D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

the song remains the same

Communication Breakdown, It's always the same. I'm having a nervous breakdown, Drive me insane. (Page, Jones, Bonham)

Here's an MSM headline from today, "Experts say cold snap doesn't disprove global warming". As if to subliminally suggest well, hey, we were right all along. Then you go with their flow and payment schedules and voila, they gotcha. What the headline actually says is cap and traders are civilization's heroes. Whatever programs they've agreed upon at this early (too late) date, programs that stripmine the global poor for the benefit of the waddling rich and whatever parts were shelved for later and whatever parts will never be acknowledged even among themselves, none of it addresses the issue the way the issue demands. However, we've come a long way - relatively. Something (the usual) is being allowed to surface. It appeared for a while it was not going to be addressed at all. (It still isn't.) That it is being tossed about like a bolo ball, always returning to the paddle held by the richest (and domineering) nations, is just another bailout in disguise, and there are many - such as the body scanning machine subsidiary waiting patiently under the same no-bid manufacturing umbrella as Abu Ghraib's shackles and waterboards. What is wrong with bailouts? As I understand the movement, the money window provides loans with a large and ominous ball of string attached from which dangles the requirement to "retrofit western or else". We could say, the lenders at the bailout window double duty as the nation's and the world's largest collection agency who's ability to collect rides herd on the sovereigns' ability to grovel penniless while mouthing platitudes and opening up their airspace, obviously a shabby reality subhead under the banner of World Economics aka Foreign Policy in which the global map is being redrawn at gunpoint extincting nice people like the Bedouins.

Retrofitting western means pony up while the pony is collapsing from an extreme overdose of lucrative, but finite, natural resources. When you're out walking and you see an SUV with a pony up bumpersticker you'd know the driver has been driven insane. I saw one parked at the post office last month. Try to stay out of his lane ...

What are we supposed to do? Are we supposed to write complimentary emails to our representatives in congress? Are we supposed to disrupt protests and report on our neighbors comings and goings? No, we are supposed to send donations. That's all they want. Don't expect any return on the invesment. Nothing will buy us any truth. They are not, under any circumstances, including natural disaster and public condemnation, coming clean. Chris Floyd pointed out in his recent and excellent essay, Blowback On the Border: The Purpose of the Terror War System:
...And so, as I wrote the day after 9/11 (and quoted again recently, in this piece about Obama's surging Terror War):
"Blood will have blood; that's certain. But blood will not end it. For murder is fertile: it breeds more death, like a spider laden with a thousand eggs. And who now can break this cycle, which has been going on for generations?"

The cycle will go on -- because that is what is wanted. The purpose of the system is what it does...
Indigenous poverty, poor health and ignorance is policy within the system. In similar style, our friend Publius is being pressured to memorize his employer's corporate mission statement, the peoples of the western world are supposed to memorize and live, to the best of their abilities, the mission statement of the terror system. This is why it is unfailing, repeated in endless reruns, serialized, from top tier to the bottom rung, always with us, in our food, our water, our entertainments, our travels within the permissible minuscule radius. Its like living on a giant sheet of flypaper. Our wings are beating but our bodies stuck.

The facts and questions presented by The Oil Drum come in the format of eloquent essays, painstakingly researched, if you want to know anything about peak, that's ground zero to start. Yesterday's question was Why doesn't government talk about peak oil? I'd judge that question equally as thrilling as Led Zep's Houses of the Holy. We know why they don't, dont we. Today's Oil Drum roll, as you can see in my sidebar, concerns Iraq delaying peak for another decade or so due to massive supply. It shows a chart of deals made per oil field. The US is not on the list. Oops, after all that ongoing carnage? The disclaimer is a new Iraqi administration could revise all the deals when and if it pleases. If I was going to comment over there, I would ask, loudly, why in the hell would they ever give us any deals? Maliki, the current Howdy Doody, has his breaking point as we have seen before, whatever else he may be, can't be pleased to be forever cast in a patsy role and I suspect it won't hold for the long run. Just wait until he's forced to deal with Iran. Bad scene on the horizon... he will be forced against Amindenejad, a man known for making decisions on his own without any outside interlocutors.

We envision the neocon vampires in their midnight office of special plans toiling away at distasteful arrangements laboring to achieve a nefarious goal while bullhorning the goal (the system and its policies) as altruistic. Whenever it became too complicated and might possibly give away its corrupt intent, the items too noxious to speak of were snuck into secret files labeled classified on which a decal was pasted saying executive privileged. In other words, the system and its policies have their own designated language which is the language of True Blood. All the lawyers had to go back to continuing professional education seminars to learn True Blood. Some even managed to lobby for TV courses successfully as evidenced by Dexter and the Sopranos, Sons of Anarchy and the Tudors which they download and watch on their Blackberries between show trials between the hours of daylight and dawn lest they turn to ancient ash.

I wonder if anyone in Yemen (rhymes with lemon) is having an "Oh my God, what have we done?" moment? Likely, but in the spirit of The Vulcans, you'd better keep it to yourself because its all over now.

21 comments:

RW said...

The purpose of the system is what it does...

and so I've been saying, screaming, yelling, pointing out to people, for decades since I got it in the sixties.

the self imposed latex shadow makes people reply with, "The only way to change the system is by working within the system for change"

"The same old thing" being the most potent weapon in the arsenal of the darkside. . .

nina said...

I'm always glad to see you commenting RW. You commented while I was proofing, so the post has been tweaked only slightly.
I got it too in the 60's and forgot it briefly while I went through motherhood and became trapped in the washing machine, ah but it comes back in every spoken and unspoken thought and deed. Now, well, somebody would have to be a vegetable not to get it. Even then there are omens hovering. Its become to some a familiar comfort, like home.

RW said...

"Fasten your seatbelt, Kansas is goin' bye bye"

This blog serves as a gateway for people who dare ask me what I read about.

You do a wonderful job of gatekeeper into a place where the default programs comfort zone is threatened.

I've learned a lot about a careful approach here.

Sincere thanks

RW

wv: wayery

Jacob Gittes said...

I just keep coming back to this essay, which I still haven't read in its entirety. I feel like something is shifting in my own, personal sphere.
From whatever angle you approach it, the present offers no way out. This is not the least of its virtues. From those who seek hope above all, it tears away every firm ground. Those who claim to have solutions are contradicted almost immediately. Everyone agrees that things can only get worse. “The future has no future” is the wisdom of an age that, for all its appearance of perfect normalcy, has reached the level of consciousness of the first punks.


The sphere of political representation has come to a close. From left to right, it’s the same nothingness striking the pose of an emperor or a savior, the same sales assistants adjusting their discourse according to the findings of the latest surveys. Those who still vote seem to have no other intention than to desecrate the ballot box by voting as a pure act of protest. We’re beginning to suspect that it’s only against voting itself that people continue to vote. Nothing we’re being shown is adequate to the situation, not by far. In its very silence, the populace seems infinitely more mature than all these puppets bickering amongst themselves about how to govern it. The ramblings of any Belleville chibani contain more wisdom than all the declarations of our so-called leaders. The lid on the social kettle is shut triple-tight, and the pressure inside continues to build. From out of Argentina, the specter of Que Se Vayan Todos is beginning to seriously haunt the ruling class.

nina said...

The disease is a plague. Worldwide. I recall those fires a few years ago, they said it was the antics of Muslim youth.

Publius, when my child was going to a private, culturally diversified elementary school, we'd have huge BD parties where everyone was invited as were their whole families. The families sometimes were Muslim. Best behaved children, most thoughtful gifts, clever and intelligent parents, what in the world are they thinking now? My heart bleeds for them. These are apparently cycles going on through the centuries of our existence, when do we get used to it? See Empire Burlesque today.

Jacob Gittes said...

I am enraged. Enragé. Which according to these rather too clever (but still admirable) French student theorists, is good. As long is it is attached to politics.
I'm so enraged today, I could break stuff. When I think of my friend from Iraw who, as a 14 year old boy, tried to save a young child, only to see her head blown off by a bomb when he set her down to help an old woman... they were Saddam's bombs, but nevertheless, we had told the people there that we would support their uprising, and then didn't. A planned betrayal?
The whole thing is a planned betrayal.
I have decided that I must act on my principles. Even if it leads to domestic conflict... hell, I've had enough of that already, although on many fronts that is going a lot better. The calm before the storm?
What will give my child a better chance of survival? If I stick around in the grind, hoping for people to wake up, or if I take the plunge and head north to create something sustainable, and hope that I can get them/him up there?
I feel like the trapped animal who finally realized he needs to try to jump over the fence, or die trying.
A horse! a horse! my kingdom for a horse!
These moments of rage need to dissipate, for what can one really accomplish in that state, other than another going postal episode?

Saw the opening of Easy Rider the other night... loved the commune scene, the young idealists, mothers, children, amazingly young bearded hippie fathers. I thought the depiction was quite sympathetic. Can someone help me find people like that?

nina said...

That was a beautiful space in time. Its still here, sometimes it only appears that its over. They would like us to think its gone when in fact its less visible, but more real than people being cloistered in a few urban locations. We are strengthened by their activities. If they would like to see a full resurgence, they are creating it now. I've always known this is how the Haight Ashbury came to be and it will be again in reaction to the full spectrum spoils of war. You too can live freely, its all in your mind. Since 9/11 I've sensed there was a mass payback from jealousy in the form of ugly prejudice. Much water has gone under the bridge since then, but trickled into the consumer subconscious where it rises to the surface easily when the word "hippy" is mentioned by the mainstream.
Just go on and enjoy your life, stay flexible, its your life, not anyone else's and the only one you have. Understand there is no one who has any right to limit your potential. The more fulfilled you are, the better for Eero and everyone else. That is your bottom line.

Susannah said...

Publicus my friend,
The only place the bars exist are in your mind.
You are freedom itself, but your thoughts don't want you to know that.
We talk of the evils that the powers are doing and continue to do but those evils are no different from the creation of our thought world itself.
If one were to pay attention just for one hour to what one thinks
one would clearly be aware that the only oppressor is your mind.

And you could find yourself in a commune with the most laid back people on the planet but unless you have spotted the saboteur that shapes your life the same stuff will arise.

Just one hour - watch closely.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Su.

Interesting view that 1 hour..+

It usually slithers by unless reminded.

And; more of those asteroids. My mom in organ failure, we knew the eventuality. My friend and backup in times of any need was feeling low and didn't tell me. I don't take 'friend' for joke! Her low is highly unusual but understandable because of her recent losses.

And Jamaica....politics, taxes, history, ginnalship (ask Nina), lacks and myths etc...

And the outrageous tropical beauty...being pillaged for $.

Taking basic luggage to please transport people and yea, keeping it simple and portable. Camping and tools. Red lentils and Nutritional Yeast, hard to find in Ja. The treasures get stashed until old to gold calls for them. Spring will be interesting.

The body spoke, wants, needs, desires, dreams, memories. The feelings ebbed and flowed with the memories and the concerns.

The knowledge that a change in attitude of us 7'ish Billion would welcome Eden reminds me to keep focus and know my attitude is all I have to work with.

Lights that shine and patterns that open new ways.

What else to do?

Saw ER Publius, Gets better every time, or maybe my attention is improving. This space is the nearest to the sincerity and openess that is the nucleus of such a communiity.

Thanks again Su, I'd put Mindfulness on the back burner. The plants and my moms cat Sam, remind me to slow, be careful and deliberate and Su reminds me to watch the Watcher watching. Besides a litle protein, some carbs and a touch of good fats every 4-6 hours, what else do I need?

My son and I meet later to see mom and work together for the day. Little blessings.

Check the less visible one!

later, turey.

Susannah said...

Turey,
Awareness - is there anything else worth paying attention to.
Today it was your day to have a candle lit - blessings on the moments. Savour them.

Susannah said...

Nina and turey,

Nina you ara aware of my passion for crimson at the moment and turey shares my joyful welcoming of an asteroid.
I just stepped outside and the sky is crimson.
I have never seen anything like it.
Will post an image tomorrow.
What a magical sign.

nina said...

Dearest Su-nami: I am trusting you are safely out of harm's way by now, you and the family and the animals, God willing.

I restate that should worse come to worse and material losses occur, we will do a drive and send you replacements, its only stuff and stuff is replaceable. We'll work out details as we go along. I've done this before successfully. See, nothing to worry about but your envelopes.

Please, if you see this, check in.

I was just musing that of all people to go through disaster with, you are probably the perfect one I'd choose to be near. I'm sure you will have a barrage of the most amazing insights and tales. The people in your area will see the true character of Susu today!

Hang tough. Try to let me know how you are doing and if the firefighters are any closer to containment.

Sending positive vibes, an invisble shield to the entire Susu tribe.

Love and lots of it.

Anonymous said...

My mom had low potassium, an intern should have spotted that first off.

My friend is showing a glimmer of humour, a good sign.

Worked with my son and had dinner later with daughter #1 and dogs. I'm fortunate to have them as friends.

Was the crimson from fire Su? Inland BC has had it's share. Hope you're all well if.

turey.

nina said...

Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds like a potato and banana solution. That might even be a Dasheen and Gomichele solution meaning the lady is a West Indian, oui? Her diet in Canada cannot be the diet she was born to live on.

My child's first solid food, I remember it like yesterday, mashed banana and mashed potato.

This is very enlightening Rasta, a whole new area of study and diet opens up, thank you. We must tell them when they get illnesses, eat what you naturally need not what you are trying to adapt into.

About Su, she had premonitions. I went back over her recent blog posts and its all there. And yes, it is global warming too, the humidity goes down, the temps rise, high winds and dry vegetation = disaster in waiting.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, maybe. She was on a low potassium diet due to pre-existing conditions but her blood mineral levels were not checked, even in distress it took a while to get to that.

She had been craving avocados so now she can have.

It was sunny today and birds were chirping, last winter we were digging out of snow. ?.

turey.

nina said...

Avocado? That's Pear, Rasta meat. I'm telling you turey, this lady requires real food. Its too neat, isn't it? You will send her packages of real food soon. Include some bush so she can make teas. Even better, take it in person if you find a way to do so.

Pangolin said...

Heads Up! Crazy Weather News! Greenland warmer than N. California.
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/04272.html?MR=1

Chico CA 43º F, 5:30 am local 39.8º N
Qaqortoq, Greenland 48º F at 9 am local. 60.7º N
Tampa Fl, 30.4º F, 8:41 am local, 28º N

That's just wrong in my book.

I caught this thread on Kos where they explain WHY the east coast and Europe is freezing its ass off.

I think we found where the global warming went to.

The last 10K years with stable weather that allowed for settled agricultural civilization is rather unusual in the geologic record. One of the threats of Climate Change postulated was that human forcing could switch off the Atlantic Conveyor current that feeds the Gulf Stream and keeps Europe and N. America warm.

Remember that crazy movie "The Day After Tomorrow?" It doesn't look so crazy today.

Su_ That crimson sky is the reward for running faster than the fire. Quite familiar with it over here.

Turey_make momma a pudding with irish moss; sea vegetables got minerals.

Anonymous said...

Good idea Pangolin.

Irish moss and avocado 'pear', two staples in Jamdown.

Many Kingstonians were brought up on western food and not ital bush products.The mighty supermarkets.

Bro G always has bush tea sent for his use Nina, I'll get him to suggest some for her condition.

turey.

nina said...

I just love Pangolin's plan on Sea Moss. I'd forgotten all about it, but I cherish a memory of the best milkshake ever. All you need is a blender and a beach. Make that a nice warm beach on the skiff side where you might dive down for some conch if you desired, although the craggy Atlantic has its own beauty. Now I'm getting carried away.

We've had a lot of snow this winter. I find the avian migrators a good indication of how climate is coming along. They were almost 2 months overdue this year which adds on to the length of a normal winter. But the best indicator of anthropogenic disaster is el-lay where they live (and choke) under the big brown mushroom. Worse, the mushroom from Bakersfield has found all the little washes and canyons surrounding the Central Valley. What is it that Big Ag does to make this mess? When is somebody going to put a stop to it? Incredible isn't it, all the pro-life abortion foes bickering over health reform while the brown clouds mushroom ever larger. Fiddling while Rome burns.

Pangolin said...

I had to look it up but I found out that the "bush tea" Turey and Nina are talking about is known to most of us as "bitter melon." While asians and many south americans eat the fruit they are talking about a preparation of leaves used as bitters. It's supposed to keep down blood sugar.

Nina_Now that you mention it the snow geese have been awfully quiet this year. I have seen or heard from very few. Usually they fly overhead in big noisy flocks looking for the best fallow field to raid.

Also, please tell us how you make an "Irish Moss" milkshake?

nina said...

I'll have to call for the recipe. Everybody in the ghetto on the mountain has a cell now and any one of them knows how to make a sea moss shake. Give me a day.