Is there enough money in the world to relieve all the disasters when they occur simultaneously? Will there be enough money to pay firefighters when lightening strikes again? Do governments set a little liquidity aside in a secret column, (it should be secret now or someone will figure out a way to use it for something else like an infinity pool overlooking the Aegean) just in case all hell breaks loose? Or do they take out loans. Do they like to rebuild their mammoth beachfront resort hotels over and over? Wouldn't that be good for BAU to have a constant need with a constant flow of sequestered funds, new hires, new contractors, new designers, new tourists, new airports and hospitals and new high-tech security enhancements for all? Sure. And what if these disasters could be pumped into twofers or threefers, oh, that will happen, not if, but when and where and not too long from now at the rate its progressing. I sensed a little disappointment among the desperate shrieking pundits today, so primed for Hilo to be disastered on location on live TV, see it first, here and now as they quickly turned to Japan's coast with smatterings of the scene in Chile, a disaster on the scale of the fifth highest in magnitude in the history of all recorded earthquakes. The Chileans interviewed have a calm to them, realistic and resigned, fully disconnected intellectually to Haiti. Obviously this is because they are not descendants of African slaves, made malleable by debt poverty and dependent on the international shylocks, homeless, hopeless and shackled into sweatshop submission, ridiculed and starving: a true to life profound disaster unfolding at any time. No, Chileans appear confident their damages will be repaired without having to look elsewhere to the bondage of helping hands. The loss of life is a tragedy, but for the most part the damage to the infrastructure is an inconvenience, a workaround, to be managed by themselves. They are at this time reluctant to request intervention, shock of all shocks, because as they say, they have not been able to assess what aid they might require, if any. Of course, the road to the the other half of their country, the wild, untamed half, lies in ruins, they don't have a real body count yet. That body count might be impossible to assess. Lots of people out there don't want to be found: tribal people and such.Don't take my word for these things, my information has come largely from TV. The frothing pundits get in the way of real facts, cutting off leading seismologists in the middle of explaining enlightening tecto/tsunamo-fact to interview a tourist evacuating a Hilo resort or taking a break for the sponsors. Hawaii is a US state you know and thus what happens in the US stays focused on the US by supreme decree.
Japan has not seen a tsunami warning coming their way for over fifteen years. In one and a half decades you can imagine how many people forgot the lesson and built right up to the sea's permissible edge, but they say they are well prepared unlike California who harbors replicating fast buck developers, building into the foothills and difficult to reach canyons so the inevitable wildfires consume any vegetation holding the earth in place (like trees) which then turns into mudslides with the heavy rains of winter. They prepare themselves with huge nets holding dirt in place. If you've never seen the sheer size of these nets, and ponder whatever they could possibly do to prevent a mudslide, you would not believe it. However, helpful of not, they can't net the whole state or the whole planet if it ever came to that. Nor can the tectonic plates sit still forever. The Earth does what it does and we are mere Gumby lookyloos picking up a geography lesson along the way. Common sense tells us Japan is a lot farther away from Chile than Hilo and not to expect much except these colorful computerized graphics of water rippling out from where the stone was dropped.
The worst that Hilo and Japan will see are the terrors of so many people evacuating at once. Reblowing the sirens WW2-style, incessantly doesn't help. The hospitals closed to evacuate their staff meaning going to the ER for treatment of the thousands of panic attacks taking place is not an option. There will be a lot of car accidents and likely a few vehicles careening into panicked crowds hauling their most precious heirlooms seeking escape. It could get very messy.I've written often recently about the disasters one is required to experience in this adventure we call life. They have always been with us, personally and externally in the larger world. I've also mentioned the Forces that divine our journey - if you pay attention to them. It is clear the Earth has its own plan for survival and the Forces tell us we are irrelevant to this plan. We can invent technologies and predictors and evacuation plans until we are blue in the face but until we stop abusing the Earth's resources we remain irrelevant, a bothersome, tiresome, annoying destructive species stealing what never belonged to us and never will. We must be the joke of the Universe. Lovely, perfect Earth rotating on its axis with all the other magnificent heavenly bodies except she has this fatal flaw, those quarreling, relentless thieving humans squandering her bounty, intent on blowing up the whole sphere with materials cobbled together from her stunning body. In this way, the perps are organ harvesters.
But it appears she won't have to live as a joke for long. The humans will kill each other off and then she will calm down. There are more worthy species that help instead of harm the system. When the Homo Sapien species began to see itself as too big to fail, too clever and too invincible to be intimidated by the natural forces, we were marked for extinction and its happening now, in real time, in living color. Its even happening to you, as they bring the rest of us down with them.
When all has vanished that one needs to survive including materials to make a lean-to on the riverbank and edible forages are lost to the complete trashing of our food chain, we are cooked. Forget losing everything else, your possessions, your money, your transportation, your golden years, films, TV and the web, whatever place you call your home and all of its contents, its all drowning in the infinity pools as the violent seas ride roughshod over the globe.We have seen the future, nothing is left to the imagination, and now it is here.
All images clickable, taken onsite 02.20.10, ccc. 2010
54 comments:
Wow! And I get criticized in my province for being "negative."
But somehow I find this little essay in doomerism refreshing... bracing.
The real question is, will the earth succeed in cutting humanity's collective throat in time to prevent major biocide?
And will any scattered bands of a more enlightened humanity be part of the new biological/spiritual diversity?
Are animals spiritual beings? Are humans? Are plants?
I used to be a sanctimonious, atheistic, human-centered little jerk... attending seminars in the medical school on how to "deal with" animal rights protesters, and their absurd arguments. Most animal rights intransigents, we were told, are middle aged, college educated spinsters, or something like that. And that animals don't have rights, because they can't engage in ethical thinking. Lions don't spare the lambs, therefore it's ok to torture as many animals as you can get away with. Ever heard of opioid-induced madness/mania in cats? Turns out morphine makes cats go psycho, unlike its effect on primates (sleep).
And yes, I cut the heads off of a few amphibians and mice, and squished female fruit flies under microscope slides in order to observe the eggs/embryos. I did not enjoy it. It seemed like an unpleasant task that one had to confront in order to advance knowledge. Exactly the attitude that Dr. Mengele had, I have read.
And we must destroy the planet's resources and beings in order to provide ourselves with a "better life." Indeed.
And every new increase in efficiency and recycling simply enables the population to tower higher before crashing down.
There remains the way that "the remnant" (as Charles Hugh Smith calls them/us) ought to choose to adapt or cooperate or thrive. "Quakin' blues" doesn't seem to hold out much hope for even enlightened coping, but I guess we must soldier on. A good quote from "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy comes to mind: nobody asked to be born, but nobody wants to leave.
I'll take today's lesson to be a prophesy and warning that can be heeded, thus negating some of the dire predictions. Like Biblical prophesy at times... Charles' essay last week on the spiritual aspect of collapse was quite inspiring to me. And if our consciousness affects the outer world, as it obviously does, then may we all focus our attention on those beings whom we can actually aid.
I have a good friend, an artist, who is indigent: got a stroke from that awful viox a few years ago. Divorced,lost his job... almost homeless (the woman he is renting from may lose her house, and she also has a mentally disabled son living with her). He has some kind of abscess in the palate of his mouth, which is raw, bone exposed, puss... the whole works. It takes three weeks to get an appointment at the local county hospital where all indigent patients are forced to try to get an appointment.
Any advice? I may try to get him some antibiotics from a veterinarian or something, and I know a nice dentist who might be able to look at it. But he's about the only non-family being I might be able to help right now, so any advice is appreciated.
He's a good artist... abstract landscapes and such. He's a good man. A river rat... loves to hang out by the river, cook over a fire, read, talk music. But he's a good example of how things are collapsing, one person at at time.
Be well.
Please pass on this information to your friend Publius.
All home remedies.
http://www.natural-homeremedies.com/homeremedies_mouthulcers.htm
If he gets antibiotics, make sure he takes the full course. Many of us stop as soon as there is some relief. Does he smoke or do anything that would aggrevate the palate Publius? How long has he had it.
It always helps to have a buddy in the med system, it has its protocols but there are ways through and around. We are expert in this. Unfortunately too many people with too many friends can clog the flow. Your friend needs help, the brain and spinal cord are a step away from that area.
I left med school partly because of the treatment of animals.
Best to all, turey.
'sative' In Canaba.
It is definitely now.
And yet the birds fly unaffected and sing without concern and the butterflies continue gathering their nectar.
Savour these dying days.
What an amazing time for conscious contact.
What intensity and brilliance of light.
What a gift to be alive.
I love that image on the top of the page. Especially the barbed wire crossing it.
The faded paint, the sense of abandonment, the untold stories.
Love you
inner species
fighting
over who takes control
people dieing
for pots of gold
the old forgotten
the young under stress
the world hurting
left in a mess
it stress's me
I dont understand
somewhere out their
their must be good lands
where the people
live fully
no need to watch their backs
where the love of all the peoples
is present
who followed their masters tracks.
I hope one day
we could all get their together
but the more I see
the stormier the weather
dark clouds and rain
misery and shame
humanity in a poor condition
you could say insain
well insanity is for fools
I try not to be one of them
but I'm only a human
sometimes I descend
and then ascend
the highs and lows of life
I suppose are a test
and its up to us to learn
reafirm with the heart
in our chest.
..peace..
Turey,
thanks for the advice. I will try to help my friend...
Who's the poet? Thanks for the inspiring thought at breakfast, before I take my 3 yr old to swim lessons.... it's bright and sunny here, snow on the ground but the sun has warmth again.
The future's so bright, I have to wear shades....
Publius, we have had very good results (amazing, really) with a combination of DMSO (you can get it at a vet supply or feed store) and Kyolic liquid garlic for mouth abscesses that did not respond to anti-biotics. Mix them together, half to half, and swab mouth. Tastes and smells horrid, but does the trick.Repeat as needed. Might want to cap that off with colloidal silver to rinse mouth with and swallow for systemic cleansing. E-mail us his address, and we'll send him some, if he wants it. We make it cheap through electrolysis - expensive to buy. (Not that we are giving medical advise, of course....) freeacre & murph sunrise3@coinet.com
Publius_ Your friend needs to wash his mouth with a tea of Yerba Mansa, Anemopsis californica. About a gram of the whole root mashed and simmered for half hour or a tincture made with vodka. Very cheap. An outfit called KTbotnicals sells an extract and maybe whole roots. Well documented painkiller and antiseptic for oral ulcers.
The Traditional Chinese Medicine known as " Watermelon Frost" seems to be used in similar applications. Also a strong preparation of fennel seeds and anise is known to sweeten breath putrid due to bad teeth. Warm salt water if nothing else is available. Screw the doctors and their crap monopoly anyway.
I'm being evicted. Which I expected since I ran out of rent money some months ago. Of course I didn't expect my families total incoherence on the subject. I'm pondering my attachment to a bunch of useless to anybody but me crap. I'm as programmed as anybody else on the subject of useless crap.
Maybe the family will pull through and help me get a storage unit and sleeping rights in somebody's shed. Maybe I'll load my bike with what it will carry and go nomad. Hell, it could be time to relax and take that trip to anywhere.
I have two small boats. I could lash them together into a craptastic catamaran and play Huckleberry Finn. At least until I get to the delta. It would get me killed as the river is full of strainers in the winter.
It beats being homeless in the same town my kids live in. God, I hate this country.
Nina_ I've been thinking along the same lines. Mama's not happy.
Let's see if you can go with Ras turey to Jamaica. The Bush Boys Beachfront health and healing center ... with an occasional guest appearances by the Trouts.
You would do well there Pangolin.
Hoping on the vague possibility something will come through to keep you doing the same thing, dependent on the same situation based on already proven fantasy, thinking only of your own survival in a place you don't even like, does not make sense. Its dead ended. Open it up so you are doing something helpful for others and helping yourself at the same time in a place where you are inspired on a daily basis - that makes sense.
Pangolin, everything in the Illusion tells you its terrible, shameful, lame to be evicted, ect. You are supposed to quiver, sweat, bang your head against the walls and start doing the poor me routine, looking in vain at classifieds and be repeately led through other people's short term solutions.
Outside of the Illusion, where thinking knows no boundary, you will discover the opportunity of your lifetime. The Forces are shining on you now, this is your big, very possibly once in a lifetime, moment to go for the gold.
Take your bicycle.
Grateful thanks to Ras turey, freeacre and Pangolin for helping Publius to help his friend. Highest praises.
Publius, our poet is ..neil.. aka ..peace..
We are so lucky. Imagine that, the hardluckers got lucky? Sometimes little gifts from God just fall out of the Universe into our lap for however briefly, we must always tell them how we appreciate them while we have the chance.
Also, Charles' spiritual post got to me too. It was one of his best ever.
Your observation about collapse "one person at a time" is worthy of an entire essay. Everyone can identify with it and yet, we do not have to collapse as I was explaining to Pangolin, words like "collapse" are more words like "eviction", events seemingly spiraling out of control, all labled "negative", all of it backwards teaching us never to explore possibility.
Susu, yes, the Granite School IS an amazing 3-D historical construction of a real school of hard knocks. I want to know how many victims of Manifest Destiny walked how many miles in the snow to learn math with no child-height windows to watch the birds.
PS: your optimism is beautiful, it spreads you know.
Love you too.
Nina,
I dropped in today and here find a perfect Master's Seminar at "the Granite School." Awesome! Thanks to all. "Highest Praises!"
Hi Brian! Please send me an email, I lost yours in the hard drive crash last July and we are going through ugly melting grates like crazy. (artlifewestatgmaildotcom)
You are so clever. Master's Seminar ... heh.
The BBB Health and Healing Center needs land titling and the regularising of a neighbour that is squatting before I set up camp.
You are all invited when I can have you in safety and comfort. With running water for the ladies!
I'll be outside of Montego Bay involved in an antiques restoration project while I'm dealing with BBB.
Pangolin, Nina will give you my email if your spirit moves you to come to Ja.
Non Jamaicans are given up to six months I believe, at the whim of the immigration officer. This can be extended. One has to have an address of planned residence and return ticket.
Old to Gold is working, got some solar panels, a 3K inverter and a high amp battery charge controller. This will give me some independence with laptop, cellie, blender, lighting etc.
My '66 Bug is waiting to be licensed in Kingston if it has not been captured by my classic car friends.
When I hear of Pango's situation, Arthur Silbers medical dilema etc etc, it does not make sense with the vast wealth available. It does when I read the runnings, political and other.
Later, turey.
'unworym' Cosmic Valium.
Already thinking about a vegetarian roti ... yummm
And a sea moss to go ...
The situation "here" is so unpredictably predictable the only way to handle it is to already see yourself as "there". This works fine until one is forced to come into contact with any one of the thousands of things we post about, read about, see or hear about in the experience of "here" and then everything falls apart.
The movie at this theater is all wrong, every character is merely performing, lying, conniving, covering up, plotting and so forth, it is a badly written, poorly shot, budget flick with unending sequels. Does one stay or walk out?
You're getting that old "bad vibe on the horizon" feeling, its growing more intense, it makes your skin sting. Do you hang around or decide to remove yourself from the oncoming melee?
This isn't negative, these remarks are made moving toward a positive, more peaceful and realistic life experience for everyone.
Hi nina, I am at
brian@thefreedomofcraft.com
I wanted to send you something a while back but your old spirit canyon address was crashed I guess. If you can send me an updated email address I would like that.
This latest post here, are you considering relocating? I asked you before and you were going to ride it out where you are, I got the impression.
Just came back to visit. It was inspiring to read everyone's comments, especially this week. I haven't been able to find my ill friend yet, as he is in transition again (kicked out of the house of the woman who may be foreclosed soon,but he found a place to stay with a rather odd, antisocial young man who himself is leaving to check out an "intentional community." He certainly needs something new (the young man, who I find disturbingly... disordered, but he is probably a normal working consuming lonely individual).
Anyway, my current employer moved to a new building, and I was very busy with the move (I'm in the IT dept. - there are only 2 of us, hah).
But the CFO (chief financial officer), the one who was always bugging me about learning the company vision statement, attacked me verbally last week because I wasn't working unpaid overtime on the move. "I'll teach you how to work," he frothed. And threatened: "you're lack of enthusiasm will be noted in the future..." Etc.
He suggested that I might want to consider working on the weekend. I didn't. Thus his amusing frostiness today: "Did you have a good trip in?" I asked (he lives hundreds of miles away in the Dakotas, and stays here during the week). Instead of answering, he sneered, "did you have a GOOD weekend?" (He obviously knew I didn't work overtime.
How amusing... I am paid barely enough to pay the bills, and have no ownership in the company. Why would I work overtime for no pay?
I'm definitely going to accelerate my search for the future path out of this madness, but I certainly won't work harder for the bastards until then...
He reminds me of an abusive father, which I suspect he is. He had given up drinking for a while, I heard, but he's indulging again... Enough boring character description and analysis. I'm just glad that this "place" is here to remind me that not everyone is insane.
What really gets him, I think, is that I don't react to his taunts, or get angry, or lash back. Of course, part of my ability to be so restrained or even tranquil is the knowledge that such a stance bothers him... thus I am not guiltless.
Publius, you are everything he wanted to be and look at him now, an alkie and when he sobers up, he's a dry drunk. Dry drunk, as it has been explained to me by AA people, is when the person still exhibits alkie behavior (irresponsibility), but is not currently imbibing spirits. Dry drunks are generally abusive, very consciously they fault everyone else but themselves for all wrongs. This guy has a hard road to travel ahead and many years of suffering to go before he gets it, if ever. Do not let him bring you down, but don't get into it with him, there is nothing you can do.
VW: exinde (Navi for don't touch it)
No Brian, I am here for now. However, things happen. I remain open to opportunity, but I'm always fascinated with whatever place I am at any given time. When you travel as much as I have, and you have, it gets to be a drag to always be leaving instead of living. So I will see this adventure through for now, but I know other worlds remain open to me since like turey, I made inroads, bonds, elsewhere long ago. Yet it is here that I found Nature and friendship in a way I never have before, so there are deep ties.
Wherever anyone here ends up or goes, don't go or stay somewhere where there is "no there" there.
Thereness is missing from so much of the US of Illusion.
Heh, excellent. How perfectly Rumsfeldian.
Here is a there for Publius.
We're trying to keep the treasure intact in this here there.
http://www.treasurebeach.net/guide/
The forum is a great place to mingle with locals and fans and a good source of information on living in Jamaica.
It is one of the oldest villages on the island, inhabited continuously from Pre Columbian times. Our Indians are referred to as Taino nowadays. Our DNA holds their remnant.
Roti will be warm, Irish Moss well cold with a tot of brown rum.
I know, sounds like another planet. People saying "Good Morning", smiles in the midst of trials and the sea to cleanse.
turey.
'flanty' A flinty lady.
what su wrote...its my game plan exactly. i sense its all going away and it appears to be speeding up like the sky folding inward. every little sighting of something sacred is cherished ; i think i have learned the skill of being present in the last two years. im happier with less stuff and more time.
i hate the tv. i hate even more the news hags - youre right nina they are disappointed when they cant capture human suffering in real time -missed the opportunity to shove a mic in someones face "how does in feel to have your child crushed in rubble" man oh man i would love to see someone beat down hard the reporter who does that. i rejoiced when i read that abc has to close down some of its news bureaus. not one bit of useful reporting anymore. when somebody gets before a live camera and decries the fact that this entire set up is a scheme to turn us into debt slaves sick with fake food and pharma induced sickness, i might have a change of heart.
trout dug up a mole today. you should have seen his hands - no wonder moles are champion diggers! his fur was so soft and lush. i let him go and then maybe 4 seconds later tried to reacquire him. nope! too strong. i could not pull him out without hurting him. i was impressed. bravo, mr mole. bravo.
publius: i recommend your friend locate some ionized silver and have him gargle with it. infection cannot coexist with a neutral Ph, which is what silver does...deacidfies. when somebody has a knee replacement surgery? they put silver leaf on the bone to prevent infection. i gargle with silver almost everyday. havent had a cold in years.
pangolin: sorry about the eviction. i hope something better than you expect comes from it.
I can just imagine the mole fur. We had a gopher, I never tried to capture him, even just to feel his coat, he was too slick, peeking out and slinking down the hole as I came closer. He stayed for ages, I imagine he had tunnels all over the property. His name was Eric Gophy. He adored birdseed. I will put up his photo soon. We were friends, but at some point, my closeness would trigger his natural instinct to flee, but when he heard the birdseed cans coming, he'd come out for his portion.
Did you see Sage's (Su's son) artwork of Nature? Its not on her page anymore, but it is in the Gallery.
@publius
hi. You know, I was born in Oakland California, of which Gertude Stein famously observed, "Oakland, there is no there there."
Actually, Oakland is not so bad, nowadays. I just went to an awesome concert there by The Magnetic Fields. Highly reccommended. "Maybe that's neither here nor there."
What interests me is "all there is is is." (not my quote, Adi Da Samraj's.) The issue of Realization such that the fundamentally useless but helplessly, compulsively followed strategy of ordinary people to chase pleasure and run from pain is dissolved in Enlightenment. That is radical. That is the only game in town.
Good luck with the wage slave predicament. It's a tough one.
Brian,
Just saw and met the great bluesman John Hammond on Sunday. What a wonderful man, and amazing artist.
Ironically (since the genre is so different and not my thing), one of the audience members was the guy who wrote the theme song for "Friends" (a tv show), and was in a pop band called the Rembrandts. I had a beer with him and a somewhat annoying music agent afterwards. Amusingly, the agent stuck me with the tab, saying thanks for the drinks, even though I thought we were just going dutch... the rock star threw in 3 bucks,though.
Letting it all hang out: quote from my wife this morning:
"If you don't get a job making a lot more money, you're the stupidest person in the world." I kid you not.
Her reasoning is: if I want to be able to escape the system, I need to make a bunch of money fast to buy some land and stuff.
Needless to say, this was a great start to my day this morning.
I thought you already had a cabin in the MN woods?
Interesting point there, Nina.
My family (my mom & aunt) have a great spread up there.
However, it's not picturesque enough for some people - it's not on a lake shore, but a nice river. No big hills around... too many bugs in the summer, etc. The locals aren't artsy enough.
It's still my fallback strategy to go there and start a homestead.
This will not happen until people are dying in the streets, and my wife and her "optimistic" cohorts can no longer deny what is happening.
Thus, my planning and preparations (spiritual mainly, but also tactical), become more complex.
so be it.
Publius
A few arrows you might benefit from having in your quiver:
Masanobu Fukuoka, The One-Straw Revolution
" " The Natural Way to Farm
" " The Way Back to Nature
A scientist who woke up, transcended science, and became a "do nothing" farmer.
Going high over the bar: Don Lancaster, Your Incredible Money Machine.
Robert Ringer, Looking Out for Number One (obnoxious sounding title but hilarious book on "making it."
Going under the bar: How to live on Nothing, written by an 18-year-old girl with some of her spare time.
Publius—hate to break this to you buddy, but she's right—in order to be a hippy these daze, you have to be a millionaire. Hah!—gotcha!—just kiddin' :-) Creative's good too—you know, outside the box [apart-ment]. Oh I know, you know—you know Hey, I saw a pic of your fish-trap on VR :-) Women—ah!
wv: fleddle ?
The characters you entered didn't match the word verification. Please try again.
wv: gerrry
oh nina
you give me to much praise,all of us are little gifts from god,any one who comes to this site if their in they're right mind will be touched by your words and the comments by everyone else,you are all lovely people,who even though I have never met I already trust.
.love to you all neil.
As we all fumble around in the dark
Searching for a way out of the smoke and mirrors
It is good to hear the voices
Of other blind seekers
Feeling their way
with blistered fingers
Through burning forests full of the murmurs
Of the old gods and the new pretenders
A cacophony of beauty and brutality
Truth and falsehood
The herd moves into the heat of the day
To be harassed by the jackals with the yellow eyes
Stay in the shadows, which despite the myths
Are not where evil lurks
Oops, heavy snow again everyone. After two weeks of foraging lovely grasses beneath the budding Oaks for the Guinea Pigs.
From John Michael Greer:
...I’m not generally a fan of Thomas Friedman, but he scored a bullseye in his book Hot, Flat, and Crowded when he pointed out that what we’re facing isn’t global warming but “global weirding:” not a simple increase in temperature, but an increase in unexpected and disruptive weather events. As the atmosphere heats up, the most important effect of that shift isn’t the raw increase in temperature; rather, it’s the increase in the difference in energy concentration between the atmosphere and the oceans. The thermal properties of water make the seas warm up much more slowly than the air and the Earth’s land surface, and so even a fairly modest change in the quantity of heat causes a much more significant change in exergy. Again, it’s exergy rather than energy that determines how much work a system can do, and the work that the Earth’s atmosphere does is called “weather.” Thus the most visible result of a relatively rapid rise in the heat concentration of the atmosphere isn’t a generalized warming. Rather, it’s an increase in extreme weather conditions on both ends of the temperature scale...
PS I love poets. Also love John Hammond, always have loved John Hammond.
The pictures keep changing, but "Sheep Interrupted" called to mind an interesting tidbit. Call it Democracy in Action. Notice how almost all the sheep in the photo are facing in the same direction? Apparently most herding animals work this way - like cattle, for another instance. When it comes time to move, somehow the critters wait until a majority are all pointed the same same way, and then off they go. There may be something for us to learn here.
I see it every day Mick. We think they are facing away from the wind, like boats on moorings heading into the wind, you know? But your point is well taken. Group think. Don't act until someone else acts. Dumbola, huh.
If you're a herd animal you can likely smell something coming from the windward side. So all eyes have to scan the lee to watch for carnivores trying to sneak up. Also sticking with the herd each animal can hope that they are further away from the next attack than others. That's not an option for a singleton. When I lived in Petaluma we'd sit, drink coffee and watch the sheep instead of tv. Something was always spooking them and if we got bored we'd let the herd dog out.
I've seen a few flocks of turkeys on the valley floor lately. Unusual. Also the geese and cranes are starting back north. Sometimes they just fly around in a circle and yell at each other before they pick a direction. I think they're tasting the wind. The weather is very changeable lately. Getting towards that hot-and-cold running weather time. Time to pray hard in tornado country. Earthquakes are democratic but tornados get personal.
Brilliant post. Thanks.
And it was the wayward geese, weirdly out of their water element, that brought the mountain lion that came back the second night for more and got my dog.
Did you see the Discovery Channel Wildebeast documentary? They feel safe with "their lions" following them since all the herds have predators, they were comfortable their pack of lions would fight off new lurking lions. Course, such protection means the sacrifice every other day or so of a downer or a youngling Wildebeast.
Well children (and yes, we are all still children of the universe, still learning when we aren't earning, and feeling raw emotion):
I gave my artist friend some hydrogen peroxide earlier this week, which made the ulcer infection thing get a bit better, then my wife's cousin who is a horse trainer sent up some anti-life agents, and he's feeling lots better. He even has a job again, and a temporary new place to stay.
Collapse and recovery happen one person at a time.
I was exhausted this week, went to bed at 9 pm two days in a row. And I'm someone who stays up till midnight usually... something really got to me this week, as though I am being eaten alive, even though life is easy in a way. Work, come home, eat, read for a few minutes, and crash. But something is telling me that the game is nearing its end phase. I hate my "boss", even though he's just a poor guy with some kind of disorder like asperber's (seriously), and he has almost no ability to feel, understand, or express emotion.
Last Friday, when our company was moving, his 11 year old son was on spring break and was forced to help out with the company move. Something about the way he interacted with his son (he's divorced from the mother, who in front of him and to me called him Mr. Spock from Star Trek and actually basically asked me out on a date!) really freaked me out.
His poor sad son tried to sort junk or do whatever, but he was constantly ordering his son to stop doing that, and do this. Or just sit in the corner! He was constantly admonishing his son. The poor son seems like an old man at the age of eleven. God help him, and us. Can evil be a disorder or genetic? I know I'm sounding cruel, but I see now that the repression or even diminution or inability to feel emotion is behind much evil. Evil might even be defined as lack of emotive ability and empathy.
Since such unempathic sociopaths are almost bred for success in a modern crony capitalist economy, I fear we are all blood-filled prey for their vampire fangs.
God help us. Literally - as in, I hope there is a God, and I hope that He helps us, because these creature who are sucking us dry have no mercy.
Mercy used to be a virtue, didn't it?
John Hammond is a warm, wonderful man - I talked to him at length after the show. Check out this video of him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBSXOVUAcso
“Until the day when God shall deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is summed up in these two words, —'Wait and hope'.”
~ Alexandre Dumas (1802-1870)
wv: chroct—haha
I was thinking about "our predators" being psychopaths/anti social personas Publius. Sucking emotion and wasting time and treasure. No bloody lips just bloody mindedness. Really; no-mindedness.
Been using my gut tension/feeling as a measure of my company. Loving souls encourage a warmth and openness, "my predators", tension, anxiety and watchfulness. Still, the experts can most likely mask their intent with sweet words and manufactured smiles.
My ex and I went through a like dance. Quarter century later we are both where we allowed ourselves to be. Now we don't have each other around trying to steer the boat in different directions.
My mother, sister and niece are in a like dance with me. It's called the Black Sheep Tango. One step at a time....awayyyyy.
Oh my bags are almost packed, I'm ready to go...that song always chokes me up.
Later, turey.
turey, you are so right. All species have a natural predator, why not us?
The socio/psychopathic traits you mention ARE predation. This would explain the extreme proliferation of deviants in overpopulation, the really wicked and corrupt mindless/thoughtless humans hiding among us.
The only way to duck it is to stay out of the way, going solitary so to speak, avoiding too much contact with strangers, including strangers that are well known to us but never respond to friendly overtures or simple kindness.
You know how dogs sense danger ... and how carried away they become by the scent of danger when meeting someone or being repeatedly in the presence of someone they let us know they will never accept? Dogs are all too familiar with predation. They live by smell having 600 olfactory nodes compared to our 200, I think its 200, possibly far less, don't quote me, but dogs live by scent, they tell time, gauge past, present and future, by how close or how far away a particular scent is observed. You've seen this in their weather sense, with the scent of storms that have not yet appeared on the blue horizon.
VW: hexuqua (Navi for predator scent)
I always feel so badly for children like the sad young boy you mention Publius. This tells you no one has any respect for anybody else in such a family, most of all themselves. when nuclear respect is absent, its nowhere outside the home either.
You can see it anywhere - on a nice walk through the neighborhood meeting couples gardening, revealing awful domestic violence issues while chitchatting as you pass by or you can see it in your dental office, the dentist berating the tech, hurrying her, finishing her sentences, casting gloom over the entire enterprise.
I am so sick of it, it hurts. But when children are the victims, it hurts the worst because they are for the most part stuck in their bad scene and unlikely to figure it out as long as they are there, if ever.
Worried about Pangolin: how are you doing regarding shelter?
Fixed a turntable tonight, a Sony PS X45 from about 1979, and put on a new cartridge and set tracking force to 1.75 grams. Put on a Jackson Browne live album I had acquired but never listened to: "Running on Empty," 1977. Wow... I've never really listened to him, but the music and sound in analog carried ten times the emotion.
This leads me to believe that digitization in general, not just in sound, filters out the most important parts of reality: the information or ambiance that speaks to the heart, and not the head. This could partly explain the complete destruction of spirituality and morals and culture as the digital computer has assumed such great importance in our lives.
I'm gonna take a few days off as soon as I can and take my kid up north, and investigate job opportunities up there. The problem is that my wife hates my hometown, or something like that, so if I find something up my alley, would I just do it anyway? This would be the "praying for collapse" route, because I'd miss my kind and would be doing this because I feel things will get worse in the near future... and then I'd have to assume I'd be able to extract them from the city when necessary.
Well, I'm going north. Who knows what we'll find. Gotta get the old jalopy in shape.
Turey's destination seems attractive in centuries of monotonous labor under capitalism like this.
I was in the local coffee shop the other day with my son and my artist friend. A middle aged couple walked in, the wife saying harshly, "you're the most annoying person to have around imaginable."
Husband: "Take a valium, would you?"
Wife: "Shhhhh... there are children around!"
The Bickerson's seem to be everywhere!
My son still likes to give a blessing before dinner, and always includes "Thank you God for happy heart..."
The happy heart thing is the part that got him in trouble with the authorities at the church-run daycare, I think. He's already a theological rebel, which I admire.
Be well, all.
I see Chickory's getting her studio built.
Hey—only from the drunk and insane do you learn the truth ~ olde greek saying ! mama mia
Paranoia is reality on a finer scale—yeah I can smell a pig in the bush at 25 metres—Guess that makes me a dog. Maybe ... a PREDATOR !
wv: somangob — Na'vi for somangob
Hi there. Update. I am packing. Have to be out by 10th at 6 am. Shouldn't be a problem. Family has rented a storage unit for stuff and am giving a fair bit to neighbors.
Potlach. Hand it out; maybe some will come back. I have too much stuff.
I have family, mom, in town and two sisters within four hours drive. I will end up couch surfing for a while until i can find something. I can fix stuff for rent-trade as long as it's not too much in a given day. My back starts screaming. I have hammocks and Xtracycle that will allow me to do hobo campouts once it quits raining. I learned to weave waterproof hut roofs out of palm fronds as a kid; and to cut a hutch space in a blackberry thicket.
I like a very, very quiet living space. TV gives me headaches and constant radio or music can drive me batty too. It makes it hard to live with roommates. The standard shared space pretty much has at least one TV on constantly.
I'm awake now due to ganja used as painkiller. My crazy system thinks it stimulant. Black Sheep Tango indeed. I'm very frugal with money when I get it it's just the getting that confounds me.
Publius is soo right about digitization losing the content. I've had opportunity to go through notes, cards, pictures, and letters from the last 25 years. All of that was on paper. My digital trace, blog posts, years of comments. Gone, mostly.
Publius_ Please be kind, patient, with your wife. You and she will need allies in your later years and somebody to talk about shared history. The worst part of my divorce is that ex-wife is the only person left who shared that time and space with me. The split was so harsh we have zero communication. Nada. Don't go there unless you bear some heavy scars already.
Baz_ I've sat zazen while a red fox litter scampered around 2 metres away. Mama fox got used to us. She liked to steal the deadfall apricots that fell in the drive. It was so funny watching her do it because she would sneak even when we were fifty hards away.
publius: i had the same problem. i dont have children so it was easy for me to just announce to my husband i was moving and do it. my job was to show my husband how the move was the best for us both. the first summer of real food helped. and i think (hope) that through my blog, he sees what it is i am trying to do. i really believe that my retirement plan is as viable as his own traditional one. he too feels that one must have a pile of money before a change can be made. that is how people get trapped -waiting for the right time. well, i dont want to postpone the adventure! ii think our marriage is better for it. when we are together it is a true "together" when we are apart we can focus on our respective projects. again, i understand that a son changes things for you but i think a few weeks at the farm is needed so you can illustrate to your wife how it could be.
the town isnt arty enough? great! SHE can be the catalyst for making it more so. you gotta sell it, publius! she sounds like shes speaking out of fear of the unknown. so, do a little trial run this summer. I liked the book "animal, vegetable, miracle" by barbara kingsolver. its about a city family making the transition to a rural agricultural life and what they discovered about themselves along the way.
Pangolin
A couple of months ago I saw a guy riding down the road with a pack on his rear fender with a solar battery charger on it, flying the Jolly Roger. I was intrigued and talked to him and offered him a job for a few days which ended up being three weeks. He has been bicycle-nomading it around the US for 5 years. He is 56 and loves to chain smoke and drink coffee.. He told me he mostly likes to stay out of towns, camps on blm land alot, spends about 300 bucks a month, works as a short order cook once in a while when he wants cash. He called me the other day from Arizona, where is is wintering, and said he will start coming North in about a month when it warms up. He charges a cell phone with the sun. A very inspiring character, he rides 20-30 miles a day, why rush? Very contemplative guy, who is doing what he loves to do, going "under the bar" successfully, taking his present opportunity for freedom. Don't know if you have heard of Cabeza de Vaca? He was part of an expedition to "The New World" that landed in Florida and all but him were immediately killed by the "Indians." He got away and ended up walking across the continent. In the process he got purified, and at one point he was grabbed and told he had one night to cure the chief's daughter or else and so he ended up discovering that he could do it, he had become a shaman from the tapas he had endured. (Sanskrit tapas--austerities, not snacks! haha)So he continued across the continent, passing from one tribe to the next, healing people. When he got to Spanish territory in California he started living like a "civilized" guy again and the power left him. He wrote about it all, very interesting document.
My back never went into spasm. The most intense pain but for the poisons from a portuguese man o war. Thanks to Advil and Kushumpeng.
Oops, there goes a 16th Century limestone mortar...a Native stone head...an Ethiopian copy of the Ark...Into the bin, someone at the dump is gonna get some goodies. Can't say anything, it's "Old Junk", I should have had a real job and not waste $ on foolishness. Old gone...I'm on the way too.
The Real Old stashed for further 'Old to Gold' (-;
'Old' gave us trips to Europe and fed and clothed us for two decades. Foolishness!?
My son and eldest daughter now see why Black Sheep was Tangoing so much. Even an attempt at unconditional love sends a message Publius, your son has you as guide and protector. You are both fortunate. Best wishes for your trip N.
I could open the fridge and feed my? dogs. They could sense things I could not, yes smell and instinct. We worked well together.
How long does it take for an obsessive compulsive to turn a home into a house? Seen it too often.
Live Up, turey.
'sub-ess-u' Yea WPG, sub no more. Time to surface and roar!
Post a Comment