D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Update on Presentism

It is only right and fitting that proper credit be given where  it is due.  This hot and sweaty subject is still with us, the beast's foul breath up close and personal and has a feel of permanence, but then so did the past while yesterday was gradually awakening into the present, step by step, the sands running through the hourglass of time,  we suddenly arrive at this peculiar situation.  An example of how the memory in overload of presentism stores information would be the essay I put up in July on Present Shock, much of which highlighted Charles' essay of May 22nd.  Thus the following correction and more on the subject:


"Present Shock and the Fantasy of Change August 17, 2013
The fantasy is that the status quo won't change dramatically, even as it already has changed dramatically.
It's remarkably easy nowadays to experience Present Shock overload. I wrote about Douglas Rushkoff's new book Present Shock: When Everything Happens Now recently (Present Shock and the Loss of History and Context May 22, 2013); the book discusses the manner in which always-on digital media, communication and work flatten the natural narratives of time and context into an associative sea of free-floating information.
With history and context both disrupted, it takes a huge amount of work to maintain a context that "makes sense" of our actions and conceptual narratives. Just maintaining this coherence requires a constant investment of time and mental energy. In this sense, the constant threat of filter failure or information/task overload acts as a kind of ambient friction, draining a significant amount of time and energy from our limited resources.
When I find my worklife decohering/splintering, an internal Code Red is triggered and I go into slash-and-burn mode, reducing commitments and circling the wagons to conserve my mental energy for truly critical long-term tasks. In a way, the multiple commitments and digital distractions of modern life conspire against long-term projects and the coherent organization and investment of one's time and energy they require.
In other words, as distractions and pressures mount, we become ever less able to focus on the truly important projects that are long-term by their very nature. ... "


I saw Charles' new post a few minutes ago, the subject fascinates me.  I highly recommend reading further at his sites.  In presentism, our overloaded memories of what someone said or did have no room for context.  This leaves us wide open for suggestion, implantation of context from undesirable forces as we see happening repeatedly to beleaguered little people worldwide every hour of every day.  USA, USA, USA!  Some might call it a war if they are able to grasp its totality of annihilation.  This IS what is dividing us because so few are able to see or define it,  much less get out from underneath its brute weight. 

Douglas Rushkoff's brilliant book cover, can you feel it?  





51 comments:

izzy said...

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen all at once." - Albert Einstein

There seems to be little doubt that information overload in our Digital New Age can lead to an experience of uncertainty about what to do, and difficulty in staying focused for the longer term. For those still enjoying (?) the benefits of Empire, an intractable fantasy about the permanence of the status quo becomes an almost functional necessity. But there is also an equally confusing, even masochistic, inverse corollary in the constant roll-over of fantasies about sudden apocalyptic change that is always just around the corner, as if things are not challenging enough as they are. The latest example was the sudden dispersion of warnings about the imminent approach of a "Second Sun" by an alleged government insider with access to the space telescopes. According to those very recent predictions, we should be cooking in microwaves right now. At least it wasn't necessary to wait long for the failure of that particular fantasy. I wonder how many campers were buried because of it. Now it's back to work, trying to sort out the mess we're already in.

Dublinmick said...

Why is there not a straight jacket on this guy? The inmates have truly taken over. One commenter wants to be sure that Ann "a little radiation is good for you" Coulter is invited to this party.

Chairman of Oregon Republican Party: Drop nuclear waste from airplanes for its health benefits — Add radioactive material from San Onofre to our drinking water (VIDEO)

http://enenews.com/chairman-of-oregon-republican-party-drop-nuclear-waste-from-airplanes-for-its-health-benefits-add-radioactive-material-from-san-onofre-to-our-drinking-water-video/comment-page-1#comment-373589

Terrance said...

Hello Ms. Deep.....be here now!.....no ants in my garden......no yellow jackets in my out door shower!....something is up!....onelove

nina said...

Izzy, there is a good case for non-doing through elimination of that which is unnecessary and that which is necessary for the stability and peace in your person in a similar way to Charles' circling his wagons.
I would think one would back away before allowing themselves to be immersed and only then have to take control of the situation.
But the temptation to address everything as it happens is blared from every tower in every sector. It almost can't be resisted.
The Tao is armor and freedom. It is also presentism, past and pointless.

nina said...

Mick, regarding your link, that platform shows us that anyone with a big enough mouth can make headlines regardless of right or wrong, true or false. This case is a fine example of presentism in its interruptive strength.

nina said...

I agree Terrance, something is up. If it was good, we'd hear about it. But we rarely hear about these things, good or bad. Secrecy in general comes to no good end.

respect

bholanath said...

Experiencing what your post speaks of, personal and also broadly. Had to eliminate some individuals from our life recently for stability and peace.

Bumper crop of ants and wasps. But trees turning now in mid-August?...instead of October? WTF?

onelove

bholanath said...

Sun polarity change? Oh, right...

nina said...

Wonder what the sun switching polarities tribe plans for the Olinguito ... coats? Collars for camel's hair coats? Olinguito paw keychains? No doubt zoo prison.

When discovery is bad news:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/meet-the-olinguito/2013/08/15/61c9184a-05c9-11e3-88d6-d5795fab4637_gallery.html#photo=1

nina said...

Yes, I'm having to eliminate too! And it is always unfortunate, makes me feel awful. Had a dream about it last night, surrounded by vermin and being protected by vermin. Which means, for those who don't translate these things too well, our weaker choices are made because we desire salvation from such choices.

With these kinds of typical internal and mostly unconscious dramas playing out among the thousands of other issues occupying our survival, its far too much.

I give a little pat on the back and hugs to people everywhere. Everybody we know and know of is riding the overloaded ferry to Cebu now.

Dublinmick said...

As you know I am not always Mr. happy guy :) But yep I am noticing some strange stuff. I don't want to go bleeding from the eyeballs, I want to go quick.


Pollen now contains 9 different ag chemicals. Bees dying heavy duty in Canada. flooding in China, Russia, Argentina, dead porpoise, fish and sea lions everywhere, sinkhole took out 3 story hotel near disney down here, more dead birds in Ark, oysters in Florida. Birds dying on great lakes. worms dying in Ohio, bats dying. This is happening everywhere … to numerous to even list.

When fish get too much radiation or anyone else for that matter the eye balls bleed.

Off canada

http://enenews.com/biologist-pacific-herring-in-canada-bleeding-from-eyeballs-faces-fins-tails-ive-never-seen-fish-looking-this-bad-all-100-caught-were-bleeding-hemorrhaging-first-noticed-in-summer-of-201

Russians don't have to go to Yellowstone, they get geysers down town in the road.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/12/massive-geyser-erupts-in-russian-parking-lot/

The town of Seffner Florida had another sinkhole. That is where the guy was swallowed and disappeared in a sink hole about a year ago happened. I would say the residents are fairly shook. A sinkhole south of me swallowed a 3 story hotel near Disney.

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2008/08/26/incredible-strange-amazing-sinkholes/

This was going to be a comment, it is almost enough for a post.

Cheers!

Dublinmick said...

The only problem here is gypsum is poisonous. A sinkhole formed in the middle of a huge pile of it and contaminated the drinking water.

http://www.sinkhole.org/facts10.php

Florida initiated the ... wait for it .... Phosphogypsum Management Rule! Thanks goodness they are going to "fix it." Yeah buddaaaaaaaaay

Dublinmick said...

We get two acre sink holes in Bartow, Florida

http://www.sinkhole.org/sinkholeblog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Sinkhole-Damage-Bartow.jpg

nina said...

Mick, I think its time you and your loved ones seriously consider the relocation of your home base.
I kid you not.

Anonymous said...

Thus the need to walk away from the empire. Turn it all off, be one with nature. Hold the ones you love close.

A quiet late summer morning
Gardens of delight for my day

Asking...What is my purpose?
Reflect deeply on this purpose

A new set of values and behavior for not only me but to the earth.

Let us have the courage to turn our backs from this story of the empire, this way of being, and instead create a new story, a new cosmology, pointing our hearts toward a new way that embraces the Real, the self-willed, the wild. Perhaps then we shall discover some true lessons.

Scrap

neal said...

Maybe the Tao is amphibious. Maybe when the boats sink, it is good to be rescued by dolphins, or otters, and those that hang out and impart skills that make no sense, except on shifting surfaces. You could even end up being taught by a whale, that would be hard to explain.

The waters and the dry land do not war, any more than the rest of this. That is just the making of something, up in the air. Goes back on forth, shifting sands, wetter stuff, makes Life.

Now, the place where that rescues the old, and the weak, is all over. Fear of loss has been confused with fear of change, maybe that is semantics, but the devil is in the details, usually soaking wet. It has always liked this, just a certain something hovering, and brooding.

That is the thing itself, maybe only apprehended in transitory states, just optical, like memory, and being there.

nina said...

Scrap, we see this very well. What happened that we see it? Why us? When that question is completely answered beyond all doubt, then things really can shift for the better ... unless we are up against aliens from an unknown planet. None of those employing presentism as a miraculous and beneficial way to live are going to reduce the pressure unless there is money in it for them. They need to SEE beyond the superficiality of wealth and power.
Yes, we can turn away, but it will still be going on and we and billions of others will still be forced to deal with it anyway.

nina said...

Izzy, the Tao is definitely amphibious, mammalian and everywhere. Everything under Natural Law is the Tao. We learn from all living species and don't really need a ferryboat accident to do so.

nina said...

Scrap, I was rereading your comment. On seeking our purpose, for sure this is the only appropriate response to everything happening at once. When we reflect deeply enough, the world as we know it vanishes.
Beautiful and serious point.

Dublinmick said...

Nina

Hey angel, I am hard headed .... find another base? I believe it was Jesus who said the only safe place is in the heart. I am not bible thumping here but they did not cut out everything he ever said from the scrips there in Constantine's court.

I am going to check out here in Florida!

Cheers

Dublinmick said...

A sink hole swallowed an entire lake in a matter of hours about 30 miles from me here in Florida.

http://beforeitsnews.com/earthquakes/2013/08/sinkhole-swallowing-florida-lake-caught-on-camera-stunning-video-reports-2469098.html

nina said...

Your link has apparently vanished into a sinkhole Dubs.
"We can't find that page yet. But it's probably still just being formatted by our system. Please wait a few minutes and try it again. Chances are, it will be here. If it's not here after a few minutes, it may be have been deleted by the author or one of our administrators. ..."

Are there preparations, other than moving far away, one can take to save themselves from sinkholes?

Dublinmick said...

Strangely that link is still working for me. Try it again, that link has a great video of the Louisiana sinkhole eating trees within seconds.

dublinmick said...

Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/user/getrdoneok?feature=watch

Terrance said...

Life is a gift!....that's why they call it the present......

Things look bleak this late in the game, however the transition from service to self, to service to others can not be stopped!

My take, on our present incarnation as spirits having a human experience, finds us on a wilting, not dying, planetary spirit....she will only take so much.....then the cleansing will begin!

We have a large percentage of our planet inhabited by simultaneous incarnations , with various levels of consciousness. Another large portion of animal spirits incarnated as humans to touch the earth....and then we have a small portion of sequential incarnations who are very bright in the ways of manipulating material worlds but have no heart....

First of all we are all related, and we all evolved from the sequential, hive mindset. One must take the leap of faith to incarnate as a simultaneous human with all your life times happening at once! There are two agreements and the first is you cannot have all your memories and the second is you must choose the time of you bodily death.

Presently all bets are off and we can access our higher selves and memories because the sequencial incarnations have decided to destroy the planet since they cannot stop the transition from service to self, instead of service to others. The advanced technological achievements cannot produce the gifts of the heart...the sequencials must take the leap into a simultaneous world to experience the onelove....

Terrance said...

Oh! Rats... Please excuse the typos.....
Einstein said, " without time, everything would happen at once!.....thanks

Terrance said...

Hello Nina....the memories from our higher self come in blocks of knowledge......as if in a moment!.....because there is no time in Nonphysical reality.....daydreaming with intent!

Dublinmick said...

Just saw another story of a different woman in Florida with tears in her eyes because her house has big cracks in the wall due a sink hole forming under it.

You gotta be tough to live in the sunshine state!

nina said...

Everybody read this, right?
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/08/bayou-corne-sinkhole-disaster-louisiana-texas-brine

nina said...

Terrance, that is the most you have ever commented here. I am so pleased you shared your grand insight, there is plenty to think about and identify with in your meditation. I didn't see any typos, and if there are any, the flow just goes along into your beautiful vision.

I really like it when somebody has the courage/urge to get down.

gratitude
onelove

Dublinmick said...

I have been looking at the sinkhole catastrophe for sometime. Some of them in Louisiana seem to think that the gas is not just coming from some pocket where it is stored by Texas Brine, but seeping through the rock layers in the Gulf of Mexico due to BP and all the oil drilling in the area.

Oh the oil people act like they know what they are doing but they don't really know the complexities of how all the salt domes under the gulf Mexico are connected. There is a giant bubble of methane gas and oil under the gulf. The magma is one mile below this. Some of this going on may well have caused the 8.0 quake in Haiti. You know a place where quakes are almost unheard of.

Now we have a salt company in Lake Erie cleared out near Columbus, Ohio after .... an earthquake. That is at the north area of the New Madrid and Texas Brine is at the south end. How smart is all this? You don't have to be Edgar Cayce to figure something is about to go bad big time.

chickory said...

Hello my friends, stopped by to send you love. Talk about the present: I have made it my business to be in the present. I just do my garden, some art, just enough money to live - totally abandoned my husband deep still in the hologram; got more animals and started sleeping outside. Stopped being afraid of what was going to happen - it is going to happen so i have to be living. really living. I do try and convince my husband that he is squandering the last of the good in his office worrying about money. he will miss his last communion with living things, sadly, I am not charming enough to sell him on the alternative. No time or will to blog - but I think of you all, often.

Terrance said...

Hello Nina....there is no bugging out.....it is time to stand your ground......onelove

Anonymous said...

CERTAINTY

Certainty undermines one’s power, and turns happiness
into a long shot. Certainty confines.

Dears, there is nothing in your life that will
not change – especially your ideas of God.

Look what the insanity of righteous knowledge can do:
crusade and maim thousands
in wanting to convert that which
is already gold
into gold.

Certainty can become an illness
that creates hate and
greed.

God once said to Tuka,

“Even I am ever changing -
I am ever beyond
Myself,

what I may have once put my seal upon,
may no longer be
the greatest
Truth.”

~ Tukaram

Anonymous said...

Our bones, flesh and blood are made up of the metals, liquids and minerals of the earth and everything on this planet is made up of the same things. As humans we have being, so everything on the earth does too in our culture, because we are made of the same thing. 15 up, 0 down

John Trudell

Anonymous said...

What I do every day
Is nothing special:
I simply stumble around.
What I do is not thought out,
Where I go is unplanned....
No matter who tries to leave their mark,
The hills and dales are not impressed.
Collecting firewood and carrying water
Are prayers that reach the gods.

- Layman P'ang

(From 'The Sayings of Layman P'ang', translated by James Green)See More

Dublinmick said...

A great truth, you know it is the art we must all master of accepting all whatever consciousness they are now enjoying and accepting them as our own we should try and grasp. I have a hard time with this myself at times. I am probably too outspoken, an aries. Surely all changes daily, in a moment, as our point of view.

Anonymous said...
CERTAINTY

Certainty undermines one’s power, and turns happiness
into a long shot. Certainty confines.

Dears, there is nothing in your life that will
not change – especially your ideas of God.

Look what the insanity of righteous knowledge can do:
crusade and maim thousands
in wanting to convert that which
is already gold
into gold.

Certainty can become an illness
that creates hate and
greed.

God once said to Tuka,

“Even I am ever changing -
I am ever beyond
Myself,

what I may have once put my seal upon,
may no longer be
the greatest
Truth.”

~ Tukaram

Dublinmick said...

Then again there is Da Vinci, what did he know I don't know?

" Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to a stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind " - Leonardo daVinci

Anonymous said...

"There are many paths to wisdom, but each begins with a broken heart.”

—Leonard Cohen

gregg said...


meaning and light


tired
exhausted
winding down
would like so much
to not think anymore...
it's tiring when
thoughts seem serious

if there's something i could do
for humanity
while maintaining my self
i would

best efforts given
nothing seems to suit
and in the end
it doesn't matter
one way or the other

people consume my faire
walk my stairs
harvest my gardens
dwell in my dwellings...
never heard from
again

likewise for all you
who’ve done your best
for me
nothing satisfies
nothing redeems

nothing matters
never did, never will
all just goes on
without fair

this is how life
is meant to be
in a dark and frigid
universe
it’s all
we’re allowed to see

but wait...
light abounds
in stars
oceans mountains streams flowers
and those gorgeous animals
fish bugs mammals birds reptiles

not to mention
the explosion
of colors and interaction
displayed by plant life
through rock and soil

with all their varied colors
and clear signs of affection
embracing one another
it gives one hope

if only to look away
distracted for a moment
from what humans do
to one another
and our planet

ultimately
ourselves

programming has taken over

now as always
it is again up to us
to regain consciousness

and rediscover

the light

Anonymous said...

We live our lives as wanderers
until, dead, we finally come home.

One quick trip between heaven and earth,
then the dust of a thousand generations....

The Moon Rabbit mixes elixirs for nothing.
The Tree of Long Life is kindling.

Dead, our white bones lie silent
when pine trees lean toward spring.

Remembering, I sigh; looking ahead, I sigh once more:
This life is mist. What fame? What glory?

- Li Po

Anonymous said...

If you are depressed, you are living in the past
If you are anxious, you are living in the future
If you are at peace, you are living in the present

Anonymous said...

I'm poor but happy a man of the Way
all my needs are satisfied by chance
last night the west wind downed an old tree
at daybreak firewood covered the ground
gauze silk clouds adorned red scarps...
dew drop pearls bejeweled green cliffs
what's present has always decided my living
why should I burden myself with plans

- Stonehouse

Alan Jong said...

Most of your writing, and other media is being pimped, towards people, who are hypnotized. I have been under hypnosis, since 2009, when I watched a shit load krishnamurti teachings that mother fucker was a hypnotist. It took me almost 5 years to reverse engineer out of that state. It can never happen again, but most of your readership is hypnotized to one degree or another.

nina said...

Please provide an example of a hypnotized reader of this blog. Thanks Alan.

Alan Jong said...

I was the only one, that I know of, and it's over now, here is a video, and there is no hypnosis that can be run on me, and it was the Earth itself that brought me to the point of seeing it for what it is, the Earth is a very powerful protector, and of that I have no doubts. What you believe is what you believe, what I know is what I know. Sticks and stone may break your bones, my words will devastate you. That is a reconditioning of a conditioning idiom often applied by school children, to get them conditioned for a social hypnosis that is driven by cruel people, who have lost their souls..and have nothing, but a collective consciousness to embody and attach themselves to, or replicate it that way through a form of social engineering, and that crosses a boundary nature protects in good people. How I explain here in this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa8hVpdMUSY

Alan Jong said...

Just leave I, you're an individual. Best Endeavors, Lucifer's Boss.

Anonymous said...

“We Americans are not usually thought to be a submissive people, but of course we are,” Wendell Berry writes. “Why else would we allow our country to be destroyed? Why else would we be rewarding its destroyers? Why else would we all—by proxies we have given to greedy corporations and corrupt politicians—be participating in its destruction? Most of us are still too sane to piss in our own cistern, but we allow others to do so and we reward them for it. We reward them so well, in fact, that those who piss in our cistern are wealthier than the rest of us. How do we submit? By not being radical enough. Or by not being thorough enough, which is the same thing.”

Anonymous said...

I'm ancient, lazy about making poems. There's no company here but old age. I no doubt painted in some former life, roamed the delusion of words in another,... and habits linger. Unable to get free, I somehow became known in the world, but my most fundamental name remains this mind still here beyond all knowing. - Wang Wei [from 'The Selected Poems of Wang Wei', translated by David Hinton]

Terrance said...

Hello Nina ....with what ever time we have left, on this out of balance world, I hope to leave more than I got....onelove......

Anonymous said...

Here comes the sun!

http://dublinsmickdotcom.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/the-all-seeing-eye-is-inside-your-head/#comment-4728