D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Friday, January 09, 2009

q + a

"The more I allow the man to look at me, the more I see god in him--or he is god--and the woman--us--one, nothing without the other."

I wasn't exactly sure what Jj was talking about, but if he was talking about *Outside Woman Outside Man that statement is an astounding insight. *Scroll down to larger works below posts for reference.

More Jj: "... is the neighborhood changing--not Les, but the renters?"

Yes, its been changing all along. Its worked out so well you could almost think is was the destiny of our package deals. You see, once you sign on Jj, you enter into a portal to an Andromeda-like Galaxy from which you emerge more than you were. It takes some longer than others, like plants sprouting, some are closer to the sun's radiation and thrive. Those that succeed, flower in the most surprising, unimaginable ways. Muslim banking, soil testing, gekos, the system, frauds, firewood, UFOs, ignorance, backpacks, Zen benches, Haikus, bundgee cords, solar systems, good and evil, art appreciation, stoveularisms, poetry, photography, there's too much to mention here. And still it grows. It has no end. All who pass through the Visible portal have a story to tell from the one mind, something that the evidence proves interests all of us.

On a personal note, I see it as a masterwork. A totally interactive, morphing, talking, Visible installation. Its better than the Cyclorama in Atlanta where you stand in the center of a circular building and walk round and round viewing the Civil War battles in 3-D, no matter which direction you look, its moss and plantations burning, the Union and the Confederacy in blood. It has an intense reality to it. People are effected by the the lifelike figures and the sounds of cannons and gunshots, running slaves, gathering storms overhead beneath the dry ice smoke and simulated fires.


unknown photo 2006


On long driving trips, at night, crossing the hills and dales of the high plains, I would see nothing for a hundred miles and then, like clockwork, like expectation had become, there would be a group of small homes nestled closely, porch lights on, bunches of vehicles and kids toys about the yards and I knew without a doubt people naturally group together. There was, all around them, plenty of space to live separated, but it happened so many times and still always does if you have a chance to notice it. And when you think about the nature of the phenomena we can see with our own eyes, you know you are seeing the truth about ourselves and our natural needs for love, acceptance and community.

We never need be rigid about it, great hurry makes for great confusion as in the commands "evacuate" or "rush" or words like "threat" or "warning" - ooooooo danger... one's time also is best used when they are learning something they have wanted to understand solely for themselves. There is an art to all of it, wouldn't you agree, a fine art and we are the living testimonial.

But if you don't have the taste for love and belonging today, it doesn't matter, the subject of depression soon come. Anguish, sorrow, loneliness and loss are just more petals on the stem.

36 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nina,
Yes, the comment was about "Outside-Outside"--interesting how after all the years of looking at art-eyes-faces--I never felt that I was the watched (interactive)and not the watcher--I was truly welcomed to smile with the "discovery" that waited patiently for me. Funny you should mention so much of what you did--it could have been my diary notations recently--if i wrote a diary --other than perhaps my scriblings here and there--When I looked at the most recent, with the boards up against the house--I thought the exact words in the title, before seeing them--Kind of in a lull--they seem to come, and pass more often and quickly these days--I assume they are needed so i just breathe them in and out--Have a wonderfully peaceful day--
Jj

Anonymous said...

Me again,
Is this what expands the universe so to speak--seems to fit--
Don't you love the character of barn siding wood--so real and yet so independent of our need to finish it--it would just take away--If I was reincarnated as wood, barn siding would be it--in a structure or just piled up--there is a working mans majesty to it--
I have been getting that "don't push it" whisper for quite a while now but need to be more attentive to it--always looking for something to fill the hours instead of just enjoying the moment--but I am enjoying the moments much more than I used to--call it an awareness--was just thinking of getting the camera out and having some fun in the snow--
Jj

nina said...

I trust it is universal, actions creating reactions sort of thing.
Speaking of "working man's majesty", a fine way of thinking about it, so Steinbeckian, we got a mall. I had been very curious after you mentioned it and had all sorts of fantasies about what a mall might be. So I snuk around the woodpile until I saw the newest working man's thing, ha ha, its just another axe fer pete's sake. But I have seen what it does and agree its a must-have for all kings and queens of survivalism.
Thanks Jj.

nina said...

I do love Ohio snow. My Father's side of the family is sprinkled all over that state. From multiple generations of childhoods of the past those snowtimes are my collective unconscious ideal of what snow should be. Make an angel for me.

nina said...

I see also why you need two of them. They should sell them in pairs. Although if somebody already has a good mallet, they only need one mall. Mall, mall-ette, hmmmm.

You can tell I am kinda new to this as a product of wishful thinking on my parents' part.

Anonymous said...

you say tomato..I say.......
I do love the change of seasons here and when that snow is fluttering down in the moonlight....yeah, it's good.
There is also a certain silence to the world when there is blanket of snow and the roads are rotten--everyone is home with not a sound to be heard. We used to live on a dinky little lake just south of here and when the boys were little, we were walking home from a friends house on Christmas eve...there was 8 inches of snow on the ground and it was still coming down pretty good--you couldn't see very far and we walked right up on some deer--we all just stood there silently for what must have been a minute--they were so close we could hear them breathing--one of the boys just said "wow" and the deer slowly walked off the path about 15 feet and let us pass--beautiful moment that will always be in my heart that we got to all be a part of all that is in that one moment--holding little gloved hands --and there was magic in the world--have not thought of that in a while--thanks
wow
Jj

notamobster said...

Nina - etymology...oh, how I love a woman who thinks....

Jj - don't know if you'll check back on the last post' comments, so I'll cut and paste here:

Jj,

yes, the renters seem to be changing... but, I'm viewing it as a good thing - though most seem to be fairly low-rent - as the huge influx means one of two things:

either: a) people are beginning to wake up (in which case, we can't expect much from a lifelong mouthbreather right after they wake up) or

b) les is hitting some serious nerves and most of those commenting are doing so - that they may get hhim shut down as anti-shemitic upon reaching the lucky number of times 'Israel' is mentioned without a sucking and gulping sound...

---------------------------

I was particularly moved by the barn boards... I'm not as lyrically inclined as Jj (yet) but that painting grabbed something in my mind and wouldn't let go today.

"Anguish, sorrow, loneliness and loss are just more petals on the stem." I have truly come to appreciate this mindset. This is my default setting...god knows why. I know that life is an incredible, amazing run-on sentence; punctuated by doldrums for most, but mine has been quite the opposite. I DO NOT WANT SYMPATHY!

I write this to you, because you folks get me. Since I implimented my 'survival' plan, I have been experiencing the most life-affirming series of moments. My wife is a Christian, thus we celebrate Christmas. I decided that this year, we would forgoe the usual plastic, Chinese crap and buy the children things that will make them better survivors. Well, I got to make the 2 block walk to the water and take my 3 year old son fishing for the first time, today... Oh, words fail me, for the sheer joy of this life, at this moment. My boy had a blast. He loved being out on the water fishing for food. Spitting to the side, like his old man. He actually commented that: "I like sitting here, the wind is blowing and there's water and ducks and fish..." Jesus, I wanted to cry then. I've been through a good deal. All of life's shit, and the bile, the abject misery life throws your way.... it all disappears in the blinding light of a childs smile.

Back to the default setting. My brain (I'm quite certain, it's a conditioned response) always leans toward the depressed, or more directly, the down-side of any given situation. Ever since I implimented the plan, I have been experiencing those rare moments on remembers for all of their days; all of the time. Somthing tells me - this is how life is supposed to be. This is the way we were meant to live. To experience the joy of each moment, rather than find useless bullshit to fill our time. Why do people think that unoccupied time is wasted? IT IS NOT! Unoccupied time is a series of moments when you just weren't paying attention. Every single event can be awe-inspiring. Every waking (and sleeping) moment, a new dream; made real - if we would only take the time to live it.

nobody said...

Onya Nina, I'm grooving on it all. And NaM, you're absolutely right. Me, I've always been inclined the other way, which is to say, towards happiness. I just can't help it. Those idiot ha-ha's I constantly insert come from how I talk, or rather how my brain works. Don't ask me why but I'm ready to smile at most anything. Kids win on this score. Just now I laughed my head off at two kids taking turns to push the button for the traffic light. Their folks were nice and we had a chat. Like I said, it doesn't take me to get me smiling.

As for your boy fishing, as good as it gets I reckon. Excellent choice for a present. And perfectly brilliant that he appreciated it.

And Jj, I've been at smoking mirrors for a couple of years, and it seems to ebb and flow, shift and change. Dominant people come and go, factions form and unform, fights break out, peace is declared, themes predominate and are in turn superceded, and the only certainty is change. We trust in Les and he remains the central body providing an orbit for those who choose to avail themselves of it. That's my take anyway.

nobody said...

Sorry - 'doesn't take (much) to get me smiling.'

nina said...

I kinda liked it the other way. That it doesn't take you to get you smiling.

nina said...

Jj, I just read over your first comment again and I am so very grateful you have the ability to express what is in your mind.

nina said...

...My brain (I'm quite certain, it's a conditioned response) always leans toward the depressed, or more directly, the down-side of any given situation...

Stacy, so true, so true. There are all these expert grant recipients to tell us that isn't so, that depression is repressed anger, blah blah last word blah blah. But then we also have all the whatever abusers, the walking dead, the hopeless, the forlorn and cast out, quickly filling up the space at the tent city end-game, when really, its as simple as you say - a conditioned response. Look around, look to the east, look to the news, look to the leaders (what did that stature cost anyway?) and that nonesense called "our culture" and there you have it. Drive-in, fly-by convenience for about 2% of the people everyone else emulates. And if you figure it out, more nonesense comes your way. Woe be unto those who wallow in the nonesense before they figure it out. They are the true innocents caught unawares. I think its much easier to have always looked at things sideways than to walk straight into stone walls. There are more stone walls than garden paths.
Maybe we have to have experienced unbearable pain before we can experience real happiness? And in the process come to understand the etyomology of real and happiness.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nina,
just a note/tip I happened to hear tonite about a recent topic--woodstoves. Some people in Oregon have been doing research about them for "third world situations" which is rapidly of course no different than "california situations", "british situations," etc. They were trying to work out stoves that heat as much as possible with as little burning as possible and one thing they are coming up with is stoves that have holes for cooking pots to set down in so that the hot gases have a chance to transfer their heat to the side walls of the cooking pot. as well as just the bottoms...I think that more and more people are going to be wanting to cook and also heat water in conjunction with heating their houses and so it is good to think about designing woodstoves that take this into account before the fact...People will also be living in smaller, easier to heat spaces so they can cut carry and burn less to stay comfy. I once lived/worked in a little barn and made a little platform in the space between the ceiling and the gable roof that was about 6 ft by 6ft and just tall enough that I could sit upright with my head just under the highest peak. All sides were insulated. i had a little electric heater with a fan that could heat the place like a sauna in 5-10 minutes on the coldest nights and then a larger oil filled electric heater to maintain the toastiness at the desired level the rest of the night and it was really comfy. Since then I always thought that a good way to design a house is to build a small, isolatable, low-ceilinged, easily heated part for cold weather living--the WARMROOM. Dedicated for staying warm in. Like I heard the Finns did--first they built a sauna, then extended to building the rest of their dwelling.

Anonymous said...

Stacey--you're already there, let it go--I know it feels like a warm blanket sometimes but that is also due to your "conditioning"--it's familiar--and although it sucks, it's what you are used to and therefore comforting on some level==What advice would you give someone in your situation--when you figure that out--which won't take long--follow your own advice--take with you what you will, it is good--it's not in what you remember, but in how.
Jj

Anonymous said...

If I had to do it all over again, or if I get the chance to do it, I would build a bank house--3 sides built into a hill, or bank--double roof for summer--basically a roof built on a roof with a breather space in between--a hand pump well in the basement (which is the only "real" level--with a surround loft up top--put in a skylight for natural light and for taking off to pull the well guts out when you need to replace leathers, etc. Some of the amish build their houses over a spring--you get water and can build a stone trench of sorts to keep food items cool--the water just flows from there into a cistern--doesn't take much wood to heat a place like that. Surround with pines and you have a nice cool place in the summer and excellent wind breaks--
Well, time to get the tools out and get started--
Jj

Anonymous said...

Honor the past, live for today--

Jj

Anonymous said...

Ordinarily, if I see the initials "G.P" I think of the category of doctor called a gp, "general practitioner." However, on this blog, with Nina and Susanna around, I think "guinea pig."

Anonymous said...

i wasn't sure when it would happen but it did today-i didn't want to push-(imagine that!!)
mrs. jj and i are reading and writing the same book (of life)--we just complete pages at different speeds--
I gave her an introduction to all of you today through your blogs--we're both excited about sharing more--she is wise,loving, and a hoot to travel the highways and byways with as I hope you will soon see--she's got some catching up to do as to who's who--many smiles and "he gets it" or "she gets it" as I read from some of the posts and comments--
See you soon--
Oh, as I was reading, she kept saying that one of the commenters was totally whacked out--turned out it was just me---
Jj

the Silverfish said...

Yeah snows really great esp. when it blowing in at sixty miles an hour at -47c like it is here right now. Oh Yummie. Nutin like being snowed in for most of the winter, yep just living in a winter wonderland thats me all over, brrrrrr.

nina said...

I would like to meet Mrs. Jj. anytime she wants to visit. She will be a welcome addition for as long as it interests her.Thanks Jj, bring it on.

Anonymous said...

Silverfish--same conditions expected here starting tom'w and running to the weekend--bringing in more wood for the stove or we'll blow through a lot of propane. Not much snow this year--average temps I suppose--but the wind at times just shakes the house--windier than I ever remember it being--on average

On another note, we are such takers, as a species--what is it that the universe expects us to "give back" to be in harmony--it can only be to honor all that is--please feel free to expand on this--

jj

nina said...

Hey there Brian, its always interesting to see you. I must tell you that in the ways of Third World paupers, they have it over us in spades. A Peace Corps friend one referred to their ways as 12 year-olds in the locker room, but I never did, I found them always to be ingenious, consistently relying on the traditions and materials of past generations because those thing always work regardless of the myths of economic progress. Holding these "ways" up for close examination, it always looks like wars are fomented to make microwaves out of clay pots.

Anonymous said...

Well, this has been stuck on 22 comments for too long so here I am with my can of spray paint--

I heard a great one the other day--
The greatest argument against Intelligent Design--"Don't you think testicles should have been internal"
Proves god is a man--
Juli about fell off her chair--

Hope I haven't gone over the line--
If there is such a thing?

Smiles to all--
Jj

Anonymous said...

Snow on the roof, just for me!!

Jj

Anonymous said...

Wood Stoves:
The Amish cut holes in their floors about 3' x 4' and put vents or metal grates in them to allow the heat to rise through the house--they also abandon the top floor in the summer and move to the basement and mid floor--there is a second kitchen in the basement level--much canning in the fall with all stoves going--quite a sight--

Jj

nina said...

1883 and Surviving is the same building where Work is Never Done. Parts 4 and 5 of a 5 part series.
Blogs are never done, either. This one is in a constant state of change. Indeed one of the available widgets is a slide show, but its too small. So we'll just do our own.
I keep leaning towards brief remarks instead of front page essays. This could easily be the future format in the coming weeks. I already made some grand statement about brevity, but things change as the weather changes. The snow is gone, its balmy, firewood savings bank is growing...
And you are under snow seige, right? Munching Swiss cheese and trail baloney?

Anonymous said...

Was around 30 this morning supposed to be around zero tonight with 30mph winds--less wind but even colder until sat.--wood stove is enjoying being fed--I usually don't fire it up unless it's going to be in the low 20's for a few days--well worth it though as I have not heard the furnace kick on all day--
Pretty sure we'll just be around the homestead, as we usually are--enjoying it all--kitty door is open for the garage and I'm sure they will all be finding their places later this afternoon.
Other than here and at michaels, I have been commenting much more briefly--especially at mirrors--what more can be said that is not being said already by Les--
I like the idea of the change of seasons with the house (surviving/WIND)--it stays the same but all around it changes--as it should be--

Jj

m_astera said...

Jj, yes. What we give back, honoring all things. Gratitude. I know it sounds trite, attitude of gratitude, give thanks for what you have, but it is the key as far as I can tell. I had to learn it, it wasn't anything I was brought up with or around.

It takes practice and constant reminding one's self to give thanks to the universe, to nature, to other people, but as it becomes habit one's life changes, not necessarily externally. Gratitude is the feedback loop to the Creator; that's how it appears to me anyway.

Last night around 3am the moon woke me up, almost full and shining brightly on my face through the open window (yes, the tropics) and even waking from sleep my first emotion and thought was gratitude for that. I've been practicing.

nina said...

Did you all ever see this? A Place Called Gratitude

Anonymous said...

Nina,
Thank you for the link to "A place called gratitude"--how true.

If I have to look for it, or come up with a list, I don't think it's on the same wavelength--not true enough--not gentle enough

It's in the moment you find your self smiling for no reason that it glides through you and on to where it rests--complete--

The thought keeps coming to me of a white bird that is not complete either--the only way it can be complete-and free-in that moment, is to glide --no amount of wing flapping will do it--

It's not in the effort--effort detracts--

It is in the smiling stillness that the bird rises on the breath of gratitude like a feather blown into the air by a small child--

Perfect

Jj

m_astera said...

Thanks Nina. I had not read that piece by Sr. Visible. I'm now grateful I did. :)

I learned gratitude (I was just thinking about this) from the example of my old friend Omar the Tent Man who moved from Hawaii to a little farm near my place in Washington. He was always happy, always grateful. I think even when he was worried and angry he was grateful about that. I don't remember ever asking him about his secret or him talking about it, one could just tell he was grateful and it rubbed off just being around him.

I had a rather strange day yesterday. My heart has been in expansion mode, getting more active, too much love or something and I thought I'd made a bad mistake and caused someone I care about to turn away from me. Nothing I could do about it and I had this heart overflowing so I just walked around and loved everything and everyone. The streets, the sidewalks, the buildings all got their share. No one and nothing was left out. It was a good thing to do and this morning everything was fine; I hadn't made such a bad mistake after all.

nina said...

I'm curious Michael, what took place this morning?
And what was the mistake you thought you'd made?
It is true, gratitude heals all wounds. Its in the giving of ourselves, therefore not commonly understood until you live it, but giving gratutude is the opposite of expecting gratitude for giving.

m_astera said...

Nina-

It was a personal matter that I won't go into details about, but the basic issue is, I guess, my openness, bluntness, and honesty.

People tend to evaluate others based on their own actions and experiences, e.g. if they are egotistical and always seeking their own advantage, or if their experience has been that other people are that way, they assume that everyone is that way. Being misunderstood, misinterpreted, or underestimated is nothing new to me; I already know I'm different. Usually I'm pretty careful to camouflage it, sometimes it slips out anyway when I get careless. Often I don't care, in this case I do.

On another subject, I've been enjoying your changing art show. Thinking about your work today reminded me of a quote in a drawing book I have that goes something like "All artists fall in love with their subjects, regardless what that subject is".

Nice to see Glacial Erratic vacationing at the top of the page.

nina said...

Andrew Wyeth said that. He said it when he went off on a series that was interpreted by his critics as having an extramarital affair. By and large, to their huge failing, the public has a trashy mind.

m_astera said...

GIGO, no?

The statement applies to bugs, vases, and old buildings as well as it does to people.

My best school memories are kindergarten and first grade when they let us stand in front of an easel and paint on big white sheets of paper: bright paint pots, a brush, and imagination. Why did they take that away after first grade?

My second favorite part of school was show and tell. They took that away too. Fuckin' commies.

m_astera said...

BTW, I do remember that series of paintings of the young woman with the round face and the long blonde braids.