D E E P I N T O A R T L I F E WEST

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

False Spring

You know where you are, there's no need to broadcast in blazing logo you are literally where you expected to arrive. I just don't feel its necessary to shout in bold fonts your location, as if this was a major metropolitan center with every gleaming skyscraper insuring its corporate ownership reminding you again and again, "See Me", Remember Me", You want me, you need me, you love me, I am your normal daily requirement." Like wax paper perhaps. Like your debit card.

Indeed, I was going to change my blogging style and I have not. Well, maybe some things are better left unchanged, wouldn't you say? I'm a little tired of changes anyway. There are plenty of people thriving on change, but this depends on what you call change. Change is good, but not change that pretends it isn't change. Or change that refuses to explain itself. Change that is disguised as altruistic and is not. And especially change that comes in multiples, plural avalanches globally echoing throughout the Universe requiring the upending of the stories of previously time-tested absolutes that are daily proven to be something else, holes punched through the plasma revealing a larger, greater Universe of which we are less than nothing, could it be, are we droplets of liquid in another planet's hurricane? Until such time we actually go there we will not know. We cannot go there at the rate we are going. Surely going there is an option for other civilizations on other planets, but not this one - even though you can be sure it has been a goal of humankind since Lucy looked up and saw diamonds.

If Lucy was our ancestor, that is. After what has transpired these few months into the second decade of this century, we could if we were moved to do so, rewrite the story in its entirety. Its my understanding this is what an Apocalypse does. It unveils the truth. Visible's last few essays confirm my observations, it is no accident the speed with which events are unfurling their secret catacombs. I know we have been over 911 hundreds of times or more and yet it remains immediate. You'll want to see Rick's essay up today. And after that, you'll want to follow it with Chris Floyd's post. I found it impossible to leave comments at either blog, we've said it all already and yet, the mind will spring something on you when you least expect it so its probably more effective to wait it out than repeat a mantra. The Apocalypse will no doubt do its part as it does with the closet bubbas living in your neighborhood. There is nothing to envy there and more than enough to empathize and commiserate with. Indeed, we are all one, except for those who are not human stripmined jugglers starring on streetcams.

Our new painting in the gallery has zero to do with the general thrust of our absurd situation. This is why I paint these scenes and will continue to paint this way. Yes, I so detest what is happening to our lovely Earth, in future times it must be known once there was something decent. This is not a moral judgement, it is personal pain and this style and activity is pain relief like none other. To have seen it in all its glory, to have identified with something deep and personal in the reality that touched and stirred an unconscious Jungian chord, to work though the process of recreation with whatever flaws and foibles the days' work weaves into the scene is sheer incalculable wealth and tranquility. If for little else, for this I am grateful, for whatever else this journey is about, maybe nothing, maybe everything, it is almost enough.

32 comments:

chickory said...

i loved the transition from the psychodelic Lucy to the elemental Lucy; you free associate like no other writer. I see you continue to find fascination in the early fog in both photographs and now this watercolor. What are those trees? are they still bare from winter? pretty you used green in the sky and a hint of lavender and pink to indicate rust -and the silvery grasses in the foreground bring it all together. I see a little change...the smaller (quiet) title over the image. i like it. When you paint i see triumph over resignation and a continuing faith in goodness and beauty.

nina said...

Thanks Chickory, very insightful, it takes one to know one ... the Oaks are the slowest species to unfurl their leaves, their buds are so small they don't show up in photography and this image is of February. There have been many snows since, including this past Monday, although each time I'm sure its the last until next winter. Here we are in April and the Oaks' buds are only slightly larger. They will be bursting with dark green and green/dusty blue lobed leaves by June. The geography here is awesome, treats and surprises around every bend.

Susannah said...

I love the way oaks always unfurl such a dark green as to appear brown.
And then suddenly that fresh, fresh almost lime green becomes prevalent - sublime tonic for the soul.

Echo Chicory's sentiments in your beautiful honoring of substance, and right effort. And the sorrow at its apparent demise.
Know however, that you are the epitome of that honour and substance - something I am most grateful for.

nina said...

Mother of the snake charmer, let's look at our old friend, Okie Budding for reference. Okie's got a lot of lime. You have a wonderful eye for detail, a rare quality.

freeacre said...

Nina,
I find myself coming to your site for comfort. Even though your take on things can sometimes be even darker than mine, it all seems to be insulated by mist and mental design and emotional juice that somehow helps me cope. Feeling exceptionally inarticulate today. I think I'll just lie down in the grass outside that house.

nina said...

Aha, you are one of us. You belong, we all belong, together. I feel the same way too, btw, been off essay writing lately, been somewhere bleak, but not at the Campfire which so helps to put it in perspective, we are not alone in these unusual days and nights. Have a visit at Su's and Chickory's soon (links above), silly isn't it we're like the last girl scouts on the planet, hands on hearts.
Now that it is April that grass is lush emerald and long, just right for a light wind to caress your Bass tattoo.
New post in the gallery you might like. See if you agree that the one after the B/W drawing is better...
One thing to keep in mind, at least you are connecting which is a damn sight better than a lot of others who are just lost.
I'm thrilled you come here anyway.

nina said...

OH FO PAH, you can see I am not a fisherwoman, but I have had the blessed fortune of landing in an uncharted bay without sleep for 36 hours and being shown a safe spot and handed fish in a bucket by kind men in a rowboat after rounding Cabo Rojo on the way to Jacmel. So much ocean and so little fish expertise, a crying shame.

This was stolen from Chickory Farms for FA with apologies to both.

Pangolin said...

It was a sweet day down here on the flats. Morning at the market and afternoon at the Grange open house chatting with strangers. None of the wind that's been knocking down the valley but a breeze.

I honor your painting the soft light and the small victories of life. I live in an artsy town and there's always some student 'eyeballs and teeth' work hanging around. Beautiful young girls painting self portraits of themselves as jaded prostitutes.

Dumb kids not realizing that the dark side always has a hand in play. Too young to get that there's no need to call it; it's right with you. It's the creating, the seeding, the nurturing and building that requires endless diligent effort. Then the dusting, washing, patching and mending.

Build the world fresh every day. The way you want it to be. Paint it, talk it, write it, dance it, tap it on a coffee can. Choose again.

Anonymous said...

All's well lBoy and Girl Scouts.

Livity still rules here!

$ is eying the jewels, there are too many Scouts here. Many lost in $. Many waking up to the gifts bestowed.

Passed through Tresure Beach yesterday and greeted my local family and Miss Mary, the family head who passed last year. Her remains are on the land among the young and the new heads.

Pomegranate, cactus, lignum vitae, mangoes, cashews. South Jamaica. Different. Workers and crafstspeople. No idling yet allowing the dreamers their time and space.

Much fog in the hills Nina. Ghosts in bars and crouched against the chill. Flowers busting out, fruit falling.

While there is life there is hope. Indeed.

Later, turey.

nina said...

Good morning Pangolin, thank you, children are like that, everyday being a new day, aren't you off to dance church today?
And thank you also for the video last week of the bikefest. Being on dialup, it comes to me in starts and burps if at all, but I did note the sleeveless and tanktopped - meaning you got a better deal on weather than us mountaineers.
Did you see the undulating clouds this week? YES! Undulating. Almost paintable. What on God's Earth would create undulating cloud patterns?
Dance, boy. Shake it out.

Vword: nogain - sitting still unless you are meditating or doing nothing, both actually leading somewhere so "no gain" is an impossiblity unless the equity of simply living is tricked out of the people.

nina said...

Rasta, we got snow on the radar for this week. Meanwhile I think of you and your new/old life and how incredible it all is, you are one of the blessed. Do you go back to your relatives home after Treasure Beach or are you hanging out with the people? How does it feel, do you feel its a fit yet? Is there much talk of sea level rise or global warming? Have they stopped wanting to expatriate?
I want all the details if you get the urge to tell all at some point.

nina said...

For those of you who have not yet visited, Su's most recent entry is a masterwork. I keep going back in case I missed something which is easy to do because there is so much.

Anonymous said...

Not much thought on sea level rise among those I've been with. Development goes on on the beaches. Shortsighted and robs the people of sea access pleasure. Kingston was in the middle of a long drought. Deforestation? Global Climate Swings? ElNino/La Nina? Solar Excess?

Party and business goes on 24/7. Lots of cement mansions, pretty cars and gold jewelry. I bet lots of protein etc defficiency too. US diet and/or hi carb diet due to poor cash flow among those not into the bigger $ games.

Man a suffa! Some are certainly living it up. Many consider the US just another Parish of Ja. Go shop or make "a money" and come back to "Yaad", bredrin and family and continue the party.

Met good souls in the middle of it all. There always are.

Took a $7 bus ride from MoBay to Kingston. Xtian lady started the trip with the most emotionally pure powerful rap I ever heard. Good people that take lots of hard times and keep on going.

Walked with my backpack with old and gold in bad bad man area. No prob. Just like diving in the ocean, fear attracts all sorts of things with teeth and appetites for a well fed whitishman.

Made a West Indian ebony carving mallet. My lignum vitae one has a different 'bounce' The wood sells for good bucks in the exotic wood shops. Sold for fenceposts in a certain place. Treasures abound for those with eyes to see.

More later.

turey.

nina said...

You've nutshelled it well. I get a sense that you are putting trepidations aside and going forward with whatever catches your attention. That's excellent. I'd do exactly the same thing.

Anonymous said...

Every drop of encouragement is a balm for my spirit.

Remember the Stone's "It's so very lonely, you're two thousand light years from home"?

Such exhilaration in the vastness of that loneliness, such awe at my real condition. Yet a chance I have to express love through action. A tiny gesture by a tiny creature on a tiny planet. Maybe some sensible patterns may emerge from all of our gropings.

Later, turey.

su said...

Nina,

A moment of profound gratitude for your un - vacillating presence.
So many of us come to visit your easel and scribing.
Open door policy
Free speech policy
Ever loving, ever present, you always have a clear space for us to place our shoes.
And in the inner room, by the hearth, we gather and share our worlds.
So different and yet united under this manifesttaion that I address as you, fellow herder and creature appreciator.

With you I have experienced NC winters with no propane. I became enamored with your stick pile and the determination that it must have needed for it to happen.
Met he animals, the fire keeper, the elks, Rwanda, the man and woman. A whole world unfolded in your domain.
And I am a part of that.

At a time it was jj who danced up the pathway with us.
His words - a never ending, ever fresh acknowledgment of the experiencing that we relayed.
In poetry and prose he danced with us.

Now Chicory is the one I meet along the path - and in her hearth I have been witness to softness and beauty, a wildness of existence wrapped in a gossamer thread.

And in your lounge Zoner, Publicus, Pangolin - Pangolin
who visits interesting places and really talks to the people who live in them. With Pangolin I have met untouched people - he observes so closely.

Publicus - Raising a son in such a conscious manner. Choosing to do your best.
Zoner - A guitar and a fervent search - where is he now?
Amd Turey - I smile at your adventure, I can imagine the aloness. My own inner traveler and sculptor is meeting herself through you on your journey.
Oh yes and beautiful Psychegram and his journey to science and love simultaneously.
Ravi - an Hafiz in our midst

Too often I feel things that I do not express. An Aquarian thing I am told. So with this level of feeling and sentiment I wanted to acknowledge you Nina for your total embrace, of your enormous acceptance, of your sharing of grief, rage, despair, curiosity, and pure love.

Thank you
again and again.

nina said...

It is a progressive miracle that we are all passing through at the same time. I am fond of Visible's take which was we were together in the past as well. In Rome, in caves, in plagues and biblical times, with slaves and kings and always each other. I think its a very good sign of where we are heading.

Thank you Su-nami for taking the time to state your feelings. I return the sentiment in full.

nina said...

...Yet a chance I have to express love through action...

As far as I can tell, Dread, there is no higher calling.

Jacob Gittes said...

Hi all. Thanks, dear su, for the words to us.

I am getting ready to go to a third interview at a place to work that would be way better than my current position. I guess I'm still in the running, then, if they want me back for a third time.
We had an interesting weekend here... see my latest blog post on all the amazing musicians, artists, and dancers that we interacted with. It seems that as I open myself to the good forces, I encounter them more. Now, I hope the evil forces leave me alone. I have enabled them, I am realizing more and more.
Turey: you are the man! We would love to see photos of some kind.

We all need more "quiet time", I am realizing. Our modern economic system is designed to deprive us of quiet time, because that might allow us to become happy with ourselves and our tribe just the way we are, and we wouldn't need endless supplies of addictive junk.
A guitar and a violin and a couple of voices on the riverbank. A bird. The sound of the current in the river. The silence.

Burnie said...

Wanted to stop and say hello, I was probably a bit over the top last time I left comments, blame on relief at finding others who might entertain some of the thoughts I have. I usually just read and not comment but sometimes cannot refrain from adding my thoughts.
Your art is still a pleasure. I have to say, if I have not already, that I am surrounded by people that are creative. Question; are you all seeming to have more illumination/insight lately. It seems so here.
Hello to all.

nina said...

Burnie, Burnie, Burnie, Burnie, I don't think you have it in you to be over the top and especially not here. Your thoughts are very well received and not just by me.

Answer: Insights by the truckloads on a frequent basis. Some, intuitive, most, obvious, and supported by an almost inexhaustable series of difficult, to say the least, revelations that put fact to intuition. Then we get days/nights like the past week and come to find our revelations are unfortunately right on target.

The Apocalypse just keeps on coming. There is a lot to say about this, I'll probably put something together tonight because its nearly impossible to think about much else. It always depends on how much quiet time is available.

nina said...

Publius, ...We all need more "quiet time", I am realizing. Our modern economic system is designed to deprive us of quiet time, because that might allow us to... connect with our spirituality. If that were ever allowed to happen, everything would collapse except love, compassion, kindness, reverence, appreciation and gratitude.

Pangolin said...

On quiet time. I may have mentioned before that I don't have any, as in zero, recorded music. Lately I haven't turned the radio on either where my lifelong habit has been to have pretty constant radio playing.

It's a revelation. When I do go to a musical event, dance church or live music performance it's like drowning in the finest chocolate. A human voice singing gets my full attention. Tears of joy are frequent and welcome.

Like candy, music is best in measured doses. Speaking of which I have a new post up on "just enough."

Anonymous said...

As a side bar to the cash bar. There is a simple fix to the world as we now know it. Plant, fix, make simple things that enhance life and reflect craftsmanship. Care for things; care for each other. Make music and dance. Live, love, and create. When your self-esteem arises through your own creative hands, your need to consume thoughtlessly and needlessly diminishes in direct proportion to your rising competence and confidence.

Scrap Wood

Anonymous said...

I forgot to credit my friend and fellow woodworker Doug Stowe for the above post. He has a wonderful blog that references the hands as well as the education of our youth. Check it out if you like. http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com/

Scrap Wood

Anonymous said...

Yes Scrap Wood. Those digits had best learn more than qwerty. The starting, processing and completion of a work indeed allows one to witness and test their depths and encourage to more and better.

I pass wonderful woods waiting to be formed wherever I go in Jamaica; manificent tree carcasses laying unloved on roadsides. Many are born carvers here. If the Blacksmiths were still around we'd have chisels for the people. Regardless, old machettes and knives are often brought into service.

Nina, I can't raise your email on this comp. Where's the best to send pics?

turey.

nina said...

Rasta, on my profile. Click profile and go from there. You lost it in the move, yes? That happens to me in every crash, which won't happen for awhile on this one, but I learned to be prepared and keep up a little wheeldex for just such a purpose.

Pictures? Oh, I would love pictures. Let me know if the email doesn't work for you.

nina said...

Bob, thanks for the link, what a great and timely education.

nina said...

Rick, where is your blog Writings on the Wall? It was great! And I can't find it tonight. Its gone. What happened?

Pangolin said...

Dmitri Orlov just slammed one out of the park with his most recent blog post:The Great Unreasoning. Fair warning that you won't want to read it with any kind of fuzzy head or distractions.

Scrappy, I owe you for that link. The clear connections made between action in craft and neural structure are things I think should be must read items. It allowed me to cohere thoughts that have been rattling my head for ages.

For example; I declare that nobody should be allowed to design buildings until they have worked with building repair teams for several years. I write this in a house, designed by an accredited architect, built by a licensed contractor, that leaks. Along with every house on the block.

v'word: preadica, the encyclopedia of registered predictions.

chickory said...

Getting away from noise was probably in the top 3 reasons i moved out of the city. its such an assault on the psyche and you cant turn it off. Good luck, publius on your job interview! Look for a chicken to arrive sometime next week.

Nina, loved the oak SU posted of yours. magical.

*has something happened? i noticed you and su turned on comment mod recently*


nina: a new cardinal is at the feeder!!! i am delighted and healed.

nina said...

Chickory, comment moderation is turned on only for posts two weeks old and older. I found spammers hit the archives.

HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY! I'm sure the new Cardinal is your gift from the Good Forces. One day, somehow, it will all make perfect sense.

Thanks, Okie Budding looks just like his painting this week, lime and lush.