D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Its Snowing in the Heart of Darkness

I learned rudimentary Spanish in New York food shopping on the Lower East Side. "Mira, Mira," the kids shouted, to what I have no idea, probably to the blind beggar hanging just outside the doors. As if poor mister blind man reduced to a passerby's benevolence would suddenly regain his eyesight and answer back. My Spanish progressed from there to shell game epithets and eventually to Lambada Portuguese.

New York in my mind is always snowy, dirty slush, dark gray and garbage brown. You learn to walk looking straight ahead avoiding the cracks in the sidewalk and the stamped metal covers hinged over stairs leading down into steampipe cellars. You learn that all of life is like that, if you want to avoid being diverted from whatever was your destination, you don't look anywhere but that distant glazed somewhere that you think you are going.

I used to think I had a destination, but really, my destination was to walk under Miles's window and mark time until the sweetness of his tenor sax put a soundtrack to the movements of the people and the one-man parade of the commoner King in ermine robes who carried his little feline princes stacked pyramid-style in a radio flyer, Mira Mira.


I got stranded in the snow in midtown one night, everything was silent, no buses, no people, I'd stayed too long and late at one location and wanted to go home. A lone limo snaked up sixth avenue and I was young enough and trusting enough to accept a ride. The gentleman in the back wanted to know all about me, what I did, what I thought, and we are always ready with charming answers, aren't we? As the limo neared my block I realized I learned nothing about him, I wanted something to remember, something more than being saved from hypothermia, so I started interrogating in an unassuming way of course, obviously this man and his driver were very decent people. He was an actor he said.


Well, then are you famous? Do films? Anything I would have seen? He wasn't sure what I'd seen, he thought I might like his most recent work, Apocalypse Now, it would be showing up soon. And that was that.


I couldn't wait for the film. As soon as I saw it advertised, I purchased tickets and camped outside the theater until it was time for the lines to file in. I pretended I was fainting so I could be first in the door. My brother played along, notifying the attendants. Studying the show cards in the lobby, the crowd still outside, I saw my savior was Robert Duvall.


I loved the movie, it changed me forever. I started wearing an Army/Navy surplus flak jacket and asking questions like "Who's in charge here?" I became a sort of walking encyclopedia on the film, the trouble they'd had making it, the actors, the lines, which led me to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and the Ivory Wars. I began to notice things I wouldn't have otherwise.

I traveled to Iquitos and chronicled the aftermath of the rubber rape. I stayed in huts deep in the jungle and got drunk on midnight canoe rides while missionaries converted children and crocodiles slithered at the waters edge. It was a place you learned to look straight ahead while leaping over tarantula caves or crossing tributaries on a slender branch without providing a meal for the Piranha.


I saw that life is a riverboat moving with the currents where strange and evil reptiles and frightened monkeys hang from trees overhead as you glide along. It is true we can pass a savage genocide in progress and we can pass the business interests responsible just a little farther up the bend. Mira Mira. But if you get off the boat, you are guaranteed to have hungry tigers jumping on you as you're trying to wade waist high to safe shores or you will find yourself an unwelcome intruder smack in the middle of someone else's Apocalypse where grocery clerks and errand boys serve a mad god on his way into a worse hell than the one you already thought you found.

23 comments:

Skye said...

It all boils down to choice, doesn't it? You can choose to let fear rule your world, or you can choose to rule your fear. You can choose to only see the ugly side of life, or you can choose to see the beautiful as well. You really can't have beauty without ugliness!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing more about Nina--we are all so much more than we have seen of each other so far--I would love to read all of your life stories--but I guess in a way, I get to see a bit closer to the finished product and that's good enough--

Jj

psychegram said...

Wow, what a fantastic journey. Thanks for sharing that.

It's funny, the way our unveilings are reached, each in a unique fashion, along very different paths but ultimately revealing the same truths. "Row, row, row your boat...." And life really is a dream, isn't it? A dream that comes true, if only for a brief instant, before another dream comes into being....

It is, as you said, someone else's Apocalypse. Once the unveiling has proceeded, once the tiger is perceived, it loses much of its power. Oh, it can still rend you to shreds, but predators are opportunistic sorts and will be far more drawn to easy prey, and no prey is easier than the animal that does not know it is being stalked.

There's some rapids ahead on this river, no question about it. It's gonna be a real white knuckle ride. But you have to remember, you bought your ticket, you knew what you were signing up for, and those rapids? They won't last forever.

nina said...

This would have been my comment on Les's most recent piece, but I judged it off-topic, while being on-topic. That is, on-topic for us here in a caterpillar on the mushroom with a hookah sort of way, but off-topic for some of his newer commenters who are still feeling their ways around the place. I didn't want to scare them off.

nina said...

Skye, thanks, you remind me to indicate somehow that clicking on that artwork will bring up the Tao universal dialectic.
And yes, it is choice. It might be just about the only free will choice we have left.

nina said...

I added a link on the Light Bearers list the other day to an excellent piece from the Village Blog via Ran Prieur's blog on free will . I recommend having a read. We don't have as much as we like to think we do.

Anonymous said...

Loved the story and the hidden door to the Tao!
The question of whether to attempt to interfere in "someone else's apocalypse" is an important one for me. It is interesting to try to bring one's understanding of the Tao to it.

nina said...

Brian, try this: What is the Monkeysphere?

notamobster said...

plausible deniability, my fair lady. Plausible deniability. One can sleep quite well when they ignore *** ahem *** don't know the truth. My wife is a head-in-the-sand type. I love her, she's amazing, she knows and openly admits the truth, but can't stand to think about or discuss it. It literally drives her mad. She'd rather take the blue pill and go back to sleep. She relies on my attentiveness and vigilance to protect her. I hope it works.

As for the monkeysphere: abso-f*cking-lutely brilliant! I love it. ("the title referring to his on-and-off romance with actor Russell Crowe" HAHAHAHA!!!!)

Anonymous said...

OK, so god hits his saturation point and says "F**K It....I just don't care any more...I think that's what happened--god is still there, he-she-it just doesn't give a shit....just didn't think that "go forth and multiply" thing all the way through---supreme being--I think not......

Jj

notamobster said...

Jj - to a tribe of a few thousand who are trying to control any swath of that wasteland that is the middle east, fairy tales and superstition were quite suitable to get folks in line. One of the requirements to maintain control being, you must produce progeny who can carry the torch of your civilization.

Nina - when we went to the city we noticed that everyone seemed like they were already dead, they just hadn't received the email telling them so.

nina said...

Stacy, I am so glad you liked Monkeysphere. Really, I am. Your reaction makes it worthwhile to put up links. But, aside from that, I am mostly just glad to see you up.
So you're fighting the Fray ... remember to come back to us when you want some sense of community. Its a good fight, but will be frustrating. Of course, you were forwarned, and I understand it is a serious mission, I would do it too, but m-astera and I posted for years on a similar style forum, and in the end, it just vanished. I wasn't unhappy about it at all. When they disagreed, they pretended to misinterpret, and equally as degrading, ignore.

nina said...

Jj, wasn't somebody recently saying something about feeling the Earth's pain?
And, are you not anthromorphosizing the Christian God?

Susannah said...

Nina,
From that link you gave:
"So, how do we create ourselves? We create ourselves through the one and only choice we actually do have at any given moment. It is our only power as human beings; it is the entirety of our free will. Our only choice, our only power, our only means of self-creation and world-creation, is our power of attention. In other words, at any given moment the only thing we are actually choosing is where to place our attention. Everything else is automatic"

I feel that this choice of where we place our attention requires such an intense impetus that this can again only happen if it is your "destiny" for it to happen.
I know many people who strive for this and don't manage and then some people who decide to be present and are.
Again I think if one takes credit for this action being one's choice, then pride will arise.
And with that the strengthening of the false.
But the river journey is beautiful, scary, promising, full of hope and every step of the way there is amazement.

By the way I am sitting behind the rock next to the sleeping tree, looking out onto the mountains.
Thanks for creating this space again.

Susannah said...

Sitting on the rock in the painting "Inegration of plums".

Anonymous said...

Just being somewhat of a smart-ass. My point being (if there is one) that the word "god", like the word "love" has lost all meaning--when we try to name it, it loses all value and respect--We try to define everything instead of just allowing it to be what it is--your definition may be different than mine but we both know what we are talking about--The words "parent", "man", "woman", "marriage", etc. as in "all men", "all women", "all arabs" "all americans" etc. lose all meaning if we don't relate on a person to person level--we are encouraged and bombarded with "group-think"--a nation and world of joiners--we try to define ourselves every day to ourselves and others--we see ourselves as up the ladder, or down, like a rating system that does not exist except in our minds--
I just hate the word "god"--must have been my catholic upbringing--

We are promised if we pray just right, if we are in complete alignment, if we...blah, blah, blah....then we will achieve enlightenment-always at some point in the future--the carrot on the stick of life-we have free will, but the universe or god will overrule us if it is in gods, or natures best interest?
The party will go on with or without us--it's not in "nature" to recognize us, it is in our ability to recognize and be in alignment with it--back to that gratitude thing again--not even gratitude but more of a symmetry of one-take in what you can see and perceive now (individual flowers, etc), not the whole "universe" or "earth", we just can't get around it--it's our 150 monkeys--the birds and flowers don't care if we are here or not--neither does anything else--in fact, they would be better off without us--but we would not be better off without them--it is in the knowing, and maybe that's all we get--but it is spectacular when we do!!

Jj

Anonymous said...

I just read Su's post at her blog after I posted my last comment here--wow, I love it when things mesh without the left hand (or hemisphere) knowing what the other is up to--I am having that happen more and more--it gives me a transparency of connectedness in real-time--won't try to define it, or why it happens, just accept it as beautiful--

Jj

Randall said...

Wow Nina, I've always loved you art,and this one just hits in a certain way.
You write in such an eloquent way.
Whoever nabbed you is lucky byond words, even if you had a 12 foot wart on your nose, or you had... whatever...
Whoever got to be with you is one blessed person.
You're one in a million... a trillion
I've never been able to find a woman who's an artist.
One who verged on it.
But I really love your stuff and your subjects.
But don't listen to me, cuz I'm just an old ex Convict.;)

nina said...

All the comments here are living, breathing evidence there is so much more happening than we think when we get roped into other people's issues. You know the phrase "be true to yourself"? Indeed, it does apply, not just today, not just here, but always.

Thanks Randall for your kinds words, you led me to reread this whole thing again and everyone's comments and I am grateful.

m_astera said...

Mira! I get "busy" for a couple of weeks and come back to find a treat. I spent a month and a half in NYC in 1969 and never felt any reason to go back, while some never leave. Perhaps NY is for those who feel more at home with humans.

This is beautiful writing, nina. Very evocative and visual.

In case anyone wanders back here:

Jj, one is free to re-define God as they wish; it's not such a bad word. One of my favorite calls to power begins "Oh My Beloved God, that which I AM". Not exactly the groveling of a worthless sinner....

And Randall, most of the women I have been around are creative artists, as are most people if they are encouraged to be and do so. That has been my experience. One can always give someone a pencil and sketch pad, a brush and a box of paints, or a paring knife and a bar of Ivory soap and see what ensues. To quote Gene Leis: "talent comes in many forms, and is frequently well hidden."

Nina is exceptional because she is possessed by art; she really has no choice in the matter.

nina said...

I am more than glad to see you.
Please put up the rest of that call to power.

I am forced to be very brief for the next month or so - both hands/wrists in steel and velcro casts, thankfully removeable, thankfully... Bear with me.

And thanks for your classic brilliant perceptions, Michael. Right on as always.

m_astera said...

That call to power is pretty much up to the individual from there on out.

Here is my version:

Oh My Beloved God
That which I AM
Love I You Greatly.

I give thanks that I AM
Sovereign and supported.
I perceive the Source in All Things
I nurture All Life to its Highest Expression.

Be in me this day
See through these eyes
Feel with these hands
Hear through these ears
Breathe with this breath
Think with this brain
Speak and act through me this day
I am Yours.

So Be It.
******

I know all too well the pain that wrists can feel. The wrists were for a long time my weakest point; probably they still are, I'm just much more careful about them these days. I've had my share of times being woken before dawn with by aching wrists, with my arms numb from the shoulders down. Any fine motor skills had to be done by watching my hands as I couldn't feel a thing.

I had to quit some of the really heavy work that I enjoyed, and that helped. Then the car I was in got rear-ended at a stop light and the problem started again.

As part of the insurance deal I was sent to physical therapy. What they did was put my wrists and forearms in a warm water bath (a Pollinex foot bath actually) and then dropped a couple of electrical cables into the water that were hooked to some kind of modified electric fence charger; pulses of electric current. They would turn up the dial until I said "that's enough" and then I would sit there getting zapped for 45 minutes or so.

For some strange reason it worked, and I haven't had any problems for years, but I'm still very careful not to overload my wrists, particularly slamming motions with heavy weight. Any sign of pain, I stop right now.

nina said...

The wrists, the call to power, its one and the same self creation. Thank you Michael. There is nothing that can take us there but some old dirt road traveled by our thousand lifetimes. I don't know if we are able to make peace with knowing it, perhaps there is only peace because there is war. Ignorance because there is brilliance, envy beause there is satisfaction, cruelty beause there is compassion and so forth.
The hands/wrists that create harmony then must reject disharmony which is experienced as physical pain and interferes with our natural balance until it can be somehow regained. Only the self knows how to regain harmony. These things are kharmic in their reoccurance.