesel.
word verification: cubionsp-- "cubion SP" the new BP fuel cells which are 'clean" (whatever that means)
this is the best thing i've read about the gulf oil disaster
respects to your back charles,my fathers back has also gone or goes he is also a chippy,he has some how now mastered how to make it go only when my mum asks him to do something.
he always has a sort of little smile after.
I have recently been teaching the youngsters in the local coffee shop the art of making it look like your doing something when your not doing anything at all
another skill I learnt off my father.
they appreciated this and thanked
kindly all the chippys for this knowledge and gave me a free cup of coffee to go about my day.
neil
Charles Hugh Smith
"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself." (Leo Tolstoy)"
That says all. I have been working on a poem about that. In a post I wrote I mentioned it at the end.
In my life of 68 years, it has at long last come to that, or I will go quite mad.
Very hard to look within but look we must. It changes nothing but yourself. A victory for humanity.
And all will thank me for not being such a bitch lol. Have to laugh, what better way than that exists.
Chickory
Just read that in my coffee fueled rocketship mind. I think he hit the mark. I do know that in this universe in any circumstance no matter how good or how bad, there is its opposite.
I am looking real hard for that, having spent the last 60 hours or so in total unmitigated rage at two issues.
The emotional content of this spill for me is without words to describe. The butchery of the Israeli's evokes helpless rage.
I recognize myself in the monsters, and that was a blow.
I truly don't know what I am saying, I just know a great need to write it out.
If this brings us to another level of horror, it will also bring us to another level of being in the positive somehow.
I am truly grateful and relieved to know that others are walking this path. I know we each walk alone, it can be no other way but we walk in solidarity with our compassion and care, with all that troubles us. We are all brothers and sisters.
And thank the gods for spelll check
Says Swami Bebopananda of the Church of What's Happening Now. I laugh at myself.
Post a Comment