On the Mainstreet level we are talking about why it is that horrible crimes are committed in our name every hour of every day and do nothing to end it. The excuse used to be you didn't really know enough to voice a serious opinion. Later, as you began to recognize the inconsistencies and facts went a lot deeper than you'd imagined, you couldn't see an opening where you might contribute to make a difference, as if you found yourself staring at a monumental glass bubble, with no entry, everyone can see inside and everyone inside can see out, but the two never meet."If you are watching others, as we cannot help but do, you are amazed how much punishment they can take and remarkably, the suicide rate is relatively low for these ongoing horrors. Of course, suicide takes many forms, the most common aside from actually jumping off a tall building is substance abuse in which every act and breath is slow death. Another and likely even more common is the fallback into your pattern suicide. This is where one reverts to autopilot behavior learned from childhood success with the method, the one where you infinitely repeat your scenes, good and bad, in different geographies, employments or social situations meaning they are always disguised from the performers as if something new was taking place requiring a brand new solution every time. This is especially common to repeat victims in domestic violence and repeat offenders of crimes, they fail to note the overall picture of their life is unchanging due to a change of costume and the variance in script."
Horrific decisions are made inside the bubble affecting millions worldwide, but you can only look on, mostly dumbfounded as to how such a thing is taking place. Every now and then it looks as if its going to burst, but it remains and - its growing exactly as the oil slick is spreading through the Gulf into the bayous and inlets and mangroves and the multitude of wildlife reserves (reservations). Just as Charles said in The Art of Survival: Taoism and the Warring States, the point of which is to know your enemy if you intend to be the victor, we must know ourselves if we plan on surviving in spite of the bubble's ruthless appetite for destruction. We are not here to gawk incredulously at the bubble, nor are we here only to be subjected to relentless, indefatigable cruelty.
We have seen the bubble and it is us. It is not literally me or literally you, maybe, it is OF us, IN us, who can deny we assisted in its creation? We have gone along with it, complied with it, argued for our candidates and freely offer up alms. What most of us have not done, in spite of the daily monstrosities, is recognized exactly what part of us makes up the bubble and what to do about it, if anything.
The belief it is going to crash is not valid since on the very day the bubble claims to be in recovery be it slack show trials or lack of finale in war and conflict or partners in crime or innocents made foolish by a spreading of the global debt or incongruous solutions that only worsen the condition, that IS what the bubble becomes as a self-propelling shape-shifter. You have already seen those inside create their own reality at the drop of a press release, which affect us regardless, and never well. Until we dig to the root, we will remain stuck, staring, questioning without knowing, confused and jerked around as we are ostracized and cruelly humiliated by anyone who pleases, anyone oblivious to what is happening here.
We can end it whenever we want. All we must do us recognize the cruelty stops with ourselves. How it inserted itself into the human character is not as important as possessing the awareness to allow it to extinguish itself through your own power by opting out of the cycle. In the learning process, you'll figure out how it happened anyway. WE are where change takes place by walking away, boycotting, refusing to participate, living above the noise, the threats and punishments. Everyone must come to this conclusion by themselves. It you hold serious convictions, allow nothing and no one to dissuade them. Every step back depletes your power until you are again at the mercy of cruelty and hatred.
How we began doesn't have to be how we end this particular trip. Everything we've learned in our relatively recent learning leap turns out to be false, thus false is where we began, at birth, and literally at the birth of domination supported in full by cruelty costumed as the greater good, costumed as political correctness, faking altruism.
Its more than possible the first cruelty was an early reaction to cruelty from outside predation thousands of years ago during colonization. As an interbred population grew in number, cruelty successfully served a multitude of objectives from self-survival to enforcement of obedience under cruel rulers to creating examples of those who refused to accept cruelty's ambient violence. Behind it all is nothing more than the demand one submit and surrender. What are we doing in Afghanistan and Iraq, Iran and Pakistan, Haiti, Somalia, what did we do during Katrina? Why is torture condoned and what is it that sets off the actual perpetrators extending the rack? The list of crimes encompasses the entire planet and still it grows. We are doing two things, stealing resources and replacing objectors to the thefts with starry-eyed and weakened submissives who will supposedly duplicate western behaviors, amplifying the prevalence of cruelty. What goes on in relationships riddled with domestic violence? Demand under pressure to transform the human region into that of complete surrender and submission is what goes on. It only works as long as the pressure is present, i.e.; it does not work, and it is never sustainable. In the long term, cruelty is a complete failure. It is a truth that domestic violence almost always results in death - as in war, as at home. It is all one longstanding, learned pattern. Mainstreet is your household hallway.
It is my firm understanding we have life in order to move higher into the realm of total awareness as we pass though Earth's portal. If we don't get it on the first try, we die to live again and very often recycle many times following each journey until we achieve true awareness which is not death at all. Along the way, suffering - and understanding why we suffer - is key.
I don't fault, fault being merely acknowledgement of cause, the common man for being intractable, determined to avoid awareness of himself and what he does at any cost, I fault him for failing to recognize his own learned patterns of abuse and cruelty as personal survival mechanisms, keeps everyone else tethered to an imaginary premise having no foundation with which to advance into the higher realm.
How good can the so dearly desired "good life" be if all around everyone and everything else is suffering, collapsing, depleting, extincting, going without, robbed of respect and dignity chiefly because of the requirements necessary to preserve the "good life"? The cruel and clueless will never invite the pain of the truth.
Although I recognized the expanse of patterns of cruelty and submission on my own long ago, my sincere thanks and gratitude go to Visible for his honesty and ever fearless voice and Arthur Silber for his Apocalyptic insights, each of whom confirm these truths I bring to your attention with their healing, heartfelt and inspiring works. If you are not already reading their blogs, I suggest you start anywhere and then ... take a look at what kind of world we are living in.
photo: google images
22 comments:
lovely. you remind me of the kate bush part of the peter gabriel song "dont give up".... yes its a horrific realization that we are the architects of our doom but we can choose to see it and then refuse to participate further.
i heard on a radio program a long time ago the story of a 17 year old girl who had been hit by a car while riding her bike. she was very critically injured, and lost on the table, but then brought back from the brink of death into life again.
she was rare in that her near death experience didnt not include the famous into the light and reunited with loved ones scenario. she went to hell instead...a hell that was grim and dark and full of miserable people wailing in sorrowful regret. she spoke of entities passing through her and that the way she moved in this space was to think it and it happened. at one point she found herself in a place with many other people (or souls or whatever) that were being punished by their own knowledge of how they had lived. she said she saw a door - a way out - and thought to go to it and did and then she left and went into pure consciousness. the point was: she could leave...the people stuck there were there because they believed they deserved to be.
we can leave too. and many in this space have done so to the extent that they can. i see a glimpse of what might be in something as simple as turning away from the lies of marketing; of definitions of success and separating want from need.
wonderful post Nina. had to look up simulacra - ha! you got me in paragraph1 this week. now off to investigate your links. thank you!
you are pulling from one mighty deep well with cruelty post. I have been wrestling with the same pattern in relation to what I do and push for a living. How it is a perpetuation of the systems in place that I have always railed against. Yet every morning I get up to go to work to take as much money as I can from the populace(my own way of playing the part of an elite). I of course ask myself: Bob, when are you going to get of your ass and jam.
Thank you for your timely post and the freedom it offers to me to do just that.
Scrap Wood
yeah, read your post—this time, and others. To answer your Q; Why are we in Iraq ? — or any gulf ... at all ? — Go$d — ‘In Go$d, we trust.’—and have our being. Even ‘our’ so-called alternate sites are peddling the very thing that destroys, enslaves ... causes domestic violence, at the hands of international agitators [moreoften U.S. led] ... and yet — perpetrators remain ensconced, sycophantically (sic) adulated — financially rewarded for destroying last vestibules of habitat ... leaving pools of cyanide for native domiciles ... to drink ... while they ? — Continue ...
Aaargh, it's almost too much to bear, this Conspiracy ... of the middle-classes, long may they rot. Survival manuals read unlike any I've read, read like long-winded infomercials to ... yeah, you guessed it—ensure the extinction of wise-beings who have actually lived in harmony with nature for hundreds of thousands of years ... without computers, but have nonetheless successfully communicated wisdom — without them! Now alas, due to encroaching ‘needs’ of predominately (who else?) useless north-american'ts, who don't have a clue, easily deceived by witty salesmen pandering to their ahh, needs — real knowledge is lost forever !
Poignant, yes, this week 50,000 protesters (they ‘get it’) marched up the main road of NZ's largest city opposing yet another gold-mine proposed in pristine habitat, knowing it's product is primarily destined for Nth-american markets fueling demand by ‘useless eaters’. Eat something else—eadible! There's a clue for yuh—free! Call it a hint even, no charge.
Aaargh, I'm not so naive to suggest that any of this information will change anyone's behaviour. Like I said—ensconced. Millions have already been raped, enslaved in their own lands to dig for their oppressors, the yellow metal — then reservated on marginal and inhospitable non-habitat to starve ... to death. Who cares ? WE'RE STILL DOING IT—TODAY, TOMORROW. No-one looks sideways—doesn't concern them, does it ? Soon we won't have to worry about locals, because we'll all be international ... ly sophisticated. Well, the blood of innocents, they have on their hands, will one day rise up from the very ground they stole ... and snuff them—hallalujah—indeed there may be signs of it happening already — ‘bring it on!’ Kali. I'm on the sidelines, cheering. Justice.
— ‘The Puritan hated bear-baiting, not because it gave pain to the bear, but because it gave pleasure to the spectators.’
Great post.
I too need to reconsider my relationship to systems of cruelty.
My dad was the first force for cruelty in my/our lives... I still remember crawling down the stairs one night, as I heard commotion downstairs. My mom was threatening to call the police, and my dad ripped the phone off the wall.
I think I've spent most of my energy on "recovery" and exploration operations, while my brother, for example, has devoted much time and energy to "success." He makes a fairly large income. He participates in triathlons, marathons, races, etc. He never stops training, planning, doing. Yet when he stops or pauses, he gets depressed. He feels isolated. I believe that BECAUSE he has all the trappings of success, he resents not being happy even more than he would otherwise.
That is, he is angry that he hasn't been able to win or earn happiness. One of his defenses is to scoff at the ideas of ne'er-do-wells like me. But when he gets really depressed or suicidal, who does he call?
He defended Goldman Sachs at my mother's birthday lunch last week. Egads.
My wife made my son cry by trying to force him to smile for a photo during the lunch. I told her to never try to force him to smile for a photo again. Even I, as an adult, don't believe in forcing my lips into a rictus if I'm really not in the mood to smile. Forced smiles: part of institutionalized cruelty. Force the prisoners to look like they are not prisoners.
At the same time, I've decided to be more honest about my feelings and reactions: if someone offends me or hurts me or creeps me out, I will tell them. That's not being cruel, though... and then you don't build up so much repressed anger, the release of which does cause cruelty.
So it goes.
I will not smile for them either.
Good for being with your son in that seemingly simple thing that becomes another step to becoming an obedient toy or GI Joe.
Was reflecting on some that treat their pets better than their families or their neighbours.
Pets are obedient so they get the hugs and treats.
I'm stubborn, disobedient and willfull. No hugs no treats.
Sun blazing. No sea bath, too much work. You thought it was all smoking in hammocks!?
Later, turey.
funny, turey!!!
(great to see you in the last post)
My friends, your comments are excellent and heartening, all of you, very wise. Have we noticed how the GS fraud investigation hearings meshed into Times Square vying for coverage with Deepwater? Our attention is stretched to the limit of comprehension. But everything happening has roots in earlier events - shall I say learned (promoted, legal, desired) patterns of abusive behavior?
Do see The Oil Drum today. We have reached the limit of technology, the cap as shown is discussed in depth and some serious oilmen have serious doubts. Also, if you haven't read the Archdruid Report/John Michael Greer this week, its the perfect followup as we look around and see the great Rube Goldberg apparatus disintegrating before our very eyes. Sadly, it is all related. My bet is on more complexity because they really don't know what to do about anything. It will cost all of us heavily.
Mark this day, then ask what comes next?
My thoughts are with the wildlife, the fish and fowl, the poor and downtrodden and our children's futures. Big big changes must come, but if the way things proceed is the way they've gone (and continue) it won't come soon enough.
I will get beck to each of you individually tonight, its been a long day and tomorrow is going to be another. Sorry and thanks for your patience. There is a lot to discuss and I WILL be around.
Turey, what is lying in a hammock smoking without Red Stripe? I mean, hey, let's get real here.
Hot Hops.
Hope the hammock comes soon so I can do the fantasy.
turey.
"inizer" Instant Irie.
Ahhh Nina, I'm just facing the cruelties inflicted within my family. By mouth and assumptions.
May I not continue them.
Don't treat me like a dog!
Treat me like a lizard. Curious and friendly, unwilling to bite except when choosing a mate.
turey.
"ships-ym" OK, will call freight people and see.
If you twist the roots the tree cannot grow straight. Sometimes, I feel like I was bonsai'd by the casual cruelty of my father and the school system. The one for his casual violence and hypocritical piety and the other for the complete failure to nurture my education.
With the big spill in the Gulf and weird weather continuing it's clear that we may as well lash our grandchildren in their cribs as get in a car and drive about. I keep waiting for the sheep to look up; it never seems to happen.
Thanks for this, Nina, and wonderful contributors. I am glad to see you are all still here.
Z
Hi Z! Pangolin! Everybody! So much for getting back individually, there's just too much going on.
Meanwhile, speaking of cruelty and abuse, a great film, Wuthering Heights, is coming up, here is the schedule on Ovation TV:
(This is the rare and raw 1992 version with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche.)
Sunday, May 9, 2010, 08:00PM
Monday, May 10, 2010, 12:00AM
Thursday, May 13, 2010, 07:00PM
10:00PM
Saturday, May 15, 2010, 03:00PM
Note the music - heartbreaking Japanese flute, the architecture, the landscape, the lifestyle we will soon be living ourselves without the luxuries and comforts of easy oil, natural gas and its by product, propane. I suggest taping it if possible, its one you can get into over and over and learn something new about humanity and survival every time. Highly recommended.
I'm suspended between inner re-runs of my Wuthering Hights and the freshess of Higher Hights. My spirit always urges the latter.
Glad we don't get Ovation here.
Was entranced by the Tudors though. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do in the context he/she's in, or not. Have we moved any distance from water hole and female possession fights?
More complex drama, badder weapons. The same greed/insecurity and me, my, mine and ours grabbing.
Helloooo!!! Any Homo Sapiens around?
Lies of marketing.
Definitions of success.
Separating want from need.
Thanks Chickory, three guides out of it and back to human.
Later, turey.
Your post haunts me, Nina. Yours on cruelty, mine on control, which usually uses cruelty as a tactic. Thinking of my departed mother and step-mother on this Mother's Day. Both married to men who declared their love for them, but treated them cruelly. Both lived long-suffering lives,and yet managed to bless me with nothing but loving kindness.
I think cruelty begins in the family. Harsh actions, words, judgments intended to control, diminish, and keep the child away. It wouldn't be so bad, but when those actions are justified as part of their "loving" you, the mind-fuck begins.
Denial, displaced rage, exploitation, substitute behaviors like over-eating or over spending to fill the empty hole inside could probably be mitigated with the simple, but painful truth, "Honey, Daddy (or Mommy) doesn't actually love you. I'm sorry. But I do and other people will." The truth can set one free.
I'm making "rice & peas," turey. Thinking of you and Nina.
I think cruelty begins in the family. Harsh actions, words, judgments intended to control, diminish, and keep the child away. It wouldn't be so bad, but when those actions are justified as part of their "loving" you, the mind-fuck begins.
And now we know why so many people flinch inside when somebody says the word "jesus."
oracle says: apent. The penance you do before you consider harsh words or action. So much more effective than repentance.
Thinking of my departed mother and step-mother on this Mother's Day. Both married to men who declared their love for them, but treated them cruelly. Both lived long-suffering lives,and yet managed to bless me with nothing but loving kindness.
There is a long story behind this, isn't there. I have yet to meet any enlightened person who did not become that way without seriously suffering. I can understand those womens' points of view, how perfectly they exemplify the very subject of this essay. Both know the abuse stops with them. Strong girls, I would think.
Pangolin, there are more sheep waking up everyday, the problem is it never seems to make a dent in the herd.
How's the lifestyle working out? You know we fret.
"...strong girls, I would think."
Boy, you got that right. True story: I was living in Tahoe and my mother was old and pretty demented and living in a nursing home in Washington. I was sitting around one day with Murph and suddenly had a vision. I saw the soul of my mom rising from her body and slowly swirling counterclockwise and getting brighter and bigger and bigger until it was way bigger than her physical body. I said to murph, "Hey, I think my mom just died." It came to me while witnessing this that she had been a very big and powerful soul, much more powerful than she seemed to be in physical life. And, it came to me that she had signed up for the task of mitigating the damage that my father could have done if she had not been there.
I was reeling from this, when my brother called and said that the nursing home has just called him to notify him that mom had died.
Speaking of lifestyles....
http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/topofthetimes/topstories/la-me-weeds-ss,0,4653627.htmlstory
Z
Z, FA, moderation is on for posts older than two weeks. I didn't see your comments until today which shows that I have been slacking off, actually riveted to the Gulf Blowout.
Z - I saw the link at the Trouts moments after you posted it, its wonderful as are your comments, always.
FA, well, that is astounding! I know it happened just like that too, when I was 12 I made my mother pull over and we had to sit there until my "anxious feeling" was under control. Her mom had passed and we had no way of knowing it because we were on the road.
Oh, for sure we KNOW things, but what is it illegal or something? Geeze.
Post a Comment